Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The White Dragon posted:

does cyber sleuth let you get away with using lower-tier evolutions or do they have level/stat caps that make them unusable after a certain point like pokemon?

Every Digimon has stat caps and set stat growths. You could probably beat the game with a team of Champion level Digimon but you're pretty much SOL if you want to use forms lower than that just because of how awful their stats will be in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cyber sleuth becomes a much better game if you cheat in higher run speed. i don't know what the heck they were thinking with that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

Every Digimon has stat caps and set stat growths. You could probably beat the game with a team of Champion level Digimon but you're pretty much SOL if you want to use forms lower than that just because of how awful their stats will be in comparison.

well let's say i only use like one or two rookies and the rest higher rank would that be ok? i haven't really kept up with the series in over a decade but i'd still like to use my favorites if i can

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the reason the P5 theme-as-antagonist sucks is because power discrepancy is actually responsible for a lot of real-world suffering so it's a hugely personal conflict to write a game around, and in reality it's perpetrated by actual trashfire people who never get their comeuppance and even conversation about whether or not they should is hot-button and controversial.

so when it gets swept away for humanity's collective subservience as a villain it's very unsatisfying, because in the real world Shido/Kamoshida/The Guy who Cheats at CoD aren't 'distorted' or resisting some greater call to collective bootlicking, they're just poo poo, the people who let them get away with it are poo poo, and writing around it was always going to feel cowardly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

cyber sleuth becomes a much better game if you cheat in higher run speed. i don't know what the heck they were thinking with that.

Hackers memory has one of the skills be this and it makes it so much easier to get around lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The White Dragon posted:

well let's say i only use like one or two rookies and the rest higher rank would that be ok? i haven't really kept up with the series in over a decade but i'd still like to use my favorites if i can

I mean you should be fine. You can have up to nine Digimon in your party with each taking up a variable 2-25 'memory' points. You start the he with 25 total Capacity and get upgrades after certain story triggers. If you just want to have like 2 Rookies in addition to a core of others then you can easily cart them along and it won't be a problem

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cool thanks everybody. i've wanted to play a digimon game since the first one came out on the playstation but we never got that, and the games in bewteen never really interested me until cyber sleuth, or maybe the one just before it. so i guess i'm going to have a lot of space to learn and put in really powerful characters alongside the lovely rookies and champions i remember

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RottenK posted:

i feel like this is unfair to disco elysium, which is legit a cool and well written RPG and not chapo: the game (thank god)

not sure if i want the devs to make persona though, that really doesn't feels like a good fit, even if the result would probably be, if nothing else, fascinating

A Persona style game as written by Eastern European marxists would be incredible.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

RottenK posted:

i feel like this is unfair to disco elysium, which is legit a cool and well written RPG and not chapo: the game (thank god)

ZA/UM got the Chapos to work for free by convincing them no one would buy the game, and cast them as union thugs, so I really see their involvement as the result of a prank Lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

an actual dog posted:

ZA/UM got the Chapos to work for free by convincing them no one would buy the game, and cast them as union thugs, so I really see their involvement as the result of a prank Lol

https://twitter.com/studiozaum/status/1184592958731051009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

people needing to invent weird reasons to 'excuse' people they dont like in a game they do like is pretty lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

people needing to invent weird reasons to 'excuse' people they dont like in a game they do like is pretty lol

But no you see it's a Good Game and not a Bad Game so any aspects people disagree with are actually 1000 layer deconstructions which people didn't get.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't dislike either I just think the story is funny, sorry

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Probably should have been clearer that it's my crackpot theory.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Any good RPGs similar to the original 'Phantasy Star?' I LOVED the Switch port and I can't 100% place why - perhaps the first-person maze exploration? I tried the sequels, but they didn't do it for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ControlV posted:

Any good RPGs similar to the original 'Phantasy Star?' I LOVED the Switch port and I can't 100% place why - perhaps the first-person maze exploration? I tried the sequels, but they didn't do it for me.

There are quite a few. Do you want something with more of a plot/premade character focus like PS or is branching out to more Wizardry-style stuff OK?

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

There are quite a few. Do you want something with more of a plot/premade character focus like PS or is branching out to more Wizardry-style stuff OK?

Oh, good! I suppose the former - I don't really have any experience with 'Wizardry stuff' so can't say for certain on that front.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

ControlV posted:

Oh, good! I suppose the former - I don't really have any experience with 'Wizardry stuff' so can't say for certain on that front.

Labyrinth of Refrain maybe? Or if you have other consoles besides the switch, Demon Gaze 1 or 2?

You won't get the overworld from PS, but you will get first-person maze exploration and battles.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 3, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ControlV posted:

Shining in the Darkness, maybe? It's in the similar vein of first-person dungeon crawlers simplified for playability on console.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CYBEReris posted:

Shining in the Darkness, maybe? It's in the similar vein of first-person dungeon crawlers simplified for playability on console.

