Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a big difference is that it doesn't seem like enemies ever drop shotgun shells but they do pistol clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tip posted:

If you use it more you'll get more ammo. Those loose shotgun shells are really easy to miss though.

I ran it dry at every opportunity and got sod-all ammo for it. Meanwhile I drowned in pistol and SMG ammo.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm having a hard time with the blur while using the Index. I've been moving it up and down a lot since it seems like a vertical position issue, but that isn't really working. I've tried all the IPD positions too. Any common issues or fixes? Stuff in the distance in Alyx is pretty rough. Maybe that's just the quality of the screen?

Also, the refresh rate was set to 90 by default. Should that be at 144 (or whatever max was)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Penpal posted:

- Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is still trucking with constant updates, but Anton just finished Update 90 which is now out of a month-long alpha. If you don't own this game, it's more than just a firearms sim, so give it a look. And don't forget to put your pistol over your shoulder, so when you're taking a knee to load a stripper clip into your bolt-action you can reach behind yourself to grab a backup when you get pushed by sosigs. Note: this feels extremely cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPqLkF2OTg

Thanks for posting this and the video. The dude seems pretty into the game and I'm going to 100% pick it up eventually.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MarcusSA posted:

The dude seems pretty into the game

he's the dev

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

he's the dev

Oh yeah I know.

I should have been more clear, I just really liked his enthusiasm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingKapalone posted:

I'm having a hard time with the blur while using the Index. I've been moving it up and down a lot since it seems like a vertical position issue, but that isn't really working. I've tried all the IPD positions too. Any common issues or fixes? Stuff in the distance in Alyx is pretty rough. Maybe that's just the quality of the screen?

Also, the refresh rate was set to 90 by default. Should that be at 144 (or whatever max was)?

What's your actual IPD, out of curiosity?

Gort posted:

Just don't bother upgrading the shotgun. It's a fine weapon with no upgrades, for the dozen-or-so shells the game will give you for it.

The auto-loading upgrade is actually resin well spent. The rest for it are completely worthless though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

KingKapalone posted:

Is it in other games, or just Alyx? Alyx has a pretty aggressive auto-resolution feature so it might be cutting that down to keep the framerate up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm running 144fps and like 126% scaling and alyx is gorgeous on my index. The game yells at me when I turn it on but I've got a pretty beefy PC (1080gtx, i9 and 64gb RAM).

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
OK so

I've played the demo and tutorial... what's first? I really liked the 'hold gun and shoot at target' thing.

I really dont think I want to beat saber. I don't think. I dunno

What yall recommend

Gonna get Alyx for sure but what else

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

My Index has arrived! Will be comparing it with the other headsets over the next couple days. Haven't plugged it in yet, but it looks good and is very comfy.

hhhat posted:

OK so

I've played the demo and tutorial... what's first? I really liked the 'hold gun and shoot at target' thing.

What yall recommend

Beat Saber. Just get Beat Saber.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hhhat posted:

OK so

What yall recommend

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades will satisfy literally all of your "Hold gun and shoot at target" desires, and much more.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My Index has arrived! Will be comparing it with the other headsets over the next couple days. Haven't plugged it in yet, but it looks good and is very comfy.

Beat Saber. Just get Beat Saber.

but isnt it a rhythm game where you swing your pretend lightsabers at blocks that fly at you and get sweaty or whatever

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hhhat posted:

but isnt it a rhythm game where you swing your pretend lightsabers at blocks that fly at you and get sweaty or whatever

Yes. Most people that think that sounds dumb that try it end up loving it. If you don't like it, refund it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hhhat posted:

What yall recommend

H3VR, IL2: Great Battles, Dirt Rally 2.0, Walking Dead, Sairento, Onward, LA Noire (or just watch Perry Mason), Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, No Man's Sky, Budget Cuts, Gorn, Poker Stars, Vox MAchinae, Until You Fall, Creed VR, Red Matter, War Remains (free), Catch & Release, Thrill of the Fight (workout), Beat Saber are better or for worse, the essentials, in descending order

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

hhhat posted:

what if i told you there are TWO hold gun and shoot at things rhythm games, and they're both great (Audica and Pistol Whip)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

yes and it's really good, especially once you add mods and custom music (i have never finished a single default "campaign" song, they suck)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the stock Beat Saber songs are alright but the charting especially in the mod songs can be a huge step ahead in terms of replicating dance moves in the medium of slashing up blocks with laser swords.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's your actual IPD, out of curiosity?

I just now measured in the mirror in inches and converted to mm and got 66.65mm.

uiruki posted:

Is it in other games, or just Alyx? Alyx has a pretty aggressive auto-resolution feature so it might be cutting that down to keep the framerate up.

Noticeable in the distance in Alyx. Specifically the scene right away with some people sitting in a truck through a fence. Faces were muddy and blended in with their knit hats. Alyx said it's at High Fidelity and I have a 1070. I don't know anything about how the tech stuff is working in VR.

Feel like it's there even in the SteamVR home looking up at the steam friends though. I also tried Ultimate Fishing Simulator and maybe it's just janky since it seems like it, but there's absolutely no way I can see the bobber once I cast. Beat Saber doesn't have nearly as much fine detail, but that seemed fine I think.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Alyx has dynamic supersampling / quality settings based on performance and I’m afraid a 1070 is going to be a little low end for an Index on that game.
Set the headset to 80hz and lower your supersampling a bit, overclock your GPU, should help a little.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

H3VR, IL2: Great Battles, Dirt Rally 2.0, Walking Dead, Sairento, Onward, LA Noire (or just watch Perry Mason), Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, No Man's Sky, Budget Cuts, Gorn, Poker Stars, Vox MAchinae, Until You Fall, Creed VR, Red Matter, War Remains (free), Catch & Release, Thrill of the Fight (workout), Beat Saber are better or for worse, the essentials, in descending order

Meaning H3VR is the best one? This is a long rear end list - I've been playing the same game for 4 years (Overwatch) and before that I played TF2 for... uh... how ever long since it came out.

Perry Mason was cool in the 50s

Deathlove posted:

what if i told you there are TWO hold gun and shoot at things rhythm games, and they're both great (Audica and Pistol Whip)

But what if there's one that isn't rhythm, is there like a duck hunt or something out there?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yes. Most people that think that sounds dumb that try it end up loving it. If you don't like it, refund it.

Oculus store give out refunds yes?

Inacio posted:

yes and it's really good, especially once you add mods and custom music (i have never finished a single default "campaign" song, they suck)

Argh that sounds like work I don't like modding/customizing things unless I'm forced to

Is it really that really great

also thanks all for the replies this is a real useful thread

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Make sure you have your Render Resolution set to 100% in the settings. Start SteamVR, click on the three bars in the SteamVR desktop notification window thingy, open Settings and in there set the Render Resolution from "Auto" to "Custom" and drag the slider to 100%:

You can also change this setting from the in-VR settings menu if you prefer that.

The "Auto" setting can sometimes apply downsampling if it at some point thought your performance was too low, which will lead to a blurry image. That said, a 1070 is really pushing it for "high end" VR games. You definitely shouldn't attempt to go above 90Hz with that, except maybe for really graphically simple games.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

hhhat posted:

right on time

Penpal posted:

...there have been a number of people who pop up asking for advice on what games to get for their new headsets and they get kinda weird about beat saber in particular, "Oh yeah and do NOT recommend getting beat saber because I don't think I'd like it" which is... fine

It's my fav VR game and literally the one everyone should get. Straight up it should be packed in with every headset like Mario was with the NES :colbert:

so, forums user triple h-at, I recommend buying beat saber and also downloading some custom tracks. easy ones like daft Punk songs and poo poo. game good

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
By any chance is there a way to reset the thumbstick angle calibration? my left thumbstick got set at .7 degrees which admittedly isn't much, but since I got a replacement controller I'd like to set it back to 0 degrees if possible.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

hhhat posted:

Meaning H3VR is the best one?
Personally I really like H3VR and it's by far my most played VR game, though keep this in mind:
  • It's strictly single player only.
  • It very much tries to model guns and their handling as accurate as reasonably possible. If you don't like that aspect, then it won't be for you and the controls will seem nigh impenetrable.
  • It's to a large part made up of IMO mess-around-in-once-then-never-again shooting gallery/range things, except for:
  • Take and Hold. This is the "main" proper game mode, and it's tons of fun. Currently there is only map, but a new one is in the works. That said, if you're just starting out then even just that one map will give you plenty of replayability. It takes quite a while to even learn its layout due to its maze-like structure - when I started out I at first thought the map was semi-randomized before I realized it's actually completely static. The various settings/characters make it easy to find a mode that fits your playstyle/skill as well.
  • There is also Return of the Rotweiners, which is a sort of a Zombie Rogue Lite and is the other big game mode in H3VR. Personally I played through it once and thought it was OK, but I honestly don't really care for its quite slow/tedious/melee-focused gameplay. Fun to mess around in with the item spawner enabled, but the actual intended mode wasn't for me.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

hhhat posted:

I don't count it as a rhythm game since it doesn't score you on timing, but otherwise yes, it's that. I'm not the game's biggest fan but I'd still agree that it's worth at least trying even if it doesn't sound like your sort of thing.

hhhat posted:

But what if there's one that isn't rhythm, is there like a duck hunt or something out there?

If you're looking for games where you shoot things in a gallery you're in luck, because that's probably the most oversaturated genre in VR. It's hard to point out ones that stand above the rest, though. H3VR is beloved of gun nuts and people who want incredibly accurate simulations of reloading assault rifles but impenetrable to anyone else. On the more arcadey side I guess Robo Recall would still be the go-to recommendation?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Goodguy3 posted:

By any chance is there a way to reset the thumbstick angle calibration? my left thumbstick got set at .7 degrees which admittedly isn't much, but since I got a replacement controller I'd like to set it back to 0 degrees if possible.
Don't know if there's a way using the UI, but you can always edit the steamvr.vrsettings file in your Steam install dir, e.g. [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings]

In there you'll find an entry like this, which you can just edit back to 0:
pre:
   "input" : {
      "leftThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : 16.374147415161133,
      "rightThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : -4.9933714866638184,
      "thumbstickDeadzone_knuckles" : 0
   },

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

Argh that sounds like work I don't like modding/customizing things unless I'm forced to

Is it really that really great

Once you install mod manager it's literally one click on the mod site and the songs auto install

And yes it really is good

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

SirViver posted:

Don't know if there's a way using the UI, but you can always edit the steamvr.vrsettings file in your Steam install dir, e.g. [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings]

In there you'll find an entry like this, which you can just edit back to 0:
pre:
   "input" : {
      "leftThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : 16.374147415161133,
      "rightThumbstickRotation_knuckles" : -4.9933714866638184,
      "thumbstickDeadzone_knuckles" : 0
   },

Aha, that did the trick. Thanks!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

SirViver posted:

Personally I really like H3VR and it's by far my most played VR game, though keep this in mind:
  • It's strictly single player only.

It didn't even occur to me that shooting gallery games could be multiplayer but yeah sounds fun

NRVNQSR posted:

If you're looking for games where you shoot things in a gallery you're in luck, because that's probably the most oversaturated genre in VR. It's hard to point out ones that stand above the rest, though. H3VR is beloved of gun nuts and people who want incredibly accurate simulations of reloading assault rifles but impenetrable to anyone else. On the more arcadey side I guess Robo Recall would still be the go-to recommendation?

someone said horseshoes and hand grenades and funny enough that's just what my son said I should try, he's already played VR with his bros

Penpal posted:

right on time

so, forums user triple h-at, I recommend buying beat saber and also downloading some custom tracks. easy ones like daft Punk songs and poo poo. game good

You got me. I'll do it. You got me.

Inacio posted:

Once you install mod manager it's literally one click on the mod site and the songs auto install

And yes it really is good

OK. Seems like I have no excuse.

I'ma come back to this thread when I've tried them out to let yall know you were (probably) right all along

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I think Beat Saber is at its best when you don't worry too much about the score and just go with the flow. Less mechanical forearm swaying and more this anime girl.

NRVNQSR posted:

H3VR is beloved of gun nuts and people who want incredibly accurate simulations of reloading assault rifles but impenetrable to anyone else. On the more arcadey side I guess Robo Recall would still be the go-to recommendation?

I'm neither and I think the game's great. After many, many years of playing as spec ops badasses and demon slayers, fumbling the most basic encounter because you can't manage to reload a gun or aim half-way decently under stress is a fantastically fun challenge. Add more maps (and a year worth of polish) and the game could be brilliant.

Also, yeah, Robo Recall is solid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

seravid posted:

I'm neither and I think the game's great. After many, many years of playing as spec ops badasses and demon slayers, fumbling the most basic encounter because you can't manage to reload a gun or aim half-way decently under stress is a fantastically fun challenge. Add more maps (and a year worth of polish) and the game could be brilliant.

Nothing more embarrassing than that first moment of "Why is my gun not shooting, oh gently caress I ejected the magazine :cripes:". There's actually a new outdoor Take and Hold map being worked on that looks really impressive in the early builds that've been shown off, and it's designed to take advantage of all those nice long-range rifles that're pretty worthless in the current close-quarters map.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I gotta say that if Beat Saber really isn’t your thing but you wanna do some sword stuff, Until You Fall is awesome and makes you feel awesome and can be a hell of a workout, too.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Taintrunner posted:

IL2: Great Battles

Have you got any advice on which.. what to buy for this? I recently got a quest and dusted off my sad unused saitek x45 and have been looking for some vr flight sim action, and I see this is in the steam sale, but I'm not sure if that's the "right" il2: sturmovik, or what dlc is "essential"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PokerStars is a no brainer. It's free and chill.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Lord Bob posted:

Have you got any advice on which.. what to buy for this? I recently got a quest and dusted off my sad unused saitek x45 and have been looking for some vr flight sim action, and I see this is in the steam sale, but I'm not sure if that's the "right" il2: sturmovik, or what dlc is "essential"

I found this IL-2 beginner guide in the Air Goons discord. The first section goes over the different purchase options and modules. Basically though, Battle of Stalingrad is the base game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Can someone explain to me what blade and sorcery actually is? Like, I see the combat and that looks great, but like, what do you do in the game? Is it multiplayer or single player? Is it good played through occulus link/virtual desktop?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Can someone explain to me what blade and sorcery actually is? Like, I see the combat and that looks great, but like, what do you do in the game? Is it multiplayer or single player? Is it good played through occulus link/virtual desktop?

nothing. you can swing swords at enemies and use magic and stuff, but there's no game - it's a sandbox.
it's a good sandbox, but i can't honestly recommend it yet.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Inacio posted:

nothing. you can swing swords at enemies and use magic and stuff, but there's no game - it's a sandbox.
it's a good sandbox, but i can't honestly recommend it yet.

Is it a multiplayer sandbox or do you fight bots? If the latter, is the ai good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is it a multiplayer sandbox or do you fight bots? If the latter, is the ai good?

Single player only probably forever.
Right now it’s just bots in a sandbox with a bajillion mods to murder things to your hearts content.
The AI is hilariously easy on the highest difficulty, just go get your murder on