Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Doom: The Golden Souls 2 is a level pack made by a modder named Batandy. It asks the question "what if Doomguy lived in a world like Mario inhabits? And what if the Cyberdemon was his Bowser?" There are 7 main worlds, each containing between 6 and 8 levels including a ghost house and a fortress, complete with a boss. It's all the super fast paced shooting action of Doom 2, but it also has Mario-style platforming. Yes. First person platforming. And Doomguy, if you don't remember, retains a lot of momentum.

It's gonna be done with voiced post commentary, and I'm gonna be doing some pretty tight editing. If When I die, I'll be cutting out everything until we get back to the point where it originally happened. This game is brutally difficult and pulls no punches. So as the LP wears on, expect a lot of editing. Also because there are so many levels, I would not be against inviting in viewers to make bad jokes comment over some of the stages!

If, for some reason, you want to play along, you can pick the game up for the low, low price of $0 provided you own a copy of Doom 2. It's 2020, so you very likely have a copy of Doom 2 on Steam. Or GOG. Get the mod here!

The Videos

Grasslands

1-1 - Green Plains
1-2 - Water Cave
1-3 - Groovy Grotto
1-4 - Oriental Garden
1-B - Calescent Castle
Boss #1 Uncut Footage

Desert

2-1 - The Land With No Name
2-2 - Arid Abode
2-3 - Silhouette Sunset
2-4 - Lilac Landscape
2-5 - Relic Ruins

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is not the crossover I would've expected (the closest Nintendo property to Doom is, as everyone knows, Animal Crossing) but it definitely looks neat right now. It's quite the weird thing, but it does have a weirdly Mario feeling despite being Doom with a coat of paint.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I very much appreciate the touch of having first person view of Doomguy holding a coffee mug

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The tea sloshing during his tea party with bunny was amazing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm not a fan of 1st person platforming, and I loathe Doom platforming in particular, but the wad seems wholesome as heck.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Welp, this isn't a thing I ever would've imagined or expected, but I'm on board :f5:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
drat, fall damage in a Mario-esque setting and platforming? At least I think it was fall damage (that first death i mean)

This all seems incredibly cool tho. Doom modders are just crazy talented it seems.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Don't worry, there's no fall damage. What I fell into in the first level was a death plane, instead! There's nothing down on the floor, and if you fall down there's no way back up. So killing the player is a "kindness" there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm curious to see your opinions on the various levels, I felt like the platforming was better done in the original Golden Souls, though the Golden Souls 2 levels that were good were better than the best of the first Golden Souls levels.

In my opinion GS2 loves its instadeath falls, surfaces and traps a bit too much considering that the engine is operating under mild ice physics at all times.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

In my opinion GS2 loves its instadeath falls, surfaces and traps a bit too much considering that the engine is operating under mild ice physics at all times.

So instead of Doomguy the protagonist is Luigi from SMB1?

:hmmyes:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rappaport posted:

So instead of Doomguy the protagonist is Luigi from SMB1?

:hmmyes:

He is wearing green.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ripper Teario Bros

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Let's play 25 years of Do-- Mario? Well, this should be a ride!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ripper Teario Bros

Super Doomslayer Bros.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I watched the whole video and I am still not sure whether I like this or not :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1-2 - Water Cave

HD is still processing if you watch it as soon as I post this. But give it time. For some reason youtube put this one in the slow processing pipeline, and so it took like 20 minutes to process the SD version.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Doomguy's jump physics are terrifying to me. I keep thinking there's no way you'll be able to do those jumps and then you do.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This is quite an entertainingly surreal game. I'm sad that there doesn't seem to be an option for goomba stomping enemies.

I'm also really impressed at what the creator has managed to do with the Doom engine, considering that he's managed to make it seem even more 3d than the base game.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think the Shy Guys are actually supposed to be Snifits, the mask looks more like theirs than a Shy Guy and Snifits are known for shooting bullets even in the original Mario games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

kvx687 posted:

I think the Shy Guys are actually supposed to be Snifits, the mask looks more like theirs than a Shy Guy and Snifits are known for shooting bullets even in the original Mario games.

Two Snifits in a trench coat

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm really bad at this wad so I'm really excited to see this, I wanna see where the game goes!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So a couple of things.

DN: Your accent is great, really enjoyable to listen to.

Also for all the crap I give this wad's level design, I greatly enjoy being probably the most mobile Doomguy is in any game, between the zooming around and the absurd jumping ability. It also has what I would consider to be the most badass shotgun of any Doom game I've played. It absolutely kicks rear end, which it as it sound be. With regards to long-range hitscan weapons, though, for a while the pistol is really your only viable option and yet despite it having an actual niche, and not just being a perpetual weapon of last resort, after some levels the level designers just more or less forgot to ever place any ammo for it, which sucks. In general most of the weapons in GS2 are fun to use, which is a step up over GS1 where a couple of the guns I only used when everything else was out of ammo.

