Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJg-eMD2LZ0

Thanks to the tviv disc for giving me that opening so I don't have to search!

Anyone who grew up in the 90's probably also watch Unsolved Mysteries. I know I did with my grandmother; fond memories. Thankfully a few years back Filmrise (people behind the current releases of Forensic Files) started releasing slightly remastered seasons on a variety of platforms. I know Amazon prime had it for one, as does Hulu (for some episodes). A platform called Tubi also seems to have it as well. Regardless, they are all there (with small text updates!) for your perusal. Initially it was hosted by the late great Robert Stack, and then after he died a small revival/remix of it was hosted by Dennis Farina on spike (remember that channel?).

Anyways, Netflix, as they are wont to do, has revived the series in a slightly different format. Nobody could come close to the gravitas of Robert Stack, so they are opting to not have a discrete host, and they have also changed the format. Instead of multiple different stories (I imagine to make it easy to put in commercial breaks as well as getting a bunch of variety in) each episode interspersed by the host walking through a call center or dark alley, it takes a more documentarian approach to things.

Anyways, here's the trailer for the new episodes, out now! (I meant to make this thread last week, but :effort:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4FrgGILM8

Oh and yes they are keeping the spooky stuff in it seems!

(I don't know how I only found out about this revival until last week. Ach ja.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This is a note to myself to get the time to do a doo doo doo doo thing with proper sub and super tags

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
for the first episode is anyone else, like, thinking that he was developing schizophrenia, or had some other psychotic break due to work or was on the outs because of the things he was writing about, thought he had to go to the hotel for whatever reason (secret society paranoia, meeting someone, genuine sudden suicidal intent) made his way to the roof (while someone on a break isn't exactly inconspicuous, the swiss cheese model of failure is a thing) got to one of the corners and was pushed or slipped (what was the weather like that day?) fell down, bounced off the ledge and tumbled down to the roof? I mean, the momentum a cell phone or pair of glasses wouldn't exactly come close to a 250 or whatever pound man so its far from unusual to see those relatively undamaged.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

for the first episode is anyone else, like, thinking that he was developing schizophrenia, or had some other psychotic break due to work or was on the outs because of the things he was writing about, thought he had to go to the hotel for whatever reason (secret society paranoia, meeting someone, genuine sudden suicidal intent) made his way to the roof (while someone on a break isn't exactly inconspicuous, the swiss cheese model of failure is a thing) got to one of the corners and was pushed or slipped (what was the weather like that day?) fell down, bounced off the ledge and tumbled down to the roof? I mean, the momentum a cell phone or pair of glasses wouldn't exactly come close to a 250 or whatever pound man so its far from unusual to see those relatively undamaged.

I’m not a mental health professional, but can you have a schizophrenic/mental break that quickly without any kind of warning signs whatsoever? Seems like his wife and friends would have noticed something off about him, and they all seem to indicate in the interviews that he seemed completely normal in the days preceding his death. There was the potential break in when his wife said Rey looked terrified, but that seems like a normal reaction to have when your security system goes off in the middle of the night.

That note found taped to the computer is creepy as hell though. Definitely sounds like schizophrenic ramblings from the excerpts they posted.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

ChadSexington posted:

I’m not a mental health professional, but can you have a schizophrenic/mental break that quickly without any kind of warning signs whatsoever? Seems like his wife and friends would have noticed something off about him, and they all seem to indicate in the interviews that he seemed completely normal in the days preceding his death. There was the potential break in when his wife said Rey looked terrified, but that seems like a normal reaction to have when your security system goes off in the middle of the night.

That note found taped to the computer is creepy as hell though. Definitely sounds like schizophrenic ramblings from the excerpts they posted.

They definitely threw the note in there towards the end and let the friends/family write it off as "oh, he wrote random things all the time!" Which, maybe? But if so, why didn't he just scribble it in a notebook instead of squirreling it away like that? Something definitely seemed off/purposely avoided there.

The only case I was familiar with was the French family--the Casefile podcast did an episode on it a while back. Also, skipped the UFO episode, in keeping with my OG UM tradition.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm not finished the second episode yet, but goddamn, this is some compelling stuff.

My favourite episodes were always the "unexplained" ones with ghosts. I don't believe in them anymore but when I did, they'd keep me up at night.

