Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I pre-ordered via Amazon and cancelled as soon as they said it wouldn't be on my door for over a week. I've got a couple local stores that are open in a limited capacity that I'll check day of release.

Psychofon will charge an arm and a leg for extravagant "limited edition" pressings then turn around and re-press them "due to high demand" before the original stock even sells out. They have lovely business practices and I refuse to give them money.

No matter what, the release is kinda borked to begin with - the CD will have six extra tracks that won't show up on the vinyl at all even though the vinyl release (and I believe it only comes as two records) has two LPs with the demos taking up an entire LP despite running less than 25 minutes total.

Cherry Red's been blowing it since they bought the rights, honestly (Ghost of Hope, Intruders and now Dyin' Dog all drop songs for the vinyl releases). Secret Records is the only label that does up Residents releases right.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the special editions anyway; good to know about their generally bad practices. It looks like I might go the local store route too - I haven't been in 5 months and I'm sure there are some around here being safe enough to make me feel ok about it. Ugh, reminded how much I miss my therapeutic crate digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

marjorie posted:

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the special editions anyway; good to know about their generally bad practices. It looks like I might go the local store route too - I haven't been in 5 months and I'm sure there are some around here being safe enough to make me feel ok about it. Ugh, reminded how much I miss my therapeutic crate digging.

I haven't taken a proper lunch break in months because I don't see the point if I can't go flip through some records.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I haven't taken a proper lunch break in months because I don't see the point if I can't go flip through some records.

I hear ya - I'd usually take a long walk to one of the smaller places on my way home after work, or to the big place right when they open on the weekends, but I've been working from home and they've all been either closed or doing curbside only for so long that it's out of my routine now (or whatever semblance of a routine I have these days anyway).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Looks like bandcamp is having another revenue share waving day tomorrow, so I might order a few records there. Could use some inspiration; does anyone have something killer they've bought off of there recently or something that gets a lot of playtime for you (bonus if it's a lesser-known artist/band who might really benefit from the extra revenue)?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Always be givin' money to Rob Crow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Apparently you can buy Tropical gently caress Storm records on bandcamp so do that.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Good call; I'm sorely lacking in the Rob Crow vinyl area, PLUS I felt bad about missing (for a dumb reason) the Pinback show here recently(ish).

CPL593H posted:

Apparently you can buy Tropical gently caress Storm records on bandcamp so do that.

Thank you, yes, another good call.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

marjorie posted:

Looks like bandcamp is having another revenue share waving day tomorrow, so I might order a few records there. Could use some inspiration; does anyone have something killer they've bought off of there recently or something that gets a lot of playtime for you (bonus if it's a lesser-known artist/band who might really benefit from the extra revenue)?

I have no idea what your musical tastes are, but last month I got Heritage by Mark de Clive-Lowe and tomorrow will probably pick up Heritage II.

Some other random recs:

CBD by Count Bass D harkens back to his Dwight Spitz/Act Your Waist Size days.

Butcher Brown's Afrokuti: A Tribute to Fela. My favorite local jazz band doing Fela-inspired beats.

IV by Chris Schlarb's Psychic Temple aka the guy who did the awesome Dropsy soundtrack.

BADBADNOTGOOD - III Wait holy poo poo they reissued this album? Whelp I know what I'm getting tomorrow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are the prices reduced during this thing or does it just give more money to the performers?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

Are the prices reduced during this thing or does it just give more money to the performers?

bandcamp doesnt take their share (20%?) so its just more money to the performers

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, no blanket change in prices, just thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to give artists a little extra since I can't shell out for live show tickets at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ballz - I'll check out the ones I'm not familiar with and I'm sure at least a couple will make the list (my musical tastes are haphazard, so I just figured anything someone takes the time to recommend would be worth checking out).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

marjorie posted:

I hear ya - I'd usually take a long walk to one of the smaller places on my way home after work, or to the big place right when they open on the weekends, but I've been working from home and they've all been either closed or doing curbside only for so long that it's out of my routine now (or whatever semblance of a routine I have these days anyway).

Yeah curbside sucks because none of the stuff I would go digging for is on their website. It's all new LP's or VERY EXPENSIVE collectables. Nobody is going to take the time to upload hundreds of $1 12" singles and I don't blame them, but at the same time I can't even show up with a $100 bill and say, "here take this and give me the first 100 records in the "Singles" bin so I can do my own digging.
Is this what a gambling addiction feels like? It doesn't even matter if you win or lose. It's the excitement of rolling the dice.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

marjorie posted:

Gonna proselytize on behalf of my beloved, Tuscon’s own Golden Boots. Strongly suggest DBX ‘n’ SPF. There’s 1 left. Grab this loving album! There’s also the handmade cover version if you wanna spend a few more dollars. Dmitri does the art. There’s 8 of those left. Labyryyynth is a great one too. Sadly most of their catalogue is out of print and, while mostly affordable on Discogs, that doesn’t help the artist and doesn’t fit the nature of your request. Still, check them out. And buy DBX ‘n’ SPF.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah curbside sucks because none of the stuff I would go digging for is on their website. It's all new LP's or VERY EXPENSIVE collectables. Nobody is going to take the time to upload hundreds of $1 12" singles and I don't blame them, but at the same time I can't even show up with a $100 bill and say, "here take this and give me the first 100 records in the "Singles" bin so I can do my own digging.
Is this what a gambling addiction feels like? It doesn't even matter if you win or lose. It's the excitement of rolling the dice.

