Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Bloodbourne's elder god stand-ins just want to have a family and settle down somewhere nice, but all these humans keep performing terrible experiments on them and drinking their blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

didn't lovecraft's father also go violently insane

Yup! Between his family life and the mental illness that ran in both of his family lines, he didn't really have a chance to not come out a shithead.

They are not excuses for him being a shithead, but there are plenty of reasons that somewhat understandably led to him being a shithead.

About Robert Chambers and The King in Yellow, he only wrote five or so horror stories. The vast majority of his work was pulp paperback coming of age stories about prim and proper young aristocratic women being prim and proper. Because of the poo poo quality paper those mass produced books were made out of, though, none of them still exist. The only reason we have the stories from The King in Yellow was because they were printed in magazines on higher quality paper.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Last of Us Part 2 keeps making me drop down from single story high ledges to progress, but there's no way to make the character tuck and roll so they always eat poo poo and go OOF and land on their hands and knees. Why can't I hit the dodge button or drop off while crouching to land normally??

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Jul 5, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, finished the main missions and now I'm doing the Street challenges, but some of them are really annoying, like the second Wallplant challenge, because you need to start at the perfect speed and angle, then not gently caress up after but the very first split second is the worst part. AFter it's just a matter of hitting the right places to keep the combo to the pillar that is the target, but starting the combo just SUCKS.

At the moment I'm just going for Am grade in everything because pro and sick are annoyingly hard, at least for me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The Last of Us Part 2 keeps making me drop down from single story high ledges to progress, but there's no way to make the character tuck and roll so they always eat poo poo and go OOF and land on their hands and knees. Why can't I hit the dodge button or drop off while crouching to land normally??

All games should use the undignified face flop animation from Dragon's Dogma for all drops over like 3 inches

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Crowetron posted:

All games should use the undignified face flop animation from Dragon's Dogma for all drops over like 3 inches

Only if it includes the sound for the longer ones too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rydiafan posted:

My mother's parents were Irish immigrants. My grandmother's last year of life, when she knew her end was coming soon, she called all of her children together so that she could confess to them with deep shame that their father was a quarter Welsh.

She was, of course, meet with a chorus of "Ummm...k?". but to someone born in Ireland a hundred years ago it was apparently a big deal.
as a Scot, the thing you really need to understand is that us and the Irish pick on the Welsh for the same reason the slightly-bullied kid is the cruellest towards the one right at the bottom of the pecking order

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Zelda Oracles GBC games are haaaaard. I keep dying to regular scrub enemies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Rolling off the cliff in Shadow of the Colossus makes for very satisfying ragdolling

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been giving RE4 a run on my old wii system and having to go to the inventory to equip weapons gets old. Unless there's a fast select option I missed somewhere. I DO love the mini tetris suitcase thingy though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crowetron posted:

At least the reboot Tomb Raiders give you an option to tap B when you fall to turn it into a roll

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SNH if you don't make Ellie do a ground pound immediately before landing every time

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Rolling off the cliff in Shadow of the Colossus makes for very satisfying ragdolling

All of Fumito Ueda's games has satisfying ragdolling. I really like how the protagonists of those games stumble around like idiots.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

SNH if you don't make Ellie do a ground pound immediately before landing every time

Watched a playthrough of that game, and it looks super fun (don't have a ps4 so I can't play it)...and I think the story was good...I just don't get the constant actively start murdering someone then have a change of heart situation, again and again...it was silly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I had a sack of money I'd produce a Lovecraft game with the express intent of pissing off all eight remaining Lovecraft fans. The lead character would be a POC, there'd be no racist-commentary, no melodramatic narration, the gameplay would rip off RE7, and Cthulhu would never be mentioned in favour of some other abomination. Nyarlathotep 4 life.

hbomberguy talked about a movie that was somewhat like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Weapon/armor duarability in Diablo 3 feels like such a holdover from a forgotten era. Loot is so common and frequent that you're constantly switching through items that it feels like unnecessary mechanic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I had a sack of money I'd produce a Lovecraft game with the express intent of pissing off all eight remaining Lovecraft fans. The lead character would be a POC, there'd be no racist-commentary, no melodramatic narration, the gameplay would rip off RE7, and Cthulhu would never be mentioned in favour of some other abomination. Nyarlathotep 4 life.

