Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man I'm up to Eridanus in my Law replay of SJ:R and it's like... I can definitely remember why I never feel comfortable going Law at any point, while I can sorta make myself go Chaos. Mastema is just so OBVIOUSLY untrustworthy going down his route feels like straight up self-sabotage. All the endings in SJ end up bad for different reasons, but at least the other two present themselves as reasonable before going off the deep end. This is, I feel, almost to the detriment of the overall plot and I think it would've been better for the narrative if Mastema was a couple degrees less obviously bad.

Bu the SJR Law Theme is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Mxyf4JNmw

Mastema is very much a case of the narrative says something different to the Player sand the Characters. He does nothing but help you through the game while I think every single boss is Chaos. That doesn't change how the tone of what he's doing is so obviously insincere and sinister but he's still helping is the problem and there's no reason to think our heroes should pick up on his villainy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I finally got around to playing through Raidou 2, the last PS2 SMT game I had to finish. It's been a long time since I played the first one but I remember really liking it and a lot of this one just felt like the game only existed because they already had the assets, and that it was being dragged out a lot. Just things like having to fight the same "boss" like eight times or having Tae insist over and over that I watch very carefully as she highlights song lyrics to explain.

Also it's probably because I just finished it but that last dungeon might be my least favorite of the SMT games I've played.

Things I liked:
- Taotie
- Nagi
- Playing my thunder taiko while a giant pentagram appears in the sky to summon Great Kohryu for me to ride while this kicks in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1L2rtfb_JE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Amatasu Mikaboshi for Persona 6 random final boss god.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Hopefully I’ll get the technical side down and start the LP soon. I played a bit to get a hang of controls and I’m in shock there wasn’t a three hour intro, shocked I tell you.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Oh I didn’t know there was another LP going on. Well, I guess there will be two then!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Armor-Piercing posted:

I finally got around to playing through Raidou 2, the last PS2 SMT game I had to finish. It's been a long time since I played the first one but I remember really liking it and a lot of this one just felt like the game only existed because they already had the assets, and that it was being dragged out a lot. Just things like having to fight the same "boss" like eight times or having Tae insist over and over that I watch very carefully as she highlights song lyrics to explain.

Also it's probably because I just finished it but that last dungeon might be my least favorite of the SMT games I've played.

Things I liked:
- Taotie
- Nagi
- Playing my thunder taiko while a giant pentagram appears in the sky to summon Great Kohryu for me to ride while this kicks in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1L2rtfb_JE

The thing about Raidou 2 is that the plot is definitely worse and it has issues with repeated assets and such, but on the other hand the original Raidou Kuzunoha is pretty close to being actively painful to play. Raidou 2 just refined the gameplay to such a ludicrous degree trying to go back to Raidou 1 is practically impossible.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And now I have P4G once again.

I totally forgot about that opening cutscene. In my first run I also totally forgot about it and when I encountered Namatame standing around on the street I was like "huh, this guy has a name and a portrait. He must be important..."

Did anybody remember him from he opening FMV in their first run?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So technically all the Persona games take place in the same universe, right? Nu Persona is a continuation of Eternal Punishment's Earth.

But the Persona mechanics have wildly changed. In P2 our heroes could summon Personas any time they wanted to perform feats of superhuman strength or the like. In Persona 3 they're sort of confused because we do fight a few times outside the designated magic zone and there are the two evil Persona users who can of course summon their Personas at will but they're still clearly heading away from P2's way of doing things.

P4 and P5 are where they got the formula down. Yu and Joker and the rest of them are normal teenagers who various posters here could probably beat up. Then they enter the TV World or Metaverse or whatever it will be in P6 and they become super badasses. It's a pretty clever way to invoke the feeling of being a perfectly average teenager who does perfectly average teenager things while also being a superhero with awesome powers. They managed to combine both self-insert fantasies without diminishing either one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's questionable how much 3-5 are in the same continuity as P2. The P2 cast are given text-only cameos in P3, as is the Nanjo group, but, as you've stated, the mechanics of persona-use are entirely different.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The P1 and P2 casts are old enough by now to have their own kids in high school.

Which probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a sequel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the general notion the games go with is that some of the P1 and P2 cast are among Mitsuru's Shadow Operatives, we just haven't met them. There's a shot of some of the group in P4 Arena that I know has some silhouettes pulled from P1 and P2 art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

It's questionable how much 3-5 are in the same continuity as P2. The P2 cast are given text-only cameos in P3, as is the Nanjo group, but, as you've stated, the mechanics of persona-use are entirely different.

I think it's relatively clear by this point that Persona usage is not something that follows a specific set of rules.

Shin Megami Tensei has always been built around the idea that humanity's collective unconsciousness is a source of power and basically the only connection between each Persona summoning is that they tend to reflect in some fashion A) Tarot Cards and B) Are in some way reflective of the spooky poo poo going on.

Like it's worth remembering that none of the Persona summoning methods even in the recent games are the same. Persona 2's are caused by a rumor being true (even if that rumor in this case is the same as the Persona 1 method.). The Persona 3 cast has to use fake guns and ritually evoke the fear of death to bring their Personas out, Persona 4's cast has to actively encounter their own shadow and confront the truth, and Pesona 5 has you having to undergo a painful process to reveal your true self. The iffiest one is Persona 1 but Persona 1 was before a lot of things came together.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 3, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ah, I think you'll find that in Trinity Soul, it proves tha

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

in personas 1 and 2 philemon basically gives you the persona ability, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Booky posted:

in personas 1 and 2 philemon basically gives you the persona ability, right?

Yeah. The main difference bettween 1-2 and 3-5 in that respect is thatt in 1 and 2, Philemon and Nyarlathotep are active participants in the plot, while in 3 they're sort of playing distant 'put down the pieces' roles. Philemoon gives all of the 1 and 2 casts the Wild Card, while in 3 and 4 he's implied to grant it to only the protagonist to help set things right (in 5 it's different and of course that's part of the plot itself). He's meant to be represented by that blue butterfly that appears as save points and in a few other places.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't the Wild Card in 4/5 given by the specific deity in those games? Hence why Yu and Adachi were both chosen by the gas station attendent, and same with Joker and Akechi.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't the Wild Card in 4/5 given by the specific deity in those games? Hence why Yu and Adachi were both chosen by the gas station attendent, and same with Joker and Akechi.

So I might be wrong, but the way I understand 3 and 4's is that the situation would've given the protagonist a Persona anyway, but Philemon decides to step in and give you a bit more through the Wild Card and the Velvet Room. P3's protagonist would probably always have gotten Thanatos as a Persona, but Philemon knows that situation's gonna get bad enough that they need the Wild Card on top of it--and Orpheus as more of a 'true' initial Persona. Similarly, Izanami gives both Yu and Adachi versions of Izanagi, but Philemon gives Yu the Wild Card to really lead the charge in cutting through the whole Midnight Channel situation.

5 is a VERY weird situation, with Jaldabaoth hijacking Philemon's domain to use it for his own twisted game. But I think we can actually assume that Akechi also has the Wild Card to some degree; his Persona doesn't evolve in the same way as your real party members, he swaps from Robin Hood to Loki as voluntarily as you can switch between yours.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 3, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P5's situation is kiiiinda explained in-game, I think? The team speculates during the stand-off with Akechi that he only has two Personas because he never made any real bonds with anyone. Akechi never held people up, he just killed them, so probably no Shadows from negotiation. So he only has Robin Hood as his mask, and Loki as his 'true' Persona.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I was under the impression that Joker and Akechi were to be Igor and Yaldabaoth's respective "pieces" in the game before the latter decided to change the setup, get rid of Igor, and take control of both sides.

On that note, it's left pretty ambiguous which ones of the coincidences that brought Joker, Shido, Futaba, etc... together were orchestrated by a higher power, and which ones occured on their own. Was Joker chosen because he ran into Shido, or did he run into Shido because he was chosen?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I assume the former; Joker represents the 'good' side of humanity because of his upstanding nature in that confrontation.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

P5's situation is kiiiinda explained in-game, I think? The team speculates during the stand-off with Akechi that he only has two Personas because he never made any real bonds with anyone. Akechi never held people up, he just killed them, so probably no Shadows from negotiation. So he only has Robin Hood as his mask, and Loki as his 'true' Persona.

It's just a fantheory but I always liked the idea that Loki was his regular Persona, yeah, and Robin Hood was from his bond with Joker.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I doubt it (I also doubt that it exists) but it would be cool if smt5 went hard on the cyberpunk stuff again since that stuff seems to be making a comeback in media in general. 4 has hints of it in the lore but the game treats the technology like ancient history because of the way you are introduced to it. I want to see more "I accidentally hacked the devil into my house" stuff that I miss from the old games.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Cleretic posted:

So I might be wrong, but the way I understand 3 and 4's is that the situation would've given the protagonist a Persona anyway, but Philemon decides to step in and give you a bit more through the Wild Card and the Velvet Room. P3's protagonist would probably always have gotten Thanatos as a Persona,

you've already got this backward - P3 protagonist's would always have had Orpheus as his persona, he got Thanatos because Aigis put down Nyx and sealed/bonded/whatever them to P3 protagonist's when he was a kid.

you could probably correlate that directly to him getting the Wild Card without any greater power having a hand in it, but who knows it's vague on purpose.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Utgardaloki posted:

you've already got this backward - P3 protagonist's would always have had Orpheus as his persona, he got Thanatos because Aigis put down Nyx and sealed/bonded/whatever them to P3 protagonist's when he was a kid.

you could probably correlate that directly to him getting the Wild Card without any greater power having a hand in it, but who knows it's vague on purpose.

Yeah, I was actually accounting for that, I just wasn't super clear. Nyx stuff gets P3 protag Thanatos in much the same way that Izanami gets Yu and Adachi Izanagi. Orpheus might well be their 'natural' Persona, but I think it's the influence of Philemon that gives them that to lead instead of Thanatos.

But yeah, it's super vague and weird.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think Igor will return in Persona 6?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hopefully they do. It'd be rather strange if they re-use Isamu Tanonaka's voice, though, which I feel like it's inevitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Honestly I'm not sure. They might decide to let him go after the Persona 5 sendoff. That had a very 'we've reached the end of this character' feel to it and by this point they have a whole army of silver-haired siblings who could take over.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I hope he does, but if he doesn't, I demand that the Velvet Room be taken over by every single other Velvet Room attendant at the same time.

Demon Painter gets depressed that no one gets personas from tarot cards every more, Belladonna and Nameless are still playing the same old song after decades, and Margaret bullies Theodore while Lavenza attempts to comfort him.

And then Elizabeth breaks through the wall whenever she shows up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I hope he does, but if he doesn't, I demand that the Velvet Room be taken over by every single other Velvet Room attendant at the same time.

Demon Painter gets depressed that no one gets personas from tarot cards every more, Belladonna and Nameless are still playing the same old song after decades, and Margaret bullies Theodore while Lavenza attempts to comfort him.

I unironically support everything in this post.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm honestly gonna be a little mad if they keep recycling old voice lines.

Should have used P5 as an excuse to "retire" the character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I know this isn't technically SMT related, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyIt1obb1dE

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hellioning posted:

my favorite part of this post is that Marie isn't in it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Marie's busy hosting the Weather Channel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Egg Baby should run the next velvet room and have his every wish granted by his annoyed servants Theo and Lavenza.

Also P5R Question: DO I need to max the New Girl and Docss Slinks to get to the new post Grail story stuff or does that happen on its own?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Egg Baby should run the next velvet room and have his every wish granted by his annoyed servants Theo and Lavenza.

Also P5R Question: DO I need to max the New Girl and Docss Slinks to get to the new post Grail story stuff or does that happen on its own?

You need to max her, Doc and the Justice Social Link to do it. There is a point where they'll stop advancing but you'll know when you get there for each. Keep checking in on Justice as you have a relatively short window to get his higher tiers once he joins. (You need to be tier 8 by November 17th)

Kasumi can only go up to level 5 but that is where she needs to be, the doc is 9 and Akechi is 8 basically.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 4, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You need to hit level 8 with Akechi and level 9 with the doctor. If you want to progress the Kasumi's social link you need to hit level 5 before the end of December.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

my favorite part of this post is that Marie isn't in it.

Arist posted:

Marie's busy hosting the Weather Channel

She's too good for all of them. You'll notice Yu never bothered to tell anybody about Igor or Margaret. His real friends know about Marie though.

That was one of the better parts of P5, that somebody besides the PC actually got to to the Velvet Room for the first time in two games. I felt it was so strange our heroes never tell their dearest friends about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Teddie goes to the Velvet Room in 4 and all of SEES goes to the Velvet Room in The Answer, dude

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Teddie goes to the Velvet Room in 4 and all of SEES goes to the Velvet Room in The Answer, dude

When did Teddie go? I don't remember that.

And I know nothing of The Answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The protagonist does try to tell people about Igor in all three games (you even have dialogue choices for it), it is just that their response is "uh that's weird dude,"

I mean it is weird but also fundamentally meaningless to the cast most of the time. "Hey guys this weird old guy with a big nose talks to me in sleep and makes vague ominous proclamations." "That's weird dude." "I KNOW." "Well, time to go back into the giant tower that only appears in the hidden hour of the day filled with monsters."