I mean you’re joking (I think?) but yes, this is a compulsion. It may not be as harmful as gambling, and unlike gambling, with this, you actually HAVE something after spending money, but the underlying neurosis remains the same.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

pwn posted:

I mean you’re joking (I think?) but yes, this is a compulsion. It may not be as harmful as gambling, and unlike gambling, with this, you actually HAVE something after spending money, but the underlying neurosis remains the same.

Mine's definitely closer to gambling because I like to buy up all the blank white label singles/bootlegs and take them home and clean them up and spin them to see if they're any good.
Sometimes you win. Sometimes you get a box full of incoherent screeching and ambient noise.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lazy Lynch and The Jack Cruz finally decided to show up

It is warped but since a vaccine will probably arrive before a replacement disc would, I’ll live with it. Or maybe not. I don’t know. Meanwhile,

Giga Gaia posted:

got my jack cruz and listened to it. now to put it in the stacks and forget it exists.

pwn posted:

Another $15 well-spent

pwn posted:

this is a compulsion.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh hey, I was just looking at Chris Schlarb's Bandcamp and it looks like he found a few extra copies of the first Psychic Temple album. This is actually my favorite of the four main PT albums and the packaging is really neat.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Even with an updated Discogs I still manage to buy duplicates far too often. Glad my brother is a BBNG fan, because he's getting my extra copy of III now.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

I have no idea what your musical tastes are, but last month I got Heritage by Mark de Clive-Lowe and tomorrow will probably pick up Heritage II.

Some other random recs:

CBD by Count Bass D harkens back to his Dwight Spitz/Act Your Waist Size days.

Butcher Brown's Afrokuti: A Tribute to Fela. My favorite local jazz band doing Fela-inspired beats.

IV by Chris Schlarb's Psychic Temple aka the guy who did the awesome Dropsy soundtrack.

BADBADNOTGOOD - III Wait holy poo poo they reissued this album? Whelp I know what I'm getting tomorrow.

pwn posted:

Gonna proselytize on behalf of my beloved, Tuscon’s own Golden Boots. Strongly suggest DBX ‘n’ SPF. There’s 1 left. Grab this loving album! There’s also the handmade cover version if you wanna spend a few more dollars. Dmitri does the art. There’s 8 of those left. Labyryyynth is a great one too. Sadly most of their catalogue is out of print and, while mostly affordable on Discogs, that doesn’t help the artist and doesn’t fit the nature of your request. Still, check them out. And buy DBX ‘n’ SPF.

Ballz posted:

Oh hey, I was just looking at Chris Schlarb's Bandcamp and it looks like he found a few extra copies of the first Psychic Temple album. This is actually my favorite of the four main PT albums and the packaging is really neat.

Thanks for these!

I ended up getting a little something from everyone's recommendations (including that last copy of DBX 'n' SPF). Also grabbed that new Count Bass D on digital because I know I'll want to play it while driving. For the stuff that was new-to-me, I only listened to a couple samples each to see how I liked it, so when they arrive at the end of July, it's going to be a great time for new music discovery. Thanks again to everyone who suggested something!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Even with an updated Discogs I still manage to buy duplicates far too often. Glad my brother is a BBNG fan, because he's getting my extra copy of III now.

Jesus, and I thought I had a problem. How many records do you even have?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I once bought duplicates on the same day. I saw it at a first store, waffled over it and then bought it, then a couple hours later was at another store and bought it again because I misremembered and thought I'd decided not to buy at the first place. My brain is broken. Worked out, though, because the first copy had an issue on the surface that I hadn't noticed, causing a skip during one song, while the second copy was pristine.

Also, my problem is that I'm not good about actually checking discogs for dupes before buying something.

Edit: It was OMD's Junk Culture, and one of these days I'm going to put in effort to try to fix the issue so I can resell it - it's a good album if you're into OMD.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 3, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Jesus, and I thought I had a problem. How many records do you even have?

Not nearly enough that it should even be a problem!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Not nearly enough that it should even be a problem!

