Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's a moment with darling later on that pretty much everybody goes holy poo poo at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

What's the newest best thing for PC gaming graphics? My big office pc still has the <checks spec> GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 that I bought in 2015 and it will still run p. much anything at 1080p I ask and for games older than a couple of years it will more or less keep up with 4k60.

I haven't kept up with 'Gaming Hardware News' at all, have there been big strides in the last 5 years?

<edit> https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-Titan-X-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/3282vs4027

OK so a bunch more power I guess.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 2, 2020

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
video

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1278479987738378241

games

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
input/output

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

What's the newest best thing for PC gaming graphics? My big office pc still has the <checks spec> GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 that I bought in 2015 and it will still run p. much anything at 1080p I ask and for games older than a couple of years it will more or less keep up with 4k60.

I haven't kept up with 'Gaming Hardware News' at all, have there been big strides in the last 5 years?

<edit> https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-Titan-X-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/3282vs4027

everyone is waiting for the next gen to drop, which is normally always true, but especially true rn iykwim. i wouldn't buy a card that doesn't have at least the raytracing capacity that the new consoles will have as that will be benchmark hardware for the next 5 years.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

dragon enthusiast posted:

there's a moment with darling later on that pretty much everybody goes holy poo poo at
just finished the game and don’t think I ran into that moment, but

very good game nonetheless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah a titan x is older but isn't gonna be killing you with its slowness at this point and the 3000 series, which will supposedly be the first cards built around raytracing (vs the 2000 series where it was kind of a bolt-on) and which will have similar performance to what's gonna be in the new consoles, should be out in the fall.

i would wait and get a 3080.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My 2080ti can run path of exile at nearly 60fps.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

madeupfred posted:

did you ditch the Norton's Niggas gangtag or was it taken from you?

My avatar has been changed and restored a bunch so I have no idea.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i went past the edge of the crater. it wasn't wise

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i wish i hadn’t bounced off god of war 2018 to play something else last year because now i have no loving clue how to play this anymore

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

games should have an optional 5 minute mini tutorial/plot catch-up if it sees you haven’t played in more than a week.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

lol. hope you didn't take a vehicle over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

did you know? the ghost leviathans are actually filter feeders that only consume plankton. when they attack you it's just because they are p i s s e d  o f f

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i wish i hadn’t bounced off god of war 2018 to play something else last year because now i have no loving clue how to play this anymore

hit enemies with your axe

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Uptime Sinclair posted:

just finished the game and don’t think I ran into that moment, but

very good game nonetheless

its where you find his final video message and he takes off his shirt and he's loving jacked

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

hit enemies with your axe
going to have to try this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

its where you find his final video message and he takes off his shirt and he's loving jacked
lol oh yeah

i also loved the music video

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

lol oh yeah

i also loved the music video

it was the most surreal poo poo it was great

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i bought a 1708 xbone controller and the d pad is so good i can barely believe it

it's pretty good overall, but they knocked it out the park with the d pad

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

holy poo poo this giant octopus can just disable my vehicle, which is scarier than the warper’s bullshit. oh wait, turns out there’s warpers here too with the octopus. gently caress this game. i love this game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i figured out god of war again. it was fireflies

turns out i last played it 6 months ago lol

luckily i didn’t waste upgrades unlocking a bunch of weird combos I won’t use. just fighting a lightning dragon and i kind of forgot what a ps4 could do when devs push the limits

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
DAD of BOY was good but felt incomplete, like they had to axe (har) several of the planned levels. it was loving pretty though. it also made my ps4 sound like it was about to explode

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kuvo posted:

DAD of BOY was good but felt incomplete, like they had to axe (har) several of the planned levels. it was loving pretty though. it also made my ps4 sound like it was about to explode

the weirdest part is the one destination on the central teleporter labeled "this realm is sealed by order of odin" or something similar. it's so short and arbitrary that it really feels like it'll be unlocked in the future by something out of context like a DLC release but that never happened and they insist there was never any plan for it to happen

I guess they decided they had to put all 9 realms on the dial for authenticity but had no good ideas for what to put in that one

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

haveblue posted:

the weirdest part is the one destination on the central teleporter labeled "this realm is sealed by order of odin" or something similar. it's so short and arbitrary that it really feels like it'll be unlocked in the future by something out of context like a DLC release but that never happened and they insist there was never any plan for it to happen

I guess they decided they had to put all 9 realms on the dial for authenticity but had no good ideas for what to put in that one

probably just content that was cut during development but they didn't want to also remove that teleporter thing

it often happen that artifacts from cut content are left behind in games for a reason or another

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i figured it was going to be dlc cus they wrapped up the moms ashes story arc thing but never resolved odin/thor being a dick one. they also left the whole loki plot thread dangling

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kuvo posted:

i figured it was going to be dlc cus they wrapped up the moms ashes story arc thing but never resolved odin/thor being a dick one. they also left the whole loki plot thread dangling
sequel bait imo. allows you to reuse assets!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

holy poo poo this giant octopus can just disable my vehicle, which is scarier than the warper’s bullshit. oh wait, turns out there’s warpers here too with the octopus. gently caress this game. i love this game.

it's so goddamned good and i love the crabsquid. that echoing drrrrrrrrrr tik tik tik tik tik it makes is 2spoopy but i think it's really beautiful and i felt really bad when i accidentally killed one by ramming it with the submarine.

wait until you find a mesmer :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i already met those little shits :mad:

i really want a crabsquid for my containment tank

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is rdd2 really that good

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
urgh I just spend most of the day playing 'oxygen not included' and I'm mad about it

it's fine for a little while but you quickly realize that in trying to marry 'terraria' with 'rimworld' they neglected to prioritize half the usability of either. it's buggy and infuriating and i'm glad i turned it the gently caress off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

is rdd2 really that good

i got to the first town after the tutorial bit and accidentally shot a guy because the controls are horrible and never played again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

red dead dedemption 2?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Been trying to get a set of 4 Valve Index base stations for a literal year now

Pandemic things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

red dead dedemption 2?

yesp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

there are very few videogames i actively enjoy. rdr2 is one. its awesome. play it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s it i’mgettinf it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

get on a horse, go into cinematic camera, hold A, smoke a bowl

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

seriouspostibg about vidya shames: there’s something about rdr2 and it’s open world which makes it feel shallow, like you find a farmhouse and the only thing you can anticipate is either getting ignored or shot at. Fallout did this much better, where a lot of locations told a little story and you could interact with the npc’s so exploring had always a sense of excitement to it. in rdr2 it’s just wilderness, animals and bandits. I found a cool house with all sorts of lamps and stuff inside but there was no way to get inside or any hint of what that house was so it was just static graphics as far as I could tell. meh.

something about the rdr2 approach just felt hollow, even though it’s gorgeous and very well made otherwise.

fallout is way uglier but somehow a lot more compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rdr2 missions are so railroaded they might as well have replaced the gameplay entirely with cinematic s and quick time events