Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that woman has a baby with her.

Handy demographic guide to Pittsburgh for you

That southeastern river there is the Monongahela. That's where most of the steel mills were in the past, and where the operating ones still are.

There are two kinds of people in that area:

black people who moved there for work and want to be left alone, and angry white people who are mad their jobs went away, who want to make everyone else miserable and won't stop until they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

This is the real life equivalent of every movie where the protagonists narrowly averted catastrophy by locking the monster in the basement and some dumb rear end lets it out not twenty minutes later because they ignore the 20 warning signs and barricades left around in their self serving quest for mars bars or somev equally pedantic bullshit

Apr 7, 2003

I've never heard of Put-in-Bay until now. What a stupid loving name.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

was indiana jones's pilot named "jacques" or "jock"?

he had a cool plane

ihad this exact thought less than 48 hours ago when the closed captioning said jock but it did sound to me like jaques. :tinfoil:

Apr 7, 2003

Indiana Jones isn't real. His pilot has whatever name you care to give him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol owned

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

put it in bae is better imo

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

put it in bae is better imo

There's a song Jon Crosby has probably already written about this, that I can sit on my knees forever waiting for, because he's retired from music but we need him oh so much.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah and thats from two weeks ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

its the myrtle beach of ohio but worse because it's its own secluded island that you can only get to via packed-sardines ferry

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

its the myrtle beach of ohio but worse because it's its own secluded island that you can only get to via packed-sardines ferry

packed ferries sound like a great way to get sick.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

packed ferries sound like a great way to get sick.

once you're off the packed ferry you to get to go to one of two dozen swim-up pool bars with 1000 people meant for a 200 person space

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

once you're off the packed ferry you to get to go to one of two dozen swim-up pool bars with 1000 people meant for a 200 person space

I have lived next door to Ohio for 39 years now and I've never heard of Put-in-bay and I'm howling at the thought that it's important enough for NFL players to come crash their cars there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

man ohio is like the world capital of midwestern carny germ-fests. put-in bay, kalahari, cedar point...

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

man ohio is like the world capital of midwestern carny germ-fests. put-in bay, kalahari, cedar point...

Cleveland, by itself, has a larger economy than Idaho or Alaska.

CNN loves doing chud safari stories in Idaho, Alaska, or the like to talk to angry white men about how angry they are that white people aren't getting their due.

Cleveland gets poo poo on as a failed city despite the fact that Cuyahoga County is an $86b/year economic engine.

I'm really loving tired of the media giving unlimited airtime to some dickshit horseshoe factory in the middle of nowhere and letting the locals there spout racism all day when places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, et al are the real drivers of the economy and no one gives a poo poo what we think.

Columbus gets all the press in Ohio when their economy is like 2/3rds what Cleveland produces. Turns out Columbus is whiter.

It's dumb as poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CNN loves doing chud safari stories in Idaho, Alaska, or the like to talk to angry white men about how angry they are that white people aren't getting their due.

Cleveland gets poo poo on as a failed city despite the fact that Cuyahoga County is an $86b/year economic engine.

I'm really loving tired of the media giving unlimited airtime to some dickshit horseshoe factory in the middle of nowhere and letting the locals there spout racism all day when places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, et al are the real drivers of the economy and no one gives a poo poo what we think.

Columbus gets all the press in Ohio when their economy is like 2/3rds what Cleveland produces. Turns out Columbus is whiter.

It's dumb as poo poo.

columbus is also where ohio state is at

also, i wonder how many times the tv has explained to me what a "confluence" is and which three rivers are involved in it. quite a few

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

President Beep posted:

yeah now it’s lewis code

:golfclap:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

that woman has a baby with her.

uh wow sagebrush the first amendment doesn't wait for things like child care

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

I have lived next door to Ohio for 39 years now and I've never heard of Put-in-bay and I'm howling at the thought that it's important enough for NFL players to come crash their cars there.

there are no cars there, only rentable golf carts

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ive been to pelee island and i remember it being very cute. looks like a shithole now though

e: maybe it was kelley's island idk

graph fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 2, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

sandusky will be made to pay for their crimes one day

cleveland made the mistake of not absorbing everything in cuyahoga county back in the day and now the suburb domimated state gov will do everything in their power to defend their fiefdoms

columbus is allowed to grow like a huge boring ameoba

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cincinnati is the best city in Ohio because the mountains rule

I don’t think I’ve been to Cleveland

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

at least most of the time

"hey uh I think we made this thing too big and heavy"

"nah it'll be fine just keep adding engines until it flies"

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

haveblue posted:

"hey uh I think we made this thing too big and heavy"

"nah it'll be fine just keep adding engines until it flies"

Spruce Goose my caboose

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have a lot if family in the shaker heights area of Cleveland and asking them who is watching their cornfields when they’re gone is my favorite thing to do when I see them.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

even before the pandemic, downtown cleveland looked like a ghost town on any random weekday afternoon

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The_Franz posted:

even before the pandemic, downtown cleveland looked like a ghost town on any random weekday afternoon

no? after 6pm, sure

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my cousin got married in columbus and my wife and i knocked it but it was p. nice tbh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

went to columbus for work and it felt like a suburban snoozefest to me

but all i saw was the area from the airport to the polaris area which is pretty out there

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Cincinnati is the best city in Ohio because the mountains rule

Cincinnati is more similar to Pittsburgh than either city would like to admit

carry on then posted:

That’s really all it is, a bunch of subdivisions separated by freeways.

Remember those old Sierra games where you had maps of individual locations that you clicked to move between? That’s Columbus, everything in between is an empty wasteland.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The_Franz posted:

yeah cleveland was block after block of boarded up storefronts and urban blight last time i was there.

i guess it is understandable that this would look like a thriving economic boomtown to someone from pittsburgh.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, going cross country through the middle if ohio is one of the most boring things I’ve ever experienced.

Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah cleveland was block after block of boarded up storefronts and urban blight last time i was there.

i guess it is understandable that this would look like a thriving economic boomtown to someone from pittsburgh.

I’m looking at county-level economic data from the BEA, Cuyahoga County’s gross product is ~$86b a year which is significantly higher than the states I mentioned and $30b more than Columbus.

Cuyahoga County is a larger economic engine than Travis County.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

yeah, going cross country through the middle if ohio is one of the most boring things I’ve ever experienced.

when I was a teenager my family drove from NYC to Cleveland and it was the least interesting thing I’ve ever experienced

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

on that same trip, in the mid-90’s, while visiting family in Cleveland I was accused of “false flagging” and some guys tried to grab me

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I ran like a little girl

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was later told that I was lucky I wasn’t shot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that’s my Cleveland story, thanks for listening

I still have family in Cleveland, they are very child-like

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

carry on then posted:

but all i saw was the area from the airport to the polaris area which is pretty out there

yeah thats bogstandard suburban whiteflight zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

yeah thats bogstandard suburban whiteflight zone

Ah, like Phoenix or Austin