Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
The NL DH actually rules because I get to see a never ending stream of NL babies crying about change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pobrecito posted:

The NL DH actually rules because I get to see a never ending stream of NL babies crying about change.

Change for the sake of change isn't good.

Adding the DH to the NL is entirely a labor relations move. It creates fifteen new jobs for influential veterans.

It does not make the game better in any way.

Show me changes that make the game better, and I'll be all for them.

Apr 7, 2003

Pobrecito posted:

This is some Trump fan level poo poo, "I'm glad because they're mad."

That's not how you make decisions about changes in a 160 year old game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The DH is cool and good and watching pitchers flail about helplessly just for the 1/20 chance that they do something notable isn't worth the hassle and nobody will miss it within a year.

Apr 7, 2003

Super Jay Mann posted:

The DH is cool and good and watching pitchers flail about helplessly just for the 1/20 chance that they do something notable isn't worth the hassle and nobody will miss it within a year.

The DH is a relic from the seventies meant to boost attendance.

It failed. The AL has been the lower attendance league since the seventies.

The gimmick failed. Abolish the DH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh, I have faith.

Apr 7, 2003

All the DH whoring is based on the idea that bigger number = always better.

The pitcher is meant to be a weakness in the lineup. Fuckin deal with it. Pitching around the 8th spot to get to the pitcher is an intentional part of the game.

Ironically, we've got dipshit Manfred talking about starting a runner on second in extras as a fix for long games when as the game was designed, extras were supposed to be limited by your ability to pinch hit.

We're creating more rules abominations to fix the problems our rules abominations created.

Abolish the DH and be done with the fuckups already.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The DH is a huge boon for the Cubs, not just because of Schwarber, but also because it more easily gets Contreras or Caratini into the lineup. Or gives Rizzo a day off from first to manage his back issues. Or gets Bote in the lineup. Or can be used for Souza who has a good bat but is an injury mess.

That said, gently caress the DH.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBhRvQIqW0

1971 world series game seven. Was like two hours.

Turns out that when the ball gets put into play a lot, the game goes faster.

Apr 7, 2003

Sydin posted:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The DH has paid for itself by the fact that

Pobrecito posted:

All praise the DH and it's prophet Edgar Martinez

Apr 7, 2003

"The DH is good because it makes people mad" is straight up revanchist poo poo and maybe your energy is better spent selling Pinochet merch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"The DH is good because it makes people mad" is straight up revanchist poo poo and maybe your energy is better spent selling Pinochet merch.

actually, liking poo poo because it pisses off PFC is 100% praxis

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

actually, liking poo poo because it pisses off PFC is 100% praxis

Liking things because people you don't like don't like it is sixth grade baby poo poo.

You can't run an ongoing business on spite.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the DH is conceptually cool and while I support a team that will likely benefit from it I'm still morning the loss of one of the few remaining differences between the leagues that made baseball interesting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pobrecito posted:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Pobrecito posted:

Ah, yes, the Designated Hitter, commonly known as “baseball’s face mask.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The DH is a huge boon for the Cubs, not just because of Schwarber, but also because it more easily gets Contreras or Caratini into the lineup. Or gives Rizzo a day off from first to manage his back issues. Or gets Bote in the lineup. Or can be used for Souza who has a good bat but is an injury mess.

Mmmm, yeah, need me some league-average Bote in the lineup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/AM570LASports/status/1278379359078764544

:thunk:

Timby posted:

Mmmm, yeah, need me some league-average Bote in the lineup.

Cry all you want but he had the 9th highest wRC+ on the Cubs last year which means, with the DH, he should mathematically be in the lineup every day until proven otherwise :shrug:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 2, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I really enjoy all the bizarre century-old quirks that make baseball the idiosyncratic and pleasantly pastoral experience that it is. Effect on the game itself is really a secondary concern to preserving the unique field dimensions and the idea that sometimes you play indoors. Railing against change or quoting statistics or pitcher dingers or anything else isn't really addressing the issue with the NL DH, which is that it homogenizes the leagues and removes something that was once uniquely a baseball thing. It seems small and meaningless but of the sports that exist baseball was the only one that had a different rule depending on where you played. It helped keep the sense that baseball is a local thing, with regional differences you have to learn for yourself, right down to different boroughs in New York. So while I'm sure I like dingers just as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is PFC), what I value more is knowing that baseball understands my fandom and why I like it.

