Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

4140, Though Ive wanted to do it as low as possible so the rest of the game isnt a faceroll.

E: And As I moan And Complain

I am Freed.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Way to go! I'm currently banging my head against that wall...

Actually, gently caress it. :toxx: $10 for everyone who quadzerks sandworm (up to $50)

(including Poque :))

Is this still up?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Run #7 (Triple Crown #4) done, after I took a week and a half break mostly playing roguelikes and poo poo.

Red Mage/Summoner/Beastmaster/Samurai

Red Mage is bad, y'all. Seriously.

Jobs remaining: White Mage, Time Mage, Geomancer, Dancer.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
If something has 128 M-Evade, is it totally unhittable or 1/128 hittable?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Princey posted:

If something has 128 M-Evade, is it totally unhittable or 1/128 hittable?

Should be totally unhittable unless the spell is A% to hit.

What has 128% M-Evade?

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Man with Hat posted:

Should be totally unhittable unless the spell is A% to hit.

What has 128% M-Evade?

Nothing, I was looking at a bad source that listed Shinryu's M-Evade at 128; other sources say 95 which makes more sense. I wouldn't have thought to double-check if you hadn't asked, though, so thanks!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shinryu has 128 "magic power" which is a vaguely meaningless stat.

Get data straight from the algorithms guide (though it's in SNES naming convention).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So with Bards approaching endgame - am I better off singing the straight stat songs or the +level song?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You shouldn't really need any of the stat songs except for Omega and NED. For Omega, focus on Speed and maybe level if you don't have good damage options. For NED, do all of them, Speed first, then Level (skip Magic or Strength if your team doesn't care about that stat).

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Speed then level then stats. Stats and level are used in the same calculation at the same weight for damage, but level usually affects hit percentages, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So with Bards approaching endgame - am I better off singing the straight stat songs or the +level song?

The only fights where it's probably needed is NED, where you can sing everyone up to maximum everything on Treedeath before moving on to NED. All your boosts will transfer over. Swift Song on Omega with one person while the rest Calm it, until you have enough speed that only two people need to Calm while the 4th goes on the attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

And speed makes every other following song that much faster, because they increment whenever the singer would otherwise normally get a turn. Faster turns = faster songs = faster SSJ3 powering up sequence.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm rolling Knight / Mime / Bard / Black, so effectively I have 2 black mages, one of whom is super burly due to being level max knight mime :v:. Omega is getting Romeo's ballad-ed to death. Shinryu is getting berserk / coverguarded, so essentially I'd basically just be statting up for NED.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Speed is important for NED so that if you screw up and leave one part alive you have a good chance of not eating meteors.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Then yeah, do it during tree phase and run two singers (NOT three - TED's physical attacks don't break singing so you need two spares just in case), and run both on speed song until 99 agi, then both on level, then split 1/1 magic/strength.

Neo Exdeath should not get a single action once you do.

E: This image from Sullla's Bard SSCC illustrates what 99 Agility looks like on your ATB (and haste makes it even better):

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

JibberJabberwocky posted:

2) :toxx: challenge I will donate $20 to a maximum of $600 for proof of your geomancer hitting Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Show me your geomancer with it equipped and a pic of the attack and we're golden.

This bell sucks.

Like, no poo poo, actually my first time ever getting that thing outside of a 100% all-weapons run where I never used it. But what else is this team gonna use? I got the rear end dagger, the rune axe and...welp!

e: Run #8 done, I thought about doing superbosses then decided I didn't feel like dragging it out.

Geo/Blue/Dancer/Zerky! Pretty wonky but it was fun the whole way. Geomancer is pretty bad for most of the game but it's actually a VERY good starting job if you're using the fiesta mod.

Jobs remaining: White Mage, Time Mage. Might have to just fair for both of them, depending on what kind of mood Gilgabot is in.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 1, 2020

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

nrook posted:

And in celebration of my first win:

:toxx:

Oh no!