I'm left to wonder if the folks in their thread have way more records than I do or if I don't have that issue because I'm on the spectrum and I have beep boop computer brain.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Enos Cabell posted:

Today I also discovered that BBNG has two different Bandcamp accounts offering different albums:

This page has mostly older stuff, including the Ghostface collaboration

This page includes more recent offerings, such as 12" single with Snoop Dogg that has a b-side etching

Their most recent album IV is also on vinyl in that second link. Definitely one of my favorite albums to come out of the last decade.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

I'm left to wonder if the folks in their thread have way more records than I do or if I don't have that issue because I'm on the spectrum and I have beep boop computer brain.

ive got a couple hundred and have definitely had to hit my discogs account up to make sure i wasnt buying a duplicate of some of my more prolific music makers like omar rodriguez-lopez, the residents, or charles ives or whatever. thats mostly because ive had lots of digital versions of their works that i listen to so i cant recall exactly which ones i own physical versions of.

I'll buy any recording of ives under $3 so he comes up pretty often.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I have absolutely no concept of the size of your record collection outside of Jack White and White Stripes-related releases. Could be 20 records, could be 800.

And an unloved copy of that live Sleep album.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
First new release from Dillinger Four since 2008. Live album, it kicks rear end: https://dillingerfour.bandcamp.com/album/the-end-live-at-the-death-of-the-triple-rock

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I'm phone posting from a parking lot like an unprepared scrub but in regards to Bandcamp no fee stuff, I'm a goon, I have a label, I press records, and you can check it out at wfbr.bandcamp.com. I can write about it at length in the future but that's the quick version. Cheers!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone who wants that Christeene LP better act fast they're down to less than a hundred copies.

caligulamprey posted:

I have absolutely no concept of the size of your record collection outside of Jack White and White Stripes-related releases. Could be 20 records, could be 800.

And an unloved copy of that live Sleep album.

I'll never tell.

I'll sell it to you if you want it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm phone posting from a parking lot like an unprepared scrub but in regards to Bandcamp no fee stuff, I'm a goon, I have a label, I press records, and you can check it out at wfbr.bandcamp.com. I can write about it at length in the future but that's the quick version. Cheers!

A few years ago someone on here was talking about their label and it was all garage rock type of poo poo. I was going to buy a bunch of it but then I forgot about it until just when you mentioned this. Were you the one with that label or is it another poster?

edit: Okay I just listened to some of the stuff on here and I'm pretty sure it was you. Thanks, pal!

edit 2: I promised myself I was only going to buy Christeene's Basura today and then I bought a bunch of your stuff. I HAVE BEEN DASHED UPON THE ROCKS BY YOUR SIREN SONG!

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 3, 2020

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

After listening to a ton of vaporwave and future funk lately, I decided I'd try my hand at picking up a copy of the new record Saint Pepsi put out today. I thought it sold out fast at 14 minutes but apparently that's anomaly? That's cool. Now I just wonder how long the shipping is going to take from the U.K.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I didn’t buy anything from band camp but I did get one of the Hey Arnold soundtracks from enjoy the ride today and I can’t wait for that to show up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm at a hair under 200, but my memory is really bad and I do dumb things like think to check discogs only after I hit buy.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Bread Dragon posted:

My wallet is angry, but I couldn't help grabbing one from your label as well. Just under the wire! Thanks for the heads up!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I have never looked at Bandcamp before today and now I have spent so much money.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just a couple of hours left, but here's a last-minute Ethio-jazz purchase idea: To Know Without Knowing by Mulatu Astatke and some band I never heard of.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

I listened to this and enjoyed it enough to buy one. Nice

marjorie posted:

Thanks for these!

I ended up getting a little something from everyone's recommendations (including that last copy of DBX 'n' SPF).

:hfive: h*ck yea borther :c00l:

quote:

body count chat

I haven’t counted in a few years and i never really knuckled down to catalogue everything on discogs, lemme just spend the next 5 minutes bent over counting in the vinyl fields

Crate 1: 69 (nice)
Crate 2: 45
Crate 3 (White Stripes): 11 (Vault box sets which are large are being counted as one title)
Crate 4 (Belle and Sebastian): 30 (Jeepster 12” Ep collection counted as one, though I also counted the four OG EPs individually... so inconsistent)
Crate 5: 58
Crate 6: 66

279, plus literally hundreds each of 7”s and CDs. And a few dozen tapes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

According to Discogs in at 800, but I’m bad about keeping track properly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

IG-88 posted:

After listening to a ton of vaporwave and future funk lately, I decided I'd try my hand at picking up a copy of the new record Saint Pepsi put out today. I thought it sold out fast at 14 minutes but apparently that's anomaly? That's cool. Now I just wonder how long the shipping is going to take from the U.K.

Aw gently caress I didn't know he was releasing another album today or I would have tried to grab it. 14 minutes is an eternity when it comes to his albums. I managed to get Mannequin Challenge.

They've been teasing a reprint of Hit Vibes. I really want to snag a copy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trevor Hale posted:

I have never looked at Bandcamp before today and now I have spent so much money.
haha, yes I remember discovering bandcamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONtCoB0L70

I love a stinky fresh Techmoan :allears: