Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah I just bought a bunch of the most common sizes for my truck from bolt depot and am very happy. Easy website to navigate and good pricing. Combine it with a few harbor freight organizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Consumer-grade, yes. I wouldn't call it a gold standard. It works OK for what it is. Useless on small stuff and slow on big stuff, but it does work.

The gold standard would be a Darex: https://www.darex.com/shop/sharpeners/v-390-drill-sharpener/

What he said, but I want to point out: Do Not buy the Harbor Freight version. That thing sucks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Seems like I can continue to buy a lot of replacement bits for those costs. All of em.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Seems like I can continue to buy a lot of replacement bits for those costs. All of em.

Not so much on mid-size stuff, especially if you're buying top-quality bits (like Norseman or Cle-Line/etc). It's worth sharpening, say, a 3/8" Norseman, or adjusting the point angle for use on AL or SS or whatever. I use my Drill Doctor regularly to split points too. It's tricky to do on a grinder.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well it seems HF is attempting to do something I never thought would happen. Past couple ads had no "freebie" item. This month they had the magnetic tray. Instead of free they are charging $0.69 for it. Wonder what MBA came up with that idea.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well it seems HF is attempting to do something I never thought would happen. Past couple ads had no "freebie" item. This month they had the magnetic tray. Instead of free they are charging $0.69 for it. Wonder what MBA came up with that idea.

There’s only 1 thing in the “free” category on HFQPDB. All the usually freebies are “under $1” now. https://www.hfqpdb.com/gallery/under1

Makes sense though. My local store is pretty cleaned out. Lots of empty shelf space.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

they are charging $0.69 for it.

Hell yeah!!

Hopefully bigger, "free" items will be priced at $4.20

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

eddiewalker posted:

Makes sense though. My local store is pretty cleaned out. Lots of empty shelf space.

I work with someone that has a 2nd job at HF, she says they are OOS/low on all kinds of stuff right now. They don't even have the free flashlights available so it doesn't matter if they are free :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

I work with someone that has a 2nd job at HF, she says they are OOS/low on all kinds of stuff right now. They don't even have the free flashlights available so it doesn't matter if they are free :)

I'm not surprised at all. Think about it: global freight has been a dumpster fire. 80% of air freight or something like that (don't remember exactly) was being done on commercial passenger flights. Those aren't happening so much now, so the rest of the the shipping industry is trying to deal with the lowered capacity. Yeah, of course HF isn't using air freight for free flashlights, but this stuff impacts the global chain, greatly increasing prices so........free/cheap stuff from china can't be free or cheap when everyone is bidding up even the slow boat shipping.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Best wheel ramps for a slightly slanted driveway? If that matters...or I'm wishing for death? I do have a set of rubber chocks I will use in conjunction. It's maybe a mid-size truck's worth of weight.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Best wheel ramps for a slightly slanted driveway? If that matters...or I'm wishing for death? I do have a set of rubber chocks I will use in conjunction. It's maybe a mid-size truck's worth of weight.
I've done this before, and I liked the plastic Rhino Ramps when I had them. I'd definitely put the ramps facing uphill, not down.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Harbor Freight has added an additional model to their jack stand recall, and will now offer cash refunds or store credit for any of their jack stands, if you feel unsafe about them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/js-de...14,387,685&uid=

Here's the text of the email I got:

quote:

To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

French Canadian posted:

Rhino ramps. Just make sure they are on solid ground and not straddling a crack/sunken part of the driveway.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rhino ramps. Just make sure they are on solid ground and not straddling a crack/sunken part of the driveway.

I have a set of these and yep they are great for when I just want to do the oil etc.... Race Ramps are good as well but expensive.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Harbor Freight has added an additional model to their jack stand recall, and will now offer cash refunds or store credit for any of their jack stands, if you feel unsafe about them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/js-de...14,387,685&uid=

Here's the text of the email I got:

I was thinking about getting the store credit for mine but when I checked out a few other options online they all have the same design so I'm suspicious that they are built by the same manufacturer. Is there a best type of jack stand design? I've seen some mention of better ones have a pin in them that you place after setting them up but I'm not sure how much better that is.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It looks like this is the failure point. So I guess avoid this design, which is basically every inexpensive jack stand.

