Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

the office was entirely empty the entire time we were there. this is in massachusetts, I dunno if things are getting really ugly or not elsewhere in the state but where I am most people still wear masks every day and still mostly follow social distancing measures so it's probably cutting down on the spread significantly.

her eye is getting much better, two days ago her vision through that eye was entirely blurry, now there's just a blurry line across her vision in that eye, and it'll probably mostly if not entirely go away within a week. she's really, really lucky.

drat, but glad to hear she's feeling better! How exactly did this happen where her eye was damaged?

hopefully it's better than other parts of the country, I'm in Arizona and we are one of the new epicenters and there still people going outside without masks on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat, but glad to hear she's feeling better! How exactly did this happen where her eye was damaged?

hopefully it's better than other parts of the country, I'm in Arizona and we are one of the new epicenters and there still people going outside without masks on.

standard "woke up to go to the bathroom, body moved before mind was awake, slipped while autopiloting out of bed and when going to brace herself during the fall her hand deflected off the nightstand and her fingernail stabbed her directly in the eyeball"

she's lucky it's just a gash in her cornea which will heal incredibly quickly(I had almost my entire cornea sliced off once and it fully healed in less than two weeks) and she didn't outright lose her eyeball. also glad she no longer has long gaudy fingernails or that would've ended much worse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cowslips Warren posted:

But part of me still misses her despite knowing how little I really meant.
I feel that. Sometimes it's hard having that person-shaped void in your life. :smith:
I've wrestled with missing people in my life and sometimes the only thing that helps is remembering whatever experiences I shared with them. They may not be here now, but they were at one point. And that was pretty good. :gbsmith:

I had a sadbrains episode today (probably need to adjust my meds) and I went on a dumb social media purging spree. Realized someone hadn't seen/responded to a PM I sent at the beginning of the year, so they either muted me or unfriended and that kinda sucked. But I hadn't been much of a good friend for a bit so I kinda asked for it.
Ah well. 10 years is usually when people bail anyway.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
After learning from my boss that I’ll most likely have to remain in a remote work position in my house, alone with no family or pets until at least February 2021, my mom called to tell me that the last childhood pet of mine is now dying of advanced lung cancer and could die anytime between 2 days from now and 2 months from now. My parents are both right in the strike range for COVID (65+, lifelong smokers) and I’ve been having nonstop panic attacks and I’m convinced they’ll both be dead of the virus or lung cancer within the year.

2020 is going the be the year that breaks me as a human being.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
During the current outing of a lot of internet creepers, a whole bunch of smash bros players(and other people in the fgc) have been outed as groomers or abusers. One of the smash players I enjoyed watching, Nairo, had been involved with a 15-year-old when he was 20, bribed him to keep quiet and then when the victim made a statement he tried to say the accuser was lying but then immediately deleted his twitter. And there was a 24-year-old woman who was apparently groping a 14-year-old boy on stream at tournaments. Can people just not be horrible for a little while please, for fucks sake.

Oh and Mr Wizard, the guy who runs EVO, was also outed as a groomer, so, one of my favorite events is tainted by that poo poo right at the top too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I leant my mom my car that I bought last week since hers is in the shop today. As she was going through the first intersection by my apartment going straight, some 80 year old doesn’t even slow down and made a left into traffic and hit her. She’s fine but my car is hosed.

People really need to give up their licenses when they get too old to drive. It’s absurd how many people are out there with two ton blocks of steel going tens of miles per hour that aren’t in the condition to drive it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

75 should be the hard cut off. They wouldn't take my grandma's license until she drove through her neighbor's garage door. That was also when my dad and uncle just stole her car to keep it away from her.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

75 should be the hard cut off. They wouldn't take my grandma's license until she drove through her neighbor's garage door. That was also when my dad and uncle just stole her car to keep it away from her.

The guy kept trying to act like it was no big deal because it was an accident. It’s like, dude, you floored it into oncoming traffic to make a left; you could have killed someone. He’s still a practicing doctor, too, which is loving horrifying.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"i'm looking for grapes."
"ok, wha-"
"when i was growing up we lived next to a vineyard and we would steal grapes and eat them and as i got older i really liked grapes and started growing my own and now i have grape plants that i bought online but i need to know if you have these particular grapes. so that's why i'm calling."
"ok. we-"
"and i wanted to call earlier but i got busy and it turns out you're not open on the weekend i don't know when you started that but i tried going there on the weekend because i usually work until 4:30-5 so when you have hours that end before then i don't know when to come in so i'm calling to see if you have grapes."
"no."

