Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Part of the appeal of Rome is to see this completely alien society filled with completely human characters. The nausea means it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean the show isn't shy about the way slaves are treated. One of the very first scenes, young Octavian slaps the living poo poo out of a grown woman slave because she lightly bumps into him. It's so casual you might even not notice it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

Eurovision Song Contest is about as by the numbers as you can get, but I thought it was a nice feel good distraction with a unique backdrop for a comedy. I was expecting something more absurd but it was still a lot of fun.

Yeah I liked it too, and even my girlfriend enjoyed it and she usually can't stand Will Ferrell. Dan Stevens is especially great in it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Aphex- posted:

Yeah I liked it too, and even my girlfriend enjoyed it and she usually can't stand Will Ferrell. Dan Stevens is especially great in it.

:sever:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I totally understand why someone wouldn't like Ferrell. He's made like 5 great things and a bunch of obnoxious trash.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Will Ferrell is very prolific, they can’t all be great. In a lot of his mediocre movies there’s usually at least a few killer scenes or concepts. I remember my friends and I losing it at the card playing scene in Semi-Pro.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Has anyone seen Stay Hungry (1976)? I thought I knew all Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, but apparently I didn't! I'm assuming he has a minor role?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

feedmyleg posted:

I totally understand why someone wouldn't like Ferrell. He's made like 5 great things and a bunch of obnoxious trash.

He just looks like he's trying to sooooooo friggin hard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Great just got renewed for a second season.

I loved it but I don't think that's necessary.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Terminal" is awful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Will Ferrel has always been a weird one for me, because I really enjoy him/think he is funny as a person and when he's in a cameo or sketch he's usually the funniest thing about it. He's also backed some great comedians. But I like very few of his movies tbh.

I kind of feel the same way about Andy Samberg.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to watching Ali today. I've seen most of Mann's other notable stuff. Ali was, well, incredible. The way the film depicts the story as a front in the Civil Rights Movement of the late 60s was really poignant.

I don't care for will Smith but he gave a stellar performance, as did Jon voight and several other supporting cast. Jamie Foxx and Mario van peebles...I'm still on a bit of a high from watching it (on Prime).

If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it enough.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Does Legions stay consistently good? I remember the first season was pretty good, but if it's like, not as good or not much better I can't say I'll be too thrilled. Great pilot and some good first season episodes, I'm rewatching the first season and just puuuushing myself through the ehh parts because I remember really liking it the first time around. Got as far as the first season back when it was on TV.

Also just been figuring out what else to watch in terms of FX stuff...What's good? Seems like people didn't really like Devs. Mrs. America? Fosse Verdon?
Already seen (enough of) AHS/It's Always Sunny. I watched Season 1 and Season 2 of Fargo, liked them fine (even though I really didn't like Billy Bob in Season 1, I know I know people just loooove him in that but his whole role is whatever to me).

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does Legions stay consistently good? I remember the first season was pretty good, but if it's like, not as good or not much better I can't say I'll be too thrilled. Great pilot and some good first season episodes, I'm rewatching the first season and just puuuushing myself through the ehh parts because I remember really liking it the first time around. Got as far as the first season back when it was on TV.

Also just been figuring out what else to watch in terms of FX stuff...What's good? Seems like people didn't really like Devs. Mrs. America? Fosse Verdon?
Already seen (enough of) AHS/It's Always Sunny. I watched Season 1 and Season 2 of Fargo, liked them fine (even though I really didn't like Billy Bob in Season 1, I know I know people just loooove him in that but his whole role is whatever to me).

Wilfred is great if you haven't seen that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

Wilfred is great if you haven't seen that

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
Terriers is a classic, big recommend.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Shield is pretty bonkers. It definitely doesn't paint law enforcement in any sort of favorable light. IIRC, that was also FX first 'prestige drama.'

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Shield is pretty bonkers. It definitely doesn't paint law enforcement in any sort of favorable light. IIRC, that was also FX first 'prestige drama.'

