Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
are there any downsides to hiring mercenary admirals? they won't backstab me in some weird event, will they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

are there any downsides to hiring mercenary admirals? they won't backstab me in some weird event, will they?

If they're from the marauders that spawn the great khan they'll leave you. That's about it I think. Also they wont have any of the bonuses your other leaders get once you go down one of the three ascension paths.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gort posted:

Nah, that's the right move if you can't beat the Khan. The Khan will die in 25 years and you can break free then if you need to. Meanwhile you can build up in peace.

Honestly it's a bit hosed up atm.

He's taking over my systems and I think its because he's invading my observation posts and colonizing the planets I havn't terraformed.

It's annoying as gently caress. Also he's building stations everywhere that I snaked off. It's going to be a rough fight after this I believe.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vord posted:

If they're from the marauders that spawn the great khan they'll leave you. That's about it I think. Also they wont have any of the bonuses your other leaders get once you go down one of the three ascension paths.

that's fine, i don't think i'll be using them for that long, i just needed a replacement for my Eager admiral and i was sitting on a pile of cash lol. mid game crisis starts in 50 years and if i don't have an ascension by then that makes my native admirals better, that means i hosed up right! thanks

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Oh yeah the Conservation Act being proposed repeatedly is great.

They fixed that exact bug with the Sanctions and then brought it back with the Space Fauna stuff.

:shepicide:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I played a game for the first time with the Event Horizon Offset Facility mod, and I really liked it -- it's a fantastic mod and clearly a great deal of work went into it. I especially like the appearance and animation of the Compound in conversations; that can't have been easy to do in Blender or similar.

The amount and quality of additional content is amazing, but I'm not sure I want to play future games with this. It almost changes the game a little too much for my liking, especially in terms of having to restructure your economy to start churning out Sentient Metal, 1) because it lets you use better ship components, so of course I'd want to do that, but more importantly 2) this is the only way to really damage the Compound so it's kind of required for the survival of the galaxy.

I had some trouble guessing about whether I had enough fleet strength to take the new crisis fleets in a straight fight, since you get the ability to do serious damage to the Compound via special weapons that have a +7500% damage buff to that faction (at least with the difficulty/crisis strength that I was playing on -- not sure how that changes). I lucked out and had a straight shot to their "homeworld", and was able to destroy the Compound while ignoring many of their fleets.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

hey so i'm using Guilli's Technologies, and i was suggested by a friend to post an issue here since Guilli is a goon and might see it.

i'm having a crash issue where my game dies at the end of the month consistently, which seems to be being caused by an event trigger failing. this is what shows up in the error log immediately before the crash:
code:
[21:20:42][trigger_impl.cpp:840]: Script Error: Invalid context switch[FromFrom], file: events/gt_events.txt line: 34, Scope: 
i rummaged through GT a bit and the supposed offending code in there is this:
code:
# when system changes owner 1
# From = system
# FromFrom = country (new owner)
# This = country (previous owner)
event = {
    id = gt_events.2
    hide_window = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
		FromFrom = { has_technology = GT_shipsize_mining_station_hull_add }
    }
    immediate = {
		FromFrom = {
			every_owned_ship = {
				ship_event = { id = gt_events.1 }
			}
		}
    }
}
the only thing i can think of that's happening is that "FromFrom" might be empty, so it's crashing when it does the check? either way, kind of a show-stopper, and hopefully Guilli or someone who knows more than me about stellaris modding can help me make a quick patch for it i can slap on it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't tell off the bat what's going on but I agree that fromfrom is probably undefined. Meaning maybe that in whatever context calls this, it doesn't create a new owner for some reason. What calls this event? (Likely in on_actions or another event.) Also it's weird that this is just an "event" and not a "country_event" or something. Plain rear end events exist but aren't common.

Hope Guilli sees this!

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Can't tell off the bat what's going on but I agree that fromfrom is probably undefined. Meaning maybe that in whatever context calls this, it doesn't create a new owner for some reason. What calls this event? (Likely in on_actions or another event.) Also it's weird that this is just an "event" and not a "country_event" or something. Plain rear end events exist but aren't common.

