Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honestly I think a lot of the common wisdom on what weapons suck in RE4 is just flat out wrong.

Stuff like the TMP and Killer7 being crap when the TMP is actually a really powerful tool with common ammo drops when you know to use it and the Killer7 is flat out better than the Broken Butterfly until the Broken Butterflies final upgrade, which is the cost of 15 rocket launchers to buy and is only usable in the penultimate chapter of the game.

Yeah I never realized how powerful the tmp was until I watched some speedruns where it's a weapon of choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The TMP is top-notch, no arguments there, but the Killer7 is unfortunately flawed; there's nothing wrong with the gun itself, besides the lack of exclusive upgrade hamstringing it compared to other completed guns, but its more there's nothing really left to use it on by the time you can buy it. You can get the Broken Butterfly for free, which is an obvious leg up over the K7's enormous 77k pricetag, and you get it early enough that you actually get the opportunity to use it for most of the game; the Killer7 has, what, a few JJs and U3 to use it on? Not to mention that by the time you get to Saddler, you'd be able to get the Butterfly's exclusive upgrade that finally lets it outclass the K7 otherwise, and you'll be able to afford most of it by simply not having bought the K7, and not having sold your presumably upgraded Broken Butterfly.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 1, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The big thing “wrong” about the Killer 7 is that it’s competing with “free.”

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I used the Killer 7 on my last play through because I forgot to get the free Broken Butterfly and it felt wrong paying for it. I feel like if you don't realise how good the tmp is by playing the main game then mercenaries teaches you that by having it be a crucial part of some characters kits.

A weapon I like but may not be that good is the Matilda where it's so easy to waste ammo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honestly I think a lot of the common wisdom on what weapons suck in RE4 is just flat out wrong.

Stuff like the TMP and Killer7 being crap when the TMP is actually a really powerful tool with common ammo drops when you know to use it and the Killer7 is flat out better than the Broken Butterfly until the Broken Butterflies final upgrade, which is the cost of 15 rocket launchers to buy and is only usable in the penultimate chapter of the game.

The TMP is so good for that opening area of 2-1, it's so good for taking out projectiles and just quickly capping people in the knees. It's just terrible if you try to use it for killing people directly.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I like to think a lot of people thougjt the TMP sucks then they go play Hunk in mercs and realise just how amazing it is. Still end up rarely buying it due to attaché space more than anything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In normal play, a weapon that is good at killing things directly also tends to be better than one that is mostly useful for its utility function. They've just got different requirements.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

At the start of the game, the utility function of triggering melee is way better than killing power. TMP loses a lot of value by the time you reach Castle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The TMP is actually great at killing normal enemies because it completely stunlocks them and you can do that to entire groups at once. When a single bullet can stop any movement toward you at a pretty significant range and you have another 49+ right behind it, and a pretty quick reload too, low damage doesn’t matter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I guess it's subjective. Whenever I tried to use it, I went through so many bullets so quickly that it never felt like it mattered that I had 50 of them, it still felt like less effective ammo per clip than I got out of my Red 9. Headshot juggling is really easy on Ganados, though, which helped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't know what's up with this RE4 run, a lot is going well but then I've had a few long stretches where ammo is just scarcer than I've ever seen, like to the point that it feels like a true survival horror on some crazy difficulty level. I just got through the first Garrador fight with literally one bullet and two flash grenades left, then had to deal with the mobs & dynamite guy in the next rooms with just those and my wits knife. I got exactly one box of bullets dropped from them and used a few, then what's in the next area? Not a save point, it's that extended setpiece where armies of guys try to kidnap Ashley while she does some crankin', and me with five bullets and nothing else. How :sweatdrop:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't know what's up with this RE4 run, a lot is going well but then I've had a few long stretches where ammo is just scarcer than I've ever seen, like to the point that it feels like a true survival horror on some crazy difficulty level. I just got through the first Garrador fight with literally one bullet and two flash grenades left, then had to deal with the mobs & dynamite guy in the next rooms with just those and my wits knife. I got exactly one box of bullets dropped from them and used a few, then what's in the next area? Not a save point, it's that extended setpiece where armies of guys try to kidnap Ashley while she does some crankin', and me with five bullets and nothing else. How :sweatdrop:

