Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Michael Tracey just not even bothering with the dogwhistles anymore

i'm hearing this idea more and more, maybe there's something to it? thanks mikey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Just give Jefferson a bandana and a Hatsune Miku binder.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think it should be returned to the Lakota Sioux. Maybe the original form that was sacred to them can be recreated somehow, if that is what they wish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you're gonna put dunks somewhere you should put them where people have to look at them, like on the plinths they pulled columbus and the confederates off.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it should be returned to the Lakota Sioux. Maybe the original form that was sacred to them can be recreated somehow, if that is what they wish.
Yeah you can't uncarve a mountain, but I believe the stolen land should be returned to the Lakota Sioux and aid should be given to help them restore the mountains however they wish, given that resources are already stretched fairly thin in their community.

Also Abraham Lincoln signed off on the biggest mass execution in US history, of 38 Dakota men executed in Minnesota. However! It was supposed to be a bigger execution! He pardoned 264 Dakota men, the execution was supposed to be for 303 men. I certainly don't think his face should have been carved into the Black Hills, which should have belonged to the Lakota Sioux all along, I just want to point out that that specific incident was more complicated, and primarily revolved around the Dakota starting to raid farmsteads in response to the ongoing genocide and starvation they were experiencing at the time. The men Lincoln didn't pardon were ones he believed had been proven to participate not just in the battles, but in farmstead massacres. However, his original intention had been to pardon everyone who hadn't participated in rape, which he discarded when he discovered only two accused rapists among all 303 men, a number he thought was too few for the statement that 'had to be made' to discourage further uprisings.

I definitely don't agree with his decision making, I imagine all the trials were quite shoddy and if anything, he should have stuck to his guns and pardoned all but two. He hosed up.

EDIT: I know about all this because I grew up in Minnesota and the Dakota War of 1862, resulting mass execution, and expulsion of the Dakota from the entire territory of Minnesota are something I got taught about in school, as was the context that the Dakota were pressed to the brink and experiencing starvation by deliberate genocide before violence erupted.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You don't, in fact, have to hand it to him.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Oh and a third of the pardoned men died of disease over the winter as they were imprisoned, not even going to get into how many Dakota died because of their internment and forced relocation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah you can't uncarve a mountain

Has someone contacted the manufacturer of Spackle for a feasibility study?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean all the rocks and rubble is still there, they never bothered cleaning it up after the nazi sculptor was done

Just glue it back, it worked for the thing in NH *finger to ear* uh wait

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Yeah you can't uncarve a mountain, but I believe the stolen land should be returned to the Lakota Sioux and aid should be given to help them restore the mountains however they wish, given that resources are already stretched fairly thin in their community.

The Road to Omaha is a (hilarious, in my opinion; prepare yourself for some stereotypes that wouldn't fly today, though) novel about General MacKenzie "Madman Mac the Hawk" Hawkins digging up a suppressed treaty ceding all the land belonging to SAC to a native tribe. It's the semi-sequel to The Road to Gandolfo, where the same main character kidnaps the pope and replaces him with his not-very-bright opera-singing doppelganger cousin.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I mean all the rocks and rubble is still there, they never bothered cleaning it up after the nazi sculptor was done

Just glue it back, it worked for the thing in NH *finger to ear* uh wait

yeah, I visited it a couple years ago and that struck me as kind of weird. there's literally just piles of blown up rocks all over.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

yeah, I visited it a couple years ago and that struck me as kind of weird. there's literally just piles of blown up rocks all over.

It’s the Sioux’s sacred land, let them clean it up

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

mind the walrus posted:

Literally anyone who hides behind the "it's fascinating" defense can get hosed with a pineapple. It really isn't difficult to be fascinated by dark aspects of history while keeping context in discussion.

From a while back, but I completely agree.