Maybe Lovecraft County will get an adaptation

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe Lovecraft County will get an adaptation

Not sure if :thejoke: but it is

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Weapon/armor duarability in Diablo 3 feels like such a holdover from a forgotten era. Loot is so common and frequent that you're constantly switching through items that it feels like unnecessary mechanic

Witcher 3, Skyrim and Zelda: BOTW too.

Weapon/armor durability is a thing that needs to just die. Sometimes games, in effort to chase realism, forget what's actually loving fun to DO in a game.

Changing my oil and rotating my tires in an open world driving game are realistic, but gently caress if I feel like bothering doing it in a GTA game when I'm trying to commit crimes and poo poo. Cleaning my guns, feeding my horse and making coffee might be realistic in a cowboy game, but gently caress me if I wanna sit around doing it in an open world western game.

Realistic does not always = fun in a game setting.

I don't need to take a shower and catch some sleep in my Spiderman or Batman: Arkham game, thank you very much.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BiggerBoat posted:

Weapon/armor durability is a thing that needs to just die. Sometimes games, in effort to chase realism, forget what's actually loving fun to DO in a game.

Changing my oil and rotating my tires in an open world driving game are realistic, but gently caress if I feel like bothering doing it in a GTA game when I'm trying to commit crimes and poo poo. Cleaning my guns, feeding my horse and making coffee might be realistic in a cowboy game, but gently caress me if I wanna sit around doing it in an open world western game.

I don't need to take a shower and catch some sleep in my Spiderman or Batman: Arkham game, thank you very much.

For the love of god, do not play MySummerCar

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the weapon durability in bloodborne was especially odd, fixing your weapons is at once completely trivial and juuuust annoying enough to nag at you over time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

For the love of god, do not play MySummerCar

Deal.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dead Island is the only game I played where I felt like the weapon durability made sense within the game. The character needs to carry a large number of weapons because they constantly wear out until they are repaired. It really drives home the feeling of being trapped on an island with zombies and fighting with whatever's on hand.

That being said, while it makes sense for the game, if it was an option, I would probably still turn off durability because it is such a pain.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Whether you liked it or but, I don't think BOTW deserves to be in this list. All of the other games repairing is trivial, yet about. It's pointless busywork and/or backtracking for zero enjoyment gain.

BOTW was intentionally changing the core gameplay loop by converting equipment into a consumable commodity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mostly hate durability as a mechanic, but playing through TLoU2 this weekend, it's at least understandable since the game is largely designed around stealth and scarcity.

Speaking of that game, a silly thing that bothers me is a story thread where you're tracking down a particular character and finally catch up and hold them at gunpoint in a building crowded with enemies. Ellie grabs her revolver for the cutscene but gets sneered at and told the sound would bring everyone running. The goofy thing is that I've been going stealthy as much as possible and have specifically crafted a silencer for my other handgun, which Ellie puts away for the cutscene and draws again the moment it ends. I know it's tiny, but it just seems like a clumsy moment of immersion breaking when the game is all about stealth and making yourself quieter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jjack229 posted:

Dead Island is the only game I played where I felt like the weapon durability made sense within the game. The character needs to carry a large number of weapons because they constantly wear out until they are repaired. It really drives home the feeling of being trapped on an island with zombies and fighting with whatever's on hand.

That being said, while it makes sense for the game, if it was an option, I would probably still turn off durability because it is such a pain.

Wait wasn't Dead Island the game with repair benches where a bat somehow costs 700$ to be fixed?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BiggerBoat posted:

Skyrim doesn't have durability. Fallout 3/NV did. They dropped it for 4.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

rydiafan posted:

Whether you liked it or but, I don't think BOTW deserves to be in this list. All of the other games repairing is trivial, yet about. It's pointless busywork and/or backtracking for zero enjoyment gain.

BOTW was intentionally changing the core gameplay loop by converting equipment into a consumable commodity.

Yeah. It was frustrating at first but the game is built around it, and engaging the system is loads of fun.

The other end of the scale is Dark Souls 3 with a full system for item durability that you will never, ever interact with in a normal game because resting auto-repairs everything.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RareAcumen posted:

Wait wasn't Dead Island the game with repair benches where a bat somehow costs 700$ to be fixed?

My experience was go out and kill things and do quests until weapons are nearly broken. Go back and sell all the loot. Spend about half the money on repairs, the rest on medkits and maybe have some leftover to buy a better weapon.

Yeah, the actual prices they attached to the repair was crazy. They could have used bottle caps, or ruppies, or magic crafting material instead. But functionally, I thought it worked for the mood and the setting.

I can also appreciate that if forced me to use different types of weapons as they wore down, instead of sticking with one all the time.

But still, if there was an option to earn half as much money better never need to repair, I would have done that.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno, but i do know dying light is basically good dead island and did weapon durability better, because you were able to fix your weapons a limited number of times but it took a moment. Rarer grade weapons have more durability, but you also get a massive boost from modifying them and since you cant remodify weapons and the weapons do level you are encouraged to later use those higher level weapons you held onto because they will get replaced either by higher quality gear, higher level gear, or better modifications.

Its not nearly perfect, but it works well enough to make things interesting and help encourage players to use different weapons when considered alongside the fact that modifications are only for certain kinds of weapons for the most part.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Weapon durability sucked in BOTW as it does in most video games. The only effect it had on me in practice was encouraging me to carry around 15 swords or sticks in my pocket, with bonus added busywork of swapping to a new one twice per battle because Link doesn't automatically pull out the next one in your inventory.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How do people play Skyrim without inevitably becoming a stealth-archer who soul traps their horse all day?

Now I'm bummed when I realize the beautiful music is composed by a creep.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jul 5, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How do people play Skyrim without inevitably becoming a stealth-archer who soul traps their horse all day?

Now I'm bummed when I realize the beautiful music is composed by a creep.

Mostly by hitting anything and everything with a big enough hammer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My understanding of it was that people would do something using enchanting and alchemy to give themselves an additional 6mil attack damage and mana regen or something. I'm not sure how it worked.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know of the feedback loop but anything to do with potion crafting is a pain in the rear end.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Weapon durability sucked in BOTW as it does in most video games. The only effect it had on me in practice was encouraging me to carry around 15 swords or sticks in my pocket, with bonus added busywork of swapping to a new one twice per battle because Link doesn't automatically pull out the next one in your inventory.

Yeah, I don't care how integral to the gameplay or thematically appropriate it is - the way durability is almost always implemented causes a bunch of tedious UI interaction, often at the worst possible moments. Come up with a way to do it that doesn't require constantly dicking around in menus and I might like it.

Like imagine a BOTW where your weapons are, I dunno, "digitized" and stored in your tablet thing, and you don't have any say in what weapon it spits out next when you need one. So your sword breaks and it decides to hand you a boomerang, and you have to adapt to that on the fly. Or alternately you can only carry one weapon, and combat involves scrambling around for a dropped weapon whenever yours breaks.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Triarii posted:

Yeah, I don't care how integral to the gameplay or thematically appropriate it is - the way durability is almost always implemented causes a bunch of tedious UI interaction, often at the worst possible moments. Come up with a way to do it that doesn't require constantly dicking around in menus and I might like it.

Like imagine a BOTW where your weapons are, I dunno, "digitized" and stored in your tablet thing, and you don't have any say in what weapon it spits out next when you need one. So your sword breaks and it decides to hand you a boomerang, and you have to adapt to that on the fly. Or alternately you can only carry one weapon, and combat involves scrambling around for a dropped weapon whenever yours breaks.

That sounds horrible and much worse than how BotW actually is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Imagine a BotW where all the weapons were on the WiiU tablet and you could quickly change in combat by tapping on the picture instead of hitting a directional button a few times or opening a menu

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

That sounds horrible and much worse than how BotW actually is

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here. But needing to pause the action constantly to select my next weapon pretty much completely broke the flow of combat and made it impossible to enjoy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like when games aren't super handholdy and let the player figure things out but I found the game below completely impenetrable in terms of mechanics, and even the opening cutscene had me bored.

The swordplay wasn't too fun, and apparently it becomes challenging to the point of unfun later. The controls weren't modifiable either. Only second game I've refunded on steam.