Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
:siren: Hi, I'm an idiot and a shitposters and I shouldn't be taken seriously at all. :siren: BUT, someone suggested I make a thread and chronicle my journey through the attitude era becau se they think it would be interesting. Each post I make will be a new episode or PPV, I'm going to watch all of it in order from august 11, 1997 to may 6, 2002. I'm aware that the attitude era technically started in 1996 but I already started and I don't really need to go back.

I implore people to tell me this thread sucks if it starts to suck and people get bored and the mods to immediately and ruthlessly purge this thread from existence because this is bare minimum going to be 350+ posts and I don't want to write a small novel if nobody's reading it!

:siren: I refuse to google, read into, or do extra work into understanding the weird poo poo I see. It's all new to me so if they introduce something and I speculate on it, please do not spoil it for me. :siren:

Format: I'm just going to go by each segment as they are labelled by the WWE network, which usually is very easy and straightforward. "X vs Y" "Z interview" "backstage with B" etc.

I will not skip anything and I am fully aware that everyone skips something and you don't need to actually watch RAW in its fullest or even an episode in its fullest but I don't care, drat it. :colbert:

What do you even like about Wrestling, you big fat nerd? I like stupid poo poo, genuinely impressive athleticism and story lines with good payoff. With my current experience I loved the MJF/Cody story line16:02, the buildup, Cody working his way through stipulations and then eventually, sadly, losing. It was great. The only crime in wrestling is if it's boring as poo poo (or someone gets killed in it, and yes, I am aware of Owen Hart).

EDIT: What do you even KNOW about Wrestling(SPECIFICALLY WWE), you big fat nerd? I know about the Montreal Screwjob, Owen Hart dying, Roman Reigns sucks(?), John Cena never loses, Vince is a crazy person, nobody loses to the undertaker at wrestlemania, many WWE video games loving suck, WWE apparently likes to "waste" talent.

Without Further Ado, let us begin:

September 8, 1997

Sargent Slaughter Makes An Announcement: 00.00 - 14:12: Such a great segment. I don't even know who Sargent Slaughter is, and I love that his boss is apparently named Gorilla Monsoon which is easily the best name I've ever heard. Stone Cold has been suspended for being an rear end in a top hat and not taking his injury seriously and then he shows up and attacks him. Holy gently caress. It's a pretty great segment and Stone Cold is hilarious. I honestly love this dude. He reminds me of a Trailer Park Boys character and would fit on that show's glory days perfectly.

Security attempts to eject stone cold: 14:12 - 16:02: This is kinda just a continuation of the former section. Decent commentary and such from Vince/Ross/Lawler

Bret Hart Vs Vader: No Holds Barred Match: 16:02 - 28:24:
- Bret Hart works the crowd really well. The Canada vs USA angle is so great. "I"m gonna beat your rear end in front of all these Americans!"
- Vader is so goofy looking, but he also beat Bret Hart with a championship belt and broke the Canadian flag pole, so I already like him.
- Okay, I love this match. First, Vader is barely doing any sells and it is a great "Big Man No Hurt" angle, I love it, then the british bulldog runs in and they start destroying vader, followed by the Patriot, then Owen, and they set up the patriot for a piledriver and in comes steve austin?, There's a wonderful shot of Steve pulling Owen Hart as he screams in abject terror and tries to pull himself to safety with the apron. Great poo poo! I loved it! What an awesome match.

The Godwinns v the Headbangers: 28:24 - 35:56
- This match is apparently not sanctioned. Some decent comedy here. Vince: I mean, the headbangers aren't going to show up, they shouldn't if they're smart-*headbanger entrance theme plays* Oh Okay.
- Lmao just roasting the absolute gently caress out of lawler here. "Look at them wearing dresses in the match!" "yeah almost as much as wearing a crown on your head all the time"
"Look at his underwear!" "Wh-why are you focusing on that?"
- Marylin Manson reference. :guinness:
- UNCLE CLETUS GODWIN wearing a loving confederate ball cap. :sigh: I don't like these Godwins very much, since the whole thing seems to be "Appalachian hill folk" which is kind of, not really my thing? (This is not an indictment on the people of appalachia, I loved the Silver John stories and generally don't hate "rednecks", but this whole yeehaw moonshine family clan thing isn't very interesting. Short match.

