Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Just started playing and I keep dying horribly as soon as I set foot on level 2. Even so, still a ton of fun to try out different stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Had to release a quick fix as release 34:

Human wizards with a possible Web-spell shouldn't be created on dungeon level 2. Fixed.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Getting Lucky: A Zorbus Tale :smaug:

The last time I left off I had a problem. Specifically there was a white (frost breath) and black (acid breath) dragon hanging around a stairs down on level 6 with a drow wizard.

Bereft of companions, I can't take on those three enemies. Thus I sold some +3 equipment in Carillo to buy an Elixir of Cloning for about 1500 gold.

I made my clone (90% of my stats and everything), slapped the best equipment I had left over onto him and headed down to level 6 to confront the dragon twosome and drow wizard.

The above image depicts the first encounter. Got swarmed again and I rescued my clone by using my last charge from an Orb of Dismissal. Dragons, wizard and summoned creatures got thrown around the level again.

My clone and I carefully searched the level and the first enemy I found was the drow wizard. We engaged him from ranged and the wizard was nice enough to hang around within arrow range so we could snipe his candy rear end
down to dead.

One down, two to go. I engaged the white dragon but then around the corner comes the black dragon. My clone got too far ahead of me (again overconfidence on my part) and then got ripped apart in melee by both dragons.

So I decided to take a different stairs down to level 7 and explore very carefully. Look what I found.

Back in business baby!

The first dragon I encountered (on level 7) after obtaining the Orb was a poison dragon, so I charmed them. Turned out to be a good choice because their poison is relatively potent and it killed more than one fleeing enemy, which means more experience for me.

Oh and I also used the wand of Animate Dead to raise three skeleton meatshields. I equipped them all with plate mail, helmets and weapons so they were not exactly pushovers.

With my dragon buddy and skeleton backup I was able to kill enough enemies on level 7 that I eventually found these two items:

In a given game of Zorbus I have noticed you will usually come upon one rare armor. I'm guessing the Gorgon Plate Armor +1 is my one rare armor. Which is great because with that acid resistance I should be able to take care of the black dragon on level 6.

Then I found the Scourge of the Slave Lords +3 after killing the slaver leader. This looks like an awesome weapon but look closer. See that Melee defense modifier of -3? I can't be having that, I need all the defense I can get. So into the weapons stockpile in Carillo it goes.

I was also lucky enough on level 7 to find an Elixir of Experience. I think these grant you one free level per elixir so save them until you are at a high enough level to benefit from your exp bar filling.

Not pictured is another Elixir of Cloning I found on level 7 as well. This is great. I need more troops and who better now than another clone of myself? I may even given him the +3 Scourge of the Slave Lords. So the exploration of level 7 continues.

One last tidbit. I don't think dragons can open doors. I was able to hide in a room adjacent to the white and black dragons and recover all of my stamina just fine.

Next time I'll finish clearing level 7. Or I'll just die. Who knows?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Hell yeah, inspirational. Keep us posted.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Zorbus: In which I make several mistakes. :negative:

Yes it's that time again. Time for Yet Another Stupid Death.

Well, it didn't start out that way...

I was clearing out the rest of level 7 when I found another guarded wizard's treasure vault. See that, that's an Iron golem. At this depth I expect Iron or worse Adamantium golems. I decided to skip the treasure (likely a bunch of potions anyway) because Iron golems are pretty tough and can damage even dragons for a decent amount.

Speaking of dragons, here is the stats screen for my Green companion, the stats for my clone I made by drinking the Elixir of Cloning and my stats as reference.

Remember the Clone has 90% of my stats

I also equipped my clone with the best secondhand gear I had stashed in Carillo.

My Clone, fighting fit.

So I successfully cleared level 7 with merry band. Onward to level 8, by doing, you guessed it, stairdancing.

I think I discovered a feature of stairdancing in Zorbus the hard way. Namely if you escape up the stairs to a higher level, not only do the monsters in a certain radius of the downstairs (in the same room?) climb up the stairs, it is possible that monsters from all the downstairs on your level may climb up the stairs.

