Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wait wait wait.

That would mean that they think all these shooters and bombers leaving manifestos are communist :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ohio narrowly decides to ban use of leeches to balance humors, continues to insist germ theory is "just a fad"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Wait wait wait.

That would mean that they think all these shooters and bombers leaving manifestos are communist :aaaaa:

Probably, yeah.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

RFC2324 posted:

Wait wait wait.

it's much simpler than that, they're communists because they're bad, bad-faith linguistic gotchas are the conservative ouevre

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1279401944621121537

Apparently historians don't get trained to cite their sources anymore:

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1279411170424819713

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TheKennedys posted:

it's much simpler than that, they're communists because they're bad, bad-faith linguistic gotchas are the conservative ouevre

see, the only reason leftists dislike capitalism and white male hegemony is because they're jealous of successful people, and have no goals or desires beyond destroying them and erasing their achievements. all high-minded leftist rhetoric is just a smokescreen for this simple fact.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People are gonna be really confused when covid and riots and god knows what else are still going on in 2021.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Blast from the past man.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Written in January 2001

Article posted:

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

jjack229 posted:

Written in January 2001

That article's author absolutely borrowed Verhoeven's time machine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

People are gonna be really confused when covid and riots and god knows what else are still going on in 2021.

Most people who are still calling themselves proud democrats at this point will go back to ignoring everything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arlen.... honey... you're assuming that these idiots think slavery was a bad thing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions "no empathy for other human beings" and describes Carmack as "a brain on legs").

repiv has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jul 4, 2020

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are we going to have to add id Tech to the list of things created by Hatsune Miku?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jjack229 posted:

Written in January 2001

Well they were completely wrong about that.

The Iraq War was MUCH bigger than the Gulf War.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

haven't we known carmack was poo poo since like the 90s? I seem to recall the general wisdom was "brilliant, but a complete rear end in a top hat and almost impossible to work with" back then

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Carmack said about that

quote:

I was sort of an amoral little jerk when I was young. I was arrogant about being smarter than other people, but unhappy that I wasn't able to spend all my time doing what I wanted. I spent a year in a juvenile home for a first offence after an evaluation by a psychologist went very badly.
I went to a couple semesters of classes at the University of Missouri (UMKC), taking nothing but CS classes, but it just didn't seem all that worthwhile. In hindsight, I could have gotten more out of it than I did, but I hadn't acquired a really good attitude towards learning from all possible sources yet.
I dropped-out of college to start programming full time, but trying to do contract programming for the Apple II/IIGS post 1990 was not a good way to make money, and I only wound up with between $1k and $2k a month. Not having enough money is stressful, and I did some things I didn't want to. I wrote a numerology program for a couple hundred bucks one time...
Softdisk publishing finally convinced me to come down to Shreveport for an interview. I had been doing contract work for Jay Wilbur and Tom Hall, so I knew there were some pretty cool people there, but meeting John Romero and Lane Roath was what convinced me to take the job. Finally meeting a couple sharp programmers that did impressive things and had more experience than I did was great.
After I took the job at Softdisk, I was happy. I was programming, or reading about programming, or talking about programming, almost every waking hour. It turned out that a $27k salary was enough that I could buy all the books and pizza that I wanted, and I had nice enough computers at work that I didn't feel the need to own more myself (4mb 386-20!).
I learned a huge amount in a short period of time, and that was probably a turning point for my personality. I could still clearly remember my state of mind when I viewed other people as being ignorant about various things, but after basically doubling my programming skills in the space of six months, I realized how relative it all was. That has been reinforced several additional times over the seven years since then.
All the time from working at Softdisk, to founding Id and making the products we are know for has been pretty seamless for me. I have been learning as much as I can, working hard, and doing my best.
I know that most people won't believe it, but a 100x increase in income really didn't have that big of an impact on me as a person. It is certainly nice to be in a position where people can't exert any leverage on you, but it's definitely not the primary focus of my life. I get to drive a ferrari in to work, but my day to day life is almost exactly the same as it was eight years ago. I get up, go in to work, hopefully do some good stuff, then go home. I'm still happy.

I mean, he was 14 when he did the crime that got him the psych evaluation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'll definitely buy the part at the end about money not changing him.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i feel like carmak is right though? the great leap foward recked chinas poo poo and mao not killing deng because deng was useful during the revolution leads directly to their current govt being insane. im not saying communism bad. im saying how they did it was bad before any tankies try to jump up my rear end.

the person under him is an iosm no questions though

someone redub this coffin dance song

AlbieQuirky posted:

I doubt many people disagree that the Cultural Revolution had huge negative consequences for China as a whole, as well as for the individuals targeted and their families.

The idiot part is where he brings it up as a comparison to people thinking J. K. Rowling and RuPaul are bigoted assholes for saying ridiculously transphobic things.

Because that’s what he did; the other person’s thing is a retweet, and his text is his comment on it. Not the other way around. Just in case you’re not familiar with the hellbird site.

i know how replys on twitter work i just didnt get why he was replying to that tweet.

snergle has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Mierenneuker posted:

“For the record, the only things banned from [Christopher Nolan’s] sets are cell phones (not always successfully) and smoking (very successfully),” Nolan’s spokesperson Kelly Bush Novak of ID said in a statement. “The chairs Anne was referring to are the directors chairs clustered around the video monitor, allocated on the basis of hierarchy not physical need. Chris chooses not to use his but has never banned chairs from the set. Cast and crew can sit wherever and whenever they need and frequently do.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/06/christopher-nolan-disputes-chair-ban-phones-cigarettes-1234570631/

As someone who did background work on Inception, I honestly call bullshit on that statement. Nolan's set is the worst I ever worked on, he refused to let background sit down or go back to holding during turnarounds, so we were basically locked in place on our feet all day. The countdown on lunch (whether 30 minutes or 1 hour) isn't supposed to be started until the last person goes through the line and gets their plate, but as soon as I sat down we got the 5 minute warning. Most of us were non-union so had no rep to talk to, and none of the union background wanted to risk getting blacklisted by complaining to the PA (who was probably getting poo poo on even worse than us).

Months later I was chatting with other people on a completely different set and a crew member immediately identified the set from my complaints, and said it was hell for them too. No one talks about it because criticizing a big director like that is career suicide, especially if you're lower down in the cast/crew hierarchy. You just shut your mouth and keep your head down and wait for the project to end so you can put it behind you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

snergle posted:

i feel like carmak is right though?

I doubt many people disagree that the Cultural Revolution had huge negative consequences for China as a whole, as well as for the individuals targeted and their families.

The idiot part is where he brings it up as a comparison to people thinking J. K. Rowling and RuPaul are bigoted assholes for saying ridiculously transphobic things.

Because that’s what he did; the other person’s thing is a retweet, and his text is his comment on it. Not the other way around. Just in case you’re not familiar with the hellbird site.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's one of the most powerful countries in the world. It got there via the cultural revolution.

You specifically said 'as a whole' which just seems incorrect.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
There were a number of projects and programs which allowed China to become a world power, and the effects of the Cultural Revolution was pretty minor compared to the others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to know what john carmack things the cultural revolution was about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
IT certain helped though historical relativism only applies to western countries

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Mostly the cultural revolution was Mao attempting to wrest control of the CCP back after he had started losing power to other prominent members, and included stuff like the Down to the Countryside Movement, which was basically designed to exile the children of his political rivals within the party
The idea that it was this specific concerted effort to redefine society for ideological purposes is a rather amusing one

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's remarkable that some people's take is not "wow, his comparison is really disingenuous and in context transphobic" but "well, actually, about the cultural revolution..."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

D&D morality debates are tiresome beyond belief, the MLP avatar takes this over the top

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elysiume posted:

D&D morality debates are tiresome beyond belief, the MLP avatar takes this over the top

I recognize what forum that's from and it doesn't surprise me in the least.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i appologize for the derail i read his comment wrong lets move on tankies go home.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know when tankie came back o thought Russian bots was the new hotness

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fister Roboto posted:

I recognize what forum that's from and it doesn't surprise me in the least.

What is it, 4chan? RPGnet?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That's bigoted against my fellow AI

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Definitely not 4chan. I don't know RPGnet, but I think it might be from the Order of the Stick forums

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skwirl posted:

Giant in the Playground forums, a forum attached to the Order of the Stick webcomic that's focused on D&D and other roleplaying games.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wtf are we even doing when, sorry what was it,

Elysiume posted:

Giant in the Playground forums, a forum attached to the Order of the Stick webcomic that's focused on D&D and other roleplaying games.

has more cultural impact than The Something Awful Forums Dot Com

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We're like the elves in Tolkien, our time is past and we just wanna die already

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elysiume posted:

Disappointing to find out Order of the Stick has a bunch of CHUDs in it's fandom.

one of my favorite bits in The Good Place (spoilers, I guess, but not really) was finding out all of Chidi's philosophical heroes were in the bad place because they defended slavery. "Can I meet Aristotle?" "Nope. In the bad place, defended slavery."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Elysiume posted:

The funny part is that lawful evil is exactly designed for situations when the law is corrupt and unfair, imo. I mean D&D morality debates are tiresome beyond belief but this specific question is one the system is already designed to handle, which is that legal and good are different things and institutions and systems can be corrupt??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's a forum dedicated to a stick figure webcomic where all the jokes are "what if D&D, but real?". I'm sure you can imagine the type of person who posts there.