Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I remember legit guilty-enjoying Flash season 1 as my intro to CW soaps, I bounced off Arrow at first viewing, but Flash season 2 was a rapid and hysterical journey into “oh god Barry, wtf you moron”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first season of Flash is crazy good because they front loaded 30 years of comic continuity into the plot without explaining poo poo at first and it was a fuckin roller coaster. Those watch threads were so much fun back then.

poo poo, remember when Thawne goatse'd America?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Remember in the pilot where Barry had magic csi powers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CainsDescendant posted:

Remember in the pilot where Barry had magic csi powers

He had them on Arrow too. But when he got lightning'd the speed force blocked them because it was jealous.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Honestly I wish they made more of how the Flash’s object lesson is that you can never, ever, ever mess with the timeline because it’ll destroy the universe, meanwhile on Legends. . .

Like, just have Sisko or Caitlin or whoever have to tag along and see how things go for an episode or two, watch them learn that no, it’s not time travel that’s the problem, it’s Barry.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"You left a documentary crew in Imperialist Russia?!"

"Well, we... went and got them... eventually... I think?"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If they'd figured out how to do big bads flash could have been the best show by miles but it's only the best show by meters

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pile of brown posted:

If they'd figured out how to do big bads flash could have been the best show by miles but it's only the best show by meters

Imo, I don't think The Flash has enough tentpole villains in his Rogues gallery to hold up an entire season. At least not individually. As a team, they might but it requires some serious writing ability to pull it all the way through a 20+ episode season. Grodd is someone who could though just give him mind controlled proxies and have him operating in the background/shadows during most of the season.

Instead, three speedster finale villains in a row. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Flash has one of the greatest collection of villains ever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Imo, I don't think The Flash has enough tentpole villains in his Rogues gallery to hold up an entire season. At least not individually. As a team, they might but it requires some serious writing ability to pull it all the way through a 20+ episode season. Grodd is someone who could though just give him mind controlled proxies and have him operating in the background/shadows during most of the season.

Instead, three speedster finale villains in a row. :shrug:

I get Legends benefited from it but moving Captain Cold and Heatwave to LoT threw a wrench in the plans it would seem.

I think the only truly wretched season of the Flash was Season 2 because it was Season 1 but done in the worst possible way which is so bizarre because Season 1 was near perfection.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

pile of brown posted:

They're getting better by splitting up the villains throughout a season. I know Arrow did the same thing the Diaz season and it flopped but it's working on Flash. I do wonder, why are the episode orders for CW hero shows so absolutely insane? Like 24 or so 45 minute episodes? That's like 10-12 movies a year.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Blaise330 posted:

They're getting better by splitting up the villains throughout a season. I know Arrow did the same thing the Diaz season and it flopped but it's working on Flash. I do wonder, why are the episode orders for CW hero shows so absolutely insane? Like 24 or so 45 minute episodes? That's like 10-12 movies a year.

That’s the norm for a US network tv show.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Agreed, Flash s01 was near perfection as far as comic book TV goes. It had a fun cast with chemistry, did some cross overs with Arrow where the big difference in attitudes of the main characters and tone of the shows was handled masterfully (the training scene with Ollie shooting arrows in jolly Barry’s back with hidden turrets to teach him a lesson is an example of this), it introduced a lot of great golden age villains, and the main villain was revealed in a satisfying way and didn’t take up a big part of the plot until the end of the season.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s the norm for a US network tv show.

It worked better in the old days of episodic TV where an action or crime show had an independent story every week and the occasional two-parter or recurring plot thread. It just fails in the modern serial TV era, at least if you try to make a single arc through the whole season. Doesn't matter if you stretch it out or add filler, a single superhero story told over 20+ (broadcast) hours tends to lose steam.

The pod approach like Agents of SHIELD or the last Flash season did worked okay, since it's functionally two or three short seasons per year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killer robot posted:

It just fails in the modern serial TV era, at least if you try to make a single arc through the whole season. Doesn't matter if you stretch it out or add filler, a single superhero story told over 20+ (broadcast) hours tends to lose steam.
Only because they're writing them as a weird compromise between episodic and serialised storytelling. Rather than doing the old standard of purely episodic stories (which they did so that they could be watched out of sequence and still make sense) they could do purely serialised stories (which plenty of TV shows do quite well) but they opt for neither. You can't watch them out of sequence because there's stuff happening in a season-long plot each week, but also each episode tends to have its own complete story as well. And it's the season-long story that suffers because it has to be weirdly spaced out. Because it's never the focus of the episode (except right at the start and end of the season) it usually feels like the characters are just doing a lot of waiting around. Season one of Flash did it pretty well because Thawne had an actual reason for waiting, whereas later seasons generally had villains who could have acted at any time but just didn't.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Killer robot posted:

It worked better in the old days of episodic TV where an action or crime show had an independent story every week and the occasional two-parter or recurring plot thread. It just fails in the modern serial TV era, at least if you try to make a single arc through the whole season. Doesn't matter if you stretch it out or add filler, a single superhero story told over 20+ (broadcast) hours tends to lose steam.

The pod approach like Agents of SHIELD or the last Flash season did worked okay, since it's functionally two or three short seasons per year.

