Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested by the FBI.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/jeffrey-epstein-girlfriend-ghislaine-maxwell-arrested-by-fbi/12418488
Though now I wonder if I've misposted because she wasn't quite in Hollywood. Regardless, big sexual assault news. Sorry!

somebodyelse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

somebodyelse posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/jeffrey-epstein-girlfriend-ghislaine-maxwell-arrested-by-fbi/12418488
Though now I wonder if I've misposted because she wasn't quite in Hollywood. Regardless, big sexual assault news. Sorry!

I mean, if they even have her testify you can guarantee that there are going to be some powerful Hollywood people in that black book. But this has also been just a general sexual assault by celebs of any kind thread for a while so...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe it's because it's too early for me to properly parse this, but I have no idea what the hell this is trying to say. "The Daily Telegraph in 2017 conveyed the imputation Rush was a pervert." What kind of mealy mouth bullshit is this?

From the article itself:

So...are they saying that he didn't do the inappropriate behavior he was accused of? Or just that they shouldn't have said it?

This feels like it's couched in several layers of garbage to keep it from actually saying anything.

I don't see an issue with the wording. The court is saying that the paper reported the story in a way that accused him of being a creep, as opposed to reporting that someone had made an accusation he was a creep. The paper indulged in character assassination for profit at the expense of Rush's finances and reputation, and the court are forcing them to reimburse him for it.

As to whether or not Rush is actually a creep, who knows? If Newcorp had been able to find evidence they would have used it to defend themselves, as truth is an absolute defence.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't see an issue with the wording. The court is saying that the paper reported the story in a way that accused him of being a creep, as opposed to reporting that someone had made an accusation he was a creep. The paper indulged in character assassination for profit at the expense of Rush's finances and reputation, and the court are forcing them to reimburse him for it.

As to whether or not Rush is actually a creep, who knows? If Newcorp had been able to find evidence they would have used it to defend themselves, as truth is an absolute defence.

Apparently the newspaper used the headline of 'King Leer' which Geoffrey Rush's team argued would unfairly prejudice any reader against him. The newspaper didn't have any defense for the article being too accusatory because the actress that leveled the complaint refused to give any evidence for the paper after they outed her as the source of what was supposed to be an anonymous complaint to the theater's board of directors as a way to warn them to watch for his behavior. Someone from the theater turned around and leaked it to Newscorp. The current case was entirely about Newscorp thinking they were being forced to pay too much not whether they were guilty or anything. Surprising no one, after the initial complaint Yael Stone of Orange is the New Black and High Maintenance came out and said 'Yeah he's a total creep that constantly barged into the women's dressing room naked and kept trying to spy on me in the shower. I couldn't say anything because I was more concerned with not being black balled from Australia's theater scene.'

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's a lot of weird poo poo in Firefly surrounding women, setting aside everything else that's weird. There are Magical Hookers (to go with an actual Magical Negro). There's a manic pixie dream girl. Generally a bunch of stuff that is today rightfully considered far more cringey in the mainstream, all the way up to neoconfederacy and the Evil One World Government being Chinese.

When you analyze Whedon's work in totality you see a lot of lazy formula and disturbing themes.

Everyone forgets when one of the main baddies uses rape as a threat in one of the episodes. He (character named Jubal Early) 'implied he would rape Kaylee Frye if she did not do as he told her, and used the same threat of raping Kaylee when he dealt with Simon Tam.'
That always stuck to me as wtf

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

somebodyelse posted:

I wonder if some deal was already made to bring her in, like she'll throw some lesser characters under the bus and leave the bigger figures out of it. Seems like it would've been easier to have her killed (and possibly make it look like suicide) when she was on the run.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Autechresaint posted:

Everyone forgets when one of the main baddies uses rape as a threat in one of the episodes. He (character named Jubal Early) 'implied he would rape Kaylee Frye if she did not do as he told her, and used the same threat of raping Kaylee when he dealt with Simon Tam.'
That always stuck to me as wtf

Wasn't that whole character someone who was messed up right from the start though? I've not seen that show for nearly 15 years, but I remember something about the telepath girl seeing into his head and talking about his mother saying he wasn't right and doing something to a dog.

Also on the hooker episode - wasn't part of the plot that the madame of the whore house left the guild so she's actually a hooker and not a 'companion'? The crew charater knew her from back in the guild but outright says "they're whores". I always got the impression that Whedon was going for the Australian model where prostitution is legalised and the workers have protections. In his world the 'companion' can black list a client (I think this happens in an episode), whereas the cowboy larper hookers don't have that protection and are helpless against the land baron rich guy (until they form a plucky resistance gunfighting band because Whedon.txt).

Whedon has always been a weird one though. So much of his work on the surface is progressive and pro-feminist, but the closer you look the more cynical and creepy it becomes. He knows his audience, he knows how to give them something that makes them feel empowered and it puts him on this pedestal that gives him built in support when people raise accusations against him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1278861150231203841?s=20

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And of course, no discussion of Firefly's creepy sex politics is complete without Whedon's infamous unused pitch:

Executive Producer Tim Minear posted:

[Inara] had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'

What a feminist.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 3, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1278573278118899712?s=20

largest fighting game tournament ceo got outted and now EVO is cancelled for this year (even online)

from what I gather it had to do with young boys...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

And of course, no discussion on Firefly's creepy sex politics is complete without Whedon's infamous unused pitch:

What a feminist.

Well that took a turn for the WTF?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Each reaver came out of the room and immediately died horribly, and the next reaver was like "Huh that's weird. Oh well"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dog_Meat posted:

Also on the hooker episode - wasn't part of the plot that the madame of the whore house left the guild so she's actually a hooker and not a 'companion'? The crew charater knew her from back in the guild but outright says "they're whores". I always got the impression that Whedon was going for the Australian model where prostitution is legalised and the workers have protections. In his world the 'companion' can black list a client (I think this happens in an episode), whereas the cowboy larper hookers don't have that protection and are helpless against the land baron rich guy (until they form a plucky resistance gunfighting band because Whedon.txt).

He modeled the whole Companion Guild after the geisha ideal. When you paid for an evening with a geisha you just bought their time and companionship, it was entirely their choice if they slept with you. At least that's the fairy tale, geisha were typically so indebted to the mother of their houses that they couldn't risk turning anyone away. The whole 'it's their choice' was entirely to stroke the client's ego.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Whedon also had the "gentleman" Malcolm constantly insulting Inara and either calling her a whore outright (the n-word for companions) or making a bunch of sly insults about it demeaning her sex work every chance he could.

Then when the Heroic Captain ends up banging the ex-companion "whore" who's friends with Inara, the proper companion, she finds out and pretends to be all sex positive about it then runs away to cry that her tru wuv sleeps with other "whores" but can't ever love her.

It's a sad tale that of all the problems with Firefly the gamergate chud that is Adam Baldwin isn't even remotely the worst part of it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Each reaver came out of the room and immediately died horribly, and the next reaver was like "Huh that's weird. Oh well"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

this kinda got lost in the tail end of streamergate but a bunch of authors got outted too

https://twitter.com/typedtruths/status/1276149359437139970?s=20
https://twitter.com/SamSykesSwears/status/1275970100739244035?s=20

they are all in that obscure indie fantasy con table thing but I guess Sam is related to the woman who wrote Outlander but doesn't like to talk about that (oddly referring to her in third person for interviews)

lol, Mark Lawrence. I know the idea that rapists tell on themselves is mostly dumb pop psychology, but seeing this about the guy who debuted with the Broken Empire series is intensely unsurprising.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

On top of all that "Joss" isn't a name. You're Joe you rear end in a top hat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That profile pic kind of undermines the apology.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Groovelord Neato posted:

On top of all that "Joss" isn't a name. You're Joe you rear end in a top hat.

He's American, count yourself lucky he isn't Joccen.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, Mark Lawrence. I know the idea that rapists tell on themselves is mostly dumb pop psychology, but seeing this about the guy who debuted with the Broken Empire series is intensely unsurprising.

fwiw Lawrence is only accused of online harassment.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
As far as I can tell, Lawrence is accused of publicly shittalking negative reviews. Which is like, unprofessional, but not even online harassment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think Lawrence's thing was he like, mainly focused on getting angry about women who gave bad reviews so no poo poo it looks like he's got issues with women but I don't think he's been accused of anything sexual

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You don’t need to try to go over Buffy or Firefly with a fine tooth comb when you can just take Dollhouse at face value as a deeply hosed up and problematic show with obviously disgusting attitudes about women at the helm. My GF and I binged it over a weekend and spent the entire time wondering who the gently caress green light this poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bust Rodd posted:

You don’t need to try to go over Buffy or Firefly with a fine tooth comb when you can just take Dollhouse at face value as a deeply hosed up and problematic show with obviously disgusting attitudes about women at the helm. My GF and I binged it over a weekend and spent the entire time wondering who the gently caress green light this poo poo.

Dollhouse had one really good episode and it was DVD only

Why couldn't we have had more in the apocalypse and less hooker of the week episodes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

Dollhouse had one really good episode and it was DVD only

Why couldn't we have had more in the apocalypse and less hooker of the week episodes

I feel bad for Eliza Dushku's entire acting career.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

I feel bad for Eliza Dushku's entire acting career.

I like Tru Calling but I haven't watched it since it still had new episodes and got cancelled before it got an ending

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

I like Tru Calling but I haven't watched it since it still had new episodes and got cancelled before it got an ending

I forgot that show existed. I was thinking more about what Joss Whedon did to her, then the more recent bullshit around her being on Bull.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I forgot that show existed. I was thinking more about what Joss Whedon did to her, then the more recent bullshit around her being on Bull.

She also got molested by the stunt coordinator on True Lies when she was 12

It’s a real poo poo career

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Cameo posted:

She also got molested by the stunt coordinator on True Lies when she was 12

It’s a real poo poo career

loving hell.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

The "Lena Dunham did poo poo to her sister" thing is the new "Jane Fonda killed POWs in Vietnam," and is, at best, a bad faith strawman used to smear her, and nothing in her book relating to her sister was published without her permission.

Take her to task for actual poo poo she did like defending a rapist while dismissing his victim's claims, not something that some lovely right-wing journal cooked up to smear her.

It's complicated. I don't think Dunham actually sexually abused her sister, but she thought it would be funny to write about her as if she did, basically.

And there was a fair amount of bad faith in the defense of Dunham too; there were three...questionable passages about the sister in the book, and her defenders acted as though the controversy was only about the first of them.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Bust Rodd posted:

His work often features women suffering at the hands of men and being disempowered, and needing a dude to come flying in to rescue them. His "I wrighte stronge women, m'ladies" poo poo came off as incredibly hollow when he had Black Widow spend a big chunk of Age of Ultron as a damsel in distress, in the same calendar year as The Force Awakens and Fury Road.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing by Joss Whedon I've seen was Dr Horrible, where an Incel evil scientist protagonist faces off against the Chad superhero and we're supposed to root for the villain, or maybe there's a redemption arc and he learns something I don't know I wasn't paying attention. One of my college professors put it on as part of our film study class, we actually had to write about it on an exam. Yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The only thing by Joss Whedon I've seen was Dr Horrible, where an Incel evil scientist protagonist faces off against the Chad superhero and we're supposed to root for the villain, or maybe there's a redemption arc and he learns something I don't know I wasn't paying attention. One of my college professors put it on as part of our film study class, we actually had to write about it on an exam. Yeah.

I haven't seem DH so I may be off here but from what friends of mine have told me the entire point is that Dr. Horrible is not someone you are supposed to root for. He's a weird creepy incel stalker who is desperate to show that he is a Nice Guy in comparison to the superhero despite the fact that he's also a lovely person. He doesn't learn any lesson and doesn't grow as a person and the ending is him murdering the woman he's stalking and then making her death about him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Didn't she win like $20 million from her lawsuit against the producers? The evidence against them for trying to tank her career for her not sleeping with some exec was about as blatant as them live-blogging their strategy on twitter.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Welp, not gonna be able to finish the last season of The 100 now.

https://twitter.com/ArrynZech/status/1279103295525539841

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Didn't she win like $20 million from her lawsuit against the producers? The evidence against them for trying to tank her career for her not sleeping with some exec was about as blatant as them live-blogging their strategy on twitter.

9.7 million, for a TV show she actually was only on for 4 episodes.

Love to cost my bosses that much money because I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and still not get fired.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

That profile pic kind of undermines the apology.

ive met him and he seems to have enough self awareness not to be "that guy" but he certainly looks like he posts here

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

9.7 million, for a TV show she actually was only on for 4 episodes.

Love to cost my bosses that much money because I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and still not get fired.

Jesus, the guy didn't lose his job for that?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I remember posting about what a loving horribly inappropriate wank-bait show Dollhouse was when it aired. Everything about it was bad*, but then you had the whole "ooh rape, so hot" angle.

*Apart from that one genuinely good actor with the surname that'll stop him ever being a leading man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Don't know him but apparently this guy is a special fx makeup artist and at least 15 women have come forward
https://www.facebook.com/keaghlan.ashley/posts/10158097639985339