Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah I don't think there's ever been a single accusation against a high profile person that turned out to be false, since MeToo started

There was the aforementioned Justin Beiber one but that was also a case where it fell apart very quickly because it was easily disproven lies but that's a fairly unique case and even then it vanished super quickly.

I am extremely hard pressed to think of anyone who had a situation where they were fired/removed/etc and it turns out to be false. People like to say "Well they rush to 'cancel' people" but more often than not what actually happens is that once this poo poo is investigated it stands out very quickly. (Or it was a known thing and they are just cutting off the guy who got caught.)

Honestly I think the biggest piece of evidence you can point to that people worrying about it being weaponize are wrong is the that fact. If the people crying about cancel culture were really so convinced it was an all-power thing destroying innocent people then they could trivially target someone 'woke' and ruin their career. Instead every attempt fails miserably. Like the closest to a success was James Gunn and even then the guy actually did make those super lovely tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

baka kaba posted:

Here's a hot take - if someone accuses you of acting inappropriately and you don't remember if you did it or not, just say you don't remember. Be a decent person and say you're sorry if you did that to them, explicitly call out that kind of behaviour as bad and say they're right to bring it up, and basically be on the right side of things instead of forensically throwing someone under the bus because you're involved this time

especially if you're in a position of influence in the community, you have a responsibility and how you respond really matters

hell even if you know you didn't do it, you still need to be careful about how you defend yourself because there's a bigger picture - don't undermine victims speaking out, push for support and solidarity and don't let people use your situation as an excuse to attack them. but if you don't even remember, gently caress that

I'm pretty sure "I don't recall that incident ocurring" is like, tactic #2 for abusers though lol

When all this came out with DotA, there was a caster that made a medium post about it who made a really good point.

Kyle Freedman posted:

There’s a fundamental misunderstanding within the community at large I’d like to correct.
Simply put, it’s not up to you whether or not you make someone feel uncomfortable.
It’s up to them.
It’s similar to why “I’m sorry you feel this way” isn’t a real apology — you’re placing the burden on the other person for being offended/hurt, rather than taking responsibility.
“I’m sorry. I hosed up.” That’s an apology.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
SW is a clinically diagnosed psychopath. he has no empathy. he acts. from his mouth. so anything he says about people suffering should be looked at critically.

Relin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 7, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zero confirmed everything was true, said he was disgusting back then and apologized to both people then kinda rambled about himself. He then banned himself from smash events and the like.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

And more https://twitter.com/zerowondering/status/1279219168303181829?s=20
A giant post with a sad story that apologizes a bunch but ignores, dissembles or obviously lies about the worst specific allegations.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 4, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Acerbatus posted:

I'm pretty sure "I don't recall that incident ocurring" is like, tactic #2 for abusers though lol

oh for sure, which is why it's important to say that in a way that doesn't undermine the other person and the idea of believing people in general. At the very least you can say "I honestly don't remember, but that kind of behaviour would be indefensible and I'm sorry if I ever did anything like that" and basically support them and others who speak out, and be an ally in general. especially if you have any kind of influence or following

A lot of these responses are going out of their way to paint the victims as liars or confused or basically at fault for everything that happened, but at the end they say "oh but I don't remember" or "I was the adult so I shall take responsibility" so they can seem like they're taking the high road and not being dismissive. It's throwing people under the bus while pretending they're not, painting themselves as the wronged but magnanimous good guys, and giving the howling mobs reasons to go after the victims. kind of a theme in this thread somehow! :thunk:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Because most men can't imagine themselves as a victim of sexual abuse, so the "what position would I be in" is going to default to "if I were falsely accused" because, however rare that is, they feel it as more real for them than "if I were the victim trying to speak out." They're not imagining what the other person is feeling, they're imagining themselves in those situations and picking the one that would be more likely (in their mind) to happen to them, as opposed to the one more likely to happen overall. That's why so many of them start with "I know false accusations are really rare, but." Rationally there's an acknowledgement that imagining yourself as the target of a false accusation is incredibly unlikely, but they see the alternative as even harder to come to terms with.

Hey, I try to not talk much in these kinds of threads because I'm worried I'll end up putting a foot in my mouth, but I really want to thank you for this post. For years I'd been wondering why my natural brain process was so negative about these kinds of scenarios when I recognize that it's wrong, and this finally made it click for me. I have a better avenue for meditating on my own thoughts and biases now thanks to it. It seems super obvious, but it was somehow not to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/mikehaze/status/1279232734741721088

Not sure who DJNintendo is but looks like another for the pile.

E: Smesty
https://twitter.com/CherriLoli/status/1279241648669634560

xzax
https://twitter.com/r_aryxn/status/1279240691428679680

TMPR
https://twitter.com/AmebaBonita/status/1278890629179871232

Accordingto Jisu a LOT of stuff came from the Sky house and a lot of former members or people from there are preparing a statement on how it's a rooted hellhole.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 4, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Double posting to say Puppeh is safe.

