Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

european badger: "gently caress off"

american badger: "I TRAGEDY YOU'ARE MOTHER'S ASSWHOLE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

But how is comrade supposed to not walk on the fish, it's all over the place and he has his hands full/attention occupied.

That big red hand is a dick.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Jesus here in the us we had so many over the air channels we had two dials

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HPanda posted:

The rights to Five Nights at Freddy's could not have possibly been all that expensive.

I'm pretty sure someone's already bought the movie rights and is possibly doing nothing with them but doesn't want anyone else to either.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Since 2015. Looks like Blumhouse is now involved? And it might actually get made someday?

(Narrator: “It won’t”)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

HE XOAH

no PbIbE

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

I love that scene because it's clear that Brian Jacques just wants to show off how much he loves food. There's no point to it, and it happens so early that it doesn't interrupt anything. It's just, "Hey gang. You know what's fuckin' great? Baked goods."

I recently reread Redwall for my daughter so it's fresh in my mind.

iirc, he wrote it at least partly for blind kids, so he included a lot of non-visual descriptors that they could still imagine

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

I love that scene because it's clear that Brian Jacques just wants to show off how much he loves food. There's no point to it, and it happens so early that it doesn't interrupt anything. It's just, "Hey gang. You know what's fuckin' great? Baked goods."

I recently reread Redwall for my daughter so it's fresh in my mind.
I got really annoyed with that scene as a kid. "So you're heavily taxing all these peasants of their subsistence food and enjoying lavish parties of luxury food... but you have no significant trade routes! Where is the luxury food coming from? You can't just transmute large quantities of coarse food into small quantities of luxury food!

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Jul 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I got really annoyed with that scene as a kid. "So you're heavily taxing all these peasants of their subsistence food and enjoying lavish parties of luxury food... but you have no significant trade routes! Where is the luxury food coming from? You can't just transmute large quantities of coarse food into small quantities of luxury food.

Redwall is def one of those series that does not hold up on thought for a number of reasons

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Any don't even get me started on the military tactics! Those formations should...
(13-year-old me continues ranting, unaware that everyone else has tiptoed away)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Justified. gently caress ukuleles.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

HE XOAH

no PbIbE

Yes, foreign languages are very funny, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Redwall is def one of those series that does not hold up on thought for a number of reasons

I'm totally hooked on the 'Shrieking Shack' podcast at the moment where 2 'lapsed Harry Potter fans' are re-reading the books chapter by chapter and realising that a lot of that book series is bad, has dated badly. It's a fun background listening podcast.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rondette posted:

I'm totally hooked on the 'Shrieking Shack' podcast at the moment where 2 'lapsed Harry Potter fans' are re-reading the books chapter by chapter and realising that a lot of that book series is bad, has dated badly. It's a fun background listening podcast.

Wait what? What's going on in Harry Potter world now that's causing fan relapse?

Been living under a rock over the past month due to COVID family woes, haven't kept up with anything pop culture related for a few months.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hopefully they realized it too was bad so we stop hearing about the sorting hat or whatever bullshit. Getting real embarrassed for mid 30s mother fuckers talking about what it means to be a hufflepuff with tears in their eyes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Wait what? What's going on in Harry Potter world now that's causing fan relapse?

Been living under a rock over the past month due to COVID family woes, haven't kept up with anything pop culture related for a few months.

Author has quadrupled-down on the TERF train.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Author has quadrupled-down on the TERF train.

She's pretty much just a transphobe, not even a TERF. TERD? Trans Exclusionary Reactionary Dipshit?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rondette posted:

I mean, good? Putting aside the TERF poo poo, adults worshiping a book series written for and at a level for ten year olds is weird as hell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

She's pretty much just a transphobe, not even a TERF. TERD? Trans Exclusionary Reactionary Dipshit?

I favour FART - Feminism-Appropriating Radical Transphobe.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Harry Potter was never actually good.

I never got why it exploded. I was the right age for it, at the time, but I was like "this is no different to Enid Blyton or Emily Rodda or David & Leigh Eddings or Dragonlance".

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Mokotow posted:

I guess it’s not surprising it says “don’t walk on the fish”.

The Gadsden Flag America deserves.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

I mean, good? Putting aside the TERF poo poo, adults worshiping a book series written for and at a level for ten year olds is weird as hell.

Oh absolutely. I find that embarrassing too, it's funny to hear it having the piss royally ripped out of it.

ETA-- imagine rifftrax for books.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grendels Dad posted:

But how is comrade supposed to not walk on the fish, it's all over the place and he has his hands full/attention occupied.

That big red hand is a dick.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

WITCHCRAFT posted:

HE XOAH

no PbIbE

NE HODI
po Ryibe

Learn to read (Cyrillic in this case)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Lone Badger posted:

I got really annoyed with that scene as a kid. "So you're heavily taxing all these peasants of their subsistence food and enjoying lavish parties of luxury food... but you have no significant trade routes! Where is the luxury food coming from? You can't just transmute large quantities of coarse food into small quantities of luxury food!

Great post/name combo. I imagine a surly, goony badger on the edge of the road outside Redwall Abbey, arms crossed and sullen at having missed out on all the tasty baked goods.

Rondette posted:

:allears:

Definitely checking this out today.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hyperlynx posted:

TERD Trans Exclusionary Reactionary Dipshit

The perfect answer was practically staring us in the face and we only realized it until now.

:perfect:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

Oh absolutely. I find that embarrassing too, it's funny to hear it having the piss royally ripped out of it.

Isnt that 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back?

I'll definitely check it out. I love bad book podcasts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Where in Russia do you expect to find a no smoking sign?

Right above the ashtray.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

I never got why it exploded. I was the right age for it, at the time, but I was like "this is no different to Enid Blyton or Emily Rodda or David & Leigh Eddings or Dragonlance".

I mean it was good enough get Universal to create a highly popular theme park so somebody's buying what those books are selling.

This is a lot of info to take in. Don't really have a dog in this fight but can you really cancel an entire multi-media franchise with an edict? Maybe she'll come around in a few months and make an apology to quell the masses so she can keep the greenback royalty train pulling in the station, seems like too big a franchise to get cancelled so quicky.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well she's sure gonna try apparently

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You may be surprised. Ask kids today (18 and under) if they read Harry Potter and you will get maybe one or two out of ten.

It doesn’t have as much longevity as you would think.

In fact, ask kids about Star Wars and they say the same thing. Yes, I know the sequel trilogy were financially successful but you may be surprised to find that most moviegoers are adults, not youth.

And then you might say ‘but the toys section in the store suggests otherwise’ and when you realize that playing/buying the toys are independent from fandom and watching the films (or reading books), take also into consideration the size of the isle that also has WWE action figures or Barbie.

The fact that there is a theme park attraction doesn’t mean it is widespread knowledge or people who go are all fans. poo poo, Disney and Universal are filled with movie reference rides—are you saying that dining at the Magic Kingdom Cinderella Castle means you have watched Cinderella 20 times and know all about the story? Or the King Kong ride at Universal? Or the ET ride?

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Jul 2, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

You may be surprised. Ask kids today (18 and under) if they read Harry Potter and you will get maybe one or two out of ten.

It doesn’t have as much longevity as you would think.

In fact, ask kids about Star Wars and they say the same thing. Yes, I know the sequel trilogy were financially successful but you may be surprised to find that most moviegoers are adults, not youth.

And then you might say ‘but the toys section in the store suggests otherwise’ and when you realize that playing/buying the toys are independent from fandom and watching the films (or reading books), take also into consideration the size of the isle that also has WWE action figures or Barbie.

The fact that there is a theme park attraction doesn’t mean it is widespread knowledge or people who go are all fans. poo poo, Disney and Universal are filled with movie reference rides—are you saying that dining at the Magic Kingdom Cinderella Castle means you have watched Cinderella 20 times and know all about the story? Or the King Kong ride at Universal? Or the ET ride?

Are Disney comic books even published in the USA anymore? I mean sure the old cartoons are probably re-run on some paid channel constantly (or not, I wouldn't know) but seems to me like Mickey Mouse for the average American kid is more known from just being Mickey Mouse than any actual content.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Quite a lot of Harry Potter fans are upset with her and don’t like her anymore, but I don’t think many of them are changing their opinions of the series as a whole because of this. Someone compared Rowling to Morrissey. There are plenty of Smiths fans who wish that guy would shut his mouth forever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are Disney comic books even published in the USA anymore? I mean sure the old cartoons are probably re-run on some paid channel constantly (or not, I wouldn't know) but seems to me like Mickey Mouse for the average American kid is more known from just being Mickey Mouse than any actual content.

There have been new Mickey cartoons recently and Disney even built a whole ride based on those new shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18nAXue7hM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mG7tiv_Dto

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember an animated MAD TV thing where Mickey Mouse was talking petulantly to some kids and talking about how he's one of the most well known and beloved comedy characters in history, and the kids were like "Wait — you were supposed to be funny??"

e: ^^ those things are fuckin legit though

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 2, 2020

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Enid Blyton and David Eddings are exactly nothing alike :psyduck:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Fun Fact: Donald Duck is much, much more popular in European countries than Mickey Mouse is. Don Rosa has most of his fanbase in Europe as well.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Zero One posted:

There have been new Mickey cartoons recently and Disney even built a whole ride based on those new shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18nAXue7hM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mG7tiv_Dto

The Paul Rudish shorts are fantastic and changed my opinion of Mickey Mouse.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Antigravitas posted:

Fun Fact: Donald Duck is much, much more popular in European countries than Mickey Mouse is. Don Rosa has most of his fanbase in Europe as well.

Who the gently caress likes mickey mouse outside of kingdom hearts?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another fun fact: classic Warner Bros. cartoons are much, much better than classic Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bismuth posted:

Who the gently caress likes mickey mouse outside of kingdom hearts?

Disney treating Mickey Mouse like the fine china they never use unless the Pope comes to visit has backfired pretty badly; everything he's in is either an obscure one-off or focus-grouped mediocrity so he's just a nothing character now. They won't even let him appear in new DuckTales. (which is rad btw)

I'd say Mario has well replaced him in pop culture prominence.