The breakup of Flash's last season seemed to be necessitated by Crisis though. And next season will be similarly broken up but that's been necessitated by COVID. I don't know if the plan is to totally switch to that format.

I do feel like Legends benefits from having shorter seasons than the other Arrowverse shows, so switching to that format or dropping things down to like 16 episodes would probably benefit Flash.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gordon Shumway posted:

The breakup of Flash's last season seemed to be necessitated by Crisis though. And next season will be similarly broken up but that's been necessitated by COVID. I don't know if the plan is to totally switch to that format.

I do feel like Legends benefits from having shorter seasons than the other Arrowverse shows, so switching to that format or dropping things down to like 16 episodes would probably benefit Flash.

COVID On Infinite Earths will be one hell of an event

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Gonna be awkward for the Flash crew to have to rely on Zoom for communication

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/BrandonJRouth/status/1279565405611155456
The subtle making GBS threads on Dean Cain is an added bonus.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I said it in another thread, I’ll say it here, he’s tied with Reeves for me, just way too wholesome a dude to not be a great Superman

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Im rewatching True Blood and so far Mehcad Brooks (Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl) showed up as a possessed runaway working for an ancient greek mythical creature, and Courtney Ford (Nora Dark) just showed up as a pro-vampire bureaucrat who has sex with a vampire who turns out to be her great x5 grandfather.

I wonder if any more cwdc alums pop up on this show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I said it in another thread, I’ll say it here, he’s tied with Reeves for me, just way too wholesome a dude to not be a great Superman

Err don't look into Reeves History. Cavill is waaayyyyy more wholesome than Reeves.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Darko posted:

Err don't look into Reeves History. Cavill is waaayyyyy more wholesome than Reeves.

I really like Cavill as Superman, too bad DC can't make a good Superman movie.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

George or Christopher?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jumba posted:

George or Christopher?

Has to be George, I thought it was odd too and when I looked I couldn't really find anything too crazy on Christopher.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Did anybody post this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsuGJjBvr5c

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Apparently headlining legends pays enough for a fairly nice house and kitchen

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
She did mention having roommates

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

The gig pays well if you don't mind 15 hour workdays for however long the production season runs.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That was a rollercoaster.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Caity has been in show business a long time. Iirc she was a backing dancer for pretty famous people in her late teens/twenties before transferring into acting. She is a very young looking 33

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's been Sarah Lance for like 7 years now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Plus look up how much houses in the wealthy parts of LA go for, they're less than some single family homes in SF.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Sloth Life posted:

Iirc she was a backing dancer for pretty famous people in her late teens/twenties before transferring into acting.
Her main ones were Lady Gaga and Avril Lavigne. She's in multiple Gaga videos, was on a couple of US tours, and I think did the now-legendary 2009 VMAs. With Avril she did two world tours. As far as contemporary dancing goes that's as good a paycheque as anyone can hope to get. I know Avril's backing band are paid several times more than industry standard for touring musicians; I don't know what her dancers got paid specifically but it's a safe bet that it would have been similarly extremely good money. And the budgets around Gaga in 2008 were insane, I wouldn't be surprised if her dancers then were paid more than TV actors now.

Though it wasn't all good times for Captain Lance.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That looks fun. Certainly no worse than Liberty X or that ilk

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

twistedmentat posted:

Plus look up how much houses in the wealthy parts of LA go for, they're less than some single family homes in SF.

Yeah, LA is a terrible real estate market in many ways, but I'm told it's less bad than the shitshow that is SF (and to a lesser degree Vancouver, apparently.) Home prices are still insurmountably high for anyone below Upper Middle Class, but I'd be shocked if a working actress who's headlined a network show for ~5 years (even if it is the CW) can't afford something kind of decent anywhere in LA proper. It sucks here, but it's not all $20M estates in Malibu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

Yeah, LA is a terrible real estate market in many ways, but I'm told it's less bad than the shitshow that is SF (and to a lesser degree Vancouver, apparently.) Home prices are still insurmountably high for anyone below Upper Middle Class, but I'd be shocked if a working actress who's headlined a network show for ~5 years (even if it is the CW) can't afford something kind of decent anywhere in LA proper. It sucks here, but it's not all $20M estates in Malibu.

Yea, there was a blog ages ago that compared Vancouver listings with LA listings and you'd get some wonderful mansion that belonged to Drew Berrymore that goes for about 3.2 million with a pool, tennis court and gardens, and for the same price you get a 2 story 3 bedroom, finished basement with 2.5 bath in Vancouver. I think upkeep on the LA home is probably more due to landscaping though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Don't forget all the conventions these guys go to. Being a star on a well regarded CW show sets you up for a long time. Look at the dude who played Chuck on Supernatural, he's not been in a lot of stuff but he's making pretty decent money going to these cons and he wasn't even the lead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

seaborgium posted:

Don't forget all the conventions these guys go to. Being a star on a well regarded CW show sets you up for a long time. Look at the dude who played Chuck on Supernatural, he's not been in a lot of stuff but he's making pretty decent money going to these cons and he wasn't even the lead.

Especially since Amell got them all organized. I read an article a while back that based on a single day at a con, it's speculated that Norman Reedus was taking home more money at cons that he was actually acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chuck was God so it makes sense he gets some gigs.