Namek is exploding in 10 hours!

That's right. If you don't collect the seven Dragon Balls and summon Shenron, the planet is doomed.

I'll be donating $10 for each run that defeats Shinryu within 10 hours. In other words, you need to have the Dragon Seal in your inventory before the 10 hour mark passes. Please provide a screenshot of the in-game clock as well as one of the Dragon Seal (or a Shinryu death shot). I'll donate for up to 20 runs here. Of course, it only counts if you started the run after I made this post.

Plus, I'll donate an additional $50 for the first two players who manage to beat Shinryu within 8 hours.

In addition to the Fiesta, I'll also be donating the same amount to the Institute for Community Living, a charity that helps out people in New York City who are homeless. It's a two-for-one deal!

God this was stressful, but I did it!

Bard/Geomancer/Blue Mage/Black Mage

Trip report:

I got incredibly lucky for a Shinryu kill with Bard/Blue/Black; Geo is bad but it was servicable in the early-mid game and they could hold an air knife and spam Aerogas later, so hey. Unfortunately I didn't reveal Blue until right after beating the Karnak escape so I had to wait for Death Claw, and I didn't have Black to help me kill things until the end of World 1. Soulcannon was tough since it's immune to wind, but then I remembered I could just break rods lol. I dicked around too much in the first world - I headed to Galuf's world at the 4-hour mark.

World 2 was pretty easy because Bards are semi-broken and Blue Mages are, of course, very broken. I did a lot of resetting in Barrier Tower because I wanted to get Flash for my Shinryu-blinding strategy (more on that later). Over the course of this I got lucky and a Reflect Ring dropped, and then I got even luckier and a second one dropped when I made my final push to the top of the tower.

I struggled a lot with the Crystals fight and had to reattempt it a bunch. Ultimately I figured out that by doing one unboosted Firaga on a (non-fire) crystal and then one rod-boosted Firaga would get it down to just over the HP cutoff for spamming spells, and then if I saved up everybody's turns and attacked all at once I could clear the last 3000 HP before the crystal could move again. While my Black Mage was setting that up the other three spammed Death Claw at the fire crystal until it stuck and then poked it to kill it off. Ultimately I killed the water and earth crystals with Firagas and the fire and wind crystals with Death Claw + stabbing.

Everything else was relatively smooth sailing, so I hit World 3 at I think the 6:15 mark. If I'd rationed my time better before this part would've been less stressful, but hindsight is 20/20. I ran from everything in the pyramid and didn't open any chests or take any unnecessary detours. Then I flew through the Island Shrine because I needed the Wonder Wand from Fork Tower to berserk Shinryu to have any hope of surviving. Went to the Phantom Village to pick up the single set of Hermes Sandals I could afford, made a backup save here. Then I went to Fork Tower, grabbed the Wonder Wand, and retreated back down the tower only to be forcibly reminded that no, you have to actually beat the bosses to get back out. By coincidence through many resets I found a step pattern that let me get up to the boss with only two easy fights on the magic side and zero fights on the physical side. Minotaur was tough and I pretty much had to brute force him with Gaia and Hi Potions and hoping the Elven Mantle dodge procced enough. Any team can beat Minotaur, true, but I was low on money, equipment, experience, and time. Omniscient, on the other hand, was a total cakewalk.

I ran over to Crescent to grab the final bard songs, sell every random piece of equipment or useless-to-me Chemist item, and buy some consumables. Then, inefficiently, I ran back to the Phantom Village to upgrade my equipment, used the Quicksave trick to hunt down a Stingray for Mighty Guard, and zoomed into the Rift. Won't go into too much detail here; none of the required bosses were a problem thanks to blue magic and reflect rings. Ultimately, I got to Shinryu at about the 7:48 mark.

It was at this point it began to dawn on me that my "blind Shinryu with Flash" plan was not going to work. My party was level 25. I did the math and figured out I had about a 0.1% chance to get Flash to stick. So I decided to try to just deal with the attacks and see what happened. I was clearly making headway, but Shinryu effortlessly oneshot my party members and I only had 7 Phoenix Downs left. I tried everything I could think of (using Hero's Rime to make Flash more accurate, stacking all my evasion equipment on the party and praying, removing all my equipment other than weapons, shield on the Blue Mage. relics, and the gold hairpin since if Shinryu was one-shotting anyway might as well not be weighed down). I couldn't do it.

So I reloaded that backup save from earlier. I didn't buy the equipment upgrades this time, only a crystal shield for the Blue Mage for the Shinryu fight since it has a better evade percent than Aegis and Shinryu wouldn't be casting. Redid Fork Tower, went to buy my consumables, and this time poured all the money I had spent on equipment the last time into about 50 Phoenix Downs. As I went through the Rift again, I used the Quicksave trick to avoid almost all random encounters (pushed my luck a couple times), and I did my best to avoid using Phoenix Downs, instead reviving people at save points with Tents. Made sure to grab the Hermes Sandals from the castle part again.

Made it back to Shinryu at about the 7:45 mark this time. Loadout was similar to before, with two people with Hermes Sandals and two with Elven Mantles. It took a while, but I was able to slug it out with him and keep on top of reviving people while getting in steady damage.

All in all, a fun challenge!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Princey posted:

8hr Shin kill

:popeye:

Way to go!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I'll wait to donate to the ICL until the Fiesta's over, so I can send it in all at once.

Impressive, Namek is saved! I'm glad you had fun with it.

nrook fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 2, 2020

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Fenrir posted:

This bell sucks.

Speaking of bells, I've been working on an assembly mod (for the snes version) that people might be interested in. It tweaks the damage formulas to make some of the weaker and/or useless weapon types like bells and harps more interesting. I'll post it in here when it's finished.

What I've got so far (mostly complete):
Bells have a higher top end on the damage range and ignore some mdef.
Harps do a regular attack instead of a weak gravity attack and use the new bell formula.
Brave Blade scales with str/sta (though not to the extent of the Chicken Knife).
Knife formula weapons agi bug fixed but reduced str/agi scaling so power level is similar, they just favor agi classes vs str ones somewhat.
Spears work with double handed.
Spellblade works with katana, spear, axe, rune weapons.
Upgraded Drain Blade accuracy to 66% from 25% so it's somewhat usable without a Freelancer/Mime combo.
Also fixed Power Drinks, mostly because the fix in the algo guide doesn't work with my other changes.

I'd like to also fix Sword Slap to do something, but haven't figured out a good way to do that yet. It looks to be not just bugged but entirely unimplemented.

Any other suggestions for tweaks to make? No guarantees, of course.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Run 2 complete:

I Comp was knight/mim/bard/blm

I really really liked this team composition. Good mix of beefcake and blasting with the bard to clown on most trash fights (and ned). Knights used 2 handed for 95% of the run, even after BLM took off because I never really felt so vulnerable that I needed the extra defense.

For Omega I gave everyone sing. The black mage got reflect ring and everyone else hermes sandals and I just chain stopped him while the black mage (and later mime once speed song got really going) just bounced boosted thundagas off the reflect.

Shinryu was power rod + guard/cover. The hardest part was getting into the fight with everyone critical health. Once that was going it was easy enough to stomp a mudhole in him with boosted spells.

NED was well... ned with !sing is profoundly silly. I gave everyone !black this go around so I only needed to boost one stat. Boost everyone to 99 magic 99 speed 99 level in tree form and by the time you get to NED you just target all on the aga spells and laugh because rod boosts on blm/mim to 5k+, KNI/BRD were doing 3k, and NED never got to act once.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
BST sucks on mobile. The wing breath or w/e attack has a very high miss rate. I can't use it against the last boss. I'm SAM/KGT/BST/BER so I think my best bet is throwing money at him, but I'm lv 39 or something which doesn't seem high enough to survive. The enkibot trick to catch crystelles for mighty guard doesn't work either (dancing dagger does 8 damage and kills it).

