Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nakamura started on the roster in March 2002. He stuck around until January 2006, when he finally got to have an excursion after, instead of sending him off the same way everyone else goes, he was called "Super Rookie" for the first few years of his career, was given the IWGP title, and all that stuff, mostly on the back of him showing aptitude for MMA and doing a few fights in the 2002-2003 period (he won his third fight in September '03; they put the belt on him in December).

He'd come back, joined BLACK until Riki Choshu came in as booker and scuttled the group (this would be Riki's final go-round before handing the pencil off to Gedo and Jado), formed RISE from the ashes of that after coming back from an injury, start showing personality, RISE got into a war with Great Bash Heel, RISE guys betrayed Nakamura to join GBH, and eventually Nakamura would steal all but Honma and Makabe (who had formed the group) from GBH thanks to Yano betraying Makabe to form CHAOS (yes, the last remaining original CHAOS member is Yano), and Nakamura fully turned into the arena rock pop god character that was his Intercontinental title period.

There's also the time, after unifying the IGF (third) and NJPW (fourth) IWGP belts after a year of there being two thanks to Brock loving off with the physical belt until Inoki talked him into dropping it to Angle, that he successfully defended the title and then turned to Inoki, who was either on commentary or in the front row, and basically said "I unified this belt by beating your champ, maybe I should beat you next and unify the original title with this one", referring to the old, circular medallion belt that Inoki was the original holder of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Cameo posted:

Nakamura started on the roster in March 2002. He stuck around until January 2006, when he finally got to have an excursion after, instead of sending him off the same way everyone else goes, he was called "Super Rookie" for the first few years of his career, was given the IWGP title, and all that stuff, mostly on the back of him showing aptitude for MMA and doing a few fights in the 2002-2003 period (he won his third fight in September '03; they put the belt on him in December).

He'd come back, joined BLACK until Riki Choshu came in as booker and scuttled the group (this would be Riki's final go-round before handing the pencil off to Gedo and Jado), formed RISE from the ashes of that after coming back from an injury, start showing personality, RISE got into a war with Great Bash Heel, RISE guys betrayed Nakamura to join GBH, and eventually Nakamura would steal all but Honma and Makabe (who had formed the group) from GBH thanks to Yano betraying Makabe to form CHAOS (yes, the last remaining original CHAOS member is Yano), and Nakamura fully turned into the arena rock pop god character that was his Intercontinental title period.

There's also the time, after unifying the IGF (third) and NJPW (fourth) IWGP belts after a year of there being two thanks to Brock loving off with the physical belt until Inoki talked him into dropping it to Angle, that he successfully defended the title and then turned to Inoki, who was either on commentary or in the front row, and basically said "I unified this belt by beating your champ, maybe I should beat you next and unify the original title with this one", referring to the old, circular medallion belt that Inoki was the original holder of.

I always thought Ishii had been there from the beginning with Yano. Haven't they been a tag team going back to GBH like 15 years ago?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I forget that Ishii and Yano started a tag team even before GBH, trying to keep track of these factions in the second half of the 00s is pretty hectic, and every turn Yano’s done, Ishii’s gone with

... of course for much of it Ishii was on the low, low end of the card

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Rarity posted:

Imagine being 23 and your wrestling career already being dead

You're going to have to make a very sincere apology to Master Wato for ever doubting him and dye your hair blue if you ever want to join Wato-Gun.

Where my Wato-Gun fam at?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

G1's still currently on the calendar (prob not a surprise to most here admittedly, but Meij saying it in an interview with SI is still notable) (also article mentions the G1 briefly, don't click if you're not caught up) http://www.si.com/wrestling/2020/07/03/new-japan-pro-wrestling-g1-climax

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 6, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Imagine being 23 and your wrestling career already being dead

Yeah, Velveteen Dream waited till he was 24.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Where my Wato-Gun fam at?

I'm Fully Watomatic

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DOUKI is winning

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

come on down my friend. it's time to meet your master

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Velveteen Dream waited till he was 24.

That's unusual for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stanfield posted:

That's unusual for him.

Oh God, I feel bad for laughing at that :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Power Windows posted:

I'm Fully Watomatic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_kBTbbulQ

He's a Watomatic man!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why this car is auto-Watic
It's syste-Watic
It's hydro-Watic

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Stanfield posted:

That's unusual for him.

Speed scrolling through the thread to see if this joke had been made yet.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
finally caught up with the last two events and folks, im pumped to see master wato in action!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just realised in his debut Master Wato, unlike well every other debut, did not immediately align with one of the mega-stables. He is in that weird no alignment group alongside Honma. Even YH is in CHAOS.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Well if you had a stable would you want Master Wato in it?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lid posted:

Just realised in his debut Master Wato, unlike well every other debut, did not immediately align with one of the mega-stables. He is in that weird no alignment group alongside Honma. Even YH is in CHAOS.

Makabe and Honma are still clinging to the GBH name despite being the only members of it for over a decade.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lid posted:

master wato to lead ibushi and tanahashi in a new world-beating stable

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Croc posted:

Master Wato walkout music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXatLOWjr-k

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Or just this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

Jay White didn't join CHAOS until two days after WK12 and Hiromu didn't join LIJ until like a month after redebuting. I think Wato probably stays in Hontai though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN0K974SAtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlvPe959Ck

ok i've come around on Master Wato - make him Master Wato the Woobie

He's such a lost soul and lost cause that you love him. He's all alone in a big bad world and trying to fake it til he makes it. He listens to The National.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

All the faction leaders will line up with t-shirts to give to Master Wato, but they're all 4 sizes too small and while he struggles to put them all on DOUKI comes out and hits him with a lead pipe

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Burn Down Canberra posted:

SHO is short in the world where the ace is 6'3. In a promotion like New Japan that will limit his potential.

Shingo, Ishii, hell even Naito isn't THAT tall.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Master Wato is Philippe.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

shingo and ishii are great examples of extremely high level talent having limited potential success. i don't think ability was in question

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Croc posted:

no, he'd take over!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Shingo, Ishii, hell even Naito isn't THAT tall.

Researching the heights of all past IWGP Champions, it looks like NJPW stick to the same rule as girls on dating sites of accepting no guys under 180cm. The only champion shorter than that was Salman Hashimikov for 48 days in 1989 (Naito, AJ, Sasaki and Hashimoto are all dead on 180). SHO is 173cm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
if AJ is 180 then Adam Cole is six feet.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
At the moment there is a 180cm height restriction to even get into the Japanese dojo. Obviously they will lower this if they need junior hws but they want taller wrestlers

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
bruh look at these dudes

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

At the moment there is a 180cm height restriction to even get into the Japanese dojo. Obviously they will lower this if they need junior hws but they want taller wrestlers

Hell, that was the reason why Ishii was rejected from the dojo.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm just not really feeling this Okada/Evil final. I desperately wanted Hiromu to win and Okada going through LIJ is just meh.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Should be an 100 kg weigh restriction, need those big beefy boys.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Meadowhill posted:

Should be an 100 kg weigh restriction, need those big beefy boys.

Thats what the LA Dojo is for.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Master Wato is Philippe.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
:vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

Master Wato is Philippe.

Jerusalem posted:

What the fuccck he's only 5? :stare:

Anyway, getting back on topi-

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Meadowhill posted:

I'm just not really feeling this Okada/Evil final. I desperately wanted Hiromu to win and Okada going through LIJ is just meh.

How easily we forget that everything is, in fact, EVIL