Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It seems to just be built into the nature of male channeling. In the same way the warden bond can’t be used to compel male channelers, but the Black Tower’s version of the bond can be used to exert some kind of mental pressure on female channelers.

The black tower would have been a hell of a wild card if we had gotten the Seanchan series.

Yeah the a'dam, domination band, warder bonds, and Callandor, are all rooted in the kind of "logic" behind circle-formation rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

buffalo all day posted:

I’ve read all these books a couple times through but not for 20 years or so (other than the new releases). I have been listening to great hunt on audio and it’s such a different experience it’s almost like going through everything for the first time. I also speed read so being forced to go through everything slowly is a big difference as well. Listening to Nynaeves accepted test was really harrowing in a way that reading wasn’t.

It’s been really fun but I cannot imagine trying to get through the Salidar / white tower plot lines again on audio. Goongrats to anyone who was able to do that.

Multiple times, heh. I'm starting another now, in fact, still in eotw.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If anything I'd be more afraid of missing nuances and details in an audiobook. I read extremely quickly but I don't skip or use speedreading hacks.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I have been struggling a little on reading AMoL but I am now about to start The Last Battle. I’m actually still not sure how things will really end but it’s been a great 14 book ride overall.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

If anything I'd be more afraid of missing nuances and details in an audiobook. I read extremely quickly but I don't skip or use speedreading hacks.

I haven’t ever had an audiobook like TGH. The readers are really spectacular, they bring different energy to all the characters such that you can really fall into the drama. I totally get the praise others have given them itt. Really great stuff.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I can't do audio books for the same reason I can't do podcasts: I will inevitably start reading something and tune out on the audio.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Torrannor posted:

And if I had read on, she would have answered the question I raised before

Thanks for this, this was really illuminating

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rndmnmbr posted:

I can't do audio books for the same reason I can't do podcasts: I will inevitably start reading something and tune out on the audio.

I’ve been listening on long runs and while driving, otherwise I am the same.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I sometimes have this problem with really dry audiobooks, or ones that are just read. The WoT audiobooks are more of a performance and are extremely well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4Doy7Rlzk&t=1381s

I did the audiobooks a few years after reading the physical books and it was a really good and different experience. Sometimes the audiobook just adds something special to the experience of reading a book, like Robert Inglis singing all of Tolkein's poetry in those audiobooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM0gHCu-FmQ

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Started the first Gawyn chapter in TGS and it immediately asks the obvious question: why the gently caress is he on the Tower’s side? Hell, why hasn’t he gone back to Caemlyn? Gawyn is the absolute worst.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Started the first Gawyn chapter in TGS and it immediately asks the obvious question: why the gently caress is he on the Tower’s side? Hell, why hasn’t he gone back to Caemlyn? Gawyn is the absolute worst.

Great loving question. Does he even know? No, not even a little bit.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Great loving question. Does he even know? No, not even a little bit.

Yup, that was a short chapter. I expected him to maybe come up with a convincing excuse but nah. Galad was always the better brother.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Yup, that was a short chapter. I expected him to maybe come up with a convincing excuse but nah. Galad was always the better brother.

That much was obvious when Elayne said she hated him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

uPen posted:

I sometimes have this problem with really dry audiobooks, or ones that are just read. The WoT audiobooks are more of a performance and are extremely well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4Doy7Rlzk&t=1381s

don't think I've ever heard the audiobook version of this and it really is incredible how much Jordan could convey the utter horror

if it ever makes it on tv, they'll have their work cut out for them in making it both horrifyingly impressive and profoundly disgusting

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Continuing on my reread, I finally got over the hump of the first few chapters of the Eye of the World and tore through the rest of it and the Great Hunt over the course of a week. It was really cool seeing all the examples of Rand channeling without knowing it and suffering all the effects of untrained use that Moirane tells Egwene and Nynaeve about, that all completely flew over my head when I read it as a teen. Nynaeve and Lan's true love at first sight is pretty creepy, dude's way too old for her. I'm a few chapters into book 3 and I'm already getting annoyed at how stubborn and uncommunicative all the characters are, and I know that that's only going to get worse as things go along but overall I still really enjoy these books. Probably a lot of nostalgia goggles at play. The sheer amount of things I remember from later books being set up so early is amazing to see.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Gnoman posted:

Given that the Domination Band was a museum piece of unknown purpose alongside Breaking-era relics,

Plus a Mercedes hood emblem from our time, don’t forget.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've just ploughed into the post Winter's Heart books on my re-read and, man, I'm really remembering how annoyed I was back when Crossroads of Twilight came out and how unsatisfying it was to have the wait from Winter's Heart to it, and then after it on to Knife of Dreams. I like the idea of overlapping timeframes to give some other perspectives on the end of the events in Winter's Heart, but I wish it had sorta gone even further in terms of the cleansing being a catalyst to get some of the more disparate groups actually talking to each other more, in a "holy poo poo our petty stuff is like nothing when put against things like this" way, but I realize that doesn't really fit the theme of the series though, heh. Related, but we do see Mesanaa get punished for skipping out on showing up to attack Rand at the cleansing, but somehow nothing happens to Semirhage (I think? Maybe I just haven't gotten to a view of that.)