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ultrachrist posted:

BST sucks on mobile. The wing breath or w/e attack has a very high miss rate. I can't use it against the last boss. I'm SAM/KGT/BST/BER so I think my best bet is throwing money at him, but I'm lv 39 or something which doesn't seem high enough to survive. The enkibot trick to catch crystelles for mighty guard doesn't work either (dancing dagger does 8 damage and kills it).

Knight can still excalipoor the crystelle for exactly one damage a swing, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ultrachrist posted:

Run back to the caves portion and capture 4 grand dragons. They do 9999 per portion, Not enough to kill NED outright, but enough to get drat close

Edit I'm a dumb, grand dragon is single target

Edit 2: https://i.imgur.com/jdcTSzO.png

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

mobile sucks

Fixed that for you. :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
New Chaos Run, so far NIN / GEO

Geo isn't a half bad option to go full weeb and throw anime nonstop. Depending on what I pull for Fire and Earth I think this might be the run to Job Fair in Berserker. We'll see what the back half of W1 hold for me.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Can't wait to catch a Mammon in Moore and hold on to it all the way to Rugwizard, and also pick the Brave Blade I guess. I'm only like half kidding too, the novelty of it will be kind of interesting. Also Adamantoise's poison vulnerability being actually relevant was fun.

DeathSandwich posted:

New Chaos Run, so far NIN / GEO

Geo isn't a half bad option to go full weeb and throw anime nonstop. Depending on what I pull for Fire and Earth I think this might be the run to Job Fair in Berserker. We'll see what the back half of W1 hold for me.

One day I will get this combo and fulfill my dream, but until then I will continue to live vicariously through others.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Knight can still excalipoor the crystelle for exactly one damage a swing, right?

I tried this and yes excalipoor works... but even with hypno crown, after doing 2 damage “the enemy is too strong” and 3 damage kills it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

I tried this and yes excalipoor works... but even with hypno crown, after doing 2 damage “the enemy is too strong” and 3 damage kills it.

Hypno crown helps with control, kornago gourd helps with catch.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Hypno crown helps with control, kornago gourd helps with catch.

Well, poo poo. Thanks. I'll leave the dungeon and pick that up and grind a few levels on the way.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I totally missed the start this year and now my brain is refusing to get into FJF mode. Is there a decent tactic I'm blanking on for Omega with the setup of Monk/Beastmaster/Chemist/Oracle?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Darwinism posted:

I totally missed the start this year and now my brain is refusing to get into FJF mode. Is there a decent tactic I'm blanking on for Omega with the setup of Monk/Beastmaster/Chemist/Oracle?

Beastmaster !Calm (on GBA), Chemist !Mix both allow full domination of Omega.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Rolled the other classes for my next chaos run, Nin / Geo / DNC / SAM. All the dual wielding all the time from this comp.

Figuring on Geo getting !throw, Ninja getting Equip Ribbon, Sam/dancer getting dual wield and I just auto-attack my way to victory.

I don't really have a Omega or Shinryu game plan with this comp though aside from massive overleveling.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Beastmaster !Calm (on GBA), Chemist !Mix both allow full domination of Omega.

God, thank you, !Calm is what I was blanking on. !Mix for that fight is.... a chore.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Keep in mind that !calm doesn't last terribly long - in order to make it work you basically need 3 hermes boots people spamming it nonstop to keep him locked down. The 4th will need to be someone who can do damage somehow (coral sword/trident/thundaga spellblade/thousand needles/Axes ect). If you're relying on Thundaga keep in mind you'll need at least one person with reflect up to bounce spells off of. I believe I remember someone said if he's stopped he can't dodge you, so it shouldn't be as obnoxious if you're relying on like a zerker to put him down.