Earlier they made a tweet saying they were going to kill themselves and nobody was able to contact them for hours. The brother made a post saying that he's with family now and being looked after.

https://twitter.com/Squerk_/status/1279259087964905473

Also Puppeh's family has asked that people stop using the #arrestcinnamon tag and that things are being handled and it's just upsetting them more.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah I don't think there's ever been a single accusation against a high profile person that turned out to be false, since MeToo started

IIRC the ProJared accusations themselves were proven false, but all the hosed up creepy poo poo around them was true.

Also, can we cool it a little on talking theoreticals? It’s starting to get very uncomfortable.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Keith Ellison might line up within that timeline? That one had a lot of weirdness (The son of the abused apparently had proof, that he also lost? It's been a while, but I remember it being a mess)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

IIRC the ProJared accusations themselves were proven false, but all the hosed up creepy poo poo around them was true.

Also, can we cool it a little on talking theoreticals? It’s starting to get very uncomfortable.

Can you elaborate on what the difference there is? I didn't follow that mess closely since I didn't like the guy much to begin with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Acerbatus posted:

Can you elaborate on what the difference there is? I didn't follow that mess closely since I didn't like the guy much to begin with.

IIRC he was accused of knowingly soliciting pictures from underaged people, while he provided evidence that they claimed to be of age, and I think also proved that one of them never had any communication with him at all? But that doesn't change that he had an open Tumblr account requesting and sharing nudes, and I doubt he put any effort at all in verifying age other than asking "are you an adult" which obviously, people are gonna say "yeah", and I'm still skeptical because he's the only source on his side. So for now I'm still on the "Those accusations specifically, not as bad as the accusers made it out to be/may not have happened, he is still a mega creep and at least all of that came out". It's not terribly much of a difference, but it's there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Smash scene is just horrific with all these stories coming up. Just holy gently caress man, it is staggering

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Acerbatus posted:

Basically 2 minors accused him of harassing them for nudes. Jared released hard proof that one of them doctored their own images/left out a lot of their lying etc to paint him in a negative light and the other later admitted that they never actually talked to Jared in the first place and was just hopping on to dog on him.

The big thing I saw before stepping away was his ex who made several distressing claims that a lot of people believed, but when people were forgiving Jared for the minors thing she released some conversation logs of him asking to leave and her threatening him, saying he wasn't allowed to leave her and whatnot and her kind of bullying him. People didn't really know how to take this so a good chunk of people told her maybe it's best just to let things go.

Not sure if anything else happened but yeah, Jared did have a nude club thing going on that he intended to be only for adults so a lot of people are still grossed out about that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Zero has admitted it: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sraama

So you dont have to defend him anymore

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Took 3 twitlongers, yeck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lol at all the people going 'thank you for being brave enough to admit it'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/JisuArtist/status/1279375209653403653

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yikes, what else is there in this case.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Studio posted:

Keith Ellison might line up within that timeline? That one had a lot of weirdness (The son of the abused apparently had proof, that he also lost? It's been a while, but I remember it being a mess)

yeah all the ellison stuff was super insane. the woman in question also repeatedly claimed to have video evidence that she kept 'losing', and then she sued to have court documents unsealed regarding ellison's first marriage to prove he was abusive, and those documents did show abuse but it was abuse from his ex-wife against him.

not to say that poo poo should at all be used as a cudgel against abuse claims, i mean i believed that one at first too until everything about it didn't line up but in most cases abuse just goes unreported due to the shithole of a society we live in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well I don't think the accusation against Ellison was ever concocted by his political enemies, because by the time they were made, Obama and Dershowitz had already ratfucked him out of his running for DNC chair.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In other, funnier, and darker news, Harvard Professor Alan Dershowitz has apropos of nothing decried the effect of cancel culture on: Ghislaine Maxwell:

http://archive.is/2JK7s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

In other, funnier, and darker news, Harvard Professor Alan Dershowitz has apropos of nothing decried the effect of cancel culture on: Ghislaine Maxwell:

http://archive.is/2JK7s

Well not 'apropos of nothing'

his other article for that site is one defending epstein's right to a fair trial

not hard to put two and two together

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Dershowitz was a friend of Epstein and visited his rape island multiple times. Also Dershowitz was part of Epstein's legal team.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Smash scene is just horrific with all these stories coming up. Just holy gently caress man, it is staggering

This is pretty much the completely inevitable result of a community involving children mixing with adult strangers with almost zero supervision or oversight or even basic sanity controls like "maybe we shouldn't bring minors to afterparties with booze?". The most staggering thing to me isn't that it happened(which, for the record, is absolutely horrifying), it's that the laissez-faire approach was allowed to continue for so goddamn long and allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kanos posted:

