Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m looking at county-level economic data from the BEA, Cuyahoga County’s gross product is ~$86b a year which is significantly higher than the states I mentioned and $30b more than Columbus.

Cuyahoga County is a larger economic engine than Travis County.

not a fair comparison because other places can’t export energy gained by setting their rivers on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

not a fair comparison because other places can’t export energy gained by setting their rivers on fire.

Austin is economically worse off than Cleveland. Lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
polaris is a giant ""upscale"" mall surrounded by $400,000 mcmansions. its awful

e: satellite link https://goo.gl/maps/qG9o9A2s3bGq2ssU8

graph fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 2, 2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

per capita income in austin is higher than cleveland, and both are ~20% higher than pittsburgh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

if you would rather live somewhere where the jobs pay less then that’s your choice, i guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cle's combined nonprofit endowments i think are over 10 billion which puts it second in the country behind nyc

folks forget just how much money there is in cities that built the rest of the country

Apr 7, 2003

Check per capita for Allegheny County. Pittsburgh is surrounded by a lot of post-industrial poverty.

Get on the Great Allegheny Passage at the point and ride southeast. It gets dire quick.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

folks forget just how much money there is in cities that built the rest of the country
cities like cleveland and detroit and pittsburgh often have really impressive art museums

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

cities like cleveland and detroit and pittsburgh often have really impressive art museums

Check out the art and glass museums in Toledo. Libbey glass money built them and they’re impressive for a small town.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

cle's art museum is loving insanity and free forever except for the ultra exclusive poo poo like kusama which is 10 bucks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the cleveland museum of art does have that amazing painting of a 19th century dude in the extremely future-punk train spectacles. that is probably the coolest thing i have seen on my trips to Cleveland.

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1991.134.2

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the cleveland museum of art does have that amazing painting of a 19th century dude in the extremely future-punk train spectacles. that is probably the coolest thing i have seen on my trips to Cleveland.

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1991.134.2

that would be a good av

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

polaris is a giant ""upscale"" mall surrounded by $400,000 mcmansions. its awful

thanks i hate it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

thanks i hate it
an olive garden and a cheesecake factory!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
michigan still keeping it real

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/02/michigan-woman-gun-video/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

that was the closest chipotle to my house when I lived in Pontiac, and the Great Lakes Crossing area in general is extremely tense because it’s the nearest shopping areas for Pontiac (majority black) and the far northern suburbs like Clarkston and Orion and Lapeer (chudzones)

I am completely unsurprised

Apr 7, 2003

It’s odd that people who wander around armed all the time use any excuse imaginable to escalate a situation. Weird.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

this area is drat near identical to a denver suburb i went to on business years ago

american suburban sprawl is goddamn cancer

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wrote a toy kafka app for the first time for testing autoscaling kubernetes pods based on consumer group lag with keda in the last two days.

god I hate software

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

this area is drat near identical to a denver suburb i went to on business years ago

american suburban sprawl is goddamn cancer

every time I visit the lower 48 I am constantly surprised and depressed at all the little townships that have glommed together into one unending mass of suburbia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

this looks almost exactly like suburban atlanta:

I was curious how monstrous these developments are, these are all at roughly the same scale

it's weird how much stuff you can fit in places if you leave out the freeways and parking lots

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

leaving out green space too

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The Fool posted:

we regularly have articles about how they want to put in a new store or add a curb cut, but there's one tree they'd have to get rid of and so there's all this negotiation about that one tree. a satellite photo of my city looks more like a forest

e: also the costco here didn't sell gas for a literal decade due to environmental and traffic concerns. it finally opened a few months ago with limited hours

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2020

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my job just sent an email for employees to please stop hanging out together even if your state reopens because too many people are infecting each other and it's impacting business, which is a good email I guess.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the absolute worst part of denver is Stapleton (soon to be renamed because its namesake was a loving klan dude)

it's on the property formerly occupied by the old airport. And yes that means no tree is taller than fifteen feet and the only skyline you get is the old ATC tower, which they left in place

it's just dozens and dozens of blocks of this poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the absolute worst part of denver is Stapleton (soon to be renamed because its namesake was a loving klan dude)

it's on the property formerly occupied by the old airport. And yes that means no tree is taller than fifteen feet and the only skyline you get is the old ATC tower, which they left in place

it's just dozens and dozens of blocks of this poo poo

Big fan of the unprotected bike lane that guarantees you get doored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 2, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's a 'we want a grant from some big fund because we have X miles per 1000 houses of bicycle lanes' setup, absolutely

they're not intended to actually be _used_

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just can't get over seven parking lots for a single mall, each larger than saint peter's square

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 2, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

I just can't get over seven parking lots for a single mall each, larger than saint peter's square

Boomers loving lose their mind if someone tells them they should pay for parking.

I was at Station Square last weekend because the Great Allegheny Passage starts there. It’s an early eighties development with all that entails, including massive portions of riverfront property being wasted on parking lots.

A car full of grandmas pulled up behind us while we were putting our bikes on the rack and started shrieking because they were at “the restaurant” and got their ticket validated but the gate wouldn’t open and kept asking for money. IIRC you still gotta pay to use the lots there if the ticket is validated, it’s just cheaper.

After I told them it wasn’t my gate and I had no idea, they pulled up to the gate and sat there for ten loving minutes , I guess assuming that they could Karen the gate into opening for free.

Car culture destroys the brain

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I lived in a new neighbourhood in a small town that had no trees like this, but also everything was covered in mud and was full of empty lots because it was still being developed while working from home and it destroyed me. It was so miserable I stopped going for walks and just stay inside instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i’m not averse to pay parking and toll roads per se, but i abhor getting stuck behind people like the car you just described. transponder or alpr paid parking would be ideal if not for their awful track records on privacy issues. parking meters i’m surprisingly okay with.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

seven of these

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

qirex posted:

seven of these

and i don't see any cars or shopping anywhere so what's the point!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I just can't get over seven parking lots for a single mall, each larger than saint peter's square
mall parking lots are built so they reach 100% capacity on the busiest day of the year (usually the weekend before christmas)

they are meant to be 20%-90% empty for 363 out of 365 days of the year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

and i don't see any cars or shopping anywhere so what's the point!

there’s a nice church with a fancy ceiling :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

this looks almost exactly like suburban atlanta:

I was curious how monstrous these developments are, these are all at roughly the same scale

it's weird how much stuff you can fit in places if you leave out the freeways and parking lots

that complex in the lower left of the Columbus shot is jpmc, who as far as i can tell is the only reason any of the rest of that stuff is there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the fayetteville mall had such overbuilt parking that they ended up putting a "concert venue" in 1/4 of it

welcome to "the fayetteville AMP"

big musk energy

(they later moved it to Bentonville because walmart bought it and has huge envy over the fact that Fayetteville has at least a semblance of culture. Nobody goes there any more)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

um excuse me there is a strip of grass between the road and the parking lot next to the olive garden. and i count thirteen scummy ponds

Apr 7, 2003

Running to Costco to get more poo poo tickets, because this state is going to be a diseased hellscape in a week.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

um excuse me there is a strip of grass between the road and the parking lot next to the olive garden. and i count thirteen scummy ponds

~*wetland mitigation*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

seven of these

where's the loving wetzels, this place sucks