Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I'd say the most easily missable stuff if it's outside your personal experience is about the inner workings of narcissists and narcissistic parental abuse, which shapes a significant part of the show.

Yeah. One of the reasons I was rooting so hard for Catra was identifying with her lovely parental upbringing as the disappointment and wanting her to overcome that to be a better person. She had to spiral down and hit absolute bottom first, but at least she got there :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

wow, shadow weaver sounds a lot like mom! :smith: - me, S1

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My only issue with this is I don't think Adora would wear a dress either, why does one have to be femme? They'd both rock sweet rear end suits.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Didn't Adora really like the dress for the Princess Ball thing? Honestly it seems like something she'd be really into, fancy dress for a fancy occasion.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Let adora be femme, but also I wanna see catra in a cute dress.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

My only issue with this is I don't think Adora would wear a dress either, why does one have to be femme? They'd both rock sweet rear end suits.

Isn't that literally what Adora was waring in her vision sequence?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

twistedmentat posted:

Adora, herself, literally fantasizes about wearing that exact dress in her idealized future.

So I think the issue of would she wear it is kind of an open and shut case.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hey folks! Me and some others are organizing a discord for animation fans away from SA, given the lowtax situation. Ask here or send me a PM if you want in.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I've joined a billion gooncords, what's one more?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I would also wish to join, for general merriment.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah sign me up. Even if I don't post much I would like to hang out in a community like the one itt. You're all cool as heck.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
That said apparently there's assholes looking for discord links to poo poo up roaming around, so probably best to PM individually when you do.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Yes I would like to animate in the discord. When appropriate.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd like an invite. All the Discords.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve joined like 10 today. My discord app is looking incredibly messy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve joined like 10 today. My discord app is looking incredibly messy.

I've had to use folders on Discord for the first time.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

FOR THE HONOR OF DISCORD

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I'll take a discord invite.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Would like in but don't have PMs here, is there another way you can send the invite?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ktb posted:

Would like in but don't have PMs here, is there another way you can send the invite?

you could make a disposable email and ask someone to send it there i guess.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ktb posted:

If you are comfortable with sharing your Discord ID (which should look like this: yournick#somenumbers) I can friend you and then send you an invite from there.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'll take an invite to anigoons discord

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you are comfortable with sharing your Discord ID (which should look like this: yournick#somenumbers) I can friend you and then send you an invite from there.

Sorted now thanks.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 25, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

T-man posted:

FOR THE HONOR OF DISCORD

here come dem big gay ladies :D

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

here come dem big gay ladies :D

https://twitter.com/gohak_su/status/1274347545469190144

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished season 1 after a friend highly recommended the show.

A few stray thoughts:

- My very first thought upon seeing Glimmer was "whoa, I've never seen a girl with that shape in a cartoon before" even though it's really common.
- Bow is hilarious. I about lost it when he ripped the midriff off his prom outfit.
- I absolutely love how inclusive this show is with regards to fashion; girls in poofy dresses, girls in armor, girls in tuxedos, girls in skintight off-the-pincer slinky dresses, plus Bow's bare stomach. Also there are hearts on the bottom of Bow's boots. ON THE BOTTOM! Dude knows how to stick with a theme.
- Catra is easily the best character on the show so far. She's clearly the show's second main character, which owns.
- All three of the main good guys (Adora, Glimmer, and Bow) are are kind of bland in comparison. Both Glimmer and Adora have issues they work through, but they're not explored nearly as deeply as Catra's.
- God drat, can you keep track of the loving sword between scenes? Please? I lost track of how many times I thought Adora left it behind only for it to magically be in her hand or on her back after leaving it on the ground somewhere.
- Scorpia and Entrapta are both awesome in completely different ways.
- I'm totally picking up romantic vibes between Catra (who is suppressing them) and Adora (who is oblivious), right?
- This show made me so gay I wrapped back around to straight.
- I want the action scenes to be so much more fluid than they are. I miss the choreography from Avatar.
- With all the care that's gone into showing the conflict between Catra and Adora as a multifaceted, layered set of overlapping issues, you'd think they could also manage a little subtlety into wrapping up the adventure of the week, but nope. Show has a REAL bad habit of just pulling out "the heroes win!" without making it feel earned.
- The "stuck in the First Ones temple" episode was the best of the season. More of that please.
- The prom episode was also great. Both of the villains had amazing outfits for the ball.

