Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McSpanky posted:

Wasn't Cartoon Network running TTG! like 22 hours a day at one point? I don't even know how non-subscription cable works anymore.

Cartoon Network doesn't know how non subscription cable works either. They strangled several shows in their cribs while that TTG bloc was running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did Pat previously mention Shining Knight as a JSA member? Also Courtney needs to stop blasting people directly in the face. She lucked out this time but the last time she did it she put a guy in a coma.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Did Pat previously mention Shining Knight as a JSA member? Also Courtney needs to stop blasting people directly in the face. She lucked out this time but the last time she did it she put a guy in a coma.

I don't think Shining Knight was mentioned as part of the JSA team, but that he's showing up has me geeking out a little, if only because of the promise of, not Sir Justin, but 'Sir' Ystin. Shining Knight was part of the Golden Age JSA and the Seven Soldiers of Victory though (alongside the Star-Spangled Kid and others). I might have to take a look at Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E though to see what part is all in since some rudimentary searching shows that the Seven Soldiers reappeared in it but with roster changes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I'm kinda hoping he wasn't part of it, because I find it more interesting if this world had heroes outside of the JSA.

Also I was right on that Cynthia was Dr Ivors daughter. Though she's basically Laura Kinney with the blades and healing factor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I really don't care for the CW stuff.

Would I like Stargirl?
Stargirl is way better than any of the CW stuff - except for Legends of Tomorrow, but that's really doing a completely different thing. Stargirl is recognisably the same, I guess, genre as the CW shows, but done better. Like, when the CW characters do dumb things it's because the plot requires them to be stupid and you're supposed to ignore it. When Stargirl does dumb things it's because she's dumb. It's consistent characterisation and it's acknowledged by other characters.

For example:

Also Courtney needs to stop blasting people directly in the face. She lucked out this time but the last time she did it she put a guy in a coma.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Ok it seems like pressedbunny and Phylodox might have to work out some sort of duel to see if I watch Swampthin... Oh poo poo Phylodox won!

You chose..... wisely.

Seriously, Phylodox is right, the first episode is great, but the rest of the season is one long wet fart.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Tiggum posted:

When Stargirl does dumb things it's because she's dumb a teenager

This is a specific type of dumbness that most of us can relate to because we’ve been there, acting on impulse, driven by hormones, overestimating our own abilities, making bad priorities etc.

With teenage superheroes you have god-like power given to reckless people, who are then tasked with being the hope of humanity.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
we all knew that Ivy and Harley were meant to be together. The only twist was that Kiteman actually had half a chance to romance a proper super-villain who was generally not assumed to love the male gender/patriarchy. Sure, he was a total putz the whole way. He was a total bitch about a ton of wedding details, etc. In the end, he was a half-decent guy to the point I kinda rooted for, even knowing it was doomed to fail. When he finally says "hell no" I was legit sad. I get it, he realizes his value and that Ivy will never love him like she does Harley, but it sucks when such a decent guy kinda ends up falling on his sword a bit. Ivy/Harley will eventually be a good couple, but after growing to actually like Kiteman, it kinda sucked to see him walk away. And yes, the Thelma and Luise vibes were off the charts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've seen a lot of these kinds of romances where the central couple get interrupted by a bland but kind third wheel who scootches in on one of their pair in the destined relationship. I think it's in UK law that every second season does this. I think it was interesting to make Kiteman more sympathetic than these guys (or girls) usually are, by making him a defined character whose loss was taken seriously by the show.

But to be honest, I'm more interested in where the show can take the Harley/Ivy romance, and how they're going to define what's probably going to be a rocky relationship, at least early on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
CBR with a lovely take: https://www.cbr.com/harley-quinn-kite-man-season-3-antagonist/amp/

Yes, an entire season of a spurned lover stalking his former fiancee and her new lover. Sounds like it was thought up by Basement Guy.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

CBR with a lovely take: https://www.cbr.com/harley-quinn-kite-man-season-3-antagonist/amp/

Yes, an entire season of a spurned lover stalking his former fiancee and her new lover. Sounds like it was thought up by Basement Guy.
That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what I hope for. I wanted him to still show up a couple of times in a new season, but still as a completely okay guy. Maybe one time he shows up asking Ivy for help, and another time Ivy and/or Harley goes to him asking for help, and in both cases they do help because none of them really have any reason to dislike each other. Like maybe a bit of a bitter grudging help from Kiteman, with some grumbling, but he wouldn't say no.

"Revenge" is a completely loving stupid idea that doesn't fit with his character or the events so far at all. "I broke off our wedding, and now I'm out for REVENGE!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that's dumb as poo poo. Plus it said to me that Kite Man's love for Ivy made him realize she'd never be happy with him so that's why he ended it. He is capable of thinking about someone else's feelings besides himself. Which is something the chuds at CBR are clearly incapable of.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
CBR is a horrific cesspit and it's no surprise they'd so drastically misread the direction and purpose of the nice but ultimately incompatible third wheel.

I can't even fathom how 'Kite Man out for revenge' could last more than half an episode. His whole thing is that he's pretty much the worst at everything. The clue's in his name, he's a joke character. Every other character on the show can beat him shitless without breaking a sweat. If there is another season I don't doubt he'll show up in it here and there, but the idea of him being a central fixture, let alone the primary problem, is bizarre.