Also, that first episode really reminded me of the case of Philip Taylor Kramer.

Edit: gently caress, Rob totally had something to do with Patrice's murder.

In the event that he doesn't, he's still loving garbage for keeping her remains all to himself and not giving them to her son.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 2, 2020

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This was just a generic True Crime doc. At least Dateline has a host, even though it repeats stuff left and right. Episode one could've been half an hour with some other smaller mysteries thrown in.

That said, dude wrote that one of his favorite movies was The Game and then he jumped off a roof? And I think his note called those names "players" or something? Seems to me he had a break and thought The Game was real.

And it totally seemed like if you slid from the roof to that lower edge, you could easily jump to the hole.

:ms:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So can we talk about the original show too?

Also Watermelon Daiquiri, you forgot to mention that the original show also has a dedicated channel for it on Pluto TV

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, absolutely! and I didn't know that, thanks!

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I watched the first three episodes and will probably knock out the back half today/tomorrow. So far I’m really enjoying it - the mysteries they’re picking are genuinely interesting, but I’m kind of wondering why this counts as a “reboot” of Unsolved Mysteries. If you get rid of the title and the theme song, it’s really just another generic true crime series.

Also I’m really missing that creepy late 80s/early 90s dark synth music the original played during episodes. It still creeps me out when I watch some of the old episodes on PlutoTV.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ChadSexington posted:

I watched the first three episodes and will probably knock out the back half today/tomorrow. So far I’m really enjoying it - the mysteries they’re picking are genuinely interesting, but I’m kind of wondering why this counts as a “reboot” of Unsolved Mysteries. If you get rid of the title and the theme song, it’s really just another generic true crime series.

Also I’m really missing that creepy late 80s/early 90s dark synth music the original played during episodes. It still creeps me out when I watch some of the old episodes on PlutoTV.

Well, it IS the same theme song (in terms of the arrangement), just a different performance. I thought the new version was creepy.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Honestly I think they chose this style because Robert Stack was so iconic. There would inevitably be a comparison to him, and I think they wanted to avoid that. Now, was that the best move? Hard to say.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Re: the episode about the salon owner that disappeared

Hard to say for certain if the stepfather had anything to do with it but the guy was clearly some sort of psychopath/sociopath. Changing the locks and kicking the woman's teenage son out of the house literally the day after she goes missing? And his obsession with ownership of the ashes, which jives with what others were saying about his possessiveness in the marriage in general? I don't think the fact that the guy was able to get teary eyed when talking about the woman means anything, because I think when it comes down to it he was just upset that he doesn't get to continue to possess her. Which would've been his motive to kill her, if it's true she was considering filing for divorce.

The alibis he was able to come up with don't eliminate him and it's posited that she may have been held for a period of time before the body was dumped, considering she was found so close to where they'd been searching. So I think him being involved is more likely than a random encounter that turned into a robbery/murder.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Re: the episode about the salon owner that disappeared

Hard to say for certain if the stepfather had anything to do with it but the guy was clearly some sort of psychopath/sociopath. Changing the locks and kicking the woman's teenage son out of the house literally the day after she goes missing? And his obsession with ownership of the ashes, which jives with what others were saying about his possessiveness in the marriage in general? I don't think the fact that the guy was able to get teary eyed when talking about the woman means anything, because I think when it comes down to it he was just upset that he doesn't get to continue to possess her. Which would've been his motive to kill her, if it's true she was considering filing for divorce.

The alibis he was able to come up with don't eliminate him and it's posited that she may have been held for a period of time before the body was dumped, considering she was found so close to where they'd been searching. So I think him being involved is more likely than a random encounter that turned into a robbery/murder.

Also, this might be nothing, but it struck me as odd and disturbing how he was able to just throw out possibilities of what could've happened to her, like it was nothing. Like maybe he's able to suggest those things because he knows very well what ACTUALLY happened? I know that if my wife went missing, I wouldn't be almost casually going through a list of what might've happened. Maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Well... not to defend his actions-- he reminds me all too much of my mom's husband and it honestly freaks me out-- but i can empathize with going through scenarios in your head, especially if you have a criminology degree. I'm honestly ambivalent on his involvement, but he strikes me as a bitter broken lonely old man.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Well... not to defend his actions-- he reminds me all too much of my mom's husband and it honestly freaks me out-- but i can empathize with going through scenarios in your head, especially if you have a criminology degree. I'm honestly ambivalent on his involvement, but he strikes me as a bitter broken lonely old man.

Episode 2:
Yeah that dude was for sure a creep and weirdo, but I really wanted to hear his side of the story of why Pistol was such a piece of poo poo, because Pistol had a good reason to hate his step-dad, but maybe the step-dad had a good reason to hate Pistol too. He didn't seem great.

With what was given in the show, it just seemed like a random kidnapping, no weird clues like episode 1.

And again, this episode could've been 20 - 30 minutes at most, they really should've tried to cram more in. I know netflix was just trying to do a true crime thing and got the Unsolved name, but this would've been a great opportunity for them to dip their toes into doing something weekly and recurring versus planned and scheduled seasons.

And I miss the "Dum.. Dumm ba Teee..." bass/drums (I don't know music) of the theme song. But it's better than the later Stack episodes with the updated theme at least? Maybe?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugged me was how the family pushing the idea of his job being responsible had nothing behind it. Like of course the boss/friend isn't going to come on the show after years of hearing the family/investigators blame him with zero evidence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugged me was how the family pushing the idea of his job being responsible had nothing behind it. Like of course the boss/friend isn't going to come on the show after years of hearing the family/investigators blame him with zero evidence.

Well it wasn't just that, they also lawyered up immediately and refused to cooperate with police in the investigation, which seems like odd behavior if your employee really did just have a psychotic break that led to a tragic suicide..

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Currently watching the episode "13 Minutes"

Not sure what this is supposed to be. As a brit this just looks like generic boring talking head crime documentary #9999999999999999, where's all the aliens and the guy with the deep-rear end voice?

This guy Pistol & his dad are strange as hell, strannnnnge as hell.

As for the first ep with the roof guy, how is this an unsolved mystery? his injuries are so 100% inconsistent with "the fall" that the fact he was beaten up and left there by whatever stockbroker finance people he was in bed with ought to become self-evident.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This poo poo sucks. Thanks for nothing Netflix for yet another lovely documentary series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

doomisland posted:

This poo poo sucks. Thanks for nothing Netflix for yet another lovely documentary series.

So much this. This is the loving ur-example of slapping a brand name on an already-finished product in a cynical attempt to boost interest. And the episodes themselves aren't even that interesting! Each one could've been a tight half-hour if they weren't so tediously overproduced, ugh.

I've been watching classic reruns on Pluto and even with repetitious ads for lovely conservative TV and MTV reality shows, it still holds up. Stack was a drat boss.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
try tubi. All of the seasons are on there, you don't need to log in and theres only like one ad per episode.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Youtube has them all, and by an official Unsolved Mysteries channel, and not someone putting crappy versions up.

Unsolved Mysteries-Full Episodes is the channel, and it's put up there by FilmRise, so it is official. Watch it with adblock for no commercials at all.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Newsweek: An 'Unsolved Mysteries' Viewer May Have Found Big Clue in Rey Rivera Letter.
https://www.newsweek.com/unsolved-mysteries-rey-rivera-note-letter-clues-game-netflix-1515283

:hmmyes:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Newsweek: An 'Unsolved Mysteries' Viewer May Have Found Big Clue in Rey Rivera Letter.
https://www.newsweek.com/unsolved-mysteries-rey-rivera-note-letter-clues-game-netflix-1515283

:hmmyes:

That's an extremely obvious clue, but ok.

The one thing I can say in support of this 'reboot' is that due to name recognition, it definitely gets people watching and talking about it, which is the whole point of a show like this. If it was something like "Who did this crime?" I don't know if it'd get as much attention.

Well, now that I write that, I'd totally be interested in a show called "Who did this crime?".

Anyway, my point still stands; as different as it may be from the original, the name helps its cause.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not finished the second episode yet, but goddamn, this is some compelling stuff.

My favourite episodes were always the "unexplained" ones with ghosts. I don't believe in them anymore but when I did, they'd keep me up at night.

Also, that first episode really reminded me of the case of Philip Taylor Kramer.

Edit: gently caress, Rob totally had something to do with Patrice's murder.