But I would argue that why do they find 1930s-40s Germany so "fascinating? History is ace, and there are fascinating parts all over. But so many people choose to focus on that small part of the world at that particular time. Why don't you find the Mughal empire of the subcontinent fascinating? Are you as interested in Colonial Australia, which has many fascinating characters and stories? What about the War of the Roses in England? Or maybe the family stories of the Hapsburgs or DeMedicis with their fascinating characters and stories would be more to your liking etc. (And I know I have been Eurocentric even with my examples. But that is because my world history knowledge is woefully inadequate.)

Anyone who says , "Oh I just like the history of this, (nazi), stuff. Isn't it interesting." Is either a closet Nazi, or lying to themselves when there is so much other history to be fascinated by.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why don't you find the Mughal empire of the subcontinent fascinating?

I need to read more about it, The Anarchy centers on it quite a bit and it's intense.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yo, check it. Video games and movies were a mistake.

https://twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/1279173199918292992

https://twitter.com/xo_pinkishheart/status/1277693156167991296

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Love to re-read my script standing up, so easy to remember lines that way.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
What stupid thing are the Gamers angry about now that they're sending Bailey death threats?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fishstick posted:

What stupid thing are the Gamers angry about now that they're sending Bailey death threats?

She voiced a character that killed a character people were attached to, and it’s the usual “can’t separate actor from character” disease with a side of Gamer Madness.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/itspatrickagain/status/1279324086754250754?s=19

Patrick not the idiot etc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

“For the record, the only things banned from [Christopher Nolan’s] sets are cell phones (not always successfully) and smoking (very successfully),” Nolan’s spokesperson Kelly Bush Novak of ID said in a statement. “The chairs Anne was referring to are the directors chairs clustered around the video monitor, allocated on the basis of hierarchy not physical need. Chris chooses not to use his but has never banned chairs from the set. Cast and crew can sit wherever and whenever they need and frequently do.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/christopher-nolan-disputes-chair-ban-phones-cigarettes-1234570631/

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Michael Tracey just not even bothering with the dogwhistles anymore

Give it back to the Sioux imo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/1279140315526500355?s=21

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

There are layers of idiocy in this guy. Not the dude in plastic Lederhosen, he's not the idiot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Not to worry, a hero has stood up to remind everyone of the fact that she's only shown us 6 tweets and she claims to be getting mostly support despite that ergo the ratio to threats to hunt her down slit her wrists and eat her kids in front of her to compliments must be 6:5,000,000 and she's actually doing it for attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6m4-mls6A

It's always a good sign when you see a video titled 'Death threats? Oh no, this is bad for people who just don't like the game!' as that's the main focus on their mind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RareAcumen posted:

Yo, check it. Video games and movies were a mistake.
One of the idiots showed up to defend themself:

https://twitter.com/acer3233/status/1279179339821649922
And a few people in the replies are basically going "well, they apologised, can't hold it against them" like as though getting so angry at a video game that you send death threats to an actor is just a normal, unavoidable part of life.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
All these terrible people saying she "ruined" TLoU2 just make me think "She must have fuckin' nailed the performance."

Laura Bailey deserves better than to have to deal with this poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's honestly pretty impressive that she wrote, programmed, modeled, and voice acted the entire game herself. No wonder they're mad some video game character died or whatever, when one person fully made that decision.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I don’t see the idiocy here?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Arivia posted:

I don’t see the idiocy here?

The idiocy is the government asking for a public consultation on a practice which has been thoroughly debunked, is actively harmful, is condemned by the royal college of psychiatrists and moreover is something the government already promised to outlaw 2 years ago. Its not a matter for public debate, or at least it shouldn't be and doesnt need to be. And this coming on the heels of a similar petition about the gender recognition act which, when it showed wide support for trans rights, the tory government decided to bin as it had been "obviously inflated by trans rights activists".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/1279375311499558914?s=21
https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/1274329926141980672?s=21

And to make this even more stupid:
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1258953651160256513?s=21
https://twitter.com/huffpost/status/1278779951148339200?s=21

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SiKboy posted:

The idiocy is the government asking for a public consultation on a practice which has been thoroughly debunked, is actively harmful, is condemned by the royal college of psychiatrists and moreover is something the government already promised to outlaw 2 years ago. Its not a matter for public debate, or at least it shouldn't be and doesnt need to be. And this coming on the heels of a similar petition about the gender recognition act which, when it showed wide support for trans rights, the tory government decided to bin as it had been "obviously inflated by trans rights activists".

