Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

the other day my buddy told a story about taking the other 2 managers in his team out to reno in a little 172 back in the day, and they were so heavy that they cleared a mountaintop by like 75 feet lol

afterwards they told the story to their director and she poo poo herself and said NEVER DO THAT AGAIN

the place i work at specifically has an obscure policy that employees are not allowed to pilot aircraft for company trips because one time someone had a bad landing and nearly killed himself and a co-worker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

freeasinbeer posted:

now that I can be remote forever where should I live? would love to be on water or near it, and I guess cities are kinda out of the picture.

also preemptively let me say not Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. if I want to live in a post industrial shithole I’d move back to Baltimore.

First figure out whether or not living in a place with a lower COL than your current place will cause your company to lower your pay

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

owl_pellet posted:

First figure out whether or not living in a place with a lower COL than your current place will cause your company to lower your pay

so I asked around(as I am new), and the answer is that historically they haven’t and there is a large remote contingent of senior ICs.

in the bar old days they even paid to relocate an entire team to Germany, got them visas and kept them on NYC rates.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
there is actually a lot of beachfront or extremely beach adjacent property in central-ish florida if you like the water and you literally don’t care what kind of terrible people you live near.

also you could pick a Caribbean island like aruba and buy a place that could pay for itself by renting it out half the time. once the plague ends, that is.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

there is actually a lot of beachfront or extremely beach adjacent property in central-ish florida if you like the water and you literally don’t care what kind of terrible people you live near.

also you could pick a Caribbean island like aruba and buy a place that could pay for itself by renting it out half the time. once the plague ends, that is.

love 2 choose a place where it’s a three way race between whether the saltwater dissolves the limestone bedrock, new mosquito diseases, or gets too hot to go outside six months of the year

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

your property will get wiped out by floods and hurricanes

quote:

the plague will not end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

now that I can be remote forever where should I live? would love to be on water or near it, and I guess cities are kinda out of the picture.

also preemptively let me say not Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. if I want to live in a post industrial shithole I’d move back to Baltimore.

there is a lot of river and lakefront land in middle and eastern tennessee, which also has no state income tax though sales tax is consequently pretty high. on the other hand my cousin and her teenage daughter got spit on by another customer for wearing a mask in a grocery store last week, so don’t go too far into the rural areas if you choose that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DuckConference posted:

i had no idea ammo was the expensive. so when those youtube people unload a bunch of rounds on a target they're shooting like $5-10 at it?

yep. an average range day for me is about 100 rounds each of 9mm (25-30ish?) and 100 rounds of .223 (30-45 depending on if i shoot the nice stuff or not) plus an hour of lane rental which is like fifteen bucks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i remember the .303 stuff that remington sold being really expensive when i was a kid.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

mandatory mask ordinance just passed an hour ago, the county coming soon

2 months too late wackson

not the butthole of the world
-mayor jackson

perhaps the best worst quite this year

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i remember the .303 stuff that remington sold being really expensive when i was a kid.
you had/have one aye?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my dad had an enfield for a number of years. stamped mfg date of 1917 iirc.

i had a polish m44 for a while.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. an average range day for me is about 100 rounds each of 9mm (25-30ish?) and 100 rounds of .223 (30-45 depending on if i shoot the nice stuff or not) plus an hour of lane rental which is like fifteen bucks

come out to the PNW and there's quarries out in the woods you can legally shoot at, no charge.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean there are fuckloads of BLM land spots i could go to here but my range is a six minute drive. outdoor shooting is fun too though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i am hoping to go to my sister’s in-laws on PEI and shoot hella guns at the end of the month. gently caress yeah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

every couple of months i check to see how a long weekend would be there and every time it's 18 hours both ways and $1400

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

graph posted:

every couple of months i check to see how a long weekend would be there and every time it's 18 hours both ways and $1400

Back in '16 they were running a "Free immigration if Trump wins" site.

Maybe I should have pursued it, I liked Anne of Green Gables and (somehow) I did qualify as a "Skilled Worker" (:laffo:).

:shrug:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
pei was nice to visit not sure i'd want to live there though. saw a sweet bluegrass festival

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
a benefit of always working from home: when my eyebrows get too long, i can just blast 'em off when i give myself a haircut. nobody sees me up close, so nothing to worry about :peanut:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

a benefit of always working from home: when my eyebrows get too long, i can just blast 'em off when i give myself a haircut. nobody sees me up close, so nothing to worry about :peanut:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

prefect posted:

pink floyd’s the post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the image I have gradually constructed of prefect's life is truly bizarre.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde
why are your eyebrows growing? they're supposed to hit a certain length and stop, same as eyelashes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I'm frequently in awe. it's like, this can't be real but the alternative is even stranger

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and that one likes greenpos! and that one’s a goon!

who let the these fucklords in the chatroom?!

there's one puffin a vape! and that one's a bore!

if i had my way...they’d all be on ignore!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

he also has (had?) a wrx, which adds to the complexity.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

President Beep posted:

drat beep

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

:monocle:

President Beep posted:

he also has (had?) a wrx, which adds to the complexity.

have. it's a 2010 -- was about to get a new one just before the world fell off the edge of the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2010 is still plenty new. keep driving it and just get the timing belt changed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

2010 is still plenty new. keep driving it and just get the timing belt changed

yeah, i would have already gotten a new one, except they stopped making hatchback wrxes a few years ago, because they hate fun :argh:

(it's actually because people are shitheads who want suvs instead of station wagons :doom:)

i do need to get the air conditioner powered back up, though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah rip the hatchback. everybody buys those CUVs now

Cursed
Useless
Vehicle

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prefect posted:

yeah, i would have already gotten a new one, except they stopped making hatchback wrxes a few years ago, because they hate fun :argh:

i do need to get the air conditioner powered back up, though

i had a 2012 sti and would never buy a subaru again, it was a hateful piece of poo poo that had to be towed six times the last year of six i owned it due to breakdown and i wasn't hard on it at all. good for them if they're better but i dumped so much money into that thing that i advise against subaru in all circumstances.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

President Beep posted:

pink floyd’s the post

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah rip the hatchback. everybody buys those CUVs now

Cursed
Useless
Vehicle
auto design peaked with the 1982 toyota celica hatchback

its been all downhill ever since

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i'll never buy subaru again. AWD is cool but guess what every manufacturer has it now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i haven't had any issues with my frs in the 7 years i've had it other than a recall.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

i haven't had any issues with my frs in the 7 years i've had it other than a recall.

that's because you bought a toyota

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i cracked 3 windshields on my legacy in two years. when i finally got a third part replacement i got the recall notice about lovely subaru windshields

other than that love the car

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My GF needed a new car recently and there is a dearth of hatchbacks out there. Too many huge cars that are hard to park in the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if i were looking for a compact hatchback I’d check out the honda fit.