Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
On the contrast route I heard skeleton horde gets the color nicely just as fast as well. At least being all tan/silver makes up for the assembly.

I'm looking to finally paint my rebels and I think I'll give them a Hoth scheme, even if the models have endor gear i think if I hit them with whites and beiges it'll still look Artic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was thinking of picking up Rebel Veterans just for that, as a counterpart to my Imperial Hoth army. My T47 is painted up in Rogue Squad colors already.

I had a laugh of building a legal list with a generic officer, ~4x rebel vet squads, and 2x T47s just for display purposes, opposed to my Imperial Hoth army. I could never decided if I wanted to keep Vader in it, or swap him for the AT-ST.

Unfinished (then), but best I currently have.

Veers, 4x snowies w/ flamethrower, 2x E-webs, and either generic officer + Vader, or AT-ST.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to find B2 Super Battle Droids and they are sold out everywhere or overpriced (on Amazon). :sigh: Anyone happen to have an unopened box, or even a painted set already, they would want to sell?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I picked up the Empire/Rebel starter kit recently, and have played a total of two games, one against my fiance who has never played a war game, and one against a friend who is a total Star Wars nerd.

The game against my friend went as I'd expect, with us focusing on the epic duel between Luke and Vader while trying to tactically maneuver around heavy cover to waylay the other person's infantry. It was a long, fun game in the spirit of a tense, epic skirmish between the original factions.

Against my fiance? She asked which of the dice were better and proceeded to sprint her stormtroopers right up on my everything to have them punch Luke and an AT-RT to death. Luke had his lightsaber, the 501st were full of piss and vinegar. The AT-RT was a 10 foot tall walker droid made of durasteel and armed with a rotary cannon, the 501st were a bunch of dudes who took Fight Club seriously. It was the funniest loving thing I've experienced in wargaming.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tournament rules updated.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/4/6/new-directives/

I like the idea of the trooper silhouette.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is a LOT of howling about it on the FB group ("bwaah R2D2 is the same volume as a wookiee"!), but if you want to square the circle of "hobby game with potential scenic bases and variant pose models" and "tight game designed to be played competitively" uniform volumetric LOS "hitboxes" is the only way to do it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The R2 thing is funny - I suppose they could have made a smaller silhouette for short models but I imagine they decided that there wasn't enough shorties to warrant it.

Also you often can't shoot at R2 anyways so eh.

I'm just glad I don't have to face my models backwards now to avoid their guns sticking out

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be fair, R2 isn't exactly agile. The nature of wargames is that they abstract what's happening. A wookie could hit the dirt or duck behind a tree/log, R2 just kind of wheels slightly faster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It owns that literally hours after the update there are like half a dozen good options for silhouette markers to 3d print.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Other games use the same idea, so they probably had the templates around already.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The silhouette is an extremely smart move, but I guess it’s not surprising that if a group of people are Star Wars fans first and war game fans second, that they would then take issue with this.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

There is a LOT of howling about it on the FB group ("bwaah R2D2 is the same volume as a wookiee"!), but if you want to square the circle of "hobby game with potential scenic bases and variant pose models" and "tight game designed to be played competitively" uniform volumetric LOS "hitboxes" is the only way to do it.

Like it's almost all filthy casuals who don't play competitively that are whining when they could just choose to not use them?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

hoiyes posted:

Like it's almost all filthy casuals who don't play competitively that are whining when they could just choose to not use them?

I'd say it's more of a case of "mah immershun" (Because apparently it's more immersive to have a sniper unable to stabd up to shoot over a waist high barrier) and knee jerk resistance to change.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

But I can print a silhouette marker that looks like Han frozen in carbonite, so all other arguments are moot.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've played a few other games that abstract LoS to a silhouette (Warmachine, Malifaux, and Infinity) and it's a much better experience than true line of sight.

40k is the perfect example of how bad it can be. "Well, I can see the tip of your guy's gun barrel if I look from the top of the antenna on my dude" type stuff is annoying as hell.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

head58 posted:

But I can print a silhouette marker that looks like Han frozen in carbonite, so all other arguments are moot.

I look forward to someone doing an entire army of units in carbonite.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ugleb posted:

I look forward to someone doing an entire army of units in carbonite.

A lot of the people braying when the update first dropped said they were going to protest this great injustice by making whole armies of just LOS sillhouette markers.