Hope Guilli sees this!
it occurs to me, something that might be happening could be it being broken by the names of some of the empires? i recently changed up some of my empires to have colours in their names (which looks horrible on the galaxy map, you can see the special characters and no colours :() and possibly it's screwing with it somehow. i'm gonna pop it open in an editor and modify the empire names to not have special characters in them and see if that helps.

really hoping i can figure out a fix or workaround, this is the first game i've actually managed to not be in constant horrible deficits and am strong enough that the only empire even remotely equal to me (other than the fallen empire) is cONSume the FLESH, the friendly neighbourhood devouring swarm.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I dunno but I'd be surprised if the player facing name matters, internally it's all using references, tokens, and id codes. But it'd be interesting if so.

Any other mods active that mess with governments or empire properties?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

dunno. here's what i have right now, as far as i know GT is the big one, but i could be wrong. game spits them out in alphabetical order, i made sure compatibility mods are loaded at the bottom and SLEX is at the top.
code:
Mod_1: Archaeology Story Pack 
Mod_2: Astronomical Emblem Pack 
Mod_3: Auto Survey At Start Standalone 
Mod_4: Compatibility - Guilli's Techs & Planetary Diversity 
Mod_5: Dark UI 
Mod_6: Expanded Colours [180 Colours] 
Mod_7: Feed the Lithoids 
Mod_8: Guilli's Planet Modifiers 2.7 
Mod_9: Guilli's Ship Components 2.7 
Mod_10: Guilli's Technologies 2.7 
Mod_11: Just More Flags (Achievement Compatible) 
Mod_12: Just Name Lists 
Mod_13: Just Star Names 
Mod_14: Light Borders + Swapped Colors + Star Pins 
Mod_15: Machine Shipset 
Mod_16: More Events Mod 
Mod_17: Planetary Diversity 
Mod_18: Psionics Re-Re-Expanded 
Mod_19: Real Space - Colour Out of Deep 
Mod_20: Real Space 3.6 
Mod_21: SLEX 
Mod_22: Shorter Senat Time 
Mod_23: SpeedDial 
Mod_24: Spook's Space Empires 
Mod_25: "Tier Numbers: Tech" 
Mod_26: Tiny Outliner v2 
Mod_27: UI Bigger Font 
Mod_28: UI Overhaul Dynamic 
Mod_29: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Expanded Colours 
Mod_30: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Planetary Diversity 
Mod_31: UI Overhaul Dynamic + SpeedDial 
Mod_32: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner v2 
Mod_33: UI Overhaul Dynamic - Dark UI 
Mod_34: UI Overhaul Dynamic - No Backgrounds 
Mod_35: War Name Variety - UPDATED 
edit: Spook's Space Empires is my mod, it just adds custom empires so i can play in a galaxy of premade ones instead of weird random empires. i find it gives the game more personality. doesn't edit any governments or events, just a bunch of prescripted_country entries.

if it helps, the game is at 2331.01.01, the game crashes on the 28th of the month without fail, and the current midgame crisis is the surveyor probe flying around blowing everyone the gently caress up.

edit: ok so i deleted the event to see if i could get past 2331.01.28 and then re-add it, crash still happens. makes me think the issue isn't Guilli's, but something else. maybe something is creating an empire and it's crashing? this is showing up a ton right at the end of the crash log, right before where the GT error was showing up:
code:
[22:42:30][trigger_impl.cpp:24110]: Invalid origin with key [origin_pd_shroud]  file:  file: events/pd_engine.txt line: 1433 line: 1
that's from Planetary Diversity. the really unhelpful exception being thrown is this
code:
Unhandled exception C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x00007FF61EAA43B8
edit: cleaned out every reference to origin_pd_shroud and that didn't fix it either. problem is way deeper than either, i think. even disabling both doesn't fix it (but does cause really bizarre weirdness, haw). it might be that this save has run its course :(

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 1, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are there any save game compatible mods that fixes automated sectors because they are doing nothing. And I draw my lines at 15 planets..

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do you win 1v2 wars in the early game? For example you run into an empire and they instantly close borders and start lowering relations to rival you. So you explore in another direction and meet a second empire and they close their borders and lower relations. Then both realize they hate you and stars signing all the pacts and inevitably both declare war on you and now you are outnumbered two to one and they're coming from at least two directions. Assuming you are lucky enough to get choke points you can hold off with one empire with a fleet at a starbase but the other side is getting wrecked. And then they take your systems which makes you even weaker and them even stronger for the next war.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Poil posted:

How do you win 1v2 wars in the early game? For example you run into an empire and they instantly close borders and start lowering relations to rival you. So you explore in another direction and meet a second empire and they close their borders and lower relations. Then both realize they hate you and stars signing all the pacts and inevitably both declare war on you and now you are outnumbered two to one and they're coming from at least two directions. Assuming you are lucky enough to get choke points you can hold off with one empire with a fleet at a starbase but the other side is getting wrecked. And then they take your systems which makes you even weaker and them even stronger for the next war.