This is pretty much the completely inevitable result of a community involving children mixing with adult strangers with almost zero supervision or oversight or even basic sanity controls like "maybe we shouldn't bring minors to afterparties with booze?". The most staggering thing to me isn't that it happened(which, for the record, is absolutely horrifying), it's that the laissez-faire approach was allowed to continue for so goddamn long and allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Katie's interaction with Zero is terrifying because I struggle to think of a safeguard that would have prevented it. She messaged her idol just to chat, and then he did terrible things to her over that channel. It could only have been stopped if she'd been able to recognize what was happening immediately AND felt empowered and safe enough to call it out and stop it. Which, again, is why believing and supporting victims is so important.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Smash community, a fair number of them prided themselves on the fact they were for the overwhelmingly most part a big grassroots scene with a bunch of people hoping it would never become corporate. But if the accusations in the industry from two or so weeks ago show the dangers of what corporate capitalism can do in shielding accused from facing consequences and fostering toxic environments, then this past week I guess showed that the opposite end eventually turns into a horseshoe effect that ends up with perpetrators having power and shielded from having to face consequences all the same.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Smash community, a fair number of them prided themselves on the fact they were for the overwhelmingly most part a big grassroots scene with a bunch of people hoping it would never become corporate. But if the accusations in the industry from two or so weeks ago show the dangers of what corporate capitalism can do in shielding accused from facing consequences and fostering toxic environments, then this past week I guess showed that the opposite end eventually turns into a horseshoe effect that ends up with perpetrators having power and shielded from having to face consequences all the same.

Yea. It just sucks that no one had any kind of warning and there was nothing that could have been done sooner. Everyone in the fighting game community adores MrWiz and practically fell over themselves clamoring to get the Smash and MK contingents to be regular fixtures of all FGC events. The enormous benefits and commercial opportunities that come with Twitch.tv and eSports were clear to all and it just seems like once again the FGC was simply too toxic for its own good.

If there's any silver lining it's that they seem to be at a crossroads where real change is possible, since once again all eyes have been helpfully fixed to their internal dramas and scandals. Lots of great feedback coming and the foundation for a better future is being laid as we speak.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Mew2King allegation fell apart real fast, I really feel bad for the guy.

CW
Someone accused him of cumming on their bed, or them while they slept and then running away. M2K held a stream where he was pretty upset and he had to reveal he couldn't do that even if he wanted to because of a botched circumcision he had when he was a kid. A lot of people are trying to support him right now because that's not something you want to reveal I imagine, but the usual suspects are dogging on him pretty hard making jokes :smith:

CW Again: The topic is serious and M2K starts having trouble breathing because he gets so upset and ashamed of his 'secret'. The cameraman has to help him at several points and it's hard to watch.
M2K's response

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 4, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Woozy posted:

Yea. It just sucks that no one had any kind of warning and there was nothing that could have been done sooner. Everyone in the fighting game community adores MrWiz and practically fell over themselves clamoring to get the Smash and MK contingents to be regular fixtures of all FGC events. The enormous benefits and commercial opportunities that come with Twitch.tv and eSports were clear to all and it just seems like once again the FGC was simply too toxic for its own good.

If there's any silver lining it's that they seem to be at a crossroads where real change is possible, since once again all eyes have been helpfully fixed to their internal dramas and scandals. Lots of great feedback coming and the foundation for a better future is being laid as we speak.

no one likes mr wizard. he hates smash and only has it at events for the money and has told people this on IRC and in conversation. Every community that isn't tekken or street fighter gets shafted at EVO for stuff considered basic at other tournaments. A lot of the FGC hates smash and wants it out of tournaments because they have a completely different culture than traditional games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

you don't know anything about the fgc, please repost what you said in the fighting games thread and see how people react to you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also evo stiffs people on money constantly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Mew2King allegation fell apart real fast, I really feel bad for the guy.

CW
Someone accused him of cumming on their bed, or them while they slept and then running away. M2K held a stream where he was pretty upset and he had to reveal he couldn't do that even if he wanted to because of a botched circumcision he had when he was a kid. A lot of people are trying to support him right now because that's not something you want to reveal I imagine, but the usual suspects are dogging on him pretty hard making jokes :smith:

CW Again: The topic is serious and M2K starts having trouble breathing because he gets so upset and ashamed of his 'secret'. The cameraman has to help him at several points and it's hard to watch.
M2K's response
the mew2king cumming on a bed story has been around for ages as a rumor/weird gossip, like the fgc equivalent of marilyn manson sucking his own dick. someone probably just rephrased it as a legit accusation as a troll. lovely that given the environment mew2king had to actually address that, though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Woozy posted:

uh no? lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/RyanDCB/status/1279496915072278531

People impersonating others are starting to crop up for accusations

E: For the record nobody believed them it looks like due to how sloppy it was but still, what a rear end in a top hat.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 5, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

https://twitter.com/JisuArtist/status/1279756862808748032?s=20

It's 64 pages. There are a lot of images in the doc along with link to imugur albums for easier reading.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anything new on the Cinnpie accusations? One of the Smash tournament organizations that banned her, claims she confessed the accusations are true, but was very vague about the whole thing and there is nothing public to confirm this that I have seen. Cinnpie has yet to make any sort of statement (granted hers is extremely serious and involves a very real prison sentence) since the accusation came out.

https://twitter.com/2GGaming/status/1278809283644149760

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
:sax:

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hypocrisy posted:

https://twitter.com/JisuArtist/status/1279756862808748032?s=20

It's 64 pages. There are a lot of images in the doc along with link to imugur albums for easier reading.

Came here to post this. I'm actually sick reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Came here to post this. I'm actually sick reading this.

Can you summarize it because I don't think I have the fortitude to read it but I also don't want to repeat lies about it's content?