Dude Love vs Brian Pillman: 35:57 - 47:00:
- Sunny, some announcer is bragging to the crowd that she gets to hang out in the men's locker room by the showers. :vince:
- I love Dude Love. Took me a bit to realize him and Mankind were the same performer since they're both very different.
- Calls in Golddust and oh gently caress why is Brian Pillman making videos about degrading Marlene here? Why is it called Pillman's XXX files? :gowron: And there's going to be multiple parts of this. Cool! It's sleazy and awful. Oh and after all that poo poo there isn't even going to be a match.

Piratita Morgan vs Max Mini: 47:00 - 55:00
- Jerry Lawler apparantly really mad that this little person(?) stole his crown at the last PPV. They bully the hell out of Lawler throughout the entire match. For some reason, they call Morgan "Parina Morgan" while the app says it's Piratita.
- Holy poo poo the acrobatics Max can do is awesome. Big props to morgan for the sells too.
- That was overall pretty quick. Then they start talking about an upcoming Hell in the Cell match, which I guess is the first one ever (sponsored by Sony Playstation, lol). Is there a "90's" smilie?

Vince McMahon interviews the Undertaker: 55:00 - 101:45
- Does the entrance for an interview. lol
- Not much to say. Hyping up for the PPV, good stuff.

Sunny Interviews the Hart Foundation: 101:45 - 1:02:47:
- A literal minute, so there's not really anything to say. I really like Owen Hart because he's literally the most Canadian guy. That seems to be just how he talks, lol.

Owen Hart vs Goldust: 1:02:48 - 1:09:48:

- Owen has heat, you can visibly see the crowd screaming at him, flipping him off, drat. Goldust doing a triple, wait, quadruple, okay, septupple loving lowblow to the testicles and the crowd is just LOVING IT.
- Austin leaping into the match and beating people up with a loving broom and then throwing it at Vince is some funny poo poo. They do a great job selling Steve as a crazy man.
- Oh good XXX Files part 2. Why is the title screen him strangling her from behind????

Vince McMahon interviews the Hart Foundation: 1:09:49 - 1:11:27:
- lmao Bret Hart crying about Austin being a meanie after all the heel poo poo they do all the time

Triple H vs The Patriot vs Savio Vega: 1:11:28 - Finish:
- Love introduction interrupts.
- Vince: A little advice to gamers everywhere, never underestimate the power of playstation! :smug:
- I notice the crowd likes to hold up signs and block the view of the cameras a fair bit. It's pretty annoying. :colbert: Someone keeps holding up a sign that says "JESSE AND BILLY ARE GAY" for some reason. :eyepop:
- Lawler yelling about Bill Clinton trying to run everyone's lives.
- Shawn Michaels taking on commentary to make sure people follow the rules despite the fact that he literally beat the poo poo out of the british bulldog less than 5 minutes ago :laffo:
- Hunter takes the pin and everyone on tonight surrounds D-Generation X in the ring.

Kind of ended on a weird note, the Harts arrived in the last 5 seconds and it's over. Wrestling is so weird sometimes. Great episode, aside from the Goldust and Pillman stuff. I loved the match with Vader, it was genuinely fun!