The correct answer is to immediately declare war on the first guy before he can make any pacts. That's basically rule one of Stellaris, if your nearest neighbor isn't friendly you'd better murk them before they make friends to murder you with.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Affi posted:

Are there any save game compatible mods that fixes automated sectors because they are doing nothing. And I draw my lines at 15 planets..

Glavius's Ultimate AI and StarNet AI both edit the sectors, should make them slightly less garbage, like not building unbelievable amounts of precinct houses for no reason or spamming civilian industries when what you actually need is an energy grid. StarNet is more feature complete, though it also makes AIs ridiculously aggressive - if you aren't optimally picking research to make your navy as strong as possible as quick as possible, you can run into a problem of the now really aggressive AIs curbstomping you early because you happened to be an ethic they don't like.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

You plan your initial expansion specifically for defense, and then guard your core areas with a common fleet using interior lines. Remember that wars in Stellaris are basically not about holding territory, they are about forcing WE though fleet actions. Once you get your opponent to a place where they'll accept a status quo peace, you just send tiny fast Corvette fleets around to retake whatever systems they had claims on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish the +5 Starbases ascension perk was either repeatable or added a percentage. I run out of capacity way too quickly.

:saddowns:

E: I play with a 27 perk slot mod, though.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What do I do if i get boxed off by a bunch of empires and find that all the planets I could find are mostly like 3-4 districts of Power, Mining and Food. Or in some cases 4 power 2 mining and 6 food with district limits of like 12.
I can't build specialized mining or generator worlds and I don't know how I'm going to get some alloy or consumer goods production out. I also got really unlucky. I didn't find a single relic world and my precursor is Irrasian.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kraftwerk posted:

What do I do if i get boxed off

you fight for space

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
By the way, had a weird problem in an MP co-op game yesterday - one player wouldn't get federation vote notifications. He didn't see the notification to invite people in, to make peace when at war, any of them. Anyone seen that before?

I was wondering if he'd just turned off that notification somehow but I've no idea how that could've happened.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gort posted:

By the way, had a weird problem in an MP co-op game yesterday - one player wouldn't get federation vote notifications. He didn't see the notification to invite people in, to make peace when at war, any of them. Anyone seen that before?

I was wondering if he'd just turned off that notification somehow but I've no idea how that could've happened.

You control and right click a notification, I do it for market trading all the time. Disabled notifications show up in a list on your outline at the bottom.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

What do I do if i get boxed off by a bunch of empires and find that all the planets I could find are mostly like 3-4 districts of Power, Mining and Food. Or in some cases 4 power 2 mining and 6 food with district limits of like 12.
I can't build specialized mining or generator worlds and I don't know how I'm going to get some alloy or consumer goods production out. I also got really unlucky. I didn't find a single relic world and my precursor is Irrasian.

Start a new game because RNG clearly hosed you over.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I mean, getting the (rassen frassen) Irassians is reason enough for me to restart.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 1, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone having trouble getting migration treaties to actually work as Void Dwellers? I'm playing authoritarian so I can scoot people out of my habitats, but I can't build colony ships for the 3 other species of the other nations I've been buttering up and I've lucked into 3 non-FE Gaia Worlds ready to go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Go all in on science and rush hsbitats, or go all in on alloys and take someone else's planets.

Sometimes you lose anyway, such is games.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Syfe posted:

I mean, getting the (rassen frassen) Irassians is reason enough for me to restart.

Got the Grunor like twelve systems away in another empires space.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Anyone having trouble getting migration treaties to actually work as Void Dwellers? I'm playing authoritarian so I can scoot people out of my habitats, but I can't build colony ships for the 3 other species of the other nations I've been buttering up and I've lucked into 3 non-FE Gaia Worlds ready to go.

Have you checked the species rights and also tried to build the colony ship from the target planet?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

Have you checked the species rights and also tried to build the colony ship from the target planet?

