Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it would have been cool if the show itself actually had an 80's/90's cartoon throwback aesthetic. Like it was some sort of lost cartoon from TNG's heyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the yellow highlights on the hull and the general shape of the saucer but the rest of that design is absolute dogshit.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I hope the Pike show does an episode where they bump into Balthazar Edison (still played by Idris Elba, maybe still Krall at first) but they wind up getting through to him and he goes through an arc of coming to terms with his unreasonable xenophobia and becoming a decent person who maybe dies saving a Xindi ship or something.

You know, like they should have done in Beyond.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If they can throw a lot of money at Jolene Blalock and beg her to come back, I would love to see old T’Pol make an appearance.

Please validate my love of Enterprise, CBS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

If they can throw a lot of money at Jolene Blalock and beg her to come back, I would love to see old T’Pol make an appearance.

I know the show still has a beige and boring reputation but I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been renewed recognition of her performance within the fanbase now that it’s streaming on a billion different platforms. She’s easily the best thing about that show and it’s even evident in the lovely early episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Golden Gael posted:

I hope the Pike show does an episode where they bump into Balthazar Edison (still played by Idris Elba, maybe still Krall at first) but they wind up getting through to him and he goes through an arc of coming to terms with his unreasonable xenophobia and becoming a decent person who maybe dies saving a Xindi ship or something.

You know, like they should have done in Beyond.
Edison was from the Enterprise era, he probably would not still be alive by the 2250s

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Bloop posted:

In this case it's both a joke about dumb ships and a metaphor for the division between the upper and lower decks

Probably, it's a comedy

The arrow from the title is still pointing at the saucer section, so as much as that metaphor would make sense I don't actually think it's correct here.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

HD DAD posted:

Discovery would have been better had T'Pol been Burnham's mentor rather than forcing Sarek and Spock into the series.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zaroff posted:

Discovery would have been better had T'Pol been Burnham's mentor rather than forcing Sarek and Spock into the series.

That would have required kurtzman and chabon to know literally anything about other star trek shows

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ramadu posted:

That would have required kurtzman and chabon to know literally anything about other star trek shows

Chabon has nothing to do with Discovery. He can only be the bogeyman for one show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They reference Enterprise events in Disco, they are somewhat aware.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t wait for Lower Decks because I’m an idiot who doesn’t remember that he hated every Star Trek thing to come out in the last 20 years.

But seriously, I’ll give it a chance and I’m legitimately looking forward to it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

I can’t wait for Lower Decks because I’m an idiot who doesn’t remember that he hated every Star Trek thing to come out in the last 20 years.

But seriously, I’ll give it a chance and I’m legitimately looking forward to it.

I think it's going to be terrible, but I'll give it a try and a fair shake and hope to be surprised. I can't imagine an animated show in the TNG era going in a very odd different direction as much as Discovery and Picard have.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sad King Billy posted:

That design is rather dumb and reminds me of the Oberth, with the primary and secondary hulls being widely separated.

I like it because being this is a comedy they will probably address and make jokes out of all the fan criticisms of the Oberth design over the years.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Edison was from the Enterprise era, he probably would not still be alive by the 2250s

Yeah, but he is though. Everything that happened before the Kelvin incident is canon in the Original Timeline. Edison/Krall is still on that planet. Also this means anything changed in the Kelvinverse isn't--Captain Robeau could show up 20 years older. Kirk's father may still be serving; he's certainly still alive. Admiral Marcus would be a younger but well regarded (though probably secretly racist) officer.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Lower Decks will launch August 6th on CBS All Access, still no word on non-US/Canada release.

Edit: poster

Is the yellow arrow their way of begging Amazon to pay for the international rights?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HD DAD posted:

She married the dude who owns Ticketmaster so for her to come back it would have to be something other than money.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

She married the dude who owns Ticketmaster so for her to come back it would have to be something other than money.

At the time there was a lot of talk that she was apparently quite a big Trek fan herself, which is part of why she was so pissed off with how they treated her character. Dunno how true that is (it's always common for actors to talk about much of an honour it is to be taking a role) but if it was it would be great to have her come back and play a good role.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

At the time there was a lot of talk that she was apparently quite a big Trek fan herself, which is part of why she was so pissed off with how they treated her character. Dunno how true that is (it's always common for actors to talk about much of an honour it is to be taking a role) but if it was it would be great to have her come back and play a good role.

I can't imagine the current regime improving anything. We'd probably end up seeing whatever the most depressing backstory they could think of for her combined with some sort of gruesome body horror inflicted on her or someone she cares about.

