Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I'm shopping for a 34" curvy screen. I'll be driving it off of a 2020 13" MBP mostly for now, and eventually a yet-to-be-built from scratch pc, so I'm free to pick monitor first, and worry about getting the right graphics card to match later. (read, I don't much care FreeSync vs sync unless I should and you would like to tell me I'm a moron). It's going to be a general use monitor - a lot of schoolwork and web browsing, some basic photo stuff, gaming of the single player RPG sort, not the competitive FPS sort. etc. I had been eyeballing the Acer Alphabet Soup that the Wirecutter recommends, but prices have gone way up since I started shopping (I know I know, it's a terrible time to buy a monitor right now; I have reasons that I need to pull the trigger relatively soon)/ this particular display is basically never in stock anymore. I had started looking at comparable and saw The Dell U3419w, which seems pretty nice and the built in KVM stuff seems great, but the price is a fair bit over the upper end of my budget (which was around 600, but I'd like to be closer to 5, but, yeah, aforementioned bad time to buy a monitor). I also like the look of the LG 34WK95C, but again, price is a tad richer than I'd like.

All of which brings me to having found this Philips monitor, the 346B1C. I know it's a VA panel vs. the IPS on the other displays, but, for my use case, I don't think that represents a major downgrade. The built in KVM stuff seems like it's well setup as well, which is great. What am I missing here to account for the lower price / should I get out of my own head and pounce on what seems to be a great budget curvy boi monitor for my generalist uses? Tell me why this is a terrible mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hmmmm, I ordered the LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B on Amazon on Friday, and according to the tracking information, it hasn't shipped yet but it's somehow set to arrive tomorrow. I know it's been out of stock most of the time recently, but I didn't have any trouble finding it. I don't buy from Amazon often these days, does anyone know if it's common for things to show as in stock but really be backordered?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hmmmm, I ordered the LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B on Amazon on Friday, and according to the tracking information, it hasn't shipped yet but it's somehow set to arrive tomorrow. I know it's been out of stock most of the time recently, but I didn't have any trouble finding it. I don't buy from Amazon often these days, does anyone know if it's common for things to show as in stock but really be backordered?

You probably live right near to a warehouse and it’ll most likely ship tonight to deliver to you tomorrow.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
If all i really use my PC for is wow, and browsing the internet, do i really need to worry about 144hz? My PC only runs wow at 60odd fps at best.

Basically, my work have offered to buy me a monitor for working at home, figured i would upgrade my PC monitor, use my current PC one for work and they would chip in.

Dont really want to spend much more than £250 ideally, and i like the look of an ultrawide monitor. Am i just shooting myself in the foot? was looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Electro...DVS35H6RM8XCSYX

The other thing i was worried about was whether my Graphics card would handle it, given its not exactly new. its a Radeon HD7800, whatever that is.

Help me, i dont computer good.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I will say WoW is much more enjoyable the higher FPS you can go. Not sure about what that GPU can do but it's a big difference and worth figuring it out if there's a way IMO.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HD7800 should get wow to at least 144hx at 1080p, not sure about at 1440p

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

HD7800 should get wow to at least 144hx at 1080p, not sure about at 1440p

Sounds like it might be worth me ditching the ultrawide screen dream, then (i read back further in the thread and someone said theyre not worth it on a budget).

These seem to come up in a lot of reviews on the web, 144hz and its within budget.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-C24G1-...965&sr=8-5&th=1

Not going to be amazing compared to what a lot of you guys have, but would be an upgrade and wont cost me much.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You probably live right near to a warehouse and it’ll most likely ship tonight to deliver to you tomorrow.

You were right. It arrived and it is my new God, thanks for the recommendation everybody

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I’ve got a question about HDMI 2.1 and another one about (theoretical) Freesync support for the RTX 3XXX series of graphics cards. I also want to get a sanity check to make sure there aren’t any flaws in my reasoning here:

So I currently have a Dell S2417DG. It’s a 24” 1440p 165hz TN panel. I have a 1060 6GB that lets me run stuff like Apex Legends on high/ultra at ~45 FPS and if I crank stuff down to medium I can push ~90 FPS.

I’m strongly considering upgrading to a LG 27gl83a‑b. It’s a 27” 144hz IPS panel. I don’t care about going down from 165hz to 144, I like having a slightly bigger screen, and the IPS is attractive to me because of (what I assume will be) better color and viewing angles. The color banding on dark images is also really bad on the TN panel. I know I’m potentially opening myself up to IPS glow and reduced contrast, but I think the pros outweigh the cons for me. (Anyone made this jump or similar and have thoughts?)

I am also feeling pretty constrained by my 1060. I will very likely get a RTX 3080 soon after they come out, like late this year. I like playing AAA games with the settings turned up - I want Cyberpunk 2077 to look really good.

So, my questions are, basically, assuming I’m on the right track with all the above, what will it be like to have a 3080 with my new LG 27gl83a‑b? Am I right assuming that as long as I’m staying at 1440p 144hz, HDMI 2.1 is irrelevant to me and thus I won’t care that my new GPU will (probably) have it but my monitor won’t?

Probably my bigger concern is, will the RTX 3080 play nice with the freesync/gsync-lite on the LG?

I know that second question probably doesn’t have a definitely answer, but y’all are super knowledgeable and I’m wondering if people have guesses or thoughts?

I’m hoping the answer is it’ll be fine, and then I can be happy with rock solid 1440p while OLED or micro-LED sorts itself out. If that took 4 years, that’d be fine by me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The main benefit of HDMI 2.1/DP 2.0 is having enough bandwidth to properly drive 4k high refresh monitors. For a resolution/refresh rate/bit depth combination that already fits on DP 1.4, they're completely irrelevant.

It's incredibly unlikely that Nvidia's going to release new GPUs with worse Freesync support than their current GPUs.

As far as the monitor switch goes... to me I guess it would come down to how much money you can get for your existing monitor. Personally I'd probably be waiting because while I would definitely consider it an upgrade, I don't think I'd consider it enough of an upgrade to be worth the money. I think a lot of us are in that "oh I'll just wait for good OLED/MicroLED displays to come along" mindset but the reality is that it's likely to be a long drat time before we get the real unicorn poo poo of VRR *LED with proper rolling scan, so 4k LCDs are likely going to have their day in the sun for a few years and IDK if I want to plan on missing out.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for the quick response!

What would 4K LCD “day in the sun” provide over something like the LG, besides increased resolution? It seems like we’re maybe on track for 4K 144hz LCD to be reasonable/good sometime next year? Is there a chance the IPS on this theoretical 4K screen would be better (in terms of color) than the LG panel?

I’ve used a 4K LCD screen before and while the bump from 1440p was nice, it wasn’t mind-blowing to me. OLED screens, on the other hand, make me salivate. I use my monitor as a TV and movie watcher too, so color and viewing angles are pretty important to me.

From what I can tell, I think I could get like $200 for the old dell. The LG is $380 on Amazon. Call it $200, plus time, for the upgrade.

Like you said, I guess this is a similar place a lot of people are in. Somewhat similarly, I was almost immediately mildly disappointed with my 1060 when I upgraded to 1440p about 2 years ago. But I toughed it out all through the 2000 series since people smarter than me were saying it seemed like the 2000 series was kind of a dud. Maybe I should do the same with the monitor and just wait until 4K is a thing....

This all started because I decided to get into PC building and gaming smack in the middle of the bitcoin nonsense. I think I paid something obscene like $350 for the (used) 1060, and have felt like I’ve been stuck in the wrong tier of hardware ever since.

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 2, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lackmaster posted:

I think I paid something obscene like $350 for the (used) 1060, and have felt like I’ve been stuck in the wrong tier of hardware ever since.

It was very strange watching the used prices of my 1060 climb and climb to where 1+ year after I owned it I could have made $100 if I'd tossed it on ebay

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Lackmaster posted:

Probably my bigger concern is, will the RTX 3080 play nice with the freesync/gsync-lite on the LG?

It's all seamless. You plug the monitor in and the Nvidia control panel will automatically recognize it as Gsync compatible and turn it on. And with a 3080 you'll probably rarely (if ever) dip below 144fps at 1440p.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Is there a recommended maximum size you should consider for a 1080p monitor? Currently looking at both 24 and 27 inch, but would be nice to go bigger than my current monitor so it feels like more of an upgrade.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Lackmaster posted:

Thanks for the quick response!

What would 4K LCD “day in the sun” provide over something like the LG, besides increased resolution? It seems like we’re maybe on track for 4K 144hz LCD to be reasonable/good sometime next year? Is there a chance the IPS on this theoretical 4K screen would be better (in terms of color) than the LG panel?