In the event that he doesn't, he's still loving garbage for keeping her remains all to himself and not giving them to her son.

I loved the paranormal segments! I seem to recall a really cool one about the missing Avenger planes and the Bermuda Triangle.

The UFO episode was pretty good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I loved the paranormal segments! I seem to recall a really cool one about the missing Avenger planes and the Bermuda Triangle.

The UFO episode was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqTmX36d34s

This show scared me way more than UM did, until I realized that humans are far worse than some weird sound or gust of wind mistaken for a ghost.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Love that this is back on the air, I used to watch it as a kid and had the "very sure feeling" a criminal was going to stab me in the back through the couch despite it being up against a wall.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I still think about the queen mary episode where they had wet footprints appear around the pool. Also, i didn't know you were still around beet

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I don't remember too much of the original series but most of the cases seemed pretty tame? Like they could've been on any other crime show on Tru TV or something. Was expecting more. I'd rather see a reboot of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hmmxkrazee posted:

I don't remember too much of the original series but most of the cases seemed pretty tame? Like they could've been on any other crime show on Tru TV or something. Was expecting more. I'd rather see a reboot of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

The original series really did focus mostly on murders and disappearances. Each episode would usually have one little story about something paranormal but that's about it. Then they'd also do like two-part feature episodes about famous serial killers like Son of Sam and Zodiac.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Don't forget lost loves which is both 'hey help me find my sibling or parent that i had to leave at a young age' and 'help me find this one person who i have an outsized remembrance of'

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I read somewhere that Robert Stack hated the paranormal poo poo.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
The absolute worst ones are the religious ones; it's usually just 20-30 minutes of talking heads with some Bible belt hick or Catholic grandma talking about how "an angel really wanted me to know heaven is 4 real". At least the paranormal ones have hilarious UFO reenactments and civil war ghosts and stuff

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I still remember the segment about those czech kids or whatever who bilk people by saying they saw the virgin mary.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Not having a narrator was a bad choice, IMO. I know that's not in style these days and would've definitely invited comparisons to Stack, but when I watch something called Unsolved Mysteries I have certain expectations. I also didn't care for how they chose to tell the story in that first episode, it's drawn out to fill an hour when it could've been done in 30 minutes or less.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqTmX36d34s

This show scared me way more than UM did, until I realized that humans are far worse than some weird sound or gust of wind mistaken for a ghost.

Wow, I completely had forgotten about Sightings! Maybe this will be the nudge I need to get around to finishing X-Files.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Actually poo poo all they need to do is feed all of stack's narration into a deep fake network, hire a body double, and bobs your uncle!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Wow, I completely had forgotten about Sightings! Maybe this will be the nudge I need to get around to finishing X-Files.

I used to believe in ghosts. Whole-heartedly, full-bore, I was IN to that stuff. Sightings and the paranormal episodes of UM, along with all of these other knockoffs and even the movie-of-the-week Poltergeist ripoffs, I'd just eat them up. I loved being freaked out, and I still have a huge amount of nostalgia for that era of tv, in that genre.

So, around that time, I'm watching Sightings. I saw this one clip involving EVP where a woman was asking a ghost something. The ghost would reply with how he was in the war. That voice, those words just instantly chilled my blood and I don't think I slept one bit that night (I was around 13, and Sightings was on on the weekend, so it led to a very tired Saturday or Sunday). Soon after, I kind of dropped off from watching all of this stuff, until recently, when it all kind of came flooding back to me. I was watching various clips from the show, desperately trying to hear that voice again, because it had been, for lack of a better term, haunting my mind for 20+ years. Real or fake, I didn't care because I needed to hear it. Anyone who's participated in those "Help me find an old book/song/show/movie" threads knows exactly how I felt.

And this weekend, I found it! And when I heard it again, my stomach turned and I was almost sick. Not because it's scary, it's actually fairly tame... But it's because it HAD terrified me over two decades ago, and holy poo poo, I was finally hearing it again.

So, if anyone's interested, here you go, approx 20 minutes in ("I was seeing the war", which I actually hear as "I was in the war", with a bit of an accent):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWVITSsWyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Christ the last episode is so depressing and calling it a mystery is generous. Did they end up finding the well on the old property?