Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, this is fun because there can be multiple options. let's start with plans:

8GB: $70 for 8GB, probably $58 after discount.

$20 a line, $20 * 3 = $60. + $58 = $118 . assuming your kid doesn't crush your data plan.

Unlimited: with autopay with checking account. $10 more a month per line
Start: $45 * 3 = $135
Play: $55 * 3 = $165

these are mix and match, so 2 can have play, one start, etc.

if you are military, first responder, nurse or teacher, you can get $20 off (account, not per line)

i need more info, what phones are you two wanting ?

Probably an iPhone 11 for the wife (dont think she needs a pro) and a high end Android on my end (probably a step or 2 under the top end. While I like my Galaxy, I'm not tied to it.) I'm still a few weeks out from pulling the trigger, so haven't researched a lot yet. I'm much more techie and will care about the numbers. Camera is probably my top requirement.
And to make things even more complicated, my wife wants an Apple watch (sucks when birthday and anniversary are so close together!)
Thank you so much for the advice, even if its options a-q!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an unwritten service promo regarding the cellular Apple Watch? I bought it on sale on Amazon end of April. My first bill since then, all I've been charged for is the taxes on the line. Not complaining about free service and no activation fee, but wondering how long the free service is gonna last.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there an unwritten service promo regarding the cellular Apple Watch? I bought it on sale on Amazon end of April. My first bill since then, all I've been charged for is the taxes on the line. Not complaining about free service and no activation fee, but wondering how long the free service is gonna last.

First month of a watch line is free, $10 a month after that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got a moto g power from Google fi, took out the sim card from my old phone and put in my Verizon sim. Factory reset, added it to my account on the website by typing in the IMEI. Didn't seem to make the change permanently but wasn't sure if the site was just slow
Still can't get data but have cell service (well, texts). What's the deal

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Got a moto g power from Google fi, took out the sim card from my old phone and put in my Verizon sim. Factory reset, added it to my account on the website by typing in the IMEI. Didn't seem to make the change permanently but wasn't sure if the site was just slow
Still can't get data but have cell service (well, texts). What's the deal

You shouldn’t have to bother changing the IMEI , the SIM will auto talk to the network and provision the IMEI for you.

Device should work as far as I know. Call tier 2 tech support at (866) 892-7957 (from a different phone if you can) and they’ll troubleshoot it for you. Warning, wait times are usually bad, 10-30 mins, but just is what it is on that.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Is anyone elses mobile internet still poo poo, even in the states that arent shut down for covid still like texas and georgia?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadokin posted:

Is anyone elses mobile internet still poo poo, even in the states that arent shut down for covid still like texas and georgia?

Other than known poor coverage areas, for me no, but i have premium data. Are you on the Go/Start unlimited where it slows down on a congested tower ?

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Im on the 80gb plan, whichever that one is named. Does it before being at or above cap and after. Night time is only time I have okay speeds and can let youtube or whatever go. Day time it goes to crap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadokin posted:

Im on the 80gb plan, whichever that one is named. Does it before being at or above cap and after. Night time is only time I have okay speeds and can let youtube or whatever go. Day time it goes to crap.

Are you over the 75GB ? it should only slow down your speeds after you hit the cap (75GB for t he phone, 15GB hotspot).

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
No. Verizon app shows me at 69 gb used, 2.7 gb used on hotspot. This has been a problem since January when people started staying home out of covid fears / quarantine. Now that places have opened up lot in the areas I travel the speeds have not gotten better.

Above unlimited plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadokin posted:

No. Verizon app shows me at 69 gb used, 2.7 gb used on hotspot. This has been a problem since January when people started staying home out of covid fears / quarantine. Now that places have opened up lot in the areas I travel the speeds have not gotten better.

Above unlimited plan.

Heck if i know. best bet is to call level 2 tech, not sure if they can do anything though. 866-892-7957

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn’t have to bother changing the IMEI , the SIM will auto talk to the network and provision the IMEI for you.