It had to be that or Rescue Me

e which goes on forever aimlessly until cancellation so I can't really recommend it even though the first couple seasons range from fine to great

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I just watched the first episode of Doom Patrol and enjoyed it. Does it stay good?

Relevant? I gave up on the CW DC shows after 2 seasons and have absolutely no desire to watch any of those.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Asnorban posted:

I just watched the first episode of Doom Patrol and enjoyed it. Does it stay good?

Relevant? I gave up on the CW DC shows after 2 seasons and have absolutely no desire to watch any of those.

Doom Patrol is nothing at all like the CW shows. It's really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why in the name of gently caress is rewinding and fast forwarding so slow on HBO max? It's almost literally useless because it only goes at like 2x speed :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That said, I found Ford v Ferrari a whole lot better than I expected, but maybe that's because my expectations were supremely low

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

That said, I found Ford v Ferrari a whole lot better than I expected, but maybe that's because my expectations were supremely low

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a total dad movie, but I actually kind of enjoyed it. Should it have won Best Picture at the Oscars? No. But it exceeded expectations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Everyone made fun of people that liked it so much I didn't dare watch it

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah Ford Vs Ferrari was supremely adequate

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

It's aggressively okay

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's one of those movies where if you need to make two and a half hours pass and don't really have anything to do, it'll get the job done and not bother you at all.

Not sure why that was oscar level, but hey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's one of those movies where if you need to make two and a half hours pass and don't really have anything to do, it'll get the job done and not bother you at all.

Not sure why that was oscar level, but hey.

See also: Dallas Buyers Club

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay so The Firm, The Devil's Advocate, then what? Which movie would be the third in this set?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fallen

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm kinda glad I didn't pay 600 bucks a ticket to see Hamilton now. It was just fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay so The Firm, The Devil's Advocate, then what? Which movie would be the third in this set?

Going to go for the weird option here and say Catch Me If You Can.

e: wait, no, better yet: Liar Liar

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A Time to Kill

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Going to go for the weird option here and say Catch Me If You Can.

e: wait, no, better yet: Liar Liar

I like Liar, Liar. Follows the pattern of a young promising legal protagonist who gets ensnared in something beyond them in a movie from the 90's.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Gonna go with the outside choice and say Defending Your Life

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Double Jeopardy maybe?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mcmagic posted:

I'm kinda glad I didn't pay 600 bucks a ticket to see Hamilton now. It was just fine.

While I agree, there is a big difference between seeing a musical live vs a recorded version. Time seems to move faster watching something live, and the way you take everything in is completely different. I base this on other musicals (I didn’t see Hamilton live) and Hamilton is a little longer than anything I have seen before.

My advice to anyone watching Hamilton is to watch it in 2 sittings (intermission is the perfect stopping point).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Why the heck is Harley Quinn this good?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Junkie Disease posted:

Why the heck is Harley Quinn this good?

The people making it are loving genius. Everyone from the show runners on down to the South Korean wage slaves making $.30 per frame of animation is a once in a generation comedic talent. And they know when to stop being funny so the drama actually lands, unlike every other funny show in the last decade. I actually recently learned there’s even a term for “dramatic scene ruined by a lame joke” but I forget what it is now.

Note: I have no idea if this is traditional animation and I have no idea how much the animators were making. I hope I’m exaggerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

nate fisher posted:

While I agree, there is a big difference between seeing a musical live vs a recorded version. Time seems to move faster watching something live, and the way you take everything in is completely different. I base this on other musicals (I didn’t see Hamilton live) and Hamilton is a little longer than anything I have seen before.

My advice to anyone watching Hamilton is to watch it in 2 sittings (intermission is the perfect stopping point).

Is there a theater thread on this forum somewhere?

I have seen a few shows on Broadway, and The Wedding Singer was unironically the best. Hairspray pretty much sucked.

I just finished Hamilton, and the wife was the best actor/singer imho.