Any antagonist or big bad for a third season should be someone/something that hasn't been in the first two. Everything that came up in seasons one and two has been wrapped up pretty nicely, at least in terms of threats or the like. I second the suggestion made somewhere a couple of pages back, bring in Palmiotti & Conner's Power Girl so then you've got an easy reason to have Vartox show up.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I want a season long B-plot where Kiteman and Bane move into the house next door to the Joker, and enjoy an odd-couple-esque suburban life. their only problem; Jim Gordan keeps trying and failing to catch them in the act of committing nonexistent crimes, only to discover each time that it's a wacky misunderstanding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If KiteMan returns what I'd like to see is an episode where he and Ivy cross paths after Ivy and Harley have a fight and Chuck and Pam come to terms and talk it out before going separate ways amicably. I quite liked the Harley and Joker episode with the parademons because they had a good dynamic and managed to settle somewhat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only revenge Chuck should be seeking is for Ivy to pay for half of the expenses from the canceled wedding.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope we don't see Kiteman at all if there's another season except maybe a short news clip about a kite based crime spree somewhere far away from Gotham.

New episode of Doom Patrol was good. The Sex Men were...appropriately weird yet perfectly in place. Wasn't expecting to see a demon baby get shoved back into a periscope head demon.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 2, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah DP this week was fantastic and the perfect antidote to the first 3 eps which I liked but thought were a little too miserable at times

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This season seems to be doing a "Greatest Hits" of all of the various Doom Patrol stuff like they wanna do everything before the end. I don't mind if that's where the show is going, but idk how long they can keep up the pace before they run out of stuff from the Morrison era onwards.

If they ever go back to Danny, we'll see Danny the Ambulance/Danny the World which is super recent, but also cool.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/SarahO_Connell/status/1277845265685393408

Lots of good info, apparently.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
That scene with Dorothy and Flex was genuinely precious.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Instead of a third Harley Quinn season, give me a Joker spinoff where he tries to balance being a good husband and father with being a serial killer crime lord.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Instead of a third Harley Quinn season, give me a Joker spinoff where he tries to balance being a good husband and father with being a serial killer crime lord.

So you want Dexter.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So you reckon they should cancel the Harley Quinn show that has been pretty well received and then make a Joker show to replace it? The optics on that would be....something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thebardyspoon posted:

So you reckon they should cancel the Harley Quinn show that has been pretty well received and then make a Joker show to replace it? The optics on that would be....something.

Be honest that would be completely on brand for Warner Bros.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rhyno posted:

The only revenge Chuck should be seeking is for Ivy to pay for half of the expenses from the canceled wedding.

I'm not sure she has any money. Like, at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure she has any money. Like, at all.

She's an A-list supervillain. She has as much money as she wants.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She once made a plant that grew dollars.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She's an A-list supervillain. She has as much money as she wants.

Plus a genius biochemist who could cure somebody’s incurable blood disease

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So if you're going through Harley/Ivy withdrawal, there's a new comic on the shelf (Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red) that takes place in the same arc (and by the same artist) as Harleen and I have to admit the first issue's pretty damned :vince:.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So if you're going through Harley/Ivy withdrawal, there's a new comic on the shelf (Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red) that takes place in the same arc (and by the same artist) as Harleen and I have to admit the first issue's pretty damned :vince:.

Just to set expectations - only the first issue is in the Harleen continuity. They are doing a "different writer/artist per issue" thing.

I know I was talking about how the Harleen comic is hot poo poo, but I've come to agree that the art is great and the writing is poo poo.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I didn't know I needed Cliff & Vic starring in a 70's cop show but after watching the trailer for 2x05 I realize that that's exactly what I need in my life right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know she wasn't part of the classic JSA, Power Girl has been part of more recent versions. It's a long shot but ending Stargirl with Her pod crashing outside of Blue Valley would be a pretty good cliff hanger for Stargirl.

Also I love how Shiv looks way better on the show than in comics.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Problem with doing live action Power Girl is nobody can play her other than Melissa Benoist wearing the world's most ridiculous push-up bra.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pressedbunny posted:

Problem with doing live action Power Girl is nobody can play her other than Melissa Benoist wearing the world's most ridiculous push-up bra.

Or a bunch of them, just ask Chloe Bennett

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByX4231n4Eg/?hl=en

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking of her being more Court's age, so an actor who can pretend to be a teenager. And seriously, she doesn't need the boob window.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
All of the heros and villains in stargirl are dumb as a rock. Only cindy figured anything out right off.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If she doesn't have the hole, how's she gonna ask people to fill it?

I have literally no idea who could possibly play a comic accurate power girl with accuracy. That's the problem when your character design started out as a joke...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You can tell how old a goon is by them thinking it wasnt an edit saying Fill My Hole Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If she doesn't have the hole, how's she gonna ask people to fill it?

I have literally no idea who could possibly play a comic accurate power girl with accuracy. That's the problem when your character design started out as a joke...

The sister from Gifted? Natalie Alyn Lind.