Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
comparing american presidents is for babies, they're all terrible.

expand your horizon and try to decide which canadian prime minister is worse.

The Rt. Hon. Stephen J Harper

- extremely pro-israel
- Said in the above image "Something you might not know about me is that I love movies and TV shows"
- his final campaign one of his ministers announced a "barbaric cultural practices tip line"
- set up an arms trade deal with saudi arabia
- prorogued parliament as a scandal broke about afghan detainee treatment, trailblazing a path that would be used much later by the UK
- muzzled government scientists
- gutted the census in order to hamstring governance
- tried to cover up senator expenses by cutting them a cheque
- government was found in contempt of parliament; won a majority government anyway
- christ there's so much bullshit i completely forgot

The Rt. Hon. Justin "PJ" Trudeau

- failson
- has done blackface more times than he can remember in the 21st century
- the above picture was part of his trip to india
- former drama teacher
- tried to strong arm his (first nation) attorney general into not prosecuting a friendly corporation
- he is listening and ready to reconciliation with first nations so long as you don't sue the canadian government over your treatment as a child
- insisted on buying a pipeline that alberta wants; everyone in alberta hates him anyway
- Sunny Ways
- insisted the government must stick to its trade deal, thereby providing material support for Saudi Arabia's brutal war in Yemen
- some other dumb poo poo like shoving a female MP during parliament to get them to vote faster

feel free to add stuff ive definitely forgotten, there's so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

who

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'd like to give them both a shawinigan handshake

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
lol canada

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

the darjeeling limited wasn't wes anderson's best work, but the part where they find their mom after traveling the whole of india and she fakes happy to see them and splits again is hilarious

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
harper's active destruction of scientific records and statistical data alone puts him in a different league than that other guy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the best pm of my lifetime was probably kim campbell because i cant remember anything about her

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Protester posted:

the best pm of my lifetime was probably kim campbell because i cant remember anything about her

she was poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I would not give her the shawinigan handshake

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Harper was worse but I will never forget Trudeau promising to do voter reform and then giving up after a single internet survey because it would be too hard.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blisster posted:

Harper was worse but I will never forget Trudeau promising to do voter reform and then giving up after a single internet survey because it would be too hard.

ah yes, who can forget the Formula

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh yeah. now i remember that the election before the last one was going to be "the last one with fptp". but it just doesn't have the same bite as actively destroying scientific data

not getting rid of fptp is probably going to have worse repercussions in the end, but it's just so much harder to hate

look what i'm saying is take a flamethrower to both and anyone in the surroundings

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Can you give us whichever one loses to be president

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

afaik Harper, Trudeau's just the Obama

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
i think trudeau is a better-written character. That he can't seem to stop dressing up in racism is thematically-apt for his superficial progressivism.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am noticing for the first time that Harper looks constantly like he has partial brain death

something in the facial expression, it isn't a sociopathic tense smile like conservatives are used to, nor is the full lizard demon thing from tories and some republicans have

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

Harper nowadays can be found wandering PragerU

https://www.prageru.com/presenter/stephen-harper/

lmao

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Imho this should be the canonical Harper image.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

harper's active destruction of scientific records and statistical data alone puts him in a different league than that other guy

if Harper had been born in the US we'd already be living in the fallout wasteland, he is a deeply evil loving psychopath and among the worst world leaders of his era, that he isn't remembered as such is more a testament to how apathetic and blase Canada is than any endorsement of him as a leader or human being

also:

Hand Knit posted:

i think trudeau is a better-written character. That he can't seem to stop dressing up in racism is thematically-apt for his superficial progressivism.

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Jul 2, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wheeee posted:

if Harper had been born in the US we'd already be living in the fallout wasteland, he is a deeply evil loving sociopath and among the worst world leaders of his era, that he isn't remembered as such is more a testament to how apathetic and blase Canada is than any endorsement of him as a leader or human being

he was extremely successful at maintaining strict party discipline so none of the social conservative backbenchers ever dared speak out about their weird hosed up views which really amplified people's views of harper as extremely banal, even as the guy was coming up with creative ways to enact those views through defunding programs and breaking the civil service's ability to function

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dreylad posted:

he was extremely successful at maintaining strict party discipline so none of the social conservative backbenchers ever dared speak out about their weird hosed up views which really amplified people's views of harper as extremely banal, even as the guy was coming up with creative ways to enact those views through defunding programs and breaking the civil service's ability to function

Harper literally is the relatively intelligent purestrain psychopath fascist President that Americans are afraid of coming in the wake of Trump, and he did it with typical Canadian flair in ugly suits and bland faux-professional speech

Trudeau is just a dumbass rich kid shitlib

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Dreylad posted:

I was never a fan of science-denier Stephen Harper. I reviled him in the late stages of his last term when he became desperate and started trotting out "old-stock Canadians" and a "barbaric cultural practices hotline."

Trudeau, I voted for him in 2015. As mentioned above, he punted the election reforms plank of his platform. That burned, but I moved on. Then along came the SNC Lavalin affair. Justin was clearly interfering in a judicial matter and contorted himself to avoid telling the truth. He didn't get my vote in the last election and he won't ever again.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

- tried to strong arm his (first nation) attorney general into not prosecuting a friendly corporation

Between the two of them this is the most seriously troubling one. Especially given the fact that at the same time the government was trying to stress to the Chinese government that they could absolutely not intervene in the justice system to release Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou from extradition proceedings.

People hated Harper at the time, with people putting "Harper" stickers under stop signs and such, but seeing all those things in a list it's really quaint minor stuff. Even the 'scandals' were arms length things involving dumb Senators. The most significant thing was the census, but that thankfully didn't happen since the Conservatives lost.

Of course if you ever tried to argue with a typical millennial Canadian that Trudeau is worse they'd laugh in your face. Trudeau at least has things in the 'good' column (legal weed!) while Harper has little to nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wheeee posted:

Harper literally is the relatively intelligent purestrain psychopath fascist President that Americans are afraid of coming in the wake of Trump, and he did it with typical Canadian flair in ugly suits and bland faux-professional speech

Trudeau is just a dumbass rich kid shitlib

true, but then again trudeau's done basically nothing to fix any of the damage harper has caused and instead taken advantage of it wherever possible