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
read that whole thing and had ptsd style flashbacks. The attitude era was trash as gently caress - but at least poo poo happened, nowadays the storylines are an after-thought with 0 creativity.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
For those of us who have spent years reliving the attitude era through various podcasts, such as bryan and vinny, you will learn the attitude era was atrociously bad and WCW should've won but committed the worlds dumbest self inflicted injury over and over.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The Godwinns v the Headbangers: 28:24 - 35:56
- This match is apparently not sanctioned. Some decent comedy here. Vince: I mean, the headbangers aren't going to show up, they shouldn't if they're smart-*headbanger entrance theme plays* Oh Okay.
- Lmao just roasting the absolute gently caress out of lawler here. "Look at them wearing dresses in the match!" "yeah almost as much as wearing a crown on your head all the time"
"Look at his underwear!" "Wh-why are you focusing on that?"
- Marylin Manson reference. :guinness:
- UNCLE CLETUS GODWIN wearing a loving confederate ball cap. :sigh: I don't like these Godwins very much, since the whole thing seems to be "Appalachian hill folk" which is kind of, not really my thing? (This is not an indictment on the people of appalachia, I loved the Silver John stories and generally don't hate "rednecks", but this whole yeehaw moonshine family clan thing isn't very interesting. Short match.

This was after The Godwinns had turned heel, before this their gimmick was happy go lucky pig-farmers. The heel turn did absolutely nothing for them, as you'll soon see.

And yes, IYH: Badd Blood is the very first HIAC match.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yes, the Canada vs. America Angle spearheaded by Bret Hart is legitimately one of my absolute favorite storylines ever in WWE.

So glad you're doing the PPVs as well, because In Your House: Canadian Stampede is absolutely a show I recommend watching when you get up to that point. The main event is one of the hottest crowds you will ever see/hear.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yes, the Canada vs. America Angle spearheaded by Bret Hart is legitimately one of my absolute favorite storylines ever in WWE.

So glad you're doing the PPVs as well, because In Your House: Canadian Stampede is absolutely a show I recommend watching when you get up to that point. The main event is one of the hottest crowds you will ever see/hear.

I actually did have to check because hell yeah Canadian Stampede but it's before the starting date here :( July 6, 1997

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noooo

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OP should go back and watch it anyway because it's one of the best non-major WWE PPVs of all time

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I think it might be straight up the best WWE PPV ever? Not sure what would beat it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Backlash 2000 possibly?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

saffi faildotter posted:

I think it might be straight up the best WWE PPV ever? Not sure what would beat it

Wrestlemania X-7.

But yeah, not many non-major PPVs would beat it. Backlash 2000 is a good shout, though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is fun. Makes me miss my Raw from the start rewatch.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

Backlash 2000 possibly?

A bunch of the 2000 minor PPVs were great. Fully Loaded 2000 had several really solid matches, including an excellent HHH / Jericho last man standing and a Benoit / Rock main event good enough that I didn't even mind the dodgy finish.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dell_Zincht posted:

OP should go back and watch it anyway because it's one of the best non-major WWE PPVs of all time

I will do this tomorrow. Its 1am here and im going to bed. But thats my only time travel. I'll also try to get like, two more episodes of RAW in.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

saffi faildotter posted:

MITB 2011 was fantastic

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

The thing with Canadian Stampede is that it's a 4 match card where everything is incredible. I will check out Backlash 2000 - I still vaguely remember MITB 2011 and it was very, very good, but not as good as Canadian Stampede.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Alright, here we go once again, and this time, it's with a request from:

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah!

So without further bullshit, here's my uh...let's watch? I'm going to not bother with Timecodes because they're pointless, so...pour your guiness, dump into a bowl your beef jerky and let's fricken' do it!

In Your House: Canadian Stampede

July 6, 1997

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Mankind
- Chyna is awesome. She's an absolutely swole as gently caress goon, backing up her boyfriend(?)
- Lmao, throwing Mankind into a penalty box and then piling in. Crowd went loving wild, I love it.

A look at WWE's weekend in Calgary
- Kind of a boring segment.
- Nice to see wholesome Bret Hart content, signing autographs for every single one of his fans. That poo poo is no joke. Can be very tiring.

The Hart Foundation is Ready For Action
- Okay little segment. Austin interrupted the interview for some lil threats.