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

That is one of my biggest work pet peeves. The only reason I would want to know your life story is if I cared about you and 80% of our patron base I don't. I used to make fun of the concept of a reference interview but really that's what it is: drilling through countless layers of irrelevant unnecessary information to get to what the person really wants.

I'm also tired of telling people no because of COVID. Just by being open to the public we cracked the door and now people are mad that they can't push it all the way open. If I had my way, we'd have closed stacks until there was an affordable vaccine.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i mean just get to the point. for the most part nothing anyone says past the first sentence is ever necessary, but this is a business transaction and you're wasting both of our time.

also i stabbed myself in the palm and the swelling is causing my nerves to scream up to my shoulder whenever i move my fingers or wrist and settle into a dull ache whenever they are in the same position for a few seconds. there's nothing to do but wait for the swelling to go down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

also i stabbed myself in the palm and the swelling is causing my nerves to scream up to my shoulder whenever i move my fingers or wrist and settle into a dull ache whenever they are in the same position for a few seconds. there's nothing to do but wait for the swelling to go down.

You might want to go to the hospital. Hand injuries are seriously nothing to gently caress with- nerve and tendon injuries there can easily lead to permanent loss of function. It really does not take much for that to happen. At the very least get an urgent care to look at it.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I went to get some money out of the ATM earlier and, for some reason, walked away from the machine without picking my money up. I only realised I had done this about an hour later. Perhaps some desperate person was pleased to see £20 sticking out of a machine with nobody around, but it was probably taken by someone with more money than me. Unless the machine snatched it back in time, but I am not optimistic.

Also, my new mask arrived from Etsy and it doesn't go down under my chin, so if I opened my mouth, any disease might easily escape. This is despite the pictures on the seller's page of people wearing the mask with it fitting nicely under the chin. One I got from another seller is too big, but that was my fault for ordering the wrong size. But this seller only had one size of mask available as far as I could see. I'm in a bad mood.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Call your bank and tell them it didn't dispense. For $20 they'll just credit you back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A website I used to visit / use / read decided to gently caress with some of the stuff I wrote. I get that it's been a while since I've been there, and even if they had contacted me I wouldn't have noticed... but they didn't do anything of the sort.

It shouldn't bother me, because I haven't done anything for the site in question in ages, but it does.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I work at one of the main offices that handle student/parent inquiries at the local university, and as the pandemic progresses everyone is just tearing into me for things I cannot control. I’m sorry, MAGA lady from New York - your student has to observe social distancing measures and be tested before arrival on-campus. My apologies, Angriest Dad, that the voice tone I adopt on phone calls is “too loving happy” for the circumstances - it’s just how I talk. :( To make things even better, part of our contracted duties include advising for the entire online learning section of the university as well as its online high school program. I want to help these people, but they are deadset on shooting the messenger.

I almost prefer the absolute muppets, who asked me questions like “do you know why Timmy’s fall 2020 basketball classes at X University are cancelled??”.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"i have this part and it's not working"
"ok, there's a step some people miss to fix that problem."
"that's not it bro, that's not it. i'm having this problem."
"yes, that's the exact problem you have if you don't follow this step..."
"no bro, no, i looked bro."
"ok, lemme check the manual."
"i checked the manual bro, i checked, it doesn't say anything bro."
"ok, well i'm out of ideas."
"so you're not gonna help me?"
"i'm not sure i can..."
"also it's sparking and smoking."

go.
gently caress.
yourself.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Add in 2 more weeks on top of all that claimed on my initial UI+PUA application. I owe 6k to my landlord in back rent. I am havint o move into my old bedroom with my parents, who are homophobic, transphobic, racist, backwoods shitheads. the are using my bedroom to grow pot. My brother who is helping me move is refusing to move faster than the speed of geology. I woke his rear end up at 830 to get started for the day. I gotta 150 miles to drive after he helps me load cabinets into my truck. its past noon and he isnt done with his morning poo poo.