This is how I explain running into two out of depth (?) monsters, a blue dragon and a beholder, in a neighboring room that had stairs to level 8 on level 7. I am certain the dragon and beholder were not there before when I was cruising around level 7.

So a long story short I was a bit tired in real life and I was not fully recognizing how much damage the lighting bolt breath weapon from the dragon was doing to my hp along with the damage from the beholder's
spell spam. I was taking about 20-25 damage a round. I was sure I could flee to the nearest available room (to the south) and shut the door to block the blue dragon's breath weapon and the beholder's gaze.

No dice.

Blue dragon is North East of the skeleton. Beholder is further East, not shown

I was a little bit shocked when I died. I had a lot of equipment and potential countermeasures. What I should have done was saved the game and come back to it later upon the first sign of serious enemy resistance.

When I updated and restarted Zorbus I found a book called Tips and Tricks...

Don't get cocky

...Yes Zorbus, good advice.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 35 is out!

Highlights:

Optional low Health warning popup dialog that blocks all commands. The dialog is visible for the configured duration or until closed with ESC, SPACE, ENTER, or left mouse click. The warning thresholds can be configured from the settings. You can set a cooldown in seconds between dialogs. You can disable the dialog when it's visible with DEL or CTRL + W. You can disable or re-enable the dialog with CTRL + W in normal game mode.

Optional Health bar / UI frame flash when low on Health. Can be configured from the settings.

When no hostile creatures are seen, companion movement speed is the same as the players.

Companions that were not near hostile creatures are regrouped around the player after autopilot / autoexplore regardless of their movement speed.

New behavior for companions: HANDLE. You can command companion to disable or force a lock / disable a trap. Target a lock or a trap with the cursor in target mode, then press companion number to command a companion, or press 0 to select the best companion for the job. There must be a clear path to the target when issuing a HANDLE command. You won't get experience points from locks or traps disabled by a companion.

Companions in FOLLOW behavior will try to disable or force a lock after your failed attempt if there's one with better Body-ability or Disable-skill nearby and neither the player or the companion sees hostile creatures. The same method (disable / force) will be used. Can be disabled from the settings.

Full changelog: http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Demonstration of the low health warnings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKho9KuEsFA

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
IncursionRL, another d&d roguelike, kinda ruined other single dungeon rls for me with how "alive" creatures acted and how interesting exploring the dungeon felt as a result. This sounds like it's going for a similar thing and that's very exciting to me.
Can you alt f4 save scum in this? I was really into trad roguelikes for a while but nowadays I have zero patience for permadeath and would prefer to play them like regular rpgs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

zorbus posted:

Release 35 is out!

Highlights:

Optional low Health warning popup dialog that blocks all commands. The dialog is visible for the configured duration or until closed with ESC, SPACE, ENTER, or left mouse click. The warning thresholds can be configured from the settings. You can set a cooldown in seconds between dialogs. You can disable the dialog when it's visible with DEL or CTRL + W. You can disable or re-enable the dialog with CTRL + W in normal game mode.

Optional Health bar / UI frame flash when low on Health. Can be configured from the settings.

When no hostile creatures are seen, companion movement speed is the same as the players.

Companions that were not near hostile creatures are regrouped around the player after autopilot / autoexplore regardless of their movement speed.

New behavior for companions: HANDLE. You can command companion to disable or force a lock / disable a trap. Target a lock or a trap with the cursor in target mode, then press companion number to command a companion, or press 0 to select the best companion for the job. There must be a clear path to the target when issuing a HANDLE command. You won't get experience points from locks or traps disabled by a companion.

Companions in FOLLOW behavior will try to disable or force a lock after your failed attempt if there's one with better Body-ability or Disable-skill nearby and neither the player or the companion sees hostile creatures. The same method (disable / force) will be used. Can be disabled from the settings.