Taka Michinoku vs Great Sasuke
- So I don't know wh-wait Mankind and Hunter are still fighting? Holy poo poo guys
- these guys have trouble pronouncing Japanese names. "Saw soo kay"
- Crowd doesn't seem engaged. Oh well.
- drat these kicks though.
- Wow, that suicide di- oh, there's a fan holding a sign that says "WCW: Where the GAY boys play." :sigh:
- drat these guys pulled out the loving stops this match is wild, so acrobatic. Crowd warmed up and ended up getting very loud. very fun match, i recommend to watch

Mankind & HHH brawl in the parking lot
- Oh god, breaking a shovel over Mankind's back. wow.
- It was really good stuff, Mankind sure seems to like getting hosed up, thrown into poo poo and having poo poo broken on him.

Paul Bearer talks about the Undertaker
- At least I know who the gently caress this guy is now, the first episode I saw him in he basically just screamed "UNDERTAKER YOUR BROTHER IS COMING AHHHHHHHHHHH" and then it ended. That was wild as hell.

Vader vs The Undertaker: WWE Championship
- ITS TIME ITS TIME ITS TIME. I like this fuckin' ape.
- Is the Undertaker capable of entering the wrestling ring without looking like the final boss of an RPG? I am not complaining, this guy's entrances are the pinnacle of P R E S E N T A T I ON. It kind of fucks with my cultural osmosis of the Taker, I genuinely thought this guy just showed up at Wrestlemania, hosed people's poo poo up and left again. hm.
- This is great. Lots of athleticism. Very different from the previous match, but fun, weighty, excellent combat. Paul's ringside acting is fantastic.
- That kick to the face causing Vader to literally flip backwards over the rope is just 10/10 poo poo.

Interview with Stone Cold and his team
- This whole team looks so weird.

Farmer's Daughter Performs "O Canada"
- No comment.

Canadian Wrestling Legends
- lmao the premier of Alberta was into wrestling
- Stu and Helen Hart being here and the crowd popping like its a surprise

Ten-Man Tag Team
- I actually didn't really like this match as much as the others. I don't know why. Very interesting to see the crowd hate austin, considering how popular he was in the states. Some idiot ran back and forth with a sign that said "This is Kayfabe" like 20 times in the background, which...I don't think anyone really cared in 1997. It's the equivalent of standing by a mall santa with a "this is an actor" sign
- Match was brutal at the end, though, which I liked, Tons of officials and everything else. I love the goofy security guard outfits (and yes, there are many companies that have lovely outfits like that. it's still a thing, at least in canada)
- lmao austin charging in and chairshotting owen out of rage, i love this dude
- lol, they loving arrested him and cuffed him. i suspect this isn't the first or last time this happens, considering his whole persona as I understand it is "sort of criminal crazy ape man" annnnnd he's flipping off the crowd handcuffed, I actually love this
- Stu + entire Hart Family being brought on stage, honestly this is really kind of wholesome, I love it.

Overall: This was a great PPV and I definitely do not regret watching it. Thanks for the recommendation, it was awesome. In fact, I'd say... "IT WAS AWESOME" *clap clap clapclapclap*

Question of the post: Does...does Mankind's performer just like getting hosed right up? This seems pretty brutal, apparently mick foley is still alive because he was saying nice things about Britt Baker on twitter recently, but wow I worry

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 6, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Question of the post: Does...does Mankind's performer just like getting hosed right up? This seems pretty brutal, apparently mick foley is still alive because he was saying nice things about Britt Baker on twitter recently, but wow I worry

Mick Foley is pretty notorious for taking bumps that nobody should take ever, yes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Other than a few bigger name matches (the ones against HHH, Undertaker, and The Rock), Mankind's WWF stuff, while brutal, is actually tame compared to his FMW stuff in Japan where he and Terry Funk basically took years off each other's lives. I mean this as no insult to his WWF work, much of which was absolutely astonishing, and showed he had become smart enough to only take the absolutely insane risks for the biggest matches.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Mick Foley is pretty notorious for taking bumps that nobody should take ever, yes.

Bumps, but also risks. The match against The Rock from 1999 where The Rock had him handcuffed and was just teeing off on his head with chair shots, that's really hard to watch these days.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lamuella posted:

Bumps, but also risks. The match against The Rock from 1999 where The Rock had him handcuffed and was just teeing off on his head with chair shots, that's really hard to watch these days.

Is that the one they show in Beyond The Mat where you see his terrified family watching?

BTM would be a good addition to watch somewhere down the line for this thread.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 6, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dacap posted:

Is that the one they show in Beyond The Mat where you see his terrified family watching?

BTM would be a good addition to watch somewhere down the line for this thread.

Ok i will but please dont spoil things

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
this forum

"hey i just started watching wrestling"

"WATCH BEYOND THE MAT"

no wonder the ratings are dying

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Ok i will but please dont spoil things

Beyond The Mat is an excellent documentary focusing mainly on Jake Roberts, Mick Foley and Terry Funk. There's also a bit about Roland Alexander's indy promotion APW and two of his guys having a WWF tryout. None of it really spoils anything that happens during the Attitude Era other than the result of one WWF PPV (The Mankind/Rock "I Quit" WWF Championship Match.)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not to spoil anything, but op, you will see one of those particular bumps about a year out from this PPV, and it might put you off watching any Mick Foley matches ever again. Fair warning.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Just watch your raws and upcoming ppvs first imo. no need to derail with everyone suggestions

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm enjoying this thread so far, which normally isn't enough reason to post but I want you to feel supported. I really enjoy the 'livewatching shitposter' energy way more than the more stilted and analytical approach that these threads (or podcasts, or articles) often have. It's fun to see the perspective of someone who didn't watch at the time and is new to the experience; like I forget that for people who didn't grow up watching Austin, he isn't being analyzed as the everyman getting revenge on his oppressive boss and rejecting societal expectations, he really is just an insane man that runs in to beat people with weapons and flip the bird and get arrested. Or I'm so used to Paul Bearer that I forget what he looks like to a 'normal' person, because a perfectly normal response is 'lmao wtf is this little fat man shrieking at the tall zombie guy'

Attitude Era signs are a trip, too, so I appreciate you mentioning them. They range from tons of effort and fairly creative/artistic, to super low-effort, to weird (south park characters make a lot of appearances), to extremely offensive. Signs about any of the women wrestlers can get really gross, and as you've already noted, the go-to insult for wrestlers you don't like is "gay"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Beyond The Mat is an excellent documentary focusing mainly on Jake Roberts, Mick Foley and Terry Funk. There's also a bit about Roland Alexander's indy promotion APW and two of his guys having a WWF tryout. None of it really spoils anything that happens during the Attitude Era other than the result of one WWF PPV (The Mankind/Rock "I Quit" WWF Championship Match.)

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to express to watch it immediately, but once you’re getting through 99/2000 in the watching it could be interesting as a retrospective of what you’ve experienced.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thank you for this! I started watching in 1998-1999 and these are shows I know little about.

Man those signs were...a thing

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The only sign one ever needs to remember from the Attitude Era is

WET
BUTT

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Bret Hart Vs Vader: No Holds Barred Match: 16:02 - 28:24:
- Bret Hart works the crowd really well. The Canada vs USA angle is so great. "I"m gonna beat your rear end in front of all these Americans!"
- Vader is so goofy looking, but he also beat Bret Hart with a championship belt and broke the Canadian flag pole, so I already like him.
- Okay, I love this match. First, Vader is barely doing any sells and it is a great "Big Man No Hurt" angle, I love it, then the british bulldog runs in and they start destroying vader, followed by the Patriot, then Owen, and they set up the patriot for a piledriver and in comes steve austin?, There's a wonderful shot of Steve pulling Owen Hart as he screams in abject terror and tries to pull himself to safety with the apron. Great poo poo! I loved it! What an awesome match.

Vader at his best was one the most terrifying motherfuckers ever in wrestling. If washed up afterthought WWF Vader entertains you, you're in for an absolute treat if you decide to seek out more. :)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vader's so rad that I've seen at least three video game characters based on him.

- Raiden/Big Bear from Fatal Fury
- Alexander the Grater from Saturday Night Slam Masters
- Burnov from the Double Dragon series

Japan loved the guy.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Reminder that Vader got an orbital bone fracture and had his eyeball pop out of its socket during a match, and he pushed it back in and finished the match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gavok posted:

Vader's so rad that I've seen at least three video game characters based on him.

- Raiden/Big Bear from Fatal Fury
- Alexander the Grater from Saturday Night Slam Masters
- Burnov from the Double Dragon series

Japan loved the guy.

how could you not?

https://streamable.com/ssqnq

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Good to see you used my idea, OP :)

KungFu Grip posted:

Just watch your raws and upcoming ppvs first imo. no need to derail with everyone suggestions

Seconding this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yes the Canadian Stampede.

Of course Alberta's Premiere was into wrestling, it's Canada! They legit voted Bret Hart in the Top 50 of the 100 ever greatest Canadians. For real :allears:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i pretty much remember nothing about mcmahon on commentary outside of some catchphrases so it was weird reading someone recap some actual witticisms

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Alrighty, it's time for a simple episode of Monday Night Raw! Last time Stone Cold Steve austin went insane attacking people. So get that guinness :guinness: and chill your beef jerky :jerky: in the fridge for eight hours to ensure maximum chewing time!

Cavauro posted:

i pretty much remember nothing about mcmahon on commentary outside of some catchphrases so it was weird reading someone recap some actual witticisms

As a trio:
Lawler seems to love heels and likes seeing bad poo poo happen to people. Jim Ross doesn't like Lawler, and they often bicker. McMahon seems to be like, the "voice of reason." Basically McMahon is Kirk, a little bland but he keeps the commentary on Track. Lawler is Mirror-Universe Bones and Jim Ross is Spock after spending the summer at Sybok's "vulcans can feel emotions too!" camp/timeshare/cult meeting.

McMahon's biggest thing seems to be saving bad commentary from Lawler. I've seen a few times where Lawler said something really stupid (one of the PPVs lawler started talking about vietnam...badly and vince saved it by being like "whooa lets get your drink tested it's probably got LSD in it" or whatever)

September 15, 1997

Ken Shamrock vs Farooq
- Finally I get to see the Nation of Domination in action. They've only popped up at couple times, and only to cut promos and recruit The Rock. I like their entrance theme and the general, uh, militant look of them is great
- They decided to say that Owen Hart beat Goldust in an intercontinental championship round?????????????? That was literally announced last week and it didn't start last week. Is this one of those "house show" things? Oh well.
- is it just a rule that if yo're in a gang in pro wrestling that your posse just beats the everloving poo poo out of people when you win or lose? not complaining but drat.

Steve Austin is interviewed about Owen Hart
Hey thanks I hate this!
- To the guy in the thread talking about the analysis of Stone Cold Steve Austin being an everyman, I don't know. That's a strange interpretation, he says "Steve Austin does what he wants when he wants". If we're going to go with highbrow analysis, I would say he's a power fantasy and thats about it. "Wouldnt it be cool if I BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF EVERYONE AND GOT AWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIME? HEH HEH" kind of attitude, not some kind of special commentary on worker-boss power structures. I can see why there was that guy whining at austin for wearing a mask a few weeks ago - on screen austin would probably beat up Dr. Fauci or something, I dunno. hard to say.

Taka Michinoku vs El Panchera
- I really like this Taka guy. This whole match was great- tons of fun gymnastic stuff, flipping, mid-air kicks, very impressive.
- I kind of wish Lawler didn't poo poo up the commentary talking about his son the whole time, Jim Ross was really trying to actually, you know, commentate on a match? Oh well.