I'm of mixed feelings about that. In Canada our proposed federal ban is a mess specifically because the government didn't consult with stakeholders (particularly trans people) enough. If the UK government is using it as a justification not to ban/water down a ban, then that's not good; but I'd rather have more consultation than less on this issue.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

They did that in Scotland. A consultation on reforming the GRA came back 70-30 in favour of self-id, but some TERFs got a bit stroppy so they had another consultation which ended up with the same level of support.

Sadly, the reforms in Scotland are probably going to stall out too because Nicola Sturgeon’s most likely successor is the woman who complained about that “shut the gently caress up TERF” anime meme in the House of Commons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TinTower posted:

They did that in Scotland. A consultation on reforming the GRA came back 70-30 in favour of self-id, but some TERFs got a bit stroppy so they had another consultation which ended up with the same level of support.

Sadly, the reforms in Scotland are probably going to stall out too because Nicola Sturgeon’s most likely successor is the woman who complained about that “shut the gently caress up TERF” anime meme in the House of Commons.

Gotcha. I can understand why you'd be wary across the pond, then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

TinTower posted:

the woman who complained about that “shut the gently caress up TERF” anime meme in the House of Commons.

Goal: get her to print out and wave around the Sonic meme.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

PetraCore posted:

Also Abraham Lincoln signed off on the biggest mass execution in US history, of 38 Dakota men executed in Minnesota. However! It was supposed to be a bigger execution! He pardoned 264 Dakota men, the execution was supposed to be for 303 men. I certainly don't think his face should have been carved into the Black Hills, which should have belonged to the Lakota Sioux all along, I just want to point out that that specific incident was more complicated, and primarily revolved around the Dakota starting to raid farmsteads in response to the ongoing genocide and starvation they were experiencing at the time. The men Lincoln didn't pardon were ones he believed had been proven to participate not just in the battles, but in farmstead massacres. However, his original intention had been to pardon everyone who hadn't participated in rape, which he discarded when he discovered only two accused rapists among all 303 men, a number he thought was too few for the statement that 'had to be made' to discourage further uprisings.

I definitely don't agree with his decision making, I imagine all the trials were quite shoddy and if anything, he should have stuck to his guns and pardoned all but two. He hosed up.

EDIT: I know about all this because I grew up in Minnesota and the Dakota War of 1862, resulting mass execution, and expulsion of the Dakota from the entire territory of Minnesota are something I got taught about in school, as was the context that the Dakota were pressed to the brink and experiencing starvation by deliberate genocide before violence erupted.

Thank you for posting this, sincerely. I've studied US history and I never learned about this, and having read up on the Dakota War, even as briefly as I have, I'm newly ashamed to be white in America. Our history is monstrous and we absolutely should be making reparations to anyone we can. gently caress Mt. Rushmore, gently caress Michael Tracey, gently caress this whole goddamned racist imperialist country.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
goddammit John

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1279105937404579841

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Really hoping he thinks better of it, especially after being called out by a colleague.
https://twitter.com/rboyce/status/1279112455352758272

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

What "pun" am I missing? The Communist Manifesto was one example of a manifesto, it's not a pun to use a word's correct definition properly in a sentence.

Also gently caress those transphobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Karia posted:

What "pun" am I missing? The Communist Manifesto was one example of a manifesto, it's not a pun to use a word's correct definition properly in a sentence.

Also gently caress those transphobes.

Conservatives aren't smart, otherwise they wouldn't be conservatives.