My best hope for Lower Decks is that it is the show Kurtzman mostly ignores.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

pyrotek posted:

Is the yellow arrow their way of begging Amazon to pay for the international rights?

it seems to be pointing to where there should be poo poo connecting the two sections of the ship

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

it seems to be pointing to where there should be poo poo connecting the two sections of the ship

They'll never be whole without their Amazon money

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

pyrotek posted:

Its animated in trailer that there is a lower rear section (rear end) where the 'lower decks' are.

loving hell LOWER DECKS are down below, not in 'haha funny posterior saucer part' joke
yet another picard writers series

I feel old and angry over nothing but ST:PIC taught me to be like that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It turns out that the true final frontier was the anger we suppressed along the way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Its animated in trailer that there is a lower rear section (rear end) where the 'lower decks' are.

Trailer :confused:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Not only was she supposedly a big Trek fan, but she was specifically a huge Spock fan so getting to play the 'first Vulcan' on Star Trek was a very exciting opportunity for her.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

oh sweet they released a trailer for lower decks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuYY7ERQfU

edit: trailer looks awesome, can't wait to watch the show

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A few months ago people were making GBS threads on the Crossfield-class and I wrote a big effortpost on how, yes, it looks kind of weird when it’s zoomed out, but the exaggerated proportions and flat body made it look fantastic in “hero” shots. When the Discovery swoops in close over the camera, it looks sleek and fast, and in the few instances we get of the stereotypical establishing shot of the ship in orbit over a planet, it looks properly dramatic.

I really want to know what the goal was with the design of the Cerritos. We have exactly one picture of it, and it’s a hero shot, but it looks... clunky? I get that it’s not supposed to be a “hero”, since the Cerritos isn’t a very important ship, but what’s the design supposed to invoke instead?

I’m really looking forward to the show, though. I could use some sci-fi comedy, and since everything doesn’t have to be about DRAMA then maybe we won’t have to sit through a bunch of “what if the Federation... is bad???” takes. Give me a bunch of weird hijinks that the Memory Alpha nerds will bend into contortions over trying to fit new details into their page on trombones.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Have they said whether Lower Decks is going to be a week by week thing, or an all at once dump?

If it comes out weekly, I wonder whether Discovery season 3 will be held back until Lower Decks is completed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

blastron posted:

A few months ago people were making GBS threads on the Crossfield-class and I wrote a big effortpost on how, yes, it looks kind of weird when it’s zoomed out, but the exaggerated proportions and flat body made it look fantastic in “hero” shots. When the Discovery swoops in close over the camera, it looks sleek and fast, and in the few instances we get of the stereotypical establishing shot of the ship in orbit over a planet, it looks properly dramatic.

I really want to know what the goal was with the design of the Cerritos. We have exactly one picture of it, and it’s a hero shot, but it looks... clunky? I get that it’s not supposed to be a “hero”, since the Cerritos isn’t a very important ship, but what’s the design supposed to invoke instead?

Its supposed to evoke "hey, remember TNG?"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Yeah sorry, cbs is catering ST to 'wider audiences' now so...https://www.instagram.com/p/CCG2i22nN5B here is the 'trailer'

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I hate these types of jokes

The only good toilet humor is in a "it's a logical part of the story, a fact of life, and we're not going to censor it" kind of way, like the joke at the end of Birds of Prey involving a swallowed diamond and a colander and in any other context it's always really lazy and hamfisted

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah sorry, cbs is catering ST to 'wider audiences' now so...https://www.instagram.com/p/CCG2i22nN5B here is the 'trailer'

They're all making the Epic face, doesn't fill me with confidence

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

blastron posted:

People are overthinking it.

It's a b-story ship, so it looks like one of the clunky kitbashes we would see in the background of an episode. Beyond that I suspect it's also very intentionally made to be a bit awkward looking so that it is easier to quickly draw from different angles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Beyond that I suspect it's also very intentionally made to be a bit awkward looking so that it is easier to quickly draw from different angles.

Oh like the space shots aren't going to be cell shaded CG.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

multijoe posted:

They're all making the Epic face, doesn't fill me with confidence

I think Boimler's face is less "Epic Face" and more "'Ohhh, poo poo!' Face."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snorb posted:

I think Boimler's face is less "Epic Face" and more "'Ohhh, poo poo!' Face."

Well yeah, he's the show's designated butt monkey. Morty. Etc. You can tell that with 100% confidence from the three preview images we've seen.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

galenanorth posted:

I hate these types of jokes

The only good toilet humor is in a "it's a logical part of the story, a fact of life, and we're not going to censor it" kind of way, like the joke at the end of Birds of Prey involving a swallowed diamond and a colander and in any other context it's always really lazy and hamfisted

I really enjoyed the Used Colostomy Bag sequence from Half in the Bag way back.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

piratepilates posted:

an animated show in the TNG era

Have they specified exactly when it takes place?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Have they specified exactly when it takes place?

It's set in 2380, so right after Nemesis.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Lower Decks trailer was uploaded unlisted in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoESUDUXp0g

https://streamable.com/ds72si

I think the ship looks better from different angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

xerxus posted:

Lower Decks trailer was uploaded unlisted in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoESUDUXp0g

https://streamable.com/ds72si

I think the ship looks better from different angles.

Am I dead inside or does this not look funny at all?