Truth Commission Addresses L.O.D
- Good god this team looks goofy. These guys look like a militia LARP.

Truth Commission vs L.O.D
- okay, this is loving hilarious with the military vibe. standing at attention and doing drills, I kind of like this. it's so dumb, and I've been to re-enactments where a 300+ pound man wheeze-explained to us why, in fact, the zweihander was better than the katana.
- Match was okay, but just as I was getting into it, it did the thing I genuinely hate more than anything else in wrestling, which is multi-person match interruptions. Taka and Panchera's match was short but it was awesome. When I started with wrestling it was AEW last year and the "nightmare collective" did this a few times and it kind of hosed up every single good match. I'm getting interested, I'm liking what I'm seeing- oh nevermind now there's 10+ people in the ring and it's not fun or interesting to follow. Shame!

Max Mini/Mr. Lucky vs El Torito/Piratita
- Sunny! Great entrance. Very attractive. Is she just an announcer? Good at working the crowd.
- mini wrestling is great. This is honestly pretty fun and I like the level of work these guys put in. There's some genuine athleticism here, and I love it.
D'aww.
- lawler making "haha little people are short" comments :argh:
- That dive with the pin...was great.
- Ross: Stop it Lawler! She's young enough to be your niece! Lawler: Yep ;)

Dude Love Vs Brian Pillman
- Oh boy, here we go! Are they going to wrestle or are we going to get more Pillman's XXX files?
- Marlena is a quavering voice: "I miss my husband, I miss my baby, and I just want to go home." :magical: Is this supposed to be funny? "Looks like Pillman made her get a nose ring..and a tattoo on...her...you know." :magical:
- and then pillman pulls up her skirt in front of the crowd. drat. the 90's man. I really want to skip this but I like watching Dude Love wrestle, so...
- Lawler: "She's loving this, don't kid yourself Jim Ross" Jesus christ did Lawler decide to be a complete shithead tonight?
- That match sucked, it barely went anywhere and Lawler wouldn't stop going on and on about how much she's definitely enjoying it. :flame:

Stone Cold Addresses the Hart Foundation
- "You know in Canada we got a name for people like you...we call them Hosers!" lol
- serving Stone Cold a restraining order, lmao
- And Lawler gets the stunner :golfclap:

The Patriot vs Owen Hart
- lmao "Canadians suck" poster
- The Patriot seems like of lame, if that makes any sense? Isn't being "ME THE AMURICAN" Hulk Hogan's whole thing?
- Jim Cornette(???): "Owen hart is like a superball, no matter how hard you throw him he always comes back!" :confuoot:
- Austin tearing up the restraining order, lol, of course
- Great match. I like the "cops" who are clearly not cops

HBK explains his attack on the British Bulldog
- This fan's loving face in reaction to Shawn Michael's intro lmao

- Hyping up the hell in the cell match
- Nobody recognizes my talent nooooooo - I get the feeling this is a very, very common trope in promos

Hart Foundation vs Headbangers
- Jim Cornette: "Opinions are like noses, yours is too big!" :confuoot: :confuoot:
- I really like this whole "wrestling in kilts" thing. It's very braveheart.
- I like the fact that the Harts won it, and then the Referee withdrew it. I like this
- bret strangling someone with the america fla- OH THERE'S MY BOI VADER YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR
- Unfortunately it ends about ten seconds after Vader's run-in, which is pretty lame. This has happened a few times, I get the impression the show is longer than the 90-ish minutes they get to shoot and they just capture..most of it. Oh well.

Great Episode, gently caress this Brian Pillman raping Goldust's wife angle, it's terrible.

Next: WWE UK One Night Only

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Next: WWE UK One Night Only

this show loving rocks too btw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just an FYI, Owen vs Goldust in the IC tournament match was on the 8th September episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i always forget The Truth Commission happened