Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why do they keep doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

do they? The last one I saw was when That 70s show did one and it was so painfully clear that they all had absolute poo poo voices

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bob's Burgers turned the entire show into this for some reason and it really drags it down.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mantis42 posted:

Why do they keep doing this?

Because you're wrong and they are, in fact, good. Except I'm pretty sure banned from Starbucks is right and they actually don't keep doing it any more. Last one I remember was the Flash/Supergirl crossover and it was real half-arsed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the Scrubs one sucks.

Bob’s Burgers has always been that way and I like it tbh

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Because you're wrong and they are, in fact, good. Except I'm pretty sure banned from Starbucks is right and they actually don't keep doing it any more. Last one I remember was the Flash/Supergirl crossover and it was real half-arsed.

I've never seen a single good musical episode in my life.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 6, "Once More With Feeling." Outstanding musical episode with great songs, mostly good-to-great performances, and it actually affects the larger plot of the season, so there's a good reason for it to be happening.

I was so disappointed by the Supergirl/Flash musical episode because it was a lot of awful, random, already-existing songs shoehorned in for no real reason, and the only halfway-decent original song was written by Rachel Bloom. So many of the actors on those CW/DC shows have musical theater backgrounds, it could have been a lot better and more ambitious than it was.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

the Scrubs one sucks.

Bob’s Burgers has always been that way and I like it tbh

BB can get away with it because the songs are catchy as hell

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Moonlighting - Atomic Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRaqV7A8YQo

As this show went along, they did more ridiculous and innovative shows.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 25, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How do you feel about musical episodes in musical shows? Or non-musical episodes in musical shows? This might help determine the root of your problem.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 25, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 6, "Once More With Feeling." Outstanding musical episode with great songs, mostly good-to-great performances, and it actually affects the larger plot of the season, so there's a good reason for it to be happening.

Yeah that one was pretty good. They even had the good sense to only give Alyson Hannigan like 3 lines in the entire episode since she cant sing for poo poo

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm gonna be unpopular and say there were too many musical episodes in The Magicians. I'll give a series one freebie but after that rein it in. I get actors wanting a chance to show off other talents but I don't want some contrived plot in order to justify the cast singing when groups of people don't generally go around busting out in song.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

god one of my professors in first year university made us watch this entire thing

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Daria was the only good one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I was so disappointed by the Supergirl/Flash musical episode because it was a lot of awful, random, already-existing songs shoehorned in for no real reason, and the only halfway-decent original song was written by Rachel Bloom. So many of the actors on those CW/DC shows have musical theater backgrounds, it could have been a lot better and more ambitious than it was.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was never good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

How do you feel about musical episodes in musical shows? Or non-musical episodes in musical shows? This might help determine the root of your problem.

I was one of the few people who enjoyed Galavant, so I'm fine with those.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

People didn't like Galavant? I thought it was the right amount of cheese for music and lyrics by Alan Menken

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm just assuming due to the fact that it got cancelled after only two seasons and no one ever talks about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5vKwcz820s

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the best musical sequence in a non musical is the Austin Powers schlong-innuendo dance number

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

I'm just assuming due to the fact that it got cancelled after only two seasons and no one ever talks about it.
It got a second season though!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

banned from Starbucks posted:

do they? The last one I saw was when That 70s show did one and it was so painfully clear that they all had absolute poo poo voices

I thought it was kinda charming that they made no attempt to fix up their voices for that one. It's still not great but it's at least charming

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrxFbhy5RI

Now try and get this out of your brain.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't like BUFFY generally, but they at least had the right approach to their musical episode. Essentially the music serves a function (As it does in you know...musicals) rather than the usual route of oh isn't it wacky that these characters you knew are now singing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Counterpoint: American Dad

and Bobs Burgers as someone else mentioned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like the songs in BB but man the VAs are not good singers

Conversely, Seth and especially Grimes can both loving belt out tunes and Wendy Schaal isn't bad either

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lexx's best episode was its musical episode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No one under 50 remembers what Lexx is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

That's partly because no one watched that show sober.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
I think Comedies - generally the better of the bunch like Always Sunny are about the only things that can get away with musical episodes, and that's only because in all the other things, the show itself becomes second to the musical. It's like a meta thing, scriptwriters showing off to eachother or whatever. But in shows like IASIP's case, they have dudes like Charlie Day who has actual musical talent

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lexx's best episode was its musical episode.

Any episode that has Rutger Hauer singing about the joys of cannibalism is a good episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Any episode that has Rutger Hauer singing about the joys of cannibalism is a good episode.

That was channel zero

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Community's Glee club episode was funny.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
We went to the moon in 1969

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best episode of Clone High was the musical episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7jOO4VeH9k
It seems at some point in the past few years MTV got mad all of Clone High was on YT< so it's only here cropped and sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1zG4Q8rEY

Edit: And it's coming back:
https://news.avclub.com/mtv-is-making-new-episodes-of-clone-high-with-original-1844247060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mantis42 posted:

Now I'm reminded of Zev squeezing a pair of testicles and getting a not-golden-shower.