I have some ones from ~2007 and honestly I might just weld a plate over that weld and call it done.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FatCow posted:

It looks like this is the failure point. So I guess avoid this design, which is basically every inexpensive jack stand.

I have some ones from ~2007 and honestly I might just weld a plate over that weld and call it done.

I’d just take them back for store credit... unless you’re a professional welder, I’d be reticent to risk my life on end user modifications

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean, I drive cars I welded the suspension together on. I'll probably just weld mine up too.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The replacements aren't any better. Are the replacement's replacements going to be any better? I don't know if I would do it but bending it back into shape and welding a big plate over it will probably still be an improvement over a new one even if the welds aren't great.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I thought I read somewhere the safety issue was due to the way some manufacturing tooling wore over time, leading to a creep in some dimension that lead to a reduction in strength? They're doing the recall because those were the parts made in the window of time that used that tooling, it's not the design that's bad (arguably).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I mean, I drive cars I welded the suspension together on. I'll probably just weld mine up too.

That’s fair, I forget the target audience here. I wouldn’t do it personally as I’d be afraid of overheating spots or changing the grain structure so it’s weak in a new direction and causing an unintended deficiency, but I also suck at welding.

So if the stands split along the middle like that, I’m assuming that would knock the pawl cattywampus and the load would drop. Would a locking pin guard against that failure mode?

E: Looking at it again I guess not, it’d probably just be a sudden load shift, though that could knock other poo poo loose

I mean, obviously the real solution is a garage lift system, but until then...

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 8, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If y'all have welders, why not jack up the car, then weld a support structure underneath it to hold it up? Make sure to buy a plasma cutter so you can disassemble it easier to lower the car when you are done.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

boxen posted:

I thought I read somewhere the safety issue was due to the way some manufacturing tooling wore over time, leading to a creep in some dimension that lead to a reduction in strength? They're doing the recall because those were the parts made in the window of time that used that tooling, it's not the design that's bad (arguably).

That was last week. Now there's weld defects on the replacements, an expanded recall, and a voluntary "if you don't feel safe, bring back any of our jack stands"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FatCow posted:

I thought most inexpensive jack stands were four legs made of angle iron connected at the bottom with some flat plate barely welded into place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Uthor posted:

If y'all have welders, why not jack up the car, then weld a support structure underneath it to hold it up? Make sure to buy a plasma cutter so you can disassemble it easier to lower the car when you are done.

I mean, if you have a welder and a drill you could fab up some tube-and-pin Jack stands with a ridiculous safety margin for pretty cheap

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It just say gently caress it and weld in full rally pin stands into your car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hydraulic jacks that extend from the bottom of the car like the Mach 5 / GT cars.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Hydraulic jacks that extend from the bottom of the car like the Mach 5 / GT cars.

Pneumatic!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Imagine being on the pit crew sponsored by Harbor Freight.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Imagine being on the pit crew sponsored by Harbor Freight.

Do you have to run to the store and replace your broken sockets between tire changes?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hey now they have only sold me two sets of stands that can kill me, I have not yet broke. A socket even using an Earthquake XT air ratchet rated at 1700ft/lbs

Took the stands back today and got myself a gift card:cheersbird:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's okay, I hear that Home Depot is selling replacements.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That is a disturbing set of implements

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well a F350 is a light vehicle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

It's okay, I hear that Home Depot is selling replacements.

UMMMMMMMMM

I HAVE SOME CONCERNS.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

UMMMMMMMMM

I HAVE SOME CONCERNS.

This should take care of them!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

This should take care of them!

I feel like the front of an f350 that's probably a diesel and is even on the side with the diff housing is probably more than 550lbs though

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That Homer Bucket's gotta have what, a 200-300% engineered safety margin on it right?

I think it's full of concrete

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think it actually has a jackstand behind it and it's only there to hold up the caliper and caliper bracket, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

I think it actually has a jackstand behind it and it's only there to hold up the caliper and caliper bracket, actually.

spoilsport good eye