Making my dollies look bad to own the FFG.

So what kind of glue do I have to get so this supposedly amazing and miraculous upgraded plastic bonds?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

A lot of the people braying when the update first dropped said they were going to protest this great injustice by making whole armies of just LOS sillhouette markers.

Making my dollies look bad to own the FFG.

So what kind of glue do I have to get so this supposedly amazing and miraculous upgraded plastic bonds?

Plastic glue, I like Tamiya extra thin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Extra...87999707&sr=8-2

This the stuff?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is a huge game changer

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, please click the link below and consider participating in my little charity event. We're all bored in lockdown right now so I thought we might be able to channel that into something a little more productive. I will be donating money to a food bank for every model completed in the next couple of months. All you have to do to participate is post pictures of your models though other options will be available for those who'd like to do more. It is somewhat focused on 28mm stuff, but there are other categories available and if your models aren't represented, just let me know and we can work something out.

Full details in the thread, click the banner below to find out more:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Curious if we think it might be a good idea to make a new thread? I'm not sure if the op is still around but he hasn't posted in 2 years here and the original post is really out of date since it doesn't mention the clone wars stuff.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 5, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I would suggest just folding Legion back into the general Star Wars games thread. We might need a new one of those too.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I played Empire for a while when this first dropped, but got distracted with stuff until recently. What resources are there anymore for getting (re)started back into Legion? I havw 2x Empire Core sets, 2x Snow Troppers, Veers, AT-ST, Bossk , Boba, and Imperial Operatives. Any crucial things I need now?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basically everything that's come out since you stopped playing is great. Shoretroopers were THE thing for a while, but they got nerfed a bit so they're not as must-take anymore.

My favorite units to run that you don't have are probably scout troopers, since you can run a sniper team.

The emperor and royal guard make for fun gimmick lists.

edit: Since you have 4 squads of stormtroopers you probably want 1 or 2 stormtrooper upgrade sets, if you still want to run armies based around them.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Skirmish question, what size game can you reasonably fit on a 3x3 table?

Does it change gameplay significantly? Stuff like speeders is less useful with tighter spaces I guess.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Ugleb posted:

Skirmish question, what size game can you reasonably fit on a 3x3 table?

Does it change gameplay significantly? Stuff like speeders is less useful with tighter spaces I guess.

It’s 500pts per side I I remember correctly, and it limits unit choice a little more (only 1 heavy unit, 1 operative, etc) and you only play 5 rounds instead of 6.

Speeders can still be good if you use them well, and I’ve seen some people run an ATST with some success, though troop spam does seem to work out a little better, at least from what I remember of the local meta before quarantine shut everything down.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In skirmish snipers are notably less useful since they're way easier to get in range of and kill. Melee units are way more scary since they have an easier time getting into the thick of it and there's less total firepower on the board to focus into trying to bring down something like a lightsaber user quickly. Certain cards become tougher to use or less powerful; Vader's Darkness Descends is less useful since his speed isn't an issue on a small table, Veers and Leia's Maximum Firepower and Coordinated Bombardment respectively are more difficult to pull off efficiently since everything is so close, that kinda thing. Overall it makes close range tricks more feasible and effective, whether it's command card abilities or going for flamethrowers and shotguns on troopers instead of range 4 DLTs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I feel like fleet troopers would be lethal at that range.

I’ve had fun running Rex (at 90pts base), I think the cheaper commanders can start to shine. Mostly by allowing you to bring more troops, though.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

I feel like fleet troopers would be lethal at that range.

I’ve had fun running Rex (at 90pts base), I think the cheaper commanders can start to shine. Mostly by allowing you to bring more troops, though.

Do you think modifying the terrain count could help with Skirmish? For instance, instead of being on big open fields, make it snaking corridors through a ship? Yeah, Fleet Troopers are still good there, but the twists and turns could at least help the "standard" weapons like the E11 a bit. 40k Kill Team makes an Arena expansion that comes with a map like that complete with doors and obstacles.

Still trying to get back into it all, so maybe I'm way off base. :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Feeple posted:

Do you think modifying the terrain count could help with Skirmish? For instance, instead of being on big open fields, make it snaking corridors through a ship? Yeah, Fleet Troopers are still good there, but the twists and turns could at least help the "standard" weapons like the E11 a bit. 40k Kill Team makes an Arena expansion that comes with a map like that complete with doors and obstacles.