Or Shining and the Holy Ark

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i forgot that the chapos actually played some characters in DE, so i think i misunderstood what Endorph meant lol

i don't think that anyone's trying to excuse their presence, its funny and they're not even the only people popular among the online left who voiced something, there's at least one other character

RottenK fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 3, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ControlV posted:

megami tensei

there are a lot of old western rpgs that are first person tile-based dungeon crawlers too, but i don't know if i can in good conscience recommend many of them as they tend to be overly obtuse and/or grindy.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 3, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Legend of Grimrock is pretty good. Most people prefer the sequel, but I haven't played it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Legend of Grimrock 1/2 ain't bad, for that sort of thing. You might also like Operencia, I think its still on gamepass too, which really clicked with me but has some admittedly rough edges but full of eastern european charm.

The issue is a lot of First Person dungeon crawlers gave up the overworld as time progressed and discarded the narrative so if those pieces are important it can be tricky

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

please god tell me how to do this, I used cheat engine but it just speeds up the animation. This would really improve the game for me.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Both Grimrock games are good but have very little story.

My only real gameplay complaint about the second one is that the guns felt very underwhelming as a weapon class.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 3, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Barudak posted:

Legend of Grimrock 1/2 ain't bad, for that sort of thing. You might also like Operencia, I think its still on gamepass too, which really clicked with me but has some admittedly rough edges but full of eastern european charm.

The issue is a lot of First Person dungeon crawlers gave up the overworld as time progressed and discarded the narrative so if those pieces are important it can be tricky

I really wish that Might and Magic 6/7/8 were the games that they were emulating with these new dungeon crawlers.
They're my favourite of the lot and there's honestly nothing like them any more.

In Brigandine news I think I've decided to drop it. Bit sad that it cost me £45 to discover this but I hate the permadeath side of the battles and losing high level creatures is just too much for me. The demo implied it was easy to res creatures but it totally isn't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also don't listen to anyone's lies, Bards Tale IV should be avoided at all costs in this genre

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mirello posted:

please god tell me how to do this, I used cheat engine but it just speeds up the animation. This would really improve the game for me.

it's in one of the tables. i didn't try to use the speedhack option.

edit: looking it up, it is under pointers. run speed is listed as a number, and you just increase that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 3, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ControlV posted:

If you have a 3DS you should check out Etrian Odyssey V. One will probably come oout on the Switch eventually too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Also don't listen to anyone's lies, Bards Tale IV should be avoided at all costs in this genre

The reviews on steam are really mixed, but the negative ones are the most detailed which USUALLY means it's a bad game.
Why did you hate it so much? Am I going to regret asking you this.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Taear posted:

The reviews on steam are really mixed, but the negative ones are the most detailed which USUALLY means it's a bad game.
Why did you hate it so much? Am I going to regret asking you this.

Search their posts and go back a couple pages, the saga of it's shittiness is detailed

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Counterpoint to Barudak, I can see someone who likes puzzles and rocket tag combat having an ok time with Bard's Tale 4. But I wouldn't recommend it over the slew of better RPGs out there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just grab Bard's Tale 1-3 off of GOG/Steam if you want an old school dungeon crawler. The trilogy on GOG is a remastered version so you aren't stuck looking at pre-VGA era graphics while listening to your computer beep at you for sound effects.

Or get Silversword on iOS because it's Bard's Tale with the serial numbers only partially filed off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr i dont even dislike chapo that much, like i dont like them but i dont think theyre evil or anything and dont care theyre in de. i just thought it was a funny joke. the concept of chapo trap house people voicing persona characters is funny

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I played bards tale to death when it was new on the Amstrad CPC464, I can't imagine playing it again.
The magic would be gone.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Sometimes Food posted:

If you have a 3DS you should check out Etrian Odyssey V. One will probably come oout on the Switch eventually too.

EO5 is great but the true final boss is a lot of planning and then a lot of soft resetting because of rng. it's a pretty challenging game, and you need to have patience to complete it. EO4 is much easier by comparison, but i really liked the PC variety and customization options in 5

gently caress im gonna talk myself into buying eo:x if i dont shut up right now

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

EO5 is great but the true final boss is a lot of planning and then a lot of soft resetting because of rng. it's a pretty challenging game, and you need to have patience to complete it. EO4 is much easier by comparison, but i really liked the PC variety and customization options in 5

This is a fair point EO4 might be a better start. I just love the complexity in 5. But that might be cause it was not my first EO.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Does the EO5 boss read your inputs like the one in EO3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zushio posted:

Legend of Grimrock is pretty good. Most people prefer the sequel, but I haven't played it.

grimrock is a dungeon-master-like which is a genre that branched off of regular dungeon crawlers; the defining difference is that dungeon master and its line are real-time while a standard dungeon crawler is mostly turn-based. people tend to either love or hate this style of gameplay, but it is definitely not similar to phantasy star