Device should work as far as I know. Call tier 2 tech support at (866) 892-7957 (from a different phone if you can) and they’ll troubleshoot it for you. Warning, wait times are usually bad, 10-30 mins, but just is what it is on that.

Spent an hour with them last week , they were very helpful but unable to diagnose. Google Fi swears their phones are unlocked but I don't believe them. I'll keep banging my head against this, what a huge mistake it was to try to save $100 or so and swap carriers instead of just buying direct from verizon, gah

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Regarding 'grandfathering' discounts, I'm currently on the old 15/35/40 military discount with 3 lines on the account, which gives me $40 off each month.

If I drop 2 lines, will it go down to $15, and later on add 2 other lines (bringing it back up to 3), will it go back to the $40 off? Or is it more of, 'don't touch it, otherwise the deal is invalid' type of thing?

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Spent an hour with them last week , they were very helpful but unable to diagnose. Google Fi swears their phones are unlocked but I don't believe them. I'll keep banging my head against this, what a huge mistake it was to try to save $100 or so and swap carriers instead of just buying direct from verizon, gah

Did you change the APN settings by chance? https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/What-Is-The-Access-Point-Name-For-A-Non-Verizon-Phone/td-p/946393

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
The Verizon Wireless Megathread

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For the past couple of days my iPhone X hasn't been getting most calls but has been getting the voicemails people leave. I just tried to call someone back and the call didn't go through the first time despite having a perfect signal. Is there anything I can do on my end to help troubleshoot or does this just sound like the network is being lovely? I'm in Colorado, for reference.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My wife and I switched to Verizon after getting back in the States, and yeah yeah prices being outrageous aside, the coverage is great. However we added my father as a line to the account and his number is just getting bombarded with spam calls and texts. Is this a network thing, a state thing (FL), or something else?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fallom posted:

For the past couple of days my iPhone X hasn't been getting most calls but has been getting the voicemails people leave. I just tried to call someone back and the call didn't go through the first time despite having a perfect signal. Is there anything I can do on my end to help troubleshoot or does this just sound like the network is being lovely? I'm in Colorado, for reference.

Reset Network settings is usually first step. After that yeah you would need to contact your carrier

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Call Tech support level 2: 866-892-7957. Not sure what it is or if they can help, but that would be the best department. Call from not your phone if possible.

Springfield Fatts posted:

My wife and I switched to Verizon after getting back in the States, and yeah yeah prices being outrageous aside, the coverage is great. However we added my father as a line to the account and his number is just getting bombarded with spam calls and texts. Is this a network thing, a state thing (FL), or something else?

Download the Verizon call filter app (base usage is free) and see if that helps. Unfortunately, its likely just some spammer got his number.

Btw, you can get a bill discount if anyone is military, first responder teacher or nurse.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

This is our current plan.

Would switching to the teacher’s discount be a better deal? I know that I have asked you before about switching to the unlimited plan (and it would cost us more) but I did not know that there was a teacher discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This is our current plan.

Would switching to the teacher’s discount be a better deal? I know that I have asked you before about switching to the unlimited plan (and it would cost us more) but I did not know that there was a teacher discount.

Just need to know 2 things :

-how many lines ?
-are you ok with autopay with checking account?

Also, is that 20GB extra I see? Woah.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

2 lines.
Autopay is fine. Currently bill is $30.71 per line and $64.80 in account charges for a monthly price of $126.22.
I believe the 20 GB extra is due to Covid set up. We pay for 12 GBs and got 4 extra GBs for the rest of our time along with carry over data. Right now, it says that we have 26 GBs remaining with 1 day left.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

2 lines.
Autopay is fine. Currently bill is $30.71 per line and $64.80 in account charges for a monthly price of $126.22.
I believe the 20 GB extra is due to Covid set up. We pay for 12 GBs and got 4 extra GBs for the rest of our time along with carry over data. Right now, it says that we have 26 GBs remaining with 1 day left.

12GB:
$80 - $15 discount = $65. $20 + $20 = $105

start unlimited:

$60 + $60 (autopay required, otherwise $10 more a line), - $25 teacher discount = $95

Start unlimited you can be throttled if the tower is congested, no mobile hotspot, SD def video

play unlimited: $70 + $70 (autopay w/ checking acct required, otherwise $10 more a line), - $25 teacher discount = $115

Play: 25GB no throttle per person, 15GB hotspot, HD video, free apple music for one phone per person.

Honestly, if someone doesn't use their phones start is fine, myself personally i would go with play unlimited.

vzw.com/teachers

only sign up if switching plans, your current discount works for the 12GB plan, new teacher code is unlimited only so if you kept the 12GB plan, the new code would drop your current discount.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks for the information. Those would also give a free year of Disney+, right? Or did they end that promo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks for the information. Those would also give a free year of Disney+, right? Or did they end that promo?

Yeah, all unlimited plans get 1 year free of Disney + , that goes until at least August from what I have seen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm trying to help my family here because they're stubborn as all hell.

Mom and Sis are on iPhone 6's and the new SE is perfect for them. Both are on the same Verizon plan but they pay way too much. Both work in school (Counselors) and they could probably benefit from unlimited talk/text to Mexico.

Mom can get a cheap unlimited plan with the 480p cap. Sis might need 720p. And yeah, only two lines are needed. My mom still writes checks but the autopsy discount could probably convince her here.

Anyone got a best option here that isn't like $125 a month??

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I'm trying to help my family here because they're stubborn as all hell.

Mom and Sis are on iPhone 6's and the new SE is perfect for them. Both are on the same Verizon plan but they pay way too much. Both work in school (Counselors) and they could probably benefit from unlimited talk/text to Mexico.

Mom can get a cheap unlimited plan with the 480p cap. Sis might need 720p. And yeah, only two lines are needed. My mom still writes checks but the autopsy discount could probably convince her here.

Anyone got a best option here that isn't like $125 a month??

The unlimited plan is $120 for two people worn auto pay with checking account.

Very specific question: they work in schools, do they have a teaching certificate ? If so, they can get $20 off, so it would be $100.

They can always call retention at (800) 392-0717 , but there will either be a retention offer or there won’t be, its auto generated by account. Couldn’t hurt to ask , worst they say is no.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duckman2008 posted:

Very specific question: they work in schools, do they have a teaching certificate ? If so, they can get $20 off, so it would be $100.
Counselors, so maybe. I'll ask today.

And thanks for the retention line number, will see if that convinces them 👍

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I got laid off from work, and asked to keep my cellular number. I took over the number and later ported it out of Verizon. I had a 3yr old iPhone 8p so I’m confused about this $175 ETF charge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

strangehamster posted:

I got laid off from work, and asked to keep my cellular number. I took over the number and later ported it out of Verizon. I had a 3yr old iPhone 8p so I’m confused about this $175 ETF charge.

You did a BYOD, correct ? If you got a byod gift card, the only terms was 6 months service. Have you had Verizon 6 months ?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Duckman2008 posted:

You did a BYOD, correct ? If you got a byod gift card, the only terms was 6 months service. Have you had Verizon 6 months ?

AFAIK I had the Verizon line and that phone for 3 years or so, my coworker managed the Corp Verizon account and paid the bills. I called Vzw and assumed responsibility of the line, no bonuses or gift cards in the deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

strangehamster posted:

AFAIK I had the Verizon line and that phone for 3 years or so, my coworker managed the Corp Verizon account and paid the bills. I called Vzw and assumed responsibility of the line, no bonuses or gift cards in the deal.

Oh poo poo, if it was moved from a corporate account it could have moved a contract with it.

Company accounts have anything from 2 lines to hundreds or thousands of lines. Company accounts still do 2 year contracts and get discounted phones. Which means they’ll also trade upgrade dates all the time if a line say, breaks a phone and it still in contract. Works fine until a line wants to transfer to a different company or individual.