Dynamic difficulty is loving with you. Switch up weapons. Also, yeah, that part you mentioned is probably the hardest part of the game and I'm currently stuck on it too. I think there's some poo poo you can grab if you run around that big room but then leaving Ashley unguarded becomes a problem. It's a tough segment.

Also, put me down as loving the TMP too but my favorite weapon is by far the rifle since I love sniping and head shotting motherfuckers. Need to upgrade its reload speed though. I basically use the Red 9 for "normal" combat and picking dudes off, the rifle to snipe when I have some range, the TMP for groups at medium-ish range and the shotgun for up close when I'm getting swarmed or panicking.

I don't think there's any one "right way" to play it (unless you're following a speed run guide) and it feels like the game allows you to pick your own style for the most part.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that section is literally impossible to do with only five bullets. You need to be able to keep the cultists off of Ashley in order to progress, there's just no other way.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There are breakable objects in that room that hopefully drop bullets. That's probably the hardest section of the game, though, and you can jog back to the Merchant, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I think that section is literally impossible to do with only five bullets. You need to be able to keep the cultists off of Ashley in order to progress, there's just no other way.

Yeah I believe this is right, there are definitely items to pick up but I don't think I have the level of skill to start with that disadvantage. I mostly love the difficulty design choice, but it's occasionally aggravating that you can't just baby out and buy some ammo as a last resort.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Resident Evil 8: Village: New Details From Famitsu Interview

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah I believe this is right, there are definitely items to pick up but I don't think I have the level of skill to start with that disadvantage. I mostly love the difficulty design choice, but it's occasionally aggravating that you can't just baby out and buy some ammo as a last resort.
If you buy an ammo upgrade for a weapon you already have, it refills your magazine, so there's that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If you buy an ammo upgrade for a weapon you already have, it refills your magazine, so there's that.

I maxed those out at this point, lol. Buying more weapons is the only thing I can think of without completely reverting to an earlier save.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose you could sell and re-buy one you already have, although that pretty much rules out any chances of maxing your weapons on that run. It will give you enough money to buy-back most of what you've invested in upgrades for it, at least.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's some shotgun shells up the rafters in the Garrador arena, so that might help. For some ammo-saving tips, once you knock down enemies, always use the knife to finish them off. You can also go down the room where you and Ashley stand on two tiles to unlock the crank and leave Ashley in the corner to deal with the enemies outside. While there's a hole in the ceiling where a couple enemies drop from, they are so far away from doors that there's no danger of Ashley getting abducted.

Another thing is once you finish using the crank to move the stairway down, just run past the enemies with Ashley until you get the mini-cutscene of her pointing to the two cranks above the ledges, and then pause the game and restart from checkpoint. It should despawn all the enemies that were chasing after you.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
"new details" is being a bit generous, almost every answer, even about the inventory is "We can't say"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I maxed those out at this point, lol. Buying more weapons is the only thing I can think of without completely reverting to an earlier save.

That's why I wait until I'm just about out of ammo before buying the capacity increase. With the Striker, that can be up to 100 free shells!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never had the game just gank me outright like you're describing (and I loving suck at it) so maybe run around the lower floor real quick, break some poo poo and waste a few zombies to get some ammo. I'm at the same point and struggling but I have bullets for days so that's not my issue at all.

SO pissed this only coming out for the new consoles, which I will not be buying any time soon. Oh well. 4 years from now I'll pick up a used one and grab RE8 on the cheap like I did with RE7, Arkham Knight and 25 other games I found in flea markets and garage sales.

Patience, BiggerBoat. Patience everyone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Captain Hygiene posted:

i don't remember which version this is, but for some reason one of the versions is really sensitive to the game thinking you're doing a knife run if you're playing really efficiently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly that's about what it feels like. And yeah, I'm used to it being tough sometimes but I don't remember ever feeling quite this hosed over.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

"Gun's not just about shoot'n, it's about reload'n! You'll know what I'm talkin' about!"

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

SO pissed this only coming out for the new consoles, which I will not be buying any time soon. Oh well. 4 years from now I'll pick up a used one and grab RE8 on the cheap like I did with RE7, Arkham Knight and 25 other games I found in flea markets and garage sales.

Patience, BiggerBoat. Patience everyone.

It's coming out for Windows too though :confused:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, I've seen so many good games be console-exclusive the last few years that I actually believed that post sight unseen, but you're right. There's even already a 2021 release date set for it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh poo poo. Oh no.

I thought the main hall was a safe space. I made it back through the library and turned to find the big Hat man marching toward me. I freaked out and unloaded on him then sprinted to the typewriter.

RE2 remake is very good. However my mother needs to use my PC for most of the day due to WFH. How is the first game on the Switch?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OhFunny posted:

How is the first game on the Switch?

The RE1 HD remake? That worked fine for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
coming up on the end of resident evil 7 after putting it off for months and months

it's quite good, though the damage feedback on enemies stinks, the blood spatters on your screen are really annoying and i am an enormous dummy-dumb who missed an inventory upgrade and wasted like an hour juggling items because of it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Oh poo poo. Oh no.

I thought the main hall was a safe space. I made it back through the library and turned to find the big Hat man marching toward me. I freaked out and unloaded on him then sprinted to the typewriter.

RE2 remake is very good. However my mother needs to use my PC for most of the day due to WFH. How is the first game on the Switch?

The memory that will always stick with me from RE2 is running from X in the main hall for the first time, stumbling into Marvin, shoving a grenade in his mouth, and then continuing to run. After the grenade explodes and the top half of Marvin’s torso begin to splatter across the room Claire sorrowfully exclaims, “I’m sorry Marvin” as she runs away from a haymaker.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I also was very sorry to shoot Marvin with a shotgun and have his head explode from it. I should've expected that to happen, but at the time I was so rushed that I just used the biggest gun I had.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Sorry if this has already been talked about itt but would anyone recommend the Resident Evil 3 remake? Its "on sale" on steam for $39.59 usd. Part of the reason that I would be buying it would be for nostalgia

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Scientist posted:

Sorry if this has already been talked about itt but would anyone recommend the Resident Evil 3 remake? Its "on sale" on steam for $39.59 usd. Part of the reason that I would be buying it would be for nostalgia

then it probably wouldn't be for you, chief among its complaints is that it's severely chopped down the material from the original game and comes off as more of an overpriced expansion pack to RE2:R than anything

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Scientist posted:

I personally wouldn't recommend it until you can get it for 25$ or less. If it's nostalgia you're after, you won't find it. The game is very different from what the original Nemesis was. It's very action-heavy and linear.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Resident Evil 3 feels like DLC. Yeah, a lot of the features are there, the story is fine, and the game is alright but most people beat it in under 10 hours on their first playthrough without much difficulty, and it doesn't have a whole lot of replayability that the other games did.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

More like "under 4 hours." You can't get ten hours out of that game even if you try, although a slow first playthrough is going to get you about 7 or so easily enough. It's not really that much shorter than RE2make.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I took five hours almost exactly, and I'm not fast at solving a lot of the environmental puzzles. I liked it a lot but put the "must buy" price at $30 unless you really like replaying for scores & extra items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Would any of you recommend the 2 remake then? Full disclosure, I bought RE7 and was kinda not into it. Everything is way too scripted, you are given weapons but they are useless against like 90% of enemies which felt cheap, and the paths through the game are way too narrow.