Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Bread 'n Roses:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3925790&pagenumber=170&perpage=40#post505966061

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Can't wait for BNR's Fallout New Vegas: New Thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout New Vegas: No-Barks, No Masters.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

How do I register? What's the invitation code?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vichan posted:

How do I register? What's the invitation code?

Crazycryodude posted:

Right now BnR is free even without an invite, just make an account and leave it alone when you hit the paywall screen. Someone will get around to manually approving you eventually, there's just a lot of refugees to work through.

If you want in ASAP or want to give them money then just pay the :10bux: but it's not required rn.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

If you like Discord, there's also the SA refugee server I made

https://discord.gg/8hHheqH

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For some reason this particular thread was the one I was going to miss the most. Now that it looks like the site has a shot at pulling through, I look forward to another ten years of thinking about and occasionally installing this dang game.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My pc died and all I have is a four year old MacBook. I haven’t figured out if installing Windows and Bootcamp will allow me to run New Vegas on it. It ran fine on my XP machine with 2 MB RAM but :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So we're all just going to say that this game was written by Josh Sawyer and Hatsune Miku right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can we not do the Hatsune Miku thing here?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Agents are GO! posted:

So we're all just going to say that this game was written by Josh Sawyer and Hatsune Miku right?
John Gonzalez was the creative lead and primary writer on the base game for F:NV. He later went on to work for Guerrilla on Horizon: Zero Dawn.

e: He also, notably, wrote the Survivalist logs for Honest Hearts.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Hastune Miku meme works for Minecraft because there's not really a narrative to unpack or dissect, but to do so with games like New Vegas is just irresponsible.

You can still enjoy the media made by lovely people but you just need to be able to be critical of it. Employing the Hastune Miku meme is basically a lovely attempt at forgoing being critical.

Also yeah like rope kid said, Avellone was only one of many that contributed to the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

rope kid posted:

John Gonzalez was the creative lead and primary writer on the base game for F:NV. He later went on to work for Guerrilla on Horizon: Zero Dawn.

No wonder I liked HZD so much. I really need to go back to that game, I got distracted by a shiny piece of ribbon and wandered away.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

rope kid posted:

when i first played hzd i got serious chills seing his name in the opening credits. man is an excellent writer

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

rope kid posted:

Gotta say in games I usually just scan through text to get the idea of what I need to learn but I read every single one of those logs. A great and tragic little story

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'm not getting a paywall screen though, it just refreshes the register page.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In the base game, Avellone wrote Cass and Lanius. All other characters were split between many other designers, with John writing most of the central/crit path characters.

In the DLCs, Avellone wrote all of the characters in Dead Money, some (most?) of the characters in Old World Blues (Travis Stout wrote some/many as well, IIRC), and all of the characters in Lonesome Road (IIRC). He also directed those three DLCs. I directed Honest Hearts and wrote Joshua Graham and Daniel. Travis Stout wrote most of the other HH characters (Follows-Chalk, Waking Cloud, etc.) and John wrote the Survivalist logs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Glad Avelone wasn't onboard for Honest Hearts, him having influence on Waking Cloud at all would have been a disaster.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Surprised to hear that Avellone wrote Cass considering I don't hate her. Though I suppose she's as much of a jaded cynic as any other character he writes so his style is obvious if you're looking for it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1277359488522047489?s=20

Huh.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 29, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

almost exactly the loving same lol

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rope kid posted:

Thanks for giving me yet another reason to look forward to HZD's PC release. The logs were ridiculously well written and engaged me so much more in that whole experience.

Also, I think about Honest Hearts a few times whenever I visit Zion. Still haven't seen any caves though :tinfoil:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
e; yuck

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 9, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I got Menshevik Internationalist.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

rope kid posted:

In the base game, Avellone wrote Cass and Lanius. All other characters were split between many other designers, with John writing most of the central/crit path characters.

In the DLCs, Avellone wrote all of the characters in Dead Money, some (most?) of the characters in Old World Blues (Travis Stout wrote some/many as well, IIRC), and all of the characters in Lonesome Road (IIRC). He also directed those three DLCs. I directed Honest Hearts and wrote Joshua Graham and Daniel. Travis Stout wrote most of the other HH characters (Follows-Chalk, Waking Cloud, etc.) and John wrote the Survivalist logs.

Its great knowing the names to watch for to anticipate good writing. Like I said I got goddanged chills when I saw John Gonzalzes name in the HZD credits. Game didnt disappoint. (of course it helps that Guerrila are far more sophisiticated than people think they are from Killzone)

Its a little off topic but while youre in the thread please for the love of god get in touch with Seth Dickenson and make a crpg in the Ashen Sea and the Imperial Masquerade and everything from the universe of the Baru Cormorant books. (the third one finally has a date, 8/11, go read them, theyre great). ill glady help and a blackmail/coerce/kill anyone in the way of it. for free.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1278734040552615939?s=19

Not sure if this will be bad, really bad, or absolutely loving awful

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Patrolling streaming services almost makes you wish for satellite television.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never been less excited about anything in my life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will Ron Perlman be in it I wonder.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's an incredibly easy payday, can't see why he wouldn't

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
maybe they didn’t ask him

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Eh. It's done by people who made Westworld and Person of Interest, which are both good to alright. I am cautiously optimistic.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It’s gonna be some mediocre character show with fallout references sprinkled in, episode 4 ends off with power armour being shown or some poo poo and reddit loses it

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1278734040552615939?s=19

Not sure if this will be bad, really bad, or absolutely loving awful

Not sure if this is because I'm wearing headphones but whoever balanced the audio for that clip needs a new profession. Good god.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I reckon a half-decent writer can take the Fallout setting and use it to make an entertaining tv show.

But if they’re going to try and tie it to the games it will probably end up as a ridiculous mess.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Raygereio posted:

I reckon a half-decent writer can take the Fallout setting and use it to make an entertaining tv show.

But if they’re going to try and tie it to the games it will probably end up as a ridiculous mess.

I wonder which game(s) they will use as a touchstone. If it's New Vegas or Fallout, they might be OK. If it's Fallout 3 or Brotherhood of Steel, we're in for some bad times.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder which game(s) they will use as a touchstone. If it's New Vegas or Fallout, they might be OK. If it's Fallout 3 or Brotherhood of Steel, we're in for some bad times.

Fallout 76 tv series :madmax:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
On the one hand, I fully expect it to be a low budget snoozefest like all those Netflix Marvel series that ran for a season or two. Power armor in episode four is optimistic, that's season finale material.

On the other hand, I have a beautiful vision of them giving it to an insane director who makes it true to the jankiness of the games. A random raider inexplicably catapults into the sky after being gunned down by the vault dweller. The vault dweller acquires a car but it suddenly vanishes in between episodes. In the big climax, the vault dweller takes every drug on the planet and shoots every single person in the enemy stronghold through the eye.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hope they just pick one of the states that the games haven't touched.

And don't put the loving BOS in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's gonna be Bethesda fallout. gotta tick those checkboxes. Brotherhood of Steel? check.