It's mostly just the resolution. 4k is going to be "the" resolution for quite a while, the same way 1080p was. I expect to see good 4k/144hz LCDs next year, but I'm really not sure how quickly prices will come down. On the one hand, new monitors resolutions tend to stay expensive, on the other hand, 4k is a very standard and widespread resolution and I think every panel and monitor manufacturer will be getting heavily into the space so prices may come down to reasonable levels quickly. It's impossible to predict. It is a safe bet that there will be panels with better contrast than current LG gaming panels, aside from that I wouldn't expect major differences. It's really up to you to make a judgement based on whatever information you can get your hands on that matters to you.

Roblo posted:

Is there a recommended maximum size you should consider for a 1080p monitor? Currently looking at both 24 and 27 inch, but would be nice to go bigger than my current monitor so it feels like more of an upgrade.

Some people don't like over 24" at 1080p, some people are fine with 27". No one can really tell you how you'll feel. Personally I'd favor 24", especially since I think you're looking at 1080p 144hz options and there are several fairly good ones at reasonable prices. The AOC 24G2, Asus VP249QGR, and Acer VG240Y P. If you wind up going toward the Acer, be careful. Any time you are looking at an Acer monitor, be really sure it's the specific version you want, especially if it seems cheap. Their monitor naming conventions are absolutely awful, and they constantly put out multiple monitors with almost identical names but important differences between them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roblo posted:

How far do you sit from the monitor?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Some people don't like over 24" at 1080p, some people are fine with 27". No one can really tell you how you'll feel. Personally I'd favor 24", especially since I think you're looking at 1080p 144hz options and there are several fairly good ones at reasonable prices. The AOC 24G2, Asus VP249QGR, and Acer VG240Y P. If you wind up going toward the Acer, be careful. Any time you are looking at an Acer monitor, be really sure it's the specific version you want, especially if it seems cheap. Their monitor naming conventions are absolutely awful, and they constantly put out multiple monitors with almost identical names but important differences between them.

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

I was looking at the AOC 24", but delivery is currently 1-2 months.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-C24G1-...=8-6&th=1&psc=1

This LG is on offer at the moment, both 24 and 27" options. Seems equivalent to the best of my knowledge?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Ultrage...8-12&th=1&psc=1

^^erm normal sort of distance, I guess. It's a normal desk. So not far, which I guess suggests 24" is better.

So easy to just go "ooh I can get this amount bigger for only this much", which isn't maybe the best idea.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Roblo posted:

24.5". 27" is way too undetailed, 24.5" is already pushing it.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

ufarn posted:

24.5". 27" is way too undetailed, 24.5" is already pushing it.

This depends on how close you are to the screen. I personally don't care for that "screen door" effect anymore, now that I have 4k screens at work, but I used to actually prefer it.

I sit very close to the screens at work, but at home I'm far enough away from my 24" 1200p screens that I don't see each pixel.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a new computer and I got a new monitor with it - this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IOO4SGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried to hook it up with displayport but it seems very wonky so I switched to a high speed HDMI cable - this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T0YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I first plugged it into displayport, it worked but then when i booted it up the next day it did not work. I switched to HDMI and it's been fine for the last day. My PC has a super 2060 RTX. I have tested the video card's displayports plugs with another monitor and they work - (secondary monitor with a hdmi to displayport adapter)

From what I have read, I need displayport for optimal game settings and gsync. Is that right? Is there a way to fix/troubleshoot my monitor or should I return it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You should be glad it's broken and return it because $409 is way too much for that monitor in 2020.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SopWATh posted:

This depends on how close you are to the screen. I personally don't care for that "screen door" effect anymore, now that I have 4k screens at work, but I used to actually prefer it.

I sit very close to the screens at work, but at home I'm far enough away from my 24" 1200p screens that I don't see each pixel.
I think the whole "seeing each pixel" thing is mostly some argument back from 720/1080p TVs. It's not about pixel density as much as it's just the detail resolution. Stuff like emoji etc get very imperceptible on my 1080p compared to, say, mobile devices.

Apple did a good job of using "Retina" as a term to advance the discussion, and obviously there's much higher DPIs out there than Retina now.

For text, 1080p at 24.5" is fine, but it does feel long in the tooth in some cases.

I still don't know whether I want to upgrade my 1080p60 monitor to a really fast 1080p or a 1440p at this point because of how irregular gaming performance is.

