Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Its almost as if pizza comes in many varieties and good examples can be found pretty much anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Last day of Homeschooling today.

Thank gently caress.

Now, how do I keep them occupied for the next 5 weeks? Netflix?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aphex- posted:

This is literally the reason I learned to drive and got a car, it's so nice to be able take my bike into the hills somewhere.

it was never a problem before and i don't want to drive :(

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Oodles posted:

Thank gently caress.

Shove a tablet under their nose for 20 hours a day like most parents

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Its almost as if pizza comes in many varieties and good examples can be found pretty much anywhere

i thought i'd clicked the conebros thread and got seriously confused by this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oodles posted:

Thank gently caress.

guessing tehy're too big for a hard shake to make them quiet

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Butterfly Valley posted:

I went to Napoli, had someone try to pickpocket me twice within hours of arrival, the streets were full of literal poo poo because the mafia controlled binmen had been on strike for 3 months, the first pizza restaurant we walked into and sat down and the waiter came over and asked us "do you speak Russian" and when we said no he pointed us back out the door, then the next restaurant we found the pizza was disgusting soggy poo poo and when the waiter came to give us our change he held it out then pulled it away and said "no this is my tip because I answered a question for you" (I had asked him for directions to a museum or something)

gently caress that city and burn it to the ground imo

The stereotypical tourist has logged on. I genuinely thought people like you were a myth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought i'd clicked the conebros thread and got seriously confused by this

What is the conebros thread

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My scalding white hot take is I really didn't enjoyed the authentic Italian pizza in actual Italy (not Napoli). Tried it in Milano, Venice, Florence and Rome and was underwhelmed. Maybe I'm a cultureless caveman but I guess I like my NY style pizza or döner-pizza more.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

am i missing something about Napoli. Why would someone expect you to speak russian there? are you sure you weren't in russia

isn't it naples?

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 3, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The stereotypical tourist has logged on. I genuinely thought people like you were a myth.

Wtf are you talking about

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

hemale in pain posted:

am i missing something about Napoli. Why would someone expect you to speak russian there? are you sure you weren't in russia

isn't it naples?

Yeah I was just following that guy’s slightly pretentious usage of the Italian name for it to make a point that just being in the city that invented pizza doesn’t guarantee that all pizza there is gonna be amazing

And regarding the Russian thing I still have no idea what the gently caress

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I got lectured once that 'authentic' pizza is closer to focaccia than modern pizza because tomatoes arent native to Italy, or Europe even.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

What is the conebros thread

clcik it and see

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah I was just following that guy’s slightly pretentious usage of the Italian name for it to make a point that just being in the city that invented pizza doesn’t guarantee that all pizza there is gonna be amazing

And regarding the Russian thing I still have no idea what the gently caress

that's crazy but sounds like a interesting experience at least

kecske posted:

I got lectured once that 'authentic' pizza is closer to focaccia than modern pizza because tomatoes arent native to Italy, or Europe even.

im pretty sure dominos hot dog stuff crust is the most authetnic pizza on the market

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I got tempted to order pizza because of this thread. Gonna cook egg fried rice instead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

That doesn't sound like a healthier option if that's what was stopping you

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

im pretty sure dominos hot dog stuff crust is the most authetnic pizza on the market
i was reading the Thomas Ligotti reviews the Hotdog Pizza from Pizza Hut frontpage article on Tuesday and it put in me in the mood for the weirdest most hosed up pizza hut pizza that money could buy. i had their horrendous cheeseburger base pizza years ago so I wondered what vile pizza sorcery they're up to now.

sadly due to the 'rona they're doing a limited menu so they only sell normal bases. i ordered one anyway, forgetting that pizza hut pizza is terrible.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

That doesn't sound like a healthier option if that's what was stopping you

Not a health concern more of a "do I really need to eat pizza right now?" kinda situation. That being said, I checked the calorie values and one serving of egg fried rice is 180 cal while a slice of medium Dominos pepperoni is 250 which rounds up to 1200-1400 cal.

Fatty mcfatfat edit: Also Dominos have 2-for-1 promotion on Tuesdays, so I remembered that.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

the wizard chants in his lair, seeking to bind a sentry golem to hia tower to protect against intruders. it's nearly finished - he just has to activate its main core, and-

"who else can beat the tories? anyway here's some suggestions for Mediterranean holiday destinations"

ah poo poo, there's been a terrible misunderstanding and he's created the wrong kind of Guardian golem

Beautiful.