With Monk/bst/chm/oracle, if you're not wanting to scum him with !mix your best bet is bst/chm/oracle spamming stop and the monk fishing for crits with his slaps.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

With Monk/bst/chm/oracle, if you're not wanting to scum him with !mix your best bet is bst/chm/oracle spamming stop and the monk fishing for crits with his slaps.

I mean, using !mix to make yourself invincible may be complicated, but using it to tank Omega's defenses so you can just damage him with whatever is dead simple. Comedy option: feed Omega a Dragon's Kiss and go to town with the Dragon Whisker.

DeathSandwich posted:

Rolled the other classes for my next chaos run, Nin / Geo / DNC / SAM. All the dual wielding all the time from this comp.

Figuring on Geo getting !throw, Ninja getting Equip Ribbon, Sam/dancer getting dual wield and I just auto-attack my way to victory.

I don't really have a Omega or Shinryu game plan with this comp though aside from massive overleveling.

Okay, so like, it won't be easy by any means, but you've got a solid chance here. Casting haste from the masamune will be key for both fights, since it means you can leave the sandals at home and go for elemental protection instead.

For Omega, you've got two options for counter free damage. First, give your geo and dancer dual wield. Then equip them with rune chime/a different bell and chicken knife/a different knife. A full power chicken dance and the rune chime are both just barely strong enough to break through Omega's defenses, and the 0 damage from the second attack will trick Omega's counter script into not triggering. Past that, it's business as usual for fighting Omega legit: get float off an eagle in the first room of the area, flame rings for free healing from atomic rays/flamethrower, know when the wave cannons are coming, and lots of item chucking.

For Shinryu, coral ring/bone mail/ice shield lets your Samurai no sell most of his repertoire. Add in a diamond helm to counteract the coral ring's lightning weakness and sub !image to block physicals, and you're surprisingly safe. You could also opt for aegis shield instead if you're more worried about petrify than snowstorm, or get the best of both worlds if you're on the ball with your hotswapping. Everyone else is going to die a lot; pick them up when you can, but don't get caught in an endless loop where you're not doing any damage. Oh, and don't go in vulnerable to level 2 old/level 3 flare, obviously.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Kornago Gourd and crystelle capture did the trick:

First fiesta done! I'm not sure if I ever beat FF5 before either. Honestly, 90% of it was very easy because my team does massive auto attack damage and I usually just left it on auto. So zerker wasn't much of a disadvantage. I thought I was gonna have to employ more game mechanic tricks.

I will probably participate again next year. Mobile is way more convenient than PC for when I want to be playing this, but I'd like also really like the mods that unlock all classes (and presumably fast forward?). Also, good art direction would be nice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

Comedy option: feed Omega a Dragon's Kiss and go to town with the Dragon Whisker.

That also lets you bypass his astronomical defenses.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Watching these screenshots makes me super mad I apparently can't change menu window colors on the steam version. It's a different world, dangit, it needs a new color! Then I merge the two world's colors together for the mergeworld and it's freaking emotionally symbolic why can't I have this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a thing! I got money, so let's use some of it for something good.

Over the next... let's say couple weeks, it'll be a bit before I can get my check in, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will now count on Carbybot, using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. I will do this up to, let's say, $30. I will also add $1 for every picture posted of a player hitting NED with a Fat Chocobo. (Only one per run, obviously.) That max will be $20.

I am also putting a $10 bounty of video proof of someone killing NED with a Fat Chocobo. This one's been claimed!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I have a thing! I got money, so let's use some of it for something good.

Over the next... let's say couple weeks, it'll be a bit before I can get my check in, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will now count on Carbybot, using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. I will do this up to, let's say, $30. I will also add $1 for every picture posted of a player hitting NED with a Fat Chocobo. (Only one per run, obviously.) That max will be $20.

I am also putting a $10 bounty of video proof of someone killing NED with a Fat Chocobo.

We just hit the second world, did we miss it or can it be bought in merge world?