Yeah, only my empire's species is shown.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shadowlyger posted:

The correct answer is to immediately declare war on the first guy before he can make any pacts. That's basically rule one of Stellaris, if your nearest neighbor isn't friendly you'd better murk them before they make friends to murder you with.

how do you fight effectively in the early game? between tech randomness and not having many systems/much intel, it feels like i'm struggling to keep pace at all. i tried it once, two science ships and just hard into military, and i showed up and got met with an army 50% larger than mine

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I think the AI is always going to outdo you in the start because of their raw bonuses. It is only when you have had time to apply your human brain to the problem can you start to get ahead.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Stefan in with a topical vid: https://youtu.be/8S6VfN2WVkY

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah, only my empire's species is shown.

Check your default rights - you probably have colonization disallowed for species other than your native species.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Migration treaties worked fine for my hippy xenophile void dwellers. Check that those species are actually allowed to colonize, your default rights might have that turned off

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just picked up all the dlc from the steam sale. I haven’t played since release and everything is hella different.

Is there a YouTube or something that will give me a quick brush up on how to play? Where did my tiles go?

Also, and recommended QOL mods? Nothing game breaking but fun stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Just picked up all the dlc from the steam sale. I haven’t played since release and everything is hella different.

Is there a YouTube or something that will give me a quick brush up on how to play? Where did my tiles go?

Also, and recommended QOL mods? Nothing game breaking but fun stuff.

up to date tutorials: here you go!

helpful mod: here you go!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

up to date tutorials: here you go!

helpful mod: here you go!

Thank you!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

surfacelevelstudd posted:

dunno. here's what i have right now, as far as i know GT is the big one, but i could be wrong. game spits them out in alphabetical order, i made sure compatibility mods are loaded at the bottom and SLEX is at the top.
code:
Mod_1: Archaeology Story Pack 
Mod_2: Astronomical Emblem Pack 
Mod_3: Auto Survey At Start Standalone 
Mod_4: Compatibility - Guilli's Techs & Planetary Diversity 
Mod_5: Dark UI 
Mod_6: Expanded Colours [180 Colours] 
Mod_7: Feed the Lithoids 
Mod_8: Guilli's Planet Modifiers 2.7 
Mod_9: Guilli's Ship Components 2.7 
Mod_10: Guilli's Technologies 2.7 
Mod_11: Just More Flags (Achievement Compatible) 
Mod_12: Just Name Lists 
Mod_13: Just Star Names 
Mod_14: Light Borders + Swapped Colors + Star Pins 
Mod_15: Machine Shipset 
Mod_16: More Events Mod 
Mod_17: Planetary Diversity 
Mod_18: Psionics Re-Re-Expanded 
Mod_19: Real Space - Colour Out of Deep 
Mod_20: Real Space 3.6 
Mod_21: SLEX 
Mod_22: Shorter Senat Time 
Mod_23: SpeedDial 
Mod_24: Spook's Space Empires 
Mod_25: "Tier Numbers: Tech" 
Mod_26: Tiny Outliner v2 
Mod_27: UI Bigger Font 
Mod_28: UI Overhaul Dynamic 
Mod_29: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Expanded Colours 
Mod_30: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Planetary Diversity 
Mod_31: UI Overhaul Dynamic + SpeedDial 
Mod_32: UI Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner v2 
Mod_33: UI Overhaul Dynamic - Dark UI 
Mod_34: UI Overhaul Dynamic - No Backgrounds 
Mod_35: War Name Variety - UPDATED 
edit: Spook's Space Empires is my mod, it just adds custom empires so i can play in a galaxy of premade ones instead of weird random empires. i find it gives the game more personality. doesn't edit any governments or events, just a bunch of prescripted_country entries.

if it helps, the game is at 2331.01.01, the game crashes on the 28th of the month without fail, and the current midgame crisis is the surveyor probe flying around blowing everyone the gently caress up.

edit: ok so i deleted the event to see if i could get past 2331.01.28 and then re-add it, crash still happens. makes me think the issue isn't Guilli's, but something else. maybe something is creating an empire and it's crashing? this is showing up a ton right at the end of the crash log, right before where the GT error was showing up:
code:
[22:42:30][trigger_impl.cpp:24110]: Invalid origin with key [origin_pd_shroud]  file:  file: events/pd_engine.txt line: 1433 line: 1
that's from Planetary Diversity. the really unhelpful exception being thrown is this
code:
Unhandled exception C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x00007FF61EAA43B8
edit: cleaned out every reference to origin_pd_shroud and that didn't fix it either. problem is way deeper than either, i think. even disabling both doesn't fix it (but does cause really bizarre weirdness, haw). it might be that this save has run its course :(

I've sadly found the error log to be entirely useless when it comes to game crashes. There's also a lot "errors" the error log logs that aren't really errors (more like warnings or false positives). There's a few with my mod that produce errors but work consistently fine. I think the error logging itself is not that well maintained on pdx's side.

Now onto crashing; rarely (and I mean rarely) will a script event cause a crash. Most crashes I've encounter/read/saw are caused by graphics parts (ui, ship models, portraits mods, shaders). I'm not sure to what extend that naming (name lists etc) can destabilise a game. Judging from the mod lists it could be an odd combination of things (sorry this isnt helpful I know). Short of making a test save, and disabling one mod, load save, see if it crashes and repeat I don't think there's a way to learn which mod is crashing it.

Sorry I cant be more helpful :( The game is relatively hard to crash compared to other modded games, so there's very little community pressure to have tools to find out why it crashes.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Picked this up in the Steam sale having never played a paradox game before and there’s a bit of a learning curve...

I’ve been playing on (I think) easy difficulty with the tutorial on - so far I’m really enjoying the exploration, event chains and the overall 4X-y feeling of it all, but I still don’t know what half the sections on the sidebar are for and the tutorial doesn’t do a great job of explaining them.

I’m getting into what feels like the early mid-game - I’m getting hemmed in on nearly all sides by other empires and have limited room to expand further. I think overall I’m not loving up *too* badly, but there’s a few things I’d like to be put right on:

The tutorial bot told me I should create a new sector but didn’t tell me *how* - after a bit of googling I found a bunch of angry redditors complaining that sectors don’t actually do much. Should I bother with this?

How do I do trade? I’ve build trade hubs in a few systems (after I eventually realised they were a starbase upgrade and not some new thing I had to research), but I can’t really see whether I’m gaining anything from them?

One of my more aggressive neighbours has started laying claim to some of my systems - will this have any effect or is he just posturing? (The victory report says we’re of roughly equal military strength).

Tech Research seems to be really slow compared to other 4X games and it seems like the fastest way to make progress is to send out as many science ships as possible and hope you find an anomaly that drops a big research reward. (I’ve been building every research station I can but it feels like I’m barely keeping pace with increasing research requirements).

Definitely enjoying things so far, but holy poo poo there are a lot of buttons to push.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guilliman posted:

Now onto crashing; rarely (and I mean rarely) will a script event cause a crash. Most crashes I've encounter/read/saw are caused by graphics parts (ui, ship models, portraits mods, shaders). I'm not sure to what extend that naming (name lists etc) can destabilise a game. Judging from the mod lists it could be an odd combination of things (sorry this isnt helpful I know). Short of making a test save, and disabling one mod, load save, see if it crashes and repeat I don't think there's a way to learn which mod is crashing it.

You could do it much faster by enabling/disabling half the mods at once, then (if it doesn’t crash) enabling half of what’s just been disabled or (if it does crash) disabling half of what’s just been enabled, i.e standard binary search procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorTristan posted:

Picked this up in the Steam sale having never played a paradox game before and there’s a bit of a learning curve...
Trade hubs collect trade value from nearby systems, one extra jump away per trade hub on the starbase (+1 for hyperlane registrar), so each trade station can collect up to a maximum of 7 hyperlane jumps away from themselves when fully upgraded to a citadel with 6 hubs + HR. Trade value is the little ring icon with a number next to it that you can see on most systems alongside minerals, energy, etc on the galactic map. If the trade value icon is visible without pressing anything, that means that system isn't being collected and thus provides no trade value. There's also piracy, but that's a whole nother problem you shouldn't need to worry about too much right now.

The tutorial playlist for the current version of stellaris I linked a few posts up should help you a lot, it also has some in depth tutorials on the overwhelming UI and focuses exclusively on that for a video or two.

And grab the glavius AI mod, also linked above. It'll just generally improve the AI of both your empire and non-player empires without making it bullshit hard.