In binge terms, I don't think CoT or KoD is bad at all- I really enjoy political maneuvering, typically, when the stakes are right and the personalities are good. They do a ton of relationship/character building, too, for Mat and Tuon, Perrin, and Egwene (Elayne is there too buy everything about the whole Elayne succession plotline is really just terminally lame compared to the others, like, seriously.), and also a lot really showing how hosed up and strange the world is getting. I had sorta forgotten all the turbo-horror bubble of evil events, like Perrin going to pick up the forkroot for his attack on the Shaido and one of the clerks randomly starting to projectile vomit live beetles until he's an empty husk and deflates in to nothing. That's some serious :staredog: poo poo.

Drone Jett posted:

Plus a Mercedes hood emblem from our time, don’t forget.

Wait what? I missed that rofl.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

Continuing on my reread, I finally got over the hump of the first few chapters of the Eye of the World and tore through the rest of it and the Great Hunt over the course of a week. It was really cool seeing all the examples of Rand channeling without knowing it and suffering all the effects of untrained use that Moirane tells Egwene and Nynaeve about, that all completely flew over my head when I read it as a teen. Nynaeve and Lan's true love at first sight is pretty creepy, dude's way too old for her. I'm a few chapters into book 3 and I'm already getting annoyed at how stubborn and uncommunicative all the characters are, and I know that that's only going to get worse as things go along but overall I still really enjoy these books. Probably a lot of nostalgia goggles at play. The sheer amount of things I remember from later books being set up so early is amazing to see.

Also started rereading for the first time since I was a kid and thought similarly.

One setup I really liked from Jordan was just the very, very slow trickle of rumors about the Seanchan invasion and how unavailable information is, where everyone's just like "Oh yeah war there? Those people have been fighting for generations, no surprise." Then by early in Great Hunt, major players are starting to take notice that something is going on, but can't do more than send scouts and try to get better info on it. He was always good at keeping track of just how ignorant most people even a few hundred miles away could be of major events.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And on the way back to the tower, Egwene is genuinely surprised that dain knew about it, though presumably that's because byar went as fast as he could to carry news.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gwaihir posted:

Wait what? I missed that rofl.

quote:

A silvery thing in another cabinet, like a three-pointed star inside a circle, was made of no substance she knew; it was softer than metal, scratched and gouged, yet even older than any of the ancient bones. From ten paces she could sense pride and vanity.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They cast Valda and the older Bornhald. Considering Valda is barely mentioned in the first few books other than as Bornhald Jr's commanding officer who is hanging around Tar Valon causing trouble, what do you want to bet they're going to compress Byar, Bornhald Jr and Valda into a single character?

Weird to cast him for the first season otherwise - his character isn't even "on screen" until LoC.

https://www.tor.com/2020/07/01/the-wheel-of-time-has-cast-two-whitecloak-leaders/

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

They cast Valda and the older Bornhald. Considering Valda is barely mentioned in the first few books other than as Bornhald Jr's commanding officer who is hanging around Tar Valon causing trouble, what do you want to bet they're going to compress Byar, Bornhald Jr and Valda into a single character?

Weird to cast him for the first season otherwise - his character isn't even "on screen" until LoC.

https://www.tor.com/2020/07/01/the-wheel-of-time-has-cast-two-whitecloak-leaders/

That would be a good choice, honestly. The payoff on Bornhald is delayed from Book 4 to Book 14, lol. It’ll be better to have Valda show up in the Two Rivers personally, let the audience grow to hate the bastard.

I’m not sold on that headshot for Valda. The guy’s got a good smile and I can’t imagine Valda without a constant sneer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think it's better if Bornhald Jr. is still separated out, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mat sure did rub his throat after a noose almost took him out of the saddle on the flight from Baerlon.

Yepp.

(also, gently caress, Google tried to correct it to Berlin and yeah uh you're probably right Google)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Prairie Bus posted:

That would be a good choice, honestly. The payoff on Bornhald is delayed from Book 4 to Book 14, lol. It’ll be better to have Valda show up in the Two Rivers personally, let the audience grow to hate the bastard.

I’m not sold on that headshot for Valda. The guy’s got a good smile and I can’t imagine Valda without a constant sneer.

The other guy has the look I'd expect for Valda, honestly. Something about the nose.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a couple characters whose presence as a distinct individual i will probably, absolutely not give a poo poo about if they get lumped in elsewhere

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I won't be surprised if the ax the sniffer entirely

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Hurin noo :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Or sandar I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You monster!

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

For what it’s worth Hurin was part of the prophecy of the Dragon, right? One of the “five ride forth,” if I’m remembering right. Reminds me that one of my favorite bits of writing is at the very end of The Great Hunt (I think), when the language becomes lofty and poetic, talking about the legend of the Dragon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

For what it’s worth Hurin was part of the prophecy of the Dragon, right? One of the “five ride forth,” if I’m remembering right. Reminds me that one of my favorite bits of writing is at the very end of The Great Hunt (I think), when the language becomes lofty and poetic, talking about the legend of the Dragon.

Sure was. Hurin, Perrin, Rand, Mat, Ingtar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ingtar's "Shinowa...and victory!" line gives me chills every time.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Prairie Bus posted:

I don't know enough about the relevant mythology, but I distinctly remember recognizing this 5 - 1 thing from The Dark Is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper, which is a heavily Welsh/Briton/Arthurian legend influenced fantasy YA series where a line from one of the good-guy prophecies is that "five will return, and one will go alone". It healthily predates WoT so I was always curious about whether it was a shared source, a hat tip to the series, or just coincidence. Not curious enough to actually find out on my own though, obviously.

Also, merging or getting rid of Hurin/Sandar will totally ruin the multiple jokes about confusing the characters that RJ wrote into the text, but I would forgive the producers nonetheless.

And making Valda a PoC is a clutch move - see the how to handle the obvious children = fantasy KKK??? for mass media discussion a dozen pages back or so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Love that series, I read it to death though mostly books 1,2,4. Greenwitch and whatever the final one was never made much sense to me.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I was surprised by how much I liked Hurin when I was reading through the great hunt last week, all I remembered about him was the swordbreaker which was cool but the sniffer thing is a cool fantasy power and he's just such a Dude. I could definitely see a lot of his plot points being rolled into the more primary characters in a show, economy of characters is always a concern in adaptations of sprawling tales like this and I'm usually in favor of streamlining where it's possible. That said I'd love to see him in a show, the way he changes his behavior towards Rand over the course of events is a great way to get Rand from goony shepherd to crazy leader of men in a show not tell kind of way.

I didn't remember Ingtar at all but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I figured he was just obsessed with the horn, like some characters hinted happens to people, but the twist and his last stand had me legit tearing up when I read it. I'm a real sucker for that kind of story, and it was probably the highlight of the events in Falme for me this time through. The heist to get Egwene out of Seanchan hands was pretty great too. I don't know if I really got how truly detestable the Seanchan were when I was reading through as a teen, I mostly remembered them as fantasy Japanese people with southern U.S. accents. I'm now not sure that that's the accent as described in the text but I'm going to keep rolling with that understanding.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It definitely is, a slowly slured drawl is the typical Seanchan description.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I didn't remember Ingtar at all but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I figured he was just obsessed with the horn, like some characters hinted happens to people, but the twist and his last stand had me legit tearing up when I read it. I'm a real sucker for that kind of story, and it was probably the highlight of the events in Falme for me this time through.

I looked him up after just finishing rereading Great Hunt and it seems like it's never confirmed that Ingtar was definitely under compulsion?

But yeah, on the second time around, it seems extremely clear that he is, he's totally psychotically obsessed with finding the Horn in a way that leads to him constantly throwing away decorum and dignity and seems totally 100% at odds with what a Shienaran lord should be like.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

eke out posted:

I looked him up after just finishing rereading Great Hunt and it seems like it's never confirmed that Ingtar was definitely under compulsion?

But yeah, on the second time around, it seems extremely clear that he is, he's totally psychotically obsessed with finding the Horn in a way that leads to him constantly throwing away decorum and dignity and seems totally 100% at odds with what a Shienaran lord should be like.

I think Ingtar's obsession with finding the horn was because he saw it as his only chance at retuning to the light and finding salvation for his time as a darkfriend. Pretty sure he says something to that effect as they are fleeing Falme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Nap Ghost

Caf posted:

I think Ingtar's obsession with finding the horn was because he saw it as his only chance at retuning to the light and finding salvation for his time as a darkfriend. Pretty sure he says something to that effect as they are fleeing Falme.

Yup, right before he Leeroy Jenkins in to hold them off so the rest of the party can escape, he says that he'd figured using the Horn to lead armies against the Shadow was his only chance for redemption. He got more and more desperate that *he* had to find the Horn.

It has a lot of great parallels with Logain, completely misunderstanding what it takes to get the glory and salvation they want until the last minute.