Still trying to get back into it all, so maybe I'm way off base. :)

Rules for terrain are slightly different between skirmish and regular. Skirmish has 1/3 of the play area covered with terrain, vs 1/4 of the play area for normal Legion. Playing it with the right amount of terrain and some of the different deployment conditions in skirmish makes it feel like even the short-range shooters can get in a round or two of blasting fools on the other side of the table. Last time I played (March :v: ) there was an utter bloodbath at range 2 or less, between my clones and opposing Rebels. Between fire support annihilating entire squads at once and Luke becoming the butcher he always wanted to be, there were less winners and only people who barely managed to survive the fight :getin:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sounds good. My small playgroup of 4-5 people who have all been good during lockdown, and are keeping safe, have begun meeting in a private space. We're going to look at learning (or re-learning in a couple cases,) Legion, and were planning on doing a Skirmish on Wednesday. I don't consider myself much of a tryhard, but I do want to be competent. :)

Does this look like a non-stupid list for that?

http://tabletopadmiral.com/legion/empire/p17u1au2bp05u13u0eu3au06p05uEMu43u25u06u41p05u07u0euEMuEMp02u02p28u26u02u74c08

I'm working with what I have in my collection, which is a lot of early Imperial stuff, so I don't have access to Stormtrooper Upgrade packs, Death or Shoretroopers. I also didn't want to be "that guy" and bring an AT-ST do a demo skirmish game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I’m wanting to get back to painting again...after plowing through most of these guys in about 3 weeks time.

Some of my old paints have dried out, so I’m in the market for new pots. Does anyone have any experience with contrast paints? I want to start back with shoretroopers/skirmish, and some variant of this list:

(500/500)
Empire

Iden Versio (100)
- Iden's TL-50 Repeater (15)
= 130 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Imperial Death Troopers (76)
- E-11D Focused Fire Config (8)
- DLT-19D Trooper (34)
= 118 total points

I’ve already got Iden (the easiest model I’ve ever painted :) ) and the DTs, so I’m looking for a scheme for shoretroopers that minimizes/eliminates painting white. I’ve got an army of snowtroopers and an army of clones done up in their standard colors, it’s time to branch out a bit.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, I’m wanting to get back to painting again...after plowing through most of these guys in about 3 weeks time.

Some of my old paints have dried out, so I’m in the market for new pots. Does anyone have any experience with contrast paints? I want to start back with shoretroopers/skirmish, and some variant of this list:

(500/500)
Empire

Iden Versio (100)
- Iden's TL-50 Repeater (15)
= 130 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Shoretroopers (52)
- T-21B Trooper (32)
= 84 total points

Imperial Death Troopers (76)
- E-11D Focused Fire Config (8)
- DLT-19D Trooper (34)
= 118 total points

I’ve already got Iden (the easiest model I’ve ever painted :) ) and the DTs, so I’m looking for a scheme for shoretroopers that minimizes/eliminates painting white. I’ve got an army of snowtroopers and an army of clones done up in their standard colors, it’s time to branch out a bit.

Shoretroopers are canonically Sandy bone color, so good news!

To paint them with Contrast, get the Skeleton Horde color. Black Templar the black bits. :)

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
The new things revealed look pretty good, though I’m sad that Anakin is not in his armor for this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nash posted:

The new things revealed look pretty good, though I’m sad that Anakin is not in his armor for this.

Where was this reveal?

Edit: Nvm found it. Gencon stream, not yet an article posting but it has the new armada and xwing stuff.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nash posted:

Buy the STL and send it to me and I'll print it for you:
https://gumroad.com/darkfiredesigns?sort=newest&tags=legion,singles#uGYV

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Nash posted:

Same, given that Obi-wan is in Clone Wars series armour it's a bit odd to put Anakin in movie robes.

Maul rocks, just hope those lightsabre blades aren't too fragile.

Also quite happy that Maul is an operative, when the rumours leaked that Anakin was a commander I thought Separatists were getting a third expensive commander.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 1, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finally getting around to my painting backlog starting with a SPACE TANK.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1305003512758140929?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cross-postin' a speeder:

TotalHell posted:

Posting my BARC Speeder that I just finished: