Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Wait seriously? I had no loving idea

PittTheElder posted:

Resettling is so arduous interface-wise that it's not worth it generally speaking. So I just make good generalist pops when I'm gene modding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6O-ugrRrw8 I'm sure most people ITT know most of these things already, but holy gently caress is it helpful to know that you can, say tell your population to sort their poo poo out themselves and move to worlds where the work or housing is. I would never know or find this stuff on my own, especially when it literally involves reading through multi-tier galactic community resolution fine print then getting it passed, I avoid Galactic Community stuff like death but some of it might be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Appreciate it, gotta check this out.

No way I'm passing greater than ourselves though, Stratified Economy is so good, and all these slaves just don't have the capacity to govern themselves, they need us looking out for them!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's completely insane that you need to have a space un measure approved to allow citizens to behave in a normal way internally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

And Tyler Too! posted:

:psyduck:

District Overhaul isn't perfect but come *on.* Also, do *not* pick the Remnant Origin with DO2 or your homeworld will start with -11 housing like mine did, learned that one the hard way.

hello, which UI mod is that?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Truga posted:

hello, which UI mod is that?

UI Overhaul Dynamic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1623423360
Tiny Outliner v2: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1610578060
Compatibility Patch: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1628912584

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Okay, my experience with Stellaris is:

I install, I have fun, I finally declare an expansionist war, and then I uninstall because of ridiculous bullshit I do not understand. I win every battle, but I can never just conclude the war and get anything out of it.

Here is my Year 3 Attempt:

- I force Claims on a neighbor, I hate them, I want to steal the systems, I don't care much about the planets.

- In the few seconds in between getting Claims and we declaring war, they join a Federation. Now I'm at war with half of the galaxy. Okay, fine.

- Someone else jumps into my war, on 'my side', but not my ally or anything. We have a non-aggression pact.

THE WAR:

Brilliant victories, all around. No problem here. My enemy capitol planet is unable to be invaded because it is 'uninhabitable'. I spend a zillion years developing Robot Armies so I can invade it. This will of course turn out to be pointless. In the meantime, my 'ally' invades the planet and occupies it.

So, my Warscore is way up but my enemies don't sue for peace because I have 'unoccupied claims and planets' which is -200 to acceptance, purely because of one system, which to be honest, IS OCCUPIED (but not by me).

After much befuddlement, I figure out that I must now declare war on my 'ally'. I have to cancel all our treaties and wait 10 whole drat years to be able to fight the war.

Now, I finally have the Robot Army ready, and declare war on my former ally, and now I still can't invade the planet because it is 'uninhabitable'. What is uninhabitable to robots? Does this just mean these aliens get an invincible home planet because it makes my guys feel bad? We can colonize the vastness of space but can't build environment suits to invade a single worthless planet, and we must now lose the DOZENS of others I've claimed in a White Peace because of this?

What can I do to prevent myself from uninstalling this game out of pure frustration. I feel like it throws up constant roadblocks to conquest that are completely arbitrary. I feel like rather than focusing on any sort of immersive military strategy, I fight my wars not against evil aliens but an inscrutable interface that just won't let me conquer anything.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 4, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Welcome to warfare in Paradox games. The way to prevent that is to be proactive. Don't beeline the capital for reason, occupy your claims first and foremost. This is the territory you are trying to take, it makes sense that you would make some attempt to actually take it.

That third empire isn't your ally, he's just a competitor knocking your enemy while he's down.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Warfare in Stellaris is a total shitshow unless you're playing as a a genocidal empire (Devouring Swarm, Fanatic Purifiers, Determined Exterminators, or Terravores) because they completely do away with the dumbass claims/casus belli system. You pick a target, click the war button, and go straight to slaughtering without having to drain all of your influence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is why you want to take the colossus project basically always

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

PittTheElder posted:

Welcome to warfare in Paradox games. The way to prevent that is to be proactive. Don't beeline the capital for reason, occupy your claims first and foremost. This is the territory you are trying to take, it makes sense that you would make some attempt to actually take it.

That third empire isn't your ally, he's just a competitor knocking your enemy while he's down.

I claimed basically all of their systems, but the capitol is necessary because it sits at a hyperlane chokepoint and if I let them keep it then I won't be able to send ships without begging permission from these weaklings. I just didn't realize a planet could be so inhospitable to my guys that they are unwilling to even send ROBOTS down there to kill these aliens.

I suppose there is a way far in the future to unlock 1940's style "Bomb the poo poo out of them Tech" but my puny Xenophobes are unwilling to kill the last 11 pops on a planet.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Warfare sucks and AI empires still just exist to be conquered by the player despite the attempts at improving peacetime diplomacy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I claimed basically all of their systems, but the capitol is necessary because it sits at a hyperlane chokepoint and if I let them keep it then I won't be able to send ships without begging permission from these weaklings. I just didn't realize a planet could be so inhospitable to my guys that they are unwilling to even send ROBOTS down there to kill these aliens.

I suppose there is a way far in the future to unlock 1940's style "Bomb the poo poo out of them Tech" but my puny Xenophobes are unwilling to kill the last 11 pops on a planet.

Well in your defense that inhabitable planet thing sounds like an actual bug. Post screenshots? Are you using mods?

That used to show up, but I haven't seen it be an issue in years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

And Tyler Too! posted:

You pick a target, click the war button, and go straight to slaughtering without having to drain all of your influence.

what the hell else am i gonna spend all this influence on man!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Habitats.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr. Grapes! posted:

What bombardment stance are you using? You select it on the fleet orbiting their planet.

One of them never kills the last 10 pops.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Getting the Irassian precursor is pretty good if you plan to war because their relic gives you access to a special bombing stance that can kill the last pop on a planet long before you can colossus purge them. It does turn the planet into a tomb world but you can terraform it once you randomly luck into the techs required. It is of course nowhere near as good as a relic world, magically pulling alloys out of your rear end or any of the other actually powerful precursor bonuses but it's not useless.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
It's a rarity in my games to have to do put boots on a Machine World or whatever but I can't recall ever having issues having plain ol' Regular Soldiers land on a planet to occupy/pacify/etc. it. What kind of world is your enemy's planet that you can't take?

e: just to clarify, to fully occupy a system you need to not just own the starbase on it but have landed on, and won in combat, every planet or habitat in that system. I've had wars be really confusing to end because I missed some lovely moon on the edge of a backwater or whatever. There are different icons on the galactic map for partially/fully occupying a system.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 4, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Warfare in Stellaris is a total shitshow unless you're playing as a a genocidal empire (Devouring Swarm, Fanatic Purifiers, Determined Exterminators, or Terravores) because they completely do away with the dumbass claims/casus belli system. You pick a target, click the war button, and go straight to slaughtering without having to drain all of your influence.

The halfway mark is Driven Assimilators, which can engage in diplomacy at a hefty penalty but also have the total war cb. Or, yeah, Colossus Project.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Federations worth full price?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you really like the game, yeah. If not, not really. It adds a bunch of origins that are good fun and vastly improves federations themselves obviously, and some other stuff, but it's not totally necessary or anything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Epsilon Plus posted:

It's a rarity in my games to have to do put boots on a Machine World or whatever but I can't recall ever having issues having plain ol' Regular Soldiers land on a planet to occupy/pacify/etc. it. What kind of world is your enemy's planet that you can't take?

e: just to clarify, to fully occupy a system you need to not just own the starbase on it but have landed on, and won in combat, every planet or habitat in that system. I've had wars be really confusing to end because I missed some lovely moon on the edge of a backwater or whatever. There are different icons on the galactic map for partially/fully occupying a system.

Also worth noting that you can put troops on aggressive and they will automatically invade a planet in the system they are in if they think they can win. Unfortunately/fortunately, after combat is over, they create a fresh new transport that is set to passive, but the fortunate part is that if you have jump drives, the jump drive cooldown is reset as well, so you can quickly hop them all over an enemy empire and take each planet in sequence.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
There is so much good in this game but also so very much poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ShadowHawk posted:

What bombardment stance are you using? You select it on the fleet orbiting their planet.

One of them never kills the last 10 pops.

One never kills the last 10, another never kills the last 20. By default only Purifiers, Exterminators, and empires that have the Irassian relic ever get access to a bombardment stance that can kill the last pop on a colony. (alternatively there's Colossi but I think those require the Apocalypse DLC?)

And even then you normally have to set empire policy to allow fleets to use that setting before you can set the bombardment stance per fleet.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Grapes! posted:

You don't have to inhabit every world you conquer. Most planets can be taken with a handful of armies, I usually have 10 on standby. Conquer it, and then when the war ends move your pops back to a more suitable planet and set the original species to be purged.

Only genocidal empires or empires with the Javorian Pox can bomb a planet into an apocalyptic shithole and kill every pop.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an important early-game tip: sell your consumer goods and food. It's literal free energy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Black Pants posted:

Here's an important early-game tip: sell your consumer goods and food. It's literal free energy.

Although if you have Caligula's politics and rebellion mods (and you should!) going to Hard-0 food may cause a pop to flee as refugees.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Also when doing wars early on, unless you're one of the civics that can do total war to begin with (Ravenous Swarm, Purgers, etc.) plan to go in chunks. The opponent can force you to take a white peace if your exhaustion hits 100% so it's better to take chunks off especially if they're on planets you can't get easily. I realize in your example you need the capital for a lane which sucks but usually I try to grab maybe 4-5 systems per war until I get the collosus.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If I'm surrounded by jerks I will wage a couple of humiliation wars for easy influence, and also because they're the easiest to win. Once you cripple their fleets the AI usually surrenders ASAP.

Anyways I tried out the more political events mod, two of my planets began protesting how democracy was evil and both had 250% authoritarian ethics attraction and -15% happiness for 5 years. Then after the protests ended the entire populace decided to be pissed forever and both worlds now have a permanent -10% happiness modifier. No loving thank you, uninstalled that mod in record time.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 5, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Affi posted:

Nice to see some things never change.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Black Pants posted:

I don't know why, but I always end up with tons of minerals and energy, and occasionally have to sell tons of minerals to buy additional food and consumer goods.

I probably played robots too much.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Libluini posted:

I don't know why, but I always end up with tons of minerals and energy, and occasionally have to sell tons of minerals to buy additional food and consumer goods.

I probably played robots too much.

Everyone does this 'cause building slots limit your production of consumer goods and alloys

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone had trouble getting the L-Cluster to spawn? Across several games I haven't seen it appear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Black Pants posted:

You'll want them to build colony ships.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Take screenshots. I have never experienced an "inhospitable" issue for invasion and I'm tempted to say that you are clicking on an uninhabitable planet instead of maybe a moon orbiting it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno how many folks here have seen Xenonion News Network, but it's a pretty fun fan project. It's just like the name says, it's The Onion but for Stellaris "news". It's a small group with a patreon that runs it, and they don't always nail the humor, but it's a nice, silly thing I like to see in my feed whenever something new pops up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno how many folks here have seen Xenonion News Network, but it's a pretty fun, silly little fan project. It's just like the name says, it's The Onion but for Stellaris "news". It's a small group with a patreon that runs it, and they don't always nail the humor, but it's a nice, silly thing I like to see in my feed whenever something new pops up.

Yeah, I have them on my FB feed. I like most of the articles they put up - certainly gives me a chuckle, when I see their newest article in the morning!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey thread it's been a while, what's up?

Affi posted:

Ah, it's like I never left

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I am never, ever joining a war again. Went in, kicked rear end, did all the heavy lifting as per usual but someone else declared a seperate war against the same enemy, occupied 2 or 3 starbases and now the war will never end because even though they have no worlds or allies or fleets at all, its sitting at 87% occupation and will forever because the AI can't settle the status quo.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Same but with federations. No you rear end don’t declare war and then not do anything for ten years while expecting me to do everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

wit posted:

I am never, ever joining a war again. Went in, kicked rear end, did all the heavy lifting as per usual but someone else declared a seperate war against the same enemy, occupied 2 or 3 starbases and now the war will never end because even though they have no worlds or allies or fleets at all, its sitting at 87% occupation and will forever because the AI can't settle the status quo.

The war will end two years after one of the major participants hits 100% war exhaustion.