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 14, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My tax bill is crazy high this year, and it wouldn’t be a problem if I didn’t lose two cars to no fault of my own (manufacturing defect and an old guy driving into it) which set me back basically the exact amount I owe. Plus there was a girl I had just started seeing who got a new job and is moving away. gently caress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A lot of poo poo is going south in my life, so I figured I'd zone out a bit playing this feature-heavier Minecraft clone I haven't played in a while.

The game is working fine, but for some reason my stomach is decidedly not working fine while I play it.

It's never happened before, so it's that fun experience of "is it something I ate, something I haven't eaten, or something else".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

A lot of poo poo is going south in my life, so I figured I'd zone out a bit playing this feature-heavier Minecraft clone I haven't played in a while.

The game is working fine, but for some reason my stomach is decidedly not working fine while I play it.

It's never happened before, so it's that fun experience of "is it something I ate, something I haven't eaten, or something else".

Check the FOV settings or make sure nothing added head bob, maybe? Those are usually the biggest culprits.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Got a new job which is good but because I was hired at the end of june I won't get paid until loving august 10th, the unemployment fucks are jerking me around cause TECHNICALLY I am doing labor for pay, even though I won't see any pay for almost another month. Due to this I'm late on rent, power, internet, phone, all the things a person needs to live. Oh and my new boss is into wage theft apparently and I am literally the only one at my new job who thinks it's hosed up and illegal so now I am going to have to make a scene about this in like my second full week of employment. gently caress ME.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Work told me yesterday that my group of machine operators have to work twelve hour shifts from now on, starting tonight.. I have spinal issues and it's hard enough going 8 hours some nights. Due to covid we cant have any of our fans on that we normally would because it's hot as gently caress, and I work with a bunch of Maga dumbfucks who only wear their masks over their mouths and not their nose. Feel like its only a matter of time before someone starts spreading it there.

My girlfriend has lung damage from vaping THC cartridges, she is super amazing and I love her so much, I'm constantly paranoid about her safety in this pandemic.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm in so much pain. I've taken like 20x the recommended dose of ibuprofen and naproxen but it's not working. I'm going to fry my liver and still be hurting.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure covid gave me permanent lung damage, since I got sick in March and I’m still not able to talk or do anything physical for very long. I’m supposed to work phone support but when I can’t talk for more than an hour or two that ain’t gonna fly, and my disability is running out soon so I’ll be super screwed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Biplane posted:

Got a new job which is good but because I was hired at the end of june I won't get paid until loving august 10th, the unemployment fucks are jerking me around cause TECHNICALLY I am doing labor for pay, even though I won't see any pay for almost another month. Due to this I'm late on rent, power, internet, phone, all the things a person needs to live. Oh and my new boss is into wage theft apparently and I am literally the only one at my new job who thinks it's hosed up and illegal so now I am going to have to make a scene about this in like my second full week of employment. gently caress ME.

Hope you're past the probationary period because bitching two weeks in while the employment pool is super deep is a pretty good way to get right back on unemployment. You know, months from now once it gets processed.

Godspeed though. You shouldn't let an employer walk over you, no matter the situation.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Went to my bank's online portal to pay a couple bills, and my account is VERY low.

Was wondering if I mis-timed a CC payment or something, but nope, just good ol' fashioned check fraud. Not sure how they got the checks, but they're OLD checks, like, ones I thought I used up a long time ago because they are my address from about 2010.

But Scumbag #1 and Scumbag #2 (two different checks with two different names) just decided to fleece me out of ~$1000 between the two of them.

Already called the bank and the police (I expect THAT to go nowhere) so I'll get the money back, but it's a matter of time and meanwhile, I'll likely NOT be able to pay my utility bills on time, though thankfully just being a few days/week late won't incur any penalty, but I hate looking like a "deadbeat".

And naturally, I did some googling on the people who cashed the checks, and nothing really on one of them, but the other...woo-boy, a piece of work. Granted, MAYBE he was just railroaded by our terrible justice system, it's possible, but the list is long and includes pretty much everything you'd expect and some you wouldn't. Burglary, larceny, and sex crimes. One was filming his friends rape an underage girl, and the other was basically kidnapping and rape, though it looks like it was plea'd down to something less "serious", but he is on the sex offender registry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Constant nightmares last night when I was trying to sleep doing some ambulance stuff, followed by more this morning when I tried to take a nap when I got home. It’s something I usually deal with like 1-2 times a month, not every time I try to sleep like this. I even had my Joe Frank radio on this morning to try to have something with vivid imagery while I was conking out to try to guide me to something else, but nope, woke up in a panic with my heart pounding again.

Also I got pink eye from a hoarder house.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am an old getting a cs degree (work paying for it so why not) and jesus cristo programmers are the loving worst human beings alive. Complete garbage. Asking for help with anything programming related anywhere on the internet invites the most hostile and/or smug responses I have ever read. Like just stay quiet if you don't want to help, it takes zero effort to ignore someone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

I am an old getting a cs degree (work paying for it so why not) and jesus cristo programmers are the loving worst human beings alive. Complete garbage. Asking for help with anything programming related anywhere on the internet invites the most hostile and/or smug responses I have ever read. Like just stay quiet if you don't want to help, it takes zero effort to ignore someone.

You need some help buddy? It’s called skill and talent. Try getting some.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

oldpainless posted:

You need some help buddy? It’s called skill and talent. Try getting some.

Exactly this, someone has used stackexchange before.

My favorite is asking "how do I do X" and the first answer is "what are you really trying to do?", the second is "have you even read the documentation" and the third is "this is a repeat of thread 57527282. thread closed" but thread 57527282 is eight years old and was never answered.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Are they just assholes or afraid you will replace them?

An ex friend of mine had this horrible habit where she would get super into something and would not shut up about it, even if you had no interest. Like the Bay Transformers (the first movie at least). Probably the Bumblebee one too. DeathNote. So many things she would frenzy about, and then lose interest after the pressure wore you down and you gave up and in and watched/listened to it too to get her to shut up.

Anyway she once told me, over and over, to listen to this one band, VAST, and their one song "I Don't Have Anything" because it fit with an rpg we were doing. I refused to listen because I had no interest in it (and because she again would not stop talking about how great it was). I finally listened to it today, and while it's a haunting song, parts of it are good, and the rest is meh. Like literally the last verse is the only one that was good, and then I realize the entire song might be good but her refusal to drop talking about it, ruined the entire thing for me.

By comparison, I told her Watership Down was a great book, and she turned the conversation to buying a book from some psychic Sylvia Brown and how she was a total legit psychic, unlike all the others, and proceeded to tell me all about how legit she was.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Ughhh I had a classmate like that in high school right around the time that Supernatural came out. No matter what we were working on she managed to steer the topic back to that. I didn't watch for years because she tainted it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I didn't watch One Punch Man until fairly recently, entirely out of spite for a person like that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

Ughhh I had a classmate like that in high school right around the time that Supernatural came out. No matter what we were working on she managed to steer the topic back to that. I didn't watch for years because she tainted it.

Oddly enough another friend was (and probably still is) SUPER into Supernatural but barely talked about it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

It's morning, but I can't stay asleep through the night anymore.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A friend sent me a package like three weeks ago and the tracking number hasn't updated for 3 days now. It was in Dallas four days before that.

It does not take a week to get from Dallas to my city. Its an hour drive, tops.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was a power outage a couple days ago and it fried something in the fridge so the fridge section stopped working, which wasn't noticed until the following day because the freezer was still working fine. Hell yeah.

Then the repairman came and despite explicitly asking him to wear a mask, he wore a mask and...pulled it down as a chinstrap when he started talking to me. You loving idiot. You loving buffoon. You indescribable nincompoop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
made a big purchase on ebay, it didn't ship for a bit, went and looked at the person's profile and they have over a dozen negatives in the last couple days from people buying the same item who didn't get it and can't get in touch with the seller. So either it's a scam or something happened to them, and it'll take weeks for paypal to reach a resolution on the case despite being able to see the situation clearly. Bummer, the person had basically sterling rep beforehand, so hopefully it's some weird problem and they didn't like, die and aren't a scammer or anything. they were shipping stuff out up to shortly before the negatives soooooo idk what's up, hopefully they didn't die from covid or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'd like to formally condemn and deride my uterus for deciding it'd be fun to pretend to be normal for three days of my cycle and then waking me up at 4am so it could force out a couple of massive chunks out over like two hours, by the feel of it. My toilet quite literally looked like a murder scene.

Back down to normal levels and there hasn't been any pain this entire time so I guess this is just how it is this round. I need to get back on BC.