Granted, my monitor is basically calibrated, and blasting your retinas with bright uncalibrated monitors probably compensates for some shortcomings of 1080p in office settings and whatnot.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

K8.0 posted:

You should be glad it's broken and return it because $409 is way too much for that monitor in 2020.

It was $350 when I ordered it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to pull the trigger on an 27GL83A. Black uniformity and contrast be damned, most people viewing my websites I create are doing it on phones or lovely monitors anyway. It really seems like the best all-around monitor for 27" / 2560 x 1440 / 144hz under $400.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Hey goons, I could use a recommendation for some monitors. I want to get two of them for use in both gaming and for work. My budget is about $700 or so. I currently use this https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01604006. I use two computers:

One is a MacBook pro for work with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory. I am a software developer and work in both web and ios development.

The other is my gaming desktop. I have a NVidia GTX 1660 SUPER. I mostly play WoW and rocket league but with a nicer monitor I might like to try out some more modern games like the newest Assassins Creed and such.

My main question is do I want some crazy 4k monitors with 144hz refresh or would some nice 1080 monitors with 60hz be fine? I also have no idea what brands are good now. I'd like one that also has a good monitor stand to attach the two monitors to so monitors with minimum bezel would be nice. A recommendation for a good dual monitor stand would be great too.

Please help ohh knowledgeable goons.

Maed fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Statutory Ape posted:

It was very strange watching the used prices of my 1060 climb and climb to where 1+ year after I owned it I could have made $100 if I'd tossed it on ebay

the problem becomes "what do you replace it with". Cause sure a 1060 sold for a ridiculous amount but it's not like you could pivot that cash and buy a Vega or a 1080 instead, those were inflated too.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Roblo posted:

I use a 27" 1080p IPS at work, and a 15" 4k IPS laptop at home. The work screen is pushed back against the wall so I have room on my desk to look at documents and still have the keyboard in front of me. At home, my laptop is on a raised angled stand above my keyboard, very close to me.

I like not having to deal with high-dpi issues with the monitor at work. Honestly I like the 1080 better. I have my laptop switch to 1080 when I'm gaming at home because its GTX1060 has a much easier time with that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

It was $350 when I ordered it.

Point is that's not a monitor you should be buying in 2020 unless you could get it very cheaply. It's a 24" TN panel, not ideal. Around $350 puts you in the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS market, which should be a lot more satisfying to the eyes. The LG 27GL83A is the current most frequently recommended option, and it comes in at $375.

Maed posted:

Hey goons, I could use a recommendation for some monitors. I want to get two of them for use in both gaming and for work. My budget is about $700 or so. I currently use this https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01604006. I use two computers:

One is a MacBook pro for work with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory. I am a software developer and work in both web and ios development.

The other is my gaming desktop. I have a NVidia GTX 1660 SUPER. I mostly play WoW and rocket league but with a nicer monitor I might like to try out some more modern games like the newest Assassins Creed and such.

My main question is do I want some crazy 4k monitors with 144hz refresh or would some nice 1080 monitors with 60hz be fine? I also have no idea what brands are good now. I'd like one that also has a good monitor stand to attach the two monitors to so monitors with minimum bezel would be nice. A recommendation for a good dual monitor stand would be great too.

Please help ohh knowledgeable goons.

There's no magic bullet monitor that is best for both your needs right now. Any two identical monitors would be pretty compromised for one purpose or the other. You could probably fit a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor (ideal price:performance for gaming) and a 27" 4k60 IPS or VA monitor (ideal for both coding and layout work) into your budget, and that would cover you nicely on both fronts, but connectivity to run two monitors off the laptop might be a problem, and you would have to deal with different DPI on the monitors as well as probably differing aesthetics. What does the MBP have for outputs?

Also I will note that any modern IPS or VA display is going to be an ENORMOUS upgrade over a 9 year old TN panel. Whatever direction you wind up going, upgrading is absolutely the right more.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 3, 2020

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

K8.0 posted:

There's no magic bullet monitor that is best for both your needs right now. Any two identical monitors would be pretty compromised for one purpose or the other. You could probably fit a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor (ideal price:performance for gaming) and a 27" 4k60 IPS or VA monitor (ideal for both coding and layout work) into your budget, and that would cover you nicely on both fronts, but connectivity to run two monitors off the laptop might be a problem, and you would have to deal with different DPI on the monitors as well as probably differing aesthetics. What does the MBP have for outputs?