I also strongly prefer the "zero stakes"-platforming, because usually it involves more platforms that aren't a pixel wide and considering that you have access to quicksaving and quickloading, technically all the platforming is zero stakes, the only difference is that the intentionally zero stakes is less annoying to deal with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks both legitimately impressive and a massive pain in the rear end to play. Can't wait to see more.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1-3 - Groovy Grotto

I had some complaints that parts of the previous videos were too quiet, so I tried something different with the audio in this one. To me it sounds a lot better, my voice is less echo-y, and you can actually hear the background music... as uninspiring as the Super Mario World cave theme is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Your audio is definitely better now. I struggled at times in the last video but this one was much easier to hear.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I am morally offended by a Doom game that requires reloading. :colbert: (Super shotgun doesn't count, that's part of the firing animation)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

azren posted:

I am morally offended by a Doom game that requires reloading. :colbert: (Super shotgun doesn't count, that's part of the firing animation)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing worth noting about the crushers with coins marking safe spots is that if you bungle up your order of passages and have to come back through them... you're suddenly out of coins to indicate safe spots to stand. :v:

Also I always wonder if the big evil plants' firing behavior were altered in a patch before the .wad got released, since they very, very often seem to be located in places where they just spit their fireballs into pits and can't actually hit you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh my god, first person Mario fireball is the thing I didn't know I've wanted all my life :supaburn:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
That level was way too dark and gloomy, and putting a Hell Knight on that tiny platform at the end you can't see and too far away to hit with the shotgun was some bullshit.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1-4 - Oriental Garden

A level that I'm torn on. It's got a maze in it and I don't like that. But on the other hand, it's got a lot of really fun platforming.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That maze definitely could've been a bit more interesting.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
The Oriental Garden music is from The Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the SNES. I'm old.

Ah ha ha, you actually pointed out that they're Snifits, not Shyguys. I was just going to hassle you on that one.

Oh wait, you're still calling them the wrong name, how racially insensitive. Guess this LP's more Whiffit than Snifit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I like your dedication to gameplay flow. I'm not much of an FPS player and even less of an oldschool one, so for me the underwater hallway and also the maze seemed fine, but I haven't much thought about shooter design so far. It doesn't obviously seem different to me than the game forcing you to stop and shoot enemies across a platforming section, you're just stopping around the corner of a pond/hedge, what makes it feel different to you?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Please continue being critical of this awful hedge maze. It was so bad that I actually remembered this level as being two separate levels.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I like your dedication to gameplay flow. I'm not much of an FPS player and even less of an oldschool one, so for me the underwater hallway and also the maze seemed fine, but I haven't much thought about shooter design so far. It doesn't obviously seem different to me than the game forcing you to stop and shoot enemies across a platforming section, you're just stopping around the corner of a pond/hedge, what makes it feel different to you?

The maze in particular is a pretty big momentum killer. It's telling that it took me 7 minutes to get to the maze and then that long again just to clear it, and it wasn't even that maze-like. The underwater section of the level was more just the same enemies over and over in much the same formations. So it didn't really offer additional challenge. Like I said in the video, I think the hack is at its best when you've got some tricky platforming and lots of room in which to do it.

As part of a Doom level, the underwater section would have been alright, but the maze would still be pretty indefensible. I have capital-O opinions about mazes in classic first person shooters, but those can wait for my inevitable Wolfenstein 3D LP. When taken as part of a platformer, the action in both sections really slows down the pace a lot. Doomguy is insanely mobile in this hack, and it's a shame when the levels don't let you really take advantage of that.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Why a hedge maze in an Asian-themed level? Aren't those pretty dang European?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Melaneus posted:

Why a hedge maze in an Asian-themed level? Aren't those pretty dang European?

All things are possible in hell, as the year 2020 has taught us

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

This is a very cool idea that I am glad to have seen and not to have played.

I'm very interested to see where the game goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I have capital-O opinions about mazes in classic first person shooters, but those can wait for my inevitable Wolfenstein 3D LP.

I'm very much looking forward to that one :) Especially if you'll be looking at it from a level-design perspective as well; I've played some Wolf3D mods a long time ago*, but never really got a handle on level-design qualities in that engine (aside from "mazes bad").

*Probably worth mentioning in a thread about a mod: Wolf3D has a surprisingly extensive modding community that's still active to this day; many high-profile mods are only a few years old.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 13, 2020