Which is why I don't really have that much of a problem with that whole trash can thing, because it's weird and unique and it makes a fun story in so short a phrase

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

while the first volley of this will be cool, it will get so tedious so fast. with any luck, the NL DH will kill certain fans' loves of the game and we will never have to see their garbage posting about the sanctity of baseball history again

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

what in the actual gently caress

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i like pitchers hitting because as a cubs fan the way i learned to appreciate baseball is by romanticizing futility

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The DH is what this bastard season deserves.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
DH arguments are forums cancer. I hate both sides, vigorously.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

GalacticAcid posted:

DH arguments are forums cancer. I hate both sides, vigorously.

I sometimes confuse you and PFC.

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Casnorf posted:

I sometimes confuse you and PFC.

:drat:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
DH is the only thing PFC talks about and I hate talking about it so not sure how that adds up but oh well

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I for one will be extremely confused when Justin Turner hits homeruns

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

the Mariners are definitely gonna make the playoffs this year.
Don't give me hope.

Its Rinaldo posted:

All praise the DH and it's prophet Edgar Martinez
This, 100% unironically.

The DH is good, pitchers hitting is bad.

Namaste

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is interesting if you have an Athletic subscription:
https://theathletic.com/1905651/2020/07/02/prohibition-baseball-inside-the-biggest-all-star-game-no-one-watched/

If you don't the summary is that a bunch of big leaguers played secret baseball during the COVID shutdown at a high school in Florida.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would like to point out that I did not actually debate the DH last night.

After all, to do so would be akin to supporting Pinochet or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The DH is what this bastard season deserves.

I agree. Trying to balance out all the bad with something good is a nice step.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Slimy Hog posted:

This is interesting if you have an Athletic subscription:
https://theathletic.com/1905651/2020/07/02/prohibition-baseball-inside-the-biggest-all-star-game-no-one-watched/

If you don't the summary is that a bunch of big leaguers played secret baseball during the COVID shutdown at a high school in Florida.

Reminds me of the strike in 95. I was at Bucky Dent Baseball School in Fl. and a number of major leaguers were around to keep in shape. Jose Rijo throwing a bullpen around the corner from mine or watching Mike Piazza and Andres Gallaraga getting loose on the field next to ours was a stark reminder of how ridiculously talented professional athletes are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's these basketball courts in the Village known in NYC as "The Cage". And like any given afternoon when you walk past them you'll see a crowd and sometimes a camera crew. There's regular tournaments and commercials done there, but like also a lot of the time there will just be a crowd watching a couple of people play. Because a ton of the best amateur talent in the city are drawn there to go against each other and entertain people so you can watch people play basketball at a level that's just completely beyond what you and your friends do. But the real treat is that every once and awhile a NBAer will show up and then its just this whole other level where you're not even sure you're seeing what you're seeing.

There's nothing quite like watching professional athletes perform in an informal setting that really showcases how superhuman they are.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Quintana competing with Sosa for dumbest injury.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29399821/cubs-jose-quintana-hurt-washing-dishes-surgery

quote:

Cubs' Jose Quintana hurt washing dishes, has surgery

Chicago Cubs left-hander Jose Quintana needed surgery to repair a laceration he suffered washing dishes.

The team said the 31-year-old was injured at his home in Miami, suffering a laceration on his left thumb that required five stitches.

"This morning in Chicago, Quintana underwent microscopic surgery on his left thumb to further determine the extent of his injury," the team said Thursday in a statement. "The procedure identified a lacerated digital sensory nerve in his left thumb, which was surgically repaired."

Quintana is expected to start throwing again in two weeks, and then the team will determine how long he will be out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I assume you're just limiting this to the Cubs because I can think of a few that are dumber than both

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1278753459395846150

Base. Ball.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Must be nice to have immediate access to the world’s best orthopods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh I thought it was Baltimore that had the famous crabs