I'm gonna start season 2 tomorrow and will post some more stray thoughts when I have the time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ConfusedUs posted:

A few stray thoughts:

- My very first thought upon seeing Glimmer was "whoa, I've never seen a girl with that shape in a cartoon before" even though it's really common.
- Bow is hilarious. I about lost it when he ripped the midriff off his prom outfit.
- I absolutely love how inclusive this show is with regards to fashion; girls in poofy dresses, girls in armor, girls in tuxedos, girls in skintight off-the-pincer slinky dresses, plus Bow's bare stomach. Also there are hearts on the bottom of Bow's boots. ON THE BOTTOM! Dude knows how to stick with a theme.
- Catra is easily the best character on the show so far. She's clearly the show's second main character, which owns.
- All three of the main good guys (Adora, Glimmer, and Bow) are are kind of bland in comparison. Both Glimmer and Adora have issues they work through, but they're not explored nearly as deeply as Catra's.
- God drat, can you keep track of the loving sword between scenes? Please? I lost track of how many times I thought Adora left it behind only for it to magically be in her hand or on her back after leaving it on the ground somewhere.
- Scorpia and Entrapta are both awesome in completely different ways.
- I'm totally picking up romantic vibes between Catra (who is suppressing them) and Adora (who is oblivious), right?
- This show made me so gay I wrapped back around to straight.
- I want the action scenes to be so much more fluid than they are. I miss the choreography from Avatar.
- With all the care that's gone into showing the conflict between Catra and Adora as a multifaceted, layered set of overlapping issues, you'd think they could also manage a little subtlety into wrapping up the adventure of the week, but nope. Show has a REAL bad habit of just pulling out "the heroes win!" without making it feel earned.
- The "stuck in the First Ones temple" episode was the best of the season. More of that please.
- The prom episode was also great. Both of the villains had amazing outfits for the ball.

I'm gonna start season 2 tomorrow and will post some more stray thoughts when I have the time.

heheheehehe Welcome to this wonderful gay show!
IDK about others, but things do seem to get better fight wise, though it never really got past the video game level of 'a major battle is a handful of dudes'

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I forgot about the lack of object permanence but lol yeah She-Ra is a great show but absolutely loaded with scenes where people don't pick up objects and are suddenly carrying them again in the next shot.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

I forgot about the lack of object permanence but lol yeah She-Ra is a great show but absolutely loaded with scenes where people don't pick up objects and are suddenly carrying them again in the next shot.

I hadn't noticed any of this but tbf it happened all the time on the 80s show too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's definitely a videogame-like approach to having objects in inventory.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always assumed the sword was in Hammerspace when not on screen. I mean, it's a magic sword.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

I always assumed the sword was in Hammerspace when not on screen. I mean, it's a magic sword.

They made the point later on of having her morph it into a bracelet when she wasn't using it, which kind of only drew attention to the fact she'd never had any problems keeping up with it before.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Red Bones posted:

Okay I'll just try to ignore it, or pretend it's just one of those things that's always there unless the plot demands otherwise.

Gonna start S2 right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/wingedcorgi_art/status/1276954642312622080

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

This is amazing.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

ConfusedUs posted:

They'll get there - Glimmer started out as my least favourite for that very same reason and now she's easily in my top 5.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Heh.

Really good Catra though something seems off with Adora.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Loved the show. A little surprised that no one has commented that the big bad was one of the better metaphors for heroin that I've seen in media. People from abusive backgrounds, like Catra, have an affinity for that drug for obvious reasons. I mean, come on, he literally sticks a needle in people to make them forget all their problems and who they are.

A nice callback to the 80s drug panic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That connection is dubious at best. But well, death of the author I guess.