Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Now that I've gotten my RSU cliff I don't have anything I'm looking forward to and its really bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
my one grandpa was a little too young for ww2 and spent the tail end of the war as a lifeguard in the navy. he joined the Air Force after and spent 20 years flying cargo all over the world as an enlisted flight engineer, including air dropping an entire library in Alaska and fly weapons in and bodies out in the early part of what became the Vietnam war.

His best story was the time he spent attached to the squadron that flew executive transports out of Andrews. He never flew on Air Force One, but everything short of that.

So he’s flying one day, and it’s Curtis LeMay, now grandfather has his private pilot license; and for longer trips he’d jump in the pilots seat to give one of the pilots a break. General LeMay decides to pay a visit to the flight crew in flight while my grandfather was sitting in one of the pilots chairs, or at least in a position that an officer would normally be in. I might be miss remembering but something about a jacket saved him from LeMay noticing while he said hi, which was a big deal because he is someone who would of probably ended everyone’s present careers? I might be really butchering the story, all I really remember is something about the jacket saving him from LeMay screwing with him.

my other grandfather also served in the Air Force as an enlisted dude, and somehow was attached to an Aussie helo group in Vietnam that marked targets for bombing runs with phosphorus grenades out of old Mash style helicopters. He somehow got a bronze star along the way.

his only other anecdotes were that Maine and Thule Greenland were the coldest shitholes on earth and that he hated both of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m 99% sure you can pull service records quite easily

old ones can be hard to get; there was a big warehouse fire in 1973 that destroyed about 3/4 of all the records from before WWI to the 60s for the army and air force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center_fire

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Midjack posted:

old ones can be hard to get; there was a big warehouse fire in 1973 that destroyed about 3/4 of all the records from before WWI to the 60s for the army and air force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center_fire

welp that sucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

The FCC basement flooded in the late 90s and destroyed every paper copy of every radio license they had on file. My original ham license literally does not exist anywhere. They just took it on faith when I checked the box saying that I had passed the 5 words per minute Morse Code test in '93 when I went to upgrade my license in 2006.

(I really did)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The FCC basement flooded in the late 90s and destroyed every paper copy of every radio license they had on file. My original ham license literally does not exist anywhere. They just took it on faith when I checked the box saying that I had passed the 5 words per minute Morse Code test in '93 when I went to upgrade my license in 2006.

(I really did)

My dad was extra but kept his old six character callsign for cred in a post-code world.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha. i heard they were dropping the code requirement and i rocketed to the next testing session like four days before the cutoff date, just to say that i got my extra back when there was a Morse requirement. huge dick move.

(i still have my original long callsign too. it's awful and i love it lol)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

haha. i heard they were dropping the code requirement and i rocketed to the next testing session like four days before the cutoff date, just to say that i got my extra back when there was a Morse requirement. huge dick move.

(i still have my original long callsign too. it's awful and i love it lol)
what makes a good callsign jonny. honestly interested over here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because morse code is a 'varicode' (more common symbols are shorter), there can be vast differences in how long and complex the morse version of your callsign is.

https://fistsna.org/callweight.php

my call sign is 80 weight which is pretty close to the theoretical maximum for a 6 character call

the shortest and fastest callsign possible in the united states would be either AE5E (.- . ..... .) or AE9E (.- . ----. .)

(5 is ..... , 9 is ----. , but a common shorthand for 9 is N, -. , so if you're using the shorthand for 9 it beats 5)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i got to operate the WWV special event station i shouted their special temporary call a thousand times and i will never again sign up for something where i have to yell WHISKEY WHISKEY ZERO WHISKEY WHISKEY VICTOR for two hours

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine is 74 weight, apparently

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

because morse code is a 'varicode' (more common symbols are shorter), there can be vast differences in how long and complex the morse version of your callsign is.

my call sign is 80 weight which is pretty close to the theoretical maximum for a 6 character call

the shortest and fastest callsign possible in the united states would be either AE5E (.- . ..... .) or AE9E (.- . ----. .)

(5 is ..... , 9 is ----. , but a common shorthand for 9 is N, -. , so if you're using the shorthand for 9 it beats 5)

ARSE

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FECK

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

when i got to operate the WWV special event station i shouted their special temporary call a thousand times and i will never again sign up for something where i have to yell WHISKEY WHISKEY ZERO WHISKEY WHISKEY VICTOR for two hours

i wonder this too about the all-letter aircraft callsigns in other parts of the world

american tail numbers are usually fairly easy to pronounce as they can only have two letters in them out of five digits, and they have to be at the end. e.g. N219YP (initial N doesn't count and is ignored in radio calls as every civil airplane starts with N). many airplanes have only numbers, like N42069. it's also common to shorten to the last three once you're in contact with ATC, so you're just "zero six niner" or "niner yankee papa."

but in other countries, no, they use five letters for every registration, no numbers, the first one being a country code. canadian registrations are all things like C-UPEE and C-BASS, in england it's G-AYYY, germany D-ICKS, etc and it would be super annoying having to call that poo poo out.

like imagine having to end every transmission with "foxtrot foxtrot foxtrot november foxtrot" in a french accent. drat

e: oh and once i was flying around and I heard this guy on the radio, s'cool

(N1 through N99 are reserved for the FAA planes that go around testing navigation beacons and stuff)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 1, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

this was the genesis of a rush album iirc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

jonny you are too kind. i don’t understand most of this just now because i’m lit af but i thank you for it and i have bookmarked the site for viewing in the coming days

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

canadian registrations are all things like C-UPEE and C-BASS,
one is based on canadian public unions (solidarity 4ever) and the other just kind of rules in an extremely normcore way

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
morse code sucks because it's not a prefix code, so if i give you -..-.-.---.---....-. you have no idea what that means. you need the spaces to know where letters begin and end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actually I don't think that either of those canadian registrations are real unfortunately. there are only like 40,000 airplanes registered in canada so a lot of the really good ones aren't taken yet.

this one is real though

DELETE CASCADE posted:

morse code sucks because it's not a prefix code, so if i give you -..-.-.---.---....-. you have no idea what that means. you need the spaces to know where letters begin and end

actual transmitted morse code has a blank interval of 3 units (or one dash, where one dot is one unit) between letters and 7 units between words. the issue you have found is only a problem when you transcribe it without indicating these special intervals.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wasn't morse code mostly retired a few years ago?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

actually I don't think that either of those canadian registrations are real unfortunately. there are only like 40,000 airplanes registered in canada so a lot of the really good ones aren't taken yet.
:hmmyes: this creates the c-bass initiative

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

this one is real though

actual transmitted morse code has a blank interval of 3 units (or one dash, where one dot is one unit) between letters and 7 units between words. the issue you have found is only a problem when you transcribe it without indicating these special intervals.

drat that is a nice looking plane

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Broken Machine posted:

yeah now it’s lewis code

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

As I learned from a jonny stream, there's still geezers beep booping away out there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of my favorite arguments to get into is if Morse Code is a digital mode or not.

It is, it's a self clocking mode.

base timing is the 'dit'
a 'dah' is 3 dits
spacing between dits or dahs inside a letter is 1 dit
spacing between letters is 3 dits
and spacing between words is 7 dits

the 3:1 dah-dit ratio is the 'weight' and sometimes it varies widely. Semiautomatic keys, or 'bugs' were developed to alleviate RSI for professional code senders.

push the paddle one way and a spring steel, pendulum weighted arm knocks against an electrical contact closure to make dits. push it the other way and you make the dahs manually. This usually results in a weight of around 5:1 and means that anybody using a bug is instantly recognizable on the air.

Morse is no longer an essential part of radio as we have computers that can send and receive data in way shittier situations than code can get through. However it's still an enjoyable mode and there are tons of "CW" operators on the air. i've been known to slap some paddles myself from time to time.

* CW: "continuous wave" - a throwback from like 1913 or whatever when we moved to a continuous oscillator that was turned on and off with the key. Previously it was 'damped wave' aka a god drat spark gap.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

President Beep posted:

yeah now it’s lewis code

BEEP!!!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's a neat semiautomatic bug that a small manufacturer makes. Because the position of the weight on the pendulum arm determines the period of the pendulum and thus how fast your dits go, this dude realized that if you just made a 90 degree linkage and built the key sideways that you could have a REALLY long arm, and thus slow it down. The classic vibroplex like i posted in that gif doesn't go much below 23, 25 words a minute, but these wacky ones can get down to like 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WV6FG2yWww

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don’t get it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat that is a nice looking plane

flying boats are really pretty

at least most of the time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Looking for good mid-range blades for my merkur razors.

same. i have a huge pack of feather platinum blades but for some reason theyre real spotty

i keep suspecting a few packs are knockoffs since ive not known them to have such varying quality. it might be my handle is wearing out or thats my excuse for a better handle with some adjustability

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

at least most of the time

that thing rules though

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
was indiana jones's pilot named "jacques" or "jock"?

he had a cool plane

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I don’t get it

inspector morse was a British detective show. it went off the air and his partner, lewis, got a show. then that went off the air and now they're doing morse again but as a prequel thing so it's morse as a young man instead of a cranky 50 year old

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

this is the poo poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

inspector morse was a British detective show. it went off the air and his partner, lewis, got a show. then that went off the air and now they're doing morse again but as a prequel thing so it's morse as a young man instead of a cranky 50 year old
I guess endeavor is okay but it makes no sense that it's supposed to be Morse. Like why? Who asked for that?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my friend just had their lease terminated because the landlord wants to renovate their house so he can rent it to professors at the local universities

hes in for some bad news soon

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/RyanDeto/status/1278487680054169602

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that woman has a baby with her.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheBigChicken7/status/1278492364089315328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not even a week later

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/06/ohio-health-officials-trace-coronavirus-outbreak-to-put-in-bay.html