So you getting a ETF , is likely transferring the contract from whomever’s phone when it switched to your own name.

You can call care , confirm , and explain that you were not aware. The terms of service that you would have had to accept to take over the line would have shown the contract (or should have), so you’re kind of at their discretion as to whether they’ll credit any of it.

Alternatively , find out when the contract was slated to end, and see if they’ll reactivate the line under a new number , and if that’s cheaper to have the plan under the contract vs paying $175.

Also, sorry about the layoff, poo poo sucks right now 😔 . FYI make sure you weren’t charged any late fees in May and June, Verizon was waiving them for anyone impacted by Covid. If you had a balance at the end of June, they’re splitting it into a payment plan over 6 months as well.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

strangehamster posted:

Thanks, that’s probably it. I’ll call care and see if they’ll waive part.

I love all those international reps, working all night doing CSR. They’re going to investigate and check back later. I swear I always get a super happy lady named Rosie.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2020

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Hi,

I switched over to Verizon a few years ago, bringing over my older model iPhone SE, I am looking to get the newer SE refresh.

Plans-wise, this is what I'm currently on :

quote:

The new Verizon Plan Single Smartphone 5 GB

Everybody on your account shares a set amount of data each month.
$55.00/mo

$60.00/mo discount applied. Additional discounts may apply in your bill summary.

http://www.dynamic-pixel.com/images/test/vzw-currentplan.png

(not sure why I'm not seeing embedded images from my own website/domain, maybe a question for QCS? :smith: )

I do see the plans for pre-paid phones on the website, are these "full" phones for purposes of say, not getting bandwidth throttled when the towers are saturated? Wasn't sure if this was a potential issue or not.

Not really looking for using a lot of data per month, don't really have a current use for tethering or mobile hotspot either, what might my options be for plans, that might be a bit more economical for keeping a plan pretty close to what I have now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Hi,

I switched over to Verizon a few years ago, bringing over my older model iPhone SE, I am looking to get the newer SE refresh.

Plans-wise, this is what I'm currently on :

http://www.dynamic-pixel.com/images/test/vzw-currentplan.png

(not sure why I'm not seeing embedded images from my own website/domain, maybe a question for QCS? :smith: )

I do see the plans for pre-paid phones on the website, are these "full" phones for purposes of say, not getting bandwidth throttled when the towers are saturated? Wasn't sure if this was a potential issue or not.

Not really looking for using a lot of data per month, don't really have a current use for tethering or mobile hotspot either, what might my options be for plans, that might be a bit more economical for keeping a plan pretty close to what I have now?

Very good question. There are prepaid plans that are cheaper, but there’s a reason why. Lower priority on the network is the big one. You almost def will get slower data speeds than postpaid (what you have). Also, customer service is very minimal and not US based for prepaid.

My honest recommendation is to stay on you’re current plan, it’s the cheapest postpaid plan you’ll find.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I didn't but maybe I have to. At this point I'm insanely frustrated - I had to wait the entire month on google fi to get the $100 discount, I'm checking now to see if i can return the phone but probably can't after all this time, and my trip to the verizon store was entirely pointless. After waiting a long time they got me a new SIM card, same exact issues - no data, cdma 1x only , calls and texts don't show up for a long while after they're sent for some reason. It's not even verizon's fault I don't think, i'm just mad as heck now since it's so hard to diagnose what's up

and of course the store manager said maybe it's a gsm only phone, which it isn't and wouldn't show up as cdma in the settings anyways. argh.

so now i have: moto x4 that went corrupt in about 2 years, moto g power that mysteriously won't work on verizon but does on fi, and an ancient droid turbo from 2014 that I had replaced once already for screen issues. guess i just stuff the sim in the droid turbo until i solve this other stuff

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I didn't but maybe I have to. At this point I'm insanely frustrated - I had to wait the entire month on google fi to get the $100 discount, I'm checking now to see if i can return the phone but probably can't after all this time, and my trip to the verizon store was entirely pointless. After waiting a long time they got me a new SIM card, same exact issues - no data, cdma 1x only , calls and texts don't show up for a long while after they're sent for some reason. It's not even verizon's fault I don't think, i'm just mad as heck now since it's so hard to diagnose what's up

and of course the store manager said maybe it's a gsm only phone, which it isn't and wouldn't show up as cdma in the settings anyways. argh.

so now i have: moto x4 that went corrupt in about 2 years, moto g power that mysteriously won't work on verizon but does on fi, and an ancient droid turbo from 2014 that I had replaced once already for screen issues. guess i just stuff the sim in the droid turbo until i solve this other stuff

drat dude, had to scroll back to remember you posted about it back in mid June (every month is a year right now).

I would recommend selling the phone on Swappa , and then I guess roll the dice on something else. Sorry it didn’t work.

Speaking from personal experience , a lot of stores in general are freaked out right now, so unfortunately I wouldn’t expect a lot of trouble shooting in stores. I know I would tell you to call over the phone, although if you needed a SIM swap we would activate it for you (but not swap it, we won’t touch phones right now). Some stores will let any tech issues in, some will only let not emergency issues in.

Quite frankly, it’s not hard for care to trouble shoot stuff over the phone vs in store, so I’m fine with telling a lot of people “sorry, call care, keep both yourself and my employees safe.” It sucks, but Covid is just a tire fire.

That said, the pressure is coming from Vz to go back to normal , so I think more and more stores will function like they used to. Which would be fine if our Gov could control Covid in any sense.

And I know you aren’t suggesting what the stores should or shouldn’t do, so this is just me giving the current low down.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mastershakeman posted:

I have a Moto G4+ you can use until you sort all this out if you'd like.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I signed up in may 2019 for pre paid, on a 7 gig plan that had a 7 gig bonus that was all in for 50/month. thinking about switching to a lower data plan since i only use about 2 gigs at most during the pandemic and now the plan tiers and prices all look different and there's loyalty discounts?

is this something i'm eligible for and they just don't automatically add it to the account?

e: son of a bitch, according to reddit-

quote:

The loyalty discount is automatically applied, even if auto-pay is turned off. Existing Verizon customers who switch to these plans will immediately get the discount based on how long they have already been a Verizon customer.

so i should just switch to the 15 gig plan and the 14 months of service would make that 35/month before taxes..so i'd basically end up saving about 10 bucks for what i already have..am i incorrect? what's the best way to do this?

e2: i'm using 300mb of data a month, so i think the 5g 25/mo is even smarter..so third question then, any hassle switching the plans or weird vzw fees or anything? switching to 25/mo from 50 and then bumping up to the 15g plan again whenever things uhh aren't this..
easy to do? dumb?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

I signed up in may 2019 for pre paid, on a 7 gig plan that had a 7 gig bonus that was all in for 50/month. thinking about switching to a lower data plan since i only use about 2 gigs at most during the pandemic and now the plan tiers and prices all look different and there's loyalty discounts?

is this something i'm eligible for and they just don't automatically add it to the account?

e: son of a bitch, according to reddit-

so i should just switch to the 15 gig plan and the 14 months of service would make that 35/month before taxes..so i'd basically end up saving about 10 bucks for what i already have..am i incorrect? what's the best way to do this?

e2: i'm using 300mb of data a month, so i think the 5g 25/mo is even smarter..so third question then, any hassle switching the plans or weird vzw fees or anything? switching to 25/mo from 50 and then bumping up to the 15g plan again whenever things uhh aren't this..
easy to do? dumb?

I rarely run into prepaid plan changes , especially now, but I think you’re right on it. If you switch before your end date you may or may not have to top up early. I don’t think you would if it’s a lower plan, but I haven’t done it in forever so I’m being a bit cautious.

Honestly, I would download the Verizon app and see if you can make the plan change yourself. It would show whether it’ll charge or not.