Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The career of Linus Roache really pisses me off. He was so good in Find Me Guilty and Before the Rains that I just wonder: is he cursed because he was in Chronicles of Riddick??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

ruddiger posted:

This movie would be completely forgettable if Guy Pearce wasn't cast in the lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4hZqrIM9w

Actually, it's still pretty forgettable, but Guy makes it worth a watch on a lazy sunday.

Yeah, I've been surprised by the recent wave of regard for Lockout. It's a fine for a B-grade film, but nothing great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The career of Linus Roache really pisses me off. He was so good in Find Me Guilty and Before the Rains that I just wonder: is he cursed because he was in Chronicles of Riddick??

he was great in vikings and was in it for like 5 seasons or so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/klite967fm/status/1278976929593462784?s=20

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1278798680498171904?s=20

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nonathlon posted:

Yeah, I've been surprised by the recent wave of regard for Lockout. It's a fine for a B-grade film, but nothing great.

It's filled with one-liners that are so cringe inducing that you want to stop watching. Not even Arnold at the height of his acting career could salvage some of them.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I've always wondered why Ben Foster isn't having a better career. Absolutely stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Have you seen Mandy? He's stellar in that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nonathlon posted:

I gave Bloodshot like 3.5 stars on Letterboxd but everyone really hated that apparently. Maybe it's because I was building a model kit at the same time or something. Here's my review:

quote:

A solidly entertaining cyborg action ramp. Decent pace, fun setpieces, couple of good twists. Bloodshot won’t win any awards, but it’s a solid couple of hours spent following Vin Diesel around.

Ah well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

I've always wondered why Ben Foster isn't having a better career. Absolutely stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.

He strikes me as a guy who's hard to cast. I think he needs a really meaty role otherwise he can come off a bit bland.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

He strikes me as a guy who's hard to cast. I think he needs a really meaty role otherwise he can come off a bit bland.

That blandness kind of suited his role in Pandorum... and then Dennis Quaid ate all the scenery while MS Paint-lightning bolts shot from his head. Weird movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I gave Bloodshot like 3.5 stars on Letterboxd but everyone really hated that apparently. Maybe it's because I was building a model kit at the same time or something. Here's my review:

A 3.5 and that review is entirely fair. It's a solid B-tier sci-fi action movie, and like you say, the twists are handled well. Guy Pearce does a nice job hinting at the first big one without revealing it too early, and the movie nails the cliches in the opening. I also like how the scene where Ray goes to talk to the woman he thinks is his ex-wife unfolds–with her moving from a surprised and cautious happiness to seeing someone from her past, to concern that he's become unstable, to sympathy for his apparent difficulties–which felt surprisingly emotionally grounded for this sort of schlocky action movie. It's not great, but it's got some fun story beats, frequently looks nice, and has the decency to come in under two hours and not waste time setting up some cinematic comic book universe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Have you seen Mandy? He's stellar in that.

Is Mandy as explicitly violent as I think it is?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's very violent but also owns immensely.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Not casting Linus roache as ozymandias was a huge mistake.
And Mandy owns.its a great movie with great cinematography and scene composition.who ever did the lighting for that should get all the money.

The b-guys movie

Guy Pearce as the smart rear end
Idris Elba as the professional guy
Timothy Oliphant as the oddball
Linus roache as the bad guy.
Michael Ironside as the grizzled mentor that tragically dies in the first act
Tessa Thompson as the one who actually saves the day.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
You forgot Walton Goggins.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Oohh good yeah.maybe for the sequel:the b-guys:b-roll.
By the third it would have more people than the Expendables cast.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

nonathlon posted:

It was okay for what it is. And what it is is quite literally a straight copy of Escape from New York. So blatantly copied that Carpenter actually won a plagiarism lawsuit over it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Is Mandy as explicitly violent as I think it is?

Not... really? Like, the violence that's there is gnar as hell, but a lot more of it is obscured than you'd think (there's at least one nasty thing I straight up didn't catch on my first viewing) and it's a way slower movie than the premise would have you expecting.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Things only start exploding once nicholas cage shouts in a bathroom but the first part is very slow

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nonathlon posted:

It feels like a movie that should have been a hard R, but got edited down for PG-13-rating for marketing, but still ended up getting a R-rating. I saw it in theaters on an outing with friends, in the Before Time, and that was the impression I got. Completely surprised when I saw the MPAA R-rating at the end.

Also, seconding Mandy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...wait, huh? Am I being Mandela'd here, because I'm like 95% sure Lockout is PG-13

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Things only start exploding once nicholas cage shouts in a bathroom but the first part is very slow

I would argue that cheddar goblin is where the tone/pace break is, but thats like 30 seconds difference.

I mostly just wanted to bring up cheddar goblin because i love cheddar goblin.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...wait, huh? Am I being Mandela'd here, because I'm like 95% sure Lockout is PG-13

Yeah, it is. There's an unrated cut on blu-ray that's a little more explicit with the violence, so they're not wrong about it being edited down, but there shouldn't have been a version you could see in theaters that would have an actual R rating.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Lockout is a decent Escape from LA sequel! Pearce is good!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Not casting Linus roache as ozymandias was a huge mistake.
And Mandy owns.its a great movie with great cinematography and scene composition.who ever did the lighting for that should get all the money.

The b-guys movie

Guy Pearce as the smart rear end
Idris Elba as the professional guy
Timothy Oliphant as the oddball
Linus roache as the bad guy.
Michael Ironside as the grizzled mentor that tragically dies in the first act
Tessa Thompson as the one who actually saves the day.

You gotta have Timmy O as the sheriff though

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Everyone who hasn't seen Ravenous should absolutely watch it right now. A good flick for 4th of July imo.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Ravenous has one of the best soundtracks ever. It’s so weird and great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I watched Robocop last night for the first time in years, and it's... not really funny anymore. Because it's not satire. Cops with military grade hardware? A cop yelling at a guy to drop a gun, then shooting him even when he's dropped it? Big business owning the police force?

That's not satire. That's just how cops are these days.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
I forget in what year Robocop was supposed to take place.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

2043. So...close!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cythereal posted:

I watched Robocop last night for the first time in years, and it's... not really funny anymore. Because it's not satire. Cops with military grade hardware? A cop yelling at a guy to drop a gun, then shooting him even when he's dropped it? Big business owning the police force?

About the only thing the movie didn't get right was the 6000SUX with (guessing here) 10 MPG or something. At least we made strides on that one.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

About the only thing the movie didn't get right was the 6000SUX with (guessing here) 10 MPG or something. At least we made strides on that one.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autos-emissions-idUSKBN21I25S

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colostomy Bag posted:

WRONG!

The 2020 Bugatti Divo gets literally 10MPG. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42611

Admittedly an improvement over the SUX’s 8.2 MPG.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 5, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Colostomy Bag posted:

more like 2020SUX

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I recall someone talking about the scene in Blade Runner where Rachel asks Deckard "if he ever retired a human by mistake" and remarking that they don't prosecute cops now for straight-up murder, not even manslaughter.

I've always thought it was supposed to be at least ten years after the movie was made/released, so 1996 or 1997. Makes a bit of sense that everyone thought there was going to be some sort of massive urban crime wave, extrapolating from the late '70s and early '80s crime statistics. Think for a moment how many movies center around urban crime zones in the '90s: Escape From New York, Predator 2, and Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man all take place in the far-future year of 1997, as well as the Castellari Bronx movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
I think Demolition Man, while being a fantastic movie, skips ahead to 1996 while being made in 1993, unless I'm incorrect. I haven't watched the whole thing in a few years which is a crime.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think Demolition Man, while being a fantastic movie, skips ahead to 1996 while being made in 1993, unless I'm incorrect. I haven't watched the whole thing in a few years which is a crime.

I love that movie too but expecting the country to be like this in 3 years is a bit silly.

I mean back THEN.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I love that movie too but expecting the country to be like this in 3 years is a bit silly.

I mean back THEN.

IIRC, and it was from that first chapter of "Freakonomics", is that a lot of people thought the crime rate would peak sometime around 1996-1997, which didn't happen largely because of aggressive policing, an improved economy, and, as the book argues, legalized abortion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you want a 'Well it could be worse' marathon, Edge of Tomorrow, Pacific Rim and Reign of Fire all take place in 2020. Real Steel too but that's not really that frightening of a future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

(Predator 2)