Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Larryb posted:

So in terms of actual shows, how many Lupin seasons have there been up to now? Also, is Lupin the longest running series (that's still running at least) in Japan (I know the original manga started sometime back in the 70's or so at least)?

Sazae-san beats Lupin by a couple years, having first aired in '69. Sazae-san has also been running continuously and so has an episode count of around 2500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a new trailer for Soul, presumably to show off the new release date (11/20/20), but it's probably no accident that it also focuses way more on the "being black in America" stuff and has basically none of the supernatural stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYcwbEL-pg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

So in terms of actual shows, how many Lupin seasons have there been up to now? Also, is Lupin the longest running series (that's still running at least) in Japan (I know the original manga started sometime back in the 70's or so at least)?

there's five separate series that aren't really divided into seasons (though parts 4 and 5 are more related to each other than usual, and can be taken as seasons 1 and 2 of "2010s Lupin" if you want)

also, it's not even close unless you just go purely by how much time it's been running for. by pure episode count, Sazae-san, Doraemon and Kochikame all blow it out of the water. there was also a pretty long period of time from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s where the franchise more or less only existed as yearly TV specials and the occasional theatrical movie or OVA.

e: each individual Lupin series, with the exception of 4 and 5 (where 5 is basically just a sequel to 4), is more or less an entirely different take on the character.

part 1, "green jacket" Lupin, is a little more serious than you might be expecting, has Lupin act like kind of a legit rear end in a top hat, and was actually the first anime ever to target a straight-up adult audience (it aired in 1971, to give you an idea). it only ran for 23 episodes and is worth checking out if you have Crunchyroll, if only so that you have more of an understanding of where Woman Called Fujiko Mine and similar are coming from with their tone (the Koike stuff is 100% riffing on Green Jacket).

part 2, "red jacket" Lupin (the one you probably know from 2000s-era Adult Swim), is a lot more comedic and kid-friendly (by Japanese standards- there's still a lot of sex jokes, though the violence is toned down). it's also legit loving hilarious and awesome and probably my actual favorite anime series of all time. i'm not kidding when i say i can just throw on any random episode and suddenly i'm instantly in a better mood. there was a while that I was thinking that was just because I associate the show so heavily with staying up too late as an 8-year-old, but no, red jacket Lupin loving rules. this one ran for three straight years and only missed three weeks out of that time, meaning 155 episodes; it's also the only classic Lupin series to have an English dub that I'm aware of, and you should absolutely watch it dubbed even if you're ordinarily a sub purist.

part 3, "pink jacket" Lupin, is weird as hell, not very good, and you can probably safely ignore it.

part 4 (aka The Italian Adventure) and part 5 are essentially a modern reboot of the concept that hews somewhere between 1 and 2 in tone; they're worth checking out but i wouldn't suggest them as your first Lupin experience unless you're super against old animation, just because they're frankly not quite on the level of the old stuff.

now, if you liked Redline, and if you're in this thread and you don't like Redline you're a crazy person, you should 100% check out The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and the Takeshi Koike-directed movies that follow it up (Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen, Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood, and Fujiko Mine's Lie). hell, even if you're not super into Lupin, you should check them out because they're just flat-out rad as gently caress and absolutely gorgeous. the one caveat i can really say is that, since they're riffing on the tone of Green Jacket and the original manga, they're dark as gently caress compared to what you might expect if you're mostly familiar with part 2.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 28, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a new trailer for Soul, presumably to show off the new release date (11/20/20), but it's probably no accident that it also focuses way more on the "being black in America" stuff and has basically none of the supernatural stuff.

This was a very nice trailer. Movies the day before my B-day too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like you're giving too much credit to the trailer by saying that it focuses, or even mentions, "being black in America".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like you're giving too much credit to the trailer by saying that it focuses, or even mentions, "being black in America".

I wasn't sure how else to put it, I mean obviously it's not like he gets pulled over and beaten or whatever, but you can definitely sense a mandate of "show more black stuff"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Two more questions regarding Lupin:

1: Are the current 5 seasons connected to one another beyond featuring the same characters (such as direct references, callbacks, internal continuity, etc) or can you pretty much jump in from wherever you like?

2: Is A Woman Called Fujiko Mine also connected with the main anime (like, is it a prequel or something)?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Larryb posted:

1: Are the current 5 seasons connected to one another beyond featuring the same characters (such as direct references, callbacks, internal continuity, etc) or can you pretty much jump in from wherever you like?

2: Is A Woman Called Fujiko Mine also connected with the main anime (like, is it a prequel or something)?

They're mostly unconnected. WCFM is especially unconnected.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they reference each other but mostly in a fanservice way. like part 5 having an episode that blatantly calls back to the part 3 style, or the eyecatches in part 4 referencing an iconic part 1 villain. i know one of the more recent series did a prison break episode that was also a part 1 callback, etc. plenty of examples like that which don't really hurt an out of order watcher.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are any of the movies canon to the series or are they largely their own thing?

Speaking of movies, aside from Castle of Cagliostro are there any other Lupin films you’d recommend?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everything is its own thing. Even most of the episodes are effectively standalone.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Sir Lemming posted:

I wasn't sure how else to put it, I mean obviously it's not like he gets pulled over and beaten or whatever, but you can definitely sense a mandate of "show more black stuff"

That, I will give you. There is some sort of representation here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I started She-Ra at the suggestion of a friend. Binged the first season today. Love it. I especially loved the giant gently caress off rainbow that obliterated Catra's army in the S1 finale, lmao. Fun characters and cute art style :allears: Think Ima be watching the rest of the series with a few friends in Discord :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh you're going to have such fun if you enjoyed that.

Totally sticks the landing at the end. Enjoy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is anyone else watching Kipo and the Wonderbeasts? Just started it randomly with my daughter and it whips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UHUbpFTtY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

1: parts 1-4 are only very vaguely connected to each other and you can pretty much jump in wherever you like with those. part 5 is basically a second season of part 4, and while you can jump in on it and pretty much follow along, you should really watch part 4 before 5.

2: Woman Called Fujiko Mine and the Koike movies aren't directly connected to anything else in the franchise and are sort of an alternate-universe gritty reboot.

Larryb posted:

Are any of the movies canon to the series or are they largely their own thing?

Speaking of movies, aside from Castle of Cagliostro are there any other Lupin films you’d recommend?

none of the movies are canon to any of the series, though they're usually similar to whatever series was currently running at the time (and if none was, they pretty much just pick a previous one at random to pattern it off of).

Legend of the Gold of Babylon is worth checking out; make sure and look up who directed it at some point, because if you're a cinephile you're going to loving poo poo yourself when you find out. Island of Assassins is fun. The movies by Takeshi Koike follow up Woman Called Fujiko Mine, but you can understand them fine without it and they're incredibly worth watching.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Asking where to start with Lupin III is over-complicating it. It's like asking where to start with Looney Toons or James Bond. Jump in wherever, enjoy the ride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Which one has the spring-loaded boxing glove vagina?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The intro to part 2. I don't remember if that ever actually happens in the show or not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Oh you're going to have such fun if you enjoyed that.

Totally sticks the landing at the end. Enjoy.

Yeah, I'm excited. S1 got me hooked. A friend of mine is almost through S2, because she's gonna rewatch it with me through Discord :haw:

Also, the theme song is so good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

teagone posted:

I started She-Ra at the suggestion of a friend. Binged the first season today. Love it. I especially loved the giant gently caress off rainbow that obliterated Catra's army in the S1 finale, lmao. Fun characters and cute art style :allears: Think Ima be watching the rest of the series with a few friends in Discord :3:

I finished the first season a couple days ago, myself!

I posted a bunch of newbie thoughts in the tviv thread.

Maybe we should make a blind watch thread and post in it together?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

More people watching She-Ra is a good thing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching Bolt, it still holds up 12 years later. How the gently caress was this the very next WDAS film after Meet the Robinsons?! The jump in quality from that stinking pile of turd is incredible. Everything looks and moves so much better.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also it’s funny! It’s clever! Even just the scene with the two cats messing with Bolt near the start has brilliant comic timing

Also if I remember correctly from the last time I watched this (in like 2010) I’m gonna be bawling my eyes out soon

E: the pigeons!!! They move so well

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 2, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Movie is great

What I never noticed before is that a lot of the backgrounds are hand painted with cg animated elements in the foreground

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm a cat person so Mittens' backstory hit me right in the feels as the kids say :smith:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Bolt is definitely when WDAS hit its stride and they’ve steadily been making improvements since. While I am very sad that Disney isn’t making traditional animated features, they could have done a lot worse than the direction they went with.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

To be Continued?!

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1278720320753590272

Be still my heart, I never thought this would come back to life (and I'm still skeptical). Even after that easter egg in Spider-Verse.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Watching Bolt, it still holds up 12 years later. How the gently caress was this the very next WDAS film after Meet the Robinsons?! The jump in quality from that stinking pile of turd is incredible. Everything looks and moves so much better.

Even though it's kinda icky to think about now, I always attributed the jump in quality with John Lasseter starting to head up the WDAS . He came aboard part way through Robinsons and you can kinda see a glimpse of it there, and then he was there for the start of Bolt which you can really feel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

To be Continued?!

Be still my heart, I never thought this would come back to life (and I'm still skeptical). Even after that easter egg in Spider-Verse.

Ok 2020, I'm giving you another chance...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I haven't gone back and rewatched Clone High in a decade or more. Does it still hold up? I remember the key jokes, but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cjh48H25zw

I feel like I'd have a lot less patience for clone high Gandhi these days.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1278456378072301568

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

IUG posted:

To be Continued?!

Wow, finally something this year that makes me feel like crying in a good way.

I was shocked enough when Tuca and Bertie got saved. This? I'm stunned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bobulus posted:

I haven't gone back and rewatched Clone High in a decade or more. Does it still hold up? I remember the key jokes, but that's about it.

The ep that clip is from starts with Cleo building a moat around the SpEd building so....yikes.

But it's also got a great scene where Abe goes to brood at the end of a dock and knockoff Paula Cole song plays as we find Joan brooding at an identical dock 3 feet away.

JFK and Joan might need to be reworked. Like JFK can't understand why nerd poo poo is popular and Cleo is a Kardashian-edque influencer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I feel like I'd have a lot less patience for clone high Gandhi these days.

I rewatched it with my wife who never saw it a few years ago and she liked it.

And that whole moat thing about the special ed section is obviously a joke. That's the joke of the whole episode that follows.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I love Clone High but it is so rooted in the early 00's that I'm having trouble imagining it working nowadays.

Then again, the 2011 Beavis and Butthead revival worked surprisingly well. They just got confirmed for two seasons on Comedy Central as well.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Comedy central is so loving cheap that's probably all they'll get.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I finished the first season a couple days ago, myself!

I posted a bunch of newbie thoughts in the tviv thread.

Maybe we should make a blind watch thread and post in it together?

I'd be down! I just burned through S2 last night with a few friends. It was alright; it didn't hit me as hard as the first season, but I did love the backstory reveals for Shadow Weaver and Bow. George and Lance are amazing, haha. Love the "lunch" tattoo. I guess it being only a 7 episode season didn't leave much in the way for developing character growth and storylines for the rest of the cast in SUPER exciting fashion, but I still was pretty in it. Not sure when my friends and I are going to start S3 yet though, as I've got other plans this weekend.

[edit] As an aside

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1278799917436276736

:drat: I wonder what the cost of living is around there. That... seems disproportionate, based on what I've heard about living/property costs in Japan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IUG posted:

And that whole moat thing about the special ed section is obviously a joke.

:what:

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

I'd be down! I just burned through S2 last night with a few friends. It was alright; it didn't hit me as hard as the first season, but I did love the backstory reveals for Shadow Weaver and Bow. George and Lance are amazing, haha. Love the "lunch" tattoo. I guess it being only a 7 episode season didn't leave much in the way for developing character growth and storylines for the rest of the cast in SUPER exciting fashion, but I still was pretty in it. Not sure when my friends and I are going to start S3 yet though, as I've got other plans this weekend.

[edit] As an aside

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1278799917436276736

:drat: I wonder what the cost of living is around there. That... seems disproportionate, based on what I've heard about living/property costs in Japan.

Yeah its super wack. KyoAni pays salary, whereas most animators are freelancers that get paid by the frame ($3 per drawing that usually takes 45 minutes to draw, plus the time for retakes/corrections) or shot (usually around $50 per shot, where the number of drawings can vary based on length.) So for the first 2 years or so as an in-between animator, they're only taking home $3 per hour, then as a full animator they might start making between $8-10 per hour.

Whereas I, some guy with nowhere near the talent of half these animators, started out getting paid $15 per hour as a junior animator in Canada, and now make $23. Nowhere near a princely sum or anything, but fine.