Also I will note that any modern IPS or VA display is going to be an ENORMOUS upgrade over a 9 year old TN panel. Whatever direction you wind up going, upgrading is absolutely the right more.

It has 4 USB C ports for outputs though I'll probably pick up a dock for it. I think two different ones would work fine. What brands are the best right now?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Is there anything horribly wrong with the LG 32QK500? It’s a lot of monitor for the price and I don’t care about super-high refresh rates. The only thing I notice is the brightness is a bit low.

I ended up pulling the trigger on this when they restocked, CAD $300 at Costco.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Maed posted:

It has 4 USB C ports for outputs though I'll probably pick up a dock for it. I think two different ones would work fine. What brands are the best right now?

Well availability is limited so more than usual the LG 27GL83A is the obvious choice on the gaming monitor side. The contrast is its one downside but given what you're coming from and the fact that it's good in every other regard I doubt you'll mind. 27" 4k 60hz IPS are pretty commoditized, you can search 4k IPS on amazon and any decently reviewed monitor that has the features you want should make you happy. A 100mm VESA mount is obviously a must for your goals, aside from that IDK. My only concern would be what you can drive out of the dock, since there's only so much bandwidth a single USB/TB connection can provide. You may need to settle for running the 1440p monitor at 60hz on the Mac, but that probably wouldn't be the end of the world since you're not gaming on it anyway.

e - also as far as monitor stands go, it depends on your desk setup, but I believe a lot of people have found the amazonbasics dual monitor stands to be good options for 2x27"

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 3, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on this when they restocked, CAD $300 at Costco.

That's an amazing monitor for the money.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Well availability is limited so more than usual the LG 27GL83A is the obvious choice on the gaming monitor side. The contrast is its one downside but given what you're coming from and the fact that it's good in every other regard I doubt you'll mind. 27" 4k 60hz IPS are pretty commoditized, you can search 4k IPS on amazon and any decently reviewed monitor that has the features you want should make you happy. A 100mm VESA mount is obviously a must for your goals, aside from that IDK. My only concern would be what you can drive out of the dock, since there's only so much bandwidth a single USB/TB connection can provide. You may need to settle for running the 1440p monitor at 60hz on the Mac, but that probably wouldn't be the end of the world since you're not gaming on it anyway.

e - also as far as monitor stands go, it depends on your desk setup, but I believe a lot of people have found the amazonbasics dual monitor stands to be good options for 2x27"

Awesome thank you so much.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I need a little help, am I missing something here? If I can spare the extra $20 is there any reason not to buy the 27GN750-B ($396.99) over the 27GL83A-B ($379.99)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0841787BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's 1080p instead of 1440p. Unless you're a pro CSGO or Overwatch player, the res for refresh rate tradeoff is probably not worth it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

lol there we go, sticking with the 27GL83A-B then. Thanks!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hi, displaygoons! I currently have a PC with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti, and to it a single Dell S2716DGR 27" monitor is connected. I would like to get a second monitor. If I don't plan on replacing my first monitor (and I don't, it still works great for gaming or just everyday internet), then would it be a good idea to stay in the same "line" of monitors? It looks like the S2719 is the new one so I could just go with one of those, but I wanted to get a few opinions first. Thank you!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The only advantage you get by staying with the same/similar one is that it should be aesthetically similar and hopefully easy to match up in terms of height and what not. If you don't care about that, there's no real gain.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Can anyone recommend a ~43-inch 4k monitor? I'm looking to upgrade from a 27" 1440p IPS, mostly for coding and graphics work and some gaming. Faster refresh would be great, and HDR would probably be nice but I'm not sure how good support is. My budget is up to about $1500 but it looks like there are options around half that with fewer features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

loaf posted:

Can anyone recommend a ~43-inch 4k monitor? I'm looking to upgrade from a 27" 1440p IPS, mostly for coding and graphics work and some gaming. Faster refresh would be great, and HDR would probably be nice but I'm not sure how good support is. My budget is up to about $1500 but it looks like there are options around half that with fewer features.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&F=1066800000,1102360000&sort=price&page=1

I'd limit to IPS which gives you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&F=1066800000,1102360000&sort=price&P=2

probably that acer.

for HDR capable panels, you're going to need VA instead of IPS, which implies much worse response times, but here's that:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&F=1066800000,1102360000&sort=price&B=600,1200

Don't get too caught up in that "120 hz" refresh rate, VA is not really fast enough to deliver more than about 40-50 hz of motion clarity anyway.