I keep forgetting to read the guardian, and I subscribe to it so I really should remember.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wtf are you talking about

Tourists that go to places and get robbed and generally treated poorly by the locals. I thought those were a myth because I've never experienced it in any way...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wooger posted:

Bit strong, remember you have to appeal to 51% of the voting populace to be of any use as a party leader.

51%?! what do you think this is, a representative democracy?

Tories got a MASSIVE landslide on like 44% last time. In 2017, a ~2% popular vote difference lead to a representation difference of nearly FIFTY seats

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tourists that go to places and get robbed and generally treated poorly by the locals. I thought those were a myth because I've never experienced it in any way...

Unlike many other safe and sanitized European destinations, Naples retains a refreshing contempt for the tourists who maintain its economy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
First thing I did when I got to Turkey was try to buy a towel at a market near the hotel. They wanted 80quid which I nearly paid before figuring out what all the money meant. I was so angry I sulked the rest of the three week holiday.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When the poo poo did you come back, 99?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Napleschat: I ate a train station pizza while trying to move my train ticket to allow me to leave Naples earlier and go to one of the nice cities, and it was by far and away the best thing that I found in Naples

A pizza from the loving railway cafe. If I'd been in London, they'd have served me a sprinkling of cheddar over what appears to be a bathroom sponge that's been left in a bag of tomatoes for three weeks, and they'd have charged me £14 for it while staring at me with their beady London eyes

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

well yeah if you spring for the cheap option then old sponge is what you get

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

week 6 C25k complete. had to take a tiny break in the 25m run to retie my shoe lace but that made me go from struggling to breathe to smashing the rest of it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is friday. please post your dogs, for review.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

well done Jose, how far did you go?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Dogposting

The other half's furball. She's trapped in Arizona and sometimes I miss this guy more than her.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

well done Jose, how far did you go?

plot a route reckons 1.6 miles which seems a bit low but idk

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

She currently smells of coconut oil because a tanning housemate absent mindedly picked her up

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

I miss big dog.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I found the pizza in Italy very good but nothing you couldn't get in England, the only real difference was that what cost €4 in Italy would be £24.99 here. Same with coffee, they'd make you a good Americano for the price of a greasy spoon Nescafe here.

Interestingly I had the worst Spaghetti Bolognese of my life in Italy. It was in a cafe on an industrial estate but still.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

do note that some of my distaste towards Naples may be related to me deciding that I'm someone who on no account is going to book on a group tour with a bunch of americans making outside noises and therefore of course I'm perfectly fine getting to Pompeii by myself, and then into Naples to go and look at the museum where they took all of the phallic art (it turns out that the Romans carved dicks on literally everything, in order to give them powerful dick magic, and this made a lot of old classicists very, very upset), even with my Italian being essentially limited to "lei parlo Inglese?" and "Juve merda"

and of course that was fine, using public transport in a first-world country isn't actually a challenge, and it was only marginally more so in Italy

that said, it turns out that on the continent all of the museums shut on Mondays, which I bet the group tour was completely aware of and scheduled their plans accordingly. so I spent an afternoon wandering aimlessly around Naples making the Sideshow Bob noise and trying to explain why someone who doesn't speak Italian would be browsing an Italian bookstore via doing Italian Hands and trying to find common ground vis-a-vis Juve

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah ok sorry for the hostility, I thought you were blaming me for my experience somehow

I mean I was a dumbass teenager on my gap year interrail trip which ended up being a tour of the Irish pubs of Europe, but we didn't have any problems anywhere else in Italy. This was pre-smartphones so we were just winging it most of the way but our instincts generally served us well in most places, except Naples was the one city where there was palpable hostility to our very existence as soon as we were out of the train station. The city wasn't having any of me and I'm having none of that place again.

I'm an older savvier traveller now so I suppose I might potentially give it another chance but I'd much rather go to Salerno or somewhere else down there if I want to visit Pompeii again

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

What makes that story worse is that I'm now obliged to go back to Naples at an unspecified later date, purely to see a sculpture of a gladiator fighting off his own enormous anthropomorphic erection, and possibly to eat more railway pizza

Which is why the planet is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Travel everywhere by tall ship. Or longship. Or reed ship. Or unknown sea people vessel.