Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

you can tell im not one of the people getting doxxed by 2FA fuckups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Statutory Ape posted:

unironically w10 is the best PC os ever, imho

it has problems but lol

I like 1607 LTSB, but it's still ugly compared to 7

Every build of 10 seems to have its quirks

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
1607 doesn't have dark mode, pass.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Last Chance posted:

It's gotten pretty bad, but not quite Ubuntu or Mint bad yet.

Do Ubuntu and mint have a lot of problems with bad updates?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Good point, I mean uppdating Linux through major releases has always been a crapshoot: it's easy to break something critical and wind up in a command prompt with no desktop environment.

Windows updates wipe data and settings regularly which is arguably worse 'cause you can probably fix up your Ubuntu install somehow, but recovering data from an SSD or an encrypted drive might be a lot more damaging.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never seen it wipe data during updates. A few settings sure but never data.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenNight posted:

I've never seen it wipe data during updates. A few settings sure but never data.

There have been some major data-loss bugs, such as with windows 1809 where people had their whole documents or downloads folders deleted. But those were bugs.

As far as 'intended behavior' data loss, the one I know is that if you put manually put stuff in the Windows folder it gets wiped during updates. Well, moved to windows.old where you can get it back but only if you notice quickly. But you can just not put stuff in the windows folder. I wouldn't call that a regular thing. This happened to me and I was just like, oh well gotta re-download the PStools pack and put them somewhere else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Good point, I mean uppdating Linux through major releases has always been a crapshoot: it's easy to break something critical and wind up in a command prompt with no desktop environment.

Windows updates wipe data and settings regularly which is arguably worse 'cause you can probably fix up your Ubuntu install somehow, but recovering data from an SSD or an encrypted drive might be a lot more damaging.

I think the risk of doing in-place major release updates on Linux really varies by distro. I've done several in-place release updates with openSUSE and it has never been an issue, but it also makes sense they would have the process streamlined. My main desktop now is openSUSE Tumbleweed, which is a rolling release, so I do have a little more chance of update glitches but I'd say no worse than what I feel like the risk is with my Windows install on the same machine.

I do have to say that in my experience Windows 10 installation and re-installation is vastly better than it was on earlier versions of Windows. It's faster and has worked well for me so far.

Now if only Microsoft could figure out how to put out updates that don't tend to cause more problems than they solve they'd be golden.

I do tend to delay on applying updates for at least a day or so just because of the history of bad updates in general. I was working in a Mac-centric office when they rolled out the Mac OS update that bricked IBM hard drives, and that remains my benchmark for bad updates.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Something that looks like the OS is hijacking "Alt+Space" keyboard shortcut and showing me a menu that looks like the macOS finder. I've got a window that's way off screen and need to do the "Alt+Space, M" shortcut to move it around and can't.

Is this something added to Win10 :regd04: ?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hed posted:

Something that looks like the OS is hijacking "Alt+Space" keyboard shortcut and showing me a menu that looks like the macOS finder. I've got a window that's way off screen and need to do the "Alt+Space, M" shortcut to move it around and can't.

Is this something added to Win10 :regd04: ?

In here it says alt+space is the shortcut for PowerToys Run, which you may have installed at some point?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

In here it says alt+space is the shortcut for PowerToys Run, which you may have installed at some point?

That was it! I just came to thread to report since it popped a notification that PowerToys needed to update. I kind of forgot I had even installed it. Thanks for looking that up. Disabled the launcher and everything is groovy.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lol fukken dumbasses.

:v:: "What should we make the shortcut?"
:downs: "How about alt+space? That's not already taken, right?"
:v: "Yeah prolly not. Good idea!"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The super dumb thing is that in all documentation for it, it is called a win+r run box replacement, so they could have just actually gone with that.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I don't know if this has been asked already but will updating to Win 10 2004 give me noticeably better gaming performance with that hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling feature? I'm running a GTX1070 with the newest drivers.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I guess at some point Windows Calculator got an update and turned the tile for it I pinned into my start menu into this:

The tile for Origin did something similar with a forced background color, and I was able to fix that by going to the program's directory and editing some XML file who's name I've forgotten, but I can't right click on that Calculator tile and open a properties window or go to the shortcut's location. How do I fix this?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can't. The next version of Windows 10, 2009, will get rid of the background colors entirely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol fukken dumbasses.

:v:: "What should we make the shortcut?"
:downs: "How about alt+space? That's not already taken, right?"
:v: "Yeah prolly not. Good idea!"

I've been using Spotlight-like programs for over a decade with alt+space as the shortcut and never had any collisions. What else uses that shortcut?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

I've been using Spotlight-like programs for over a decade with alt+space as the shortcut and never had any collisions. What else uses that shortcut?

It's the shortcut to the main window menu, the universal move-size-minimize-close one.

(I had to try alt-space in a program to remember that was the key shortcut for that menu. Never use it myself, even when a program is offscreen I just right-click the taskbar.)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Last Chance posted:

This is something I've not really experienced since I began using Linux on my main desktop. Been running it for a couple of years now. YMMV of course, but it hasn't been a crapshoot for a while now in my experience.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Microsoft has this InitAll project going on, that involves new pool allocator APIs, that try to ensure that stacks and and variables and poo poo are properly zeroed out. They've been rolling it out in kernel mode lately/for v2004, and it's apparently one of the prime reasons why dysfunctional anti-cheat software like BattlEye has been a known issue all the time during development.

I'm not sure how I should feel about ostensibly sensible and unavoidable software breaking when an operating system is doing things correctly. Or what it meant for system security in the past.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
God, how miserable non-precision touchpads are!

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Manually downloaded the 2004 update and neither my i9 9900k built PC nor my Razer Blade Pro 17 will update from 1909. Both times it just says "your PC settings aren't supported yet on this version of windows 10...". Nothing abnormal about either system.

Googling this is essentially tossing a dart with no information to be found on how to actually get the update to install. Is there a log someplace that might specify what the actual issue is? Has anybody been able to update via patch or should I just download the ISO and reload that way?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't force it. If there's a block, it's because there are issues that Microsoft thinks will be detrimental to the experience.

And based on goddamn unstable my frankendesktop has been since forcing a 2004 install through a copy of MCT, I am obliged to agree.

If you're hankering for HAGS, it does nothing right now. Or rather, in the words of Microsoft's development team, was built in such a way as to be like "rebuilding the foundation under a house while still living in it". Gamers Nexus did a research piece into seeing what kind of performance gains are had from enabling it. There is a measurable gain, but the gains are only visible with bottom-barrel processors like the 10100 they used to create an artificial CPU bottleneck to test, something you very much do not have with your hardware.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The 2004 release has had a lot of hardware/firmware incompatibilities crop up, hilariously including on Surface products.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-2004-rollout-were-slowly-throttling-up-availability-says-microsoft/

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't force it. If there's a block, it's because there are issues that Microsoft thinks will be detrimental to the experience.

And based on goddamn unstable my frankendesktop has been since forcing a 2004 install through a copy of MCT, I am obliged to agree.

If you're hankering for HAGS, it does nothing right now. Or rather, in the words of Microsoft's development team, was built in such a way as to be like "rebuilding the foundation under a house while still living in it". Gamers Nexus did a research piece into seeing what kind of performance gains are had from enabling it. There is a measurable gain, but the gains are only visible with bottom-barrel processors like the 10100 they used to create an artificial CPU bottleneck to test, something you very much do not have with your hardware.

Don't care about HAGS, just figured I'd install the "May" update since it's July now. Was mostly interested in WSL2 and sync changes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I really want WSL2 too, but not enough to break my "wait at least 2 months before installing big updates even if things seem ok" rule.

In fact I'm gonna wait 3 months, because covid work-from-home is visibly slowing development of big critical software like Windows, GPU drivers, and other stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I only installed 2004 because this is a new machine and a reinstall wouldn't have been a big deal - other than having to reinstall drivers, browsers, and Steam it wouldn't be that bad. So far 2004 has been fine for me aside from it lowering my CPU benchmark results a little.

That said, I need to update my old machine's Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I'm planning on going to 1909 for that one. Older hardware and an older install makes me loathe to experiment with it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

just had a fun time wondering why typing "python" into a terminal doesn't actually run the installed version of python, but opens up the Windows Store instead so I can download python

turns out this is a thing, thanks!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows 2004 is still in beta testing, please don’t run it on production hardware yet

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Windows 2004 is still in beta testing, please don’t run it on production hardware yet

Isn't that the case for any version of Windows 10? Only the ones where support ended are truly out of beta testing, but you shouldn't run those either.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Apparently LTSC is the the thing that Microsoft considers to be its "stable" branch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm on a Dell XPS on 1903. Got an update for 2004, updated it and it cause the system to absolutely poo poo the bed when waking from sleep. Whole system just becomes unresponsive and needs a hard shutdown.
I've already rolled back to 1903 but is it worth it upgrading to 1909 or should I just want until 2004 is fixed (or superseded)? If I should go to 1909, how do I do that?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

EoRaptor posted:

Closing all their stores also signals the death of their surface hardware business. With no way to demo it to consumers, nobody will pay the price premium, and big corps want a bunch of support MS doesn’t offer.

LOL. $1.3 billion or more in Surface sales every quarter this past year is nowhere near death.

e: Surfaces will still be sold at big box retailers. The branded retail stores were only contributing a small percentage of consumer sales. Trying to find a link on that.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

baka kaba posted:

just had a fun time wondering why typing "python" into a terminal doesn't actually run the installed version of python, but opens up the Windows Store instead so I can download python

turns out this is a thing, thanks!!!

This bit the gently caress out of us at work.
(Image does actually have python present, it's just elsewhere in the path so the WindowsApps crap hijacked it.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently one of the update blockers of v2004 is the Core Isolation security feature. What the gently caress, Microsoft? It's your own drat feature/code.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use ClickMonitorDDC to change my dual monitors (Dell U2312) brightness.
I keep running into an issue where it can't recognise the monitors as having DDC.
If I go into Device Manager they will appear as "Generic non PnP monitor" instead of Dell 2312.
Has anyone run into this before and got it to work consistently?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FCKGW posted:

I'm on a Dell XPS on 1903. Got an update for 2004, updated it and it cause the system to absolutely poo poo the bed when waking from sleep. Whole system just becomes unresponsive and needs a hard shutdown.
I've already rolled back to 1903 but is it worth it upgrading to 1909 or should I just want until 2004 is fixed (or superseded)? If I should go to 1909, how do I do that?

I have an xps 13 and 15 that this has been happening intermittenly on since i got them I think?

part of my issue i think was an undervolt (tho, IIRC, my xps 15 has done that since they upgraded the bios to disallow undervolting)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What third party free software would people recommend for monitoring my own internet connection/stability etc?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

~Coxy posted:

This bit the gently caress out of us at work.
(Image does actually have python present, it's just elsewhere in the path so the WindowsApps crap hijacked it.)

Yeah I have it installed and on the path, it's just their Great Idea was overriding it. Extremely jarring to type a command in the terminal and have the windows store open like you've been owned

best part is if you don't just type python and you add some arguments, like you're oh I dunno running a script or something, the apps thing still overrides but it just fails silently :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Apparently LTSC is the the thing that Microsoft considers to be its "stable" branch.

LTSC is a tank and fantastic. I just don't know if I could get away with it on a GAMING PC. No Store seems to screw with a lot of things, too.