Full changelog: http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Demonstration of the low health warnings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKho9KuEsFA

That rules a lot, especially the lock thing.

It took me forever to figure out how to load up my skeletons with excess crap but hoboy... sure makes up for not having any armor to have a squad of your excess gear floating around doing the dirty work.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 20, 2020

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 36
  • Improved autoexplore: There is no need to manually walk around the dungeon to search for remaining hidden areas. Once autoexplore no longer finds anything to explore, it will check if your Search-skill is high enough to detect any of the possibly existing secret doors on the map. If something is found, autoexplore autopilots you to the found secret door. You may want to boost your Search-skill with items, potions or talents, even temporarily, for better results.
  • Type "0" as a filter in inventory / level loot lists to filter special items, unique items, devices (potions, wands, etc.). Remember that you can filter with an item type (function keys) and a keyword at the same time, so you could press F3 to filter weapons and then type "0" to filter only unique or special weapons.
  • Some difficulty finetuning.
  • Leaderboard has been reset. The old leaderboard for releases 28-35 can be found at http://wins.zorbus.net/r35.
  • You can add a timestamped comment to the journal by pressing CTRL + N. The log journal is added to obituary files.
  • Some new sound effects. Fixed some audio related bugs.
  • Added new gameplay tips to the manual and ingame tips book: dualwielding, different ways to open locks, level loot.
  • The ingame Zorbupedia now has a list of all talents in the game. You can filter Zorbupedia topics with a keyword. Zorbupedia can be opened from the game menu, during character generation and during level up.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I saved the game in the trading plane and after reloading the teleport back to the dungeon doesn't work - trying to step into it has no effect, like trying to walk into a wall, both using mouse or keyboard. Is it a bug or am I forgetting something obvious?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
drat, sounds bad. Do you still have the save? Can you send it to me?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Sure do, can I use the email shown on the webpage? Which file should I send, the .zsg or all of them?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Yes, the webpage email. Send all files from the save-folder.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Awesome, thanks for fixing the save. Let me know if you need any more info about what I was doing before I got the bug.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Sure, if you can remember any details.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I rolled another character, again saved in Carillo and again ran into the same bug - looks like it happens consistently

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
I can't reproduce it. Did you have any companions with the second character?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I did have one, maybe that's what triggers it.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
I think I found something. I can reproduce the bug if all companions have not yet arrived from the teleport when the game is saved at the shop level.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 37
  • Fixed a bug where NPCs could equip a 2-h weapon after only a shield was equipped in off-hand. (thanks to KurzedMetal for reporting this)
  • Charmed creatures no longer react to player looting containers in their home. (thanks to KurzedMetal)
  • Fixed a bug where the shop level teleporter wouldn't work if the game was saved before all companions arrived at the level. (thanks to szary)
  • Changed weapon enchantment a bit: There's a chance that the weapon will be destroyed in the process if it's already enchanted with more than 3 enchantments. Every enchantment point above 3 decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points. Plusses, extra elemental damage points, holy-/returning-/vampiric-properties and on-hit effects count as enchantments.
  • When the selector is over an enchantment scroll in the inventory, the info box shows which item the scroll would target and the enchantment success chance.
  • New item: Scroll of Returning Weapon. Adds the returning-property to a weapon (thrown weapon returns to thrower's hand).
  • Small fixes and polishing done.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I want a spear of returning, hot drat.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Started playing this game a bit and I'm quite new so these are just my first impressions but:

1. Wizards are total assholes
2. Being a fighter feels pretty hopeless
3. Difficulty scales really fast

Like after level 3 every wizard enemy will take pot shots at you and teleport away constantly. I have no idea how a melee character is supposed to deal with that.

Also my typical thing of fighting in doorways against hordes doesn't work as well because enemies can squeeze past you if you stand one tile behind the door and if you stand in the door you're getting hit by 3.

Also magic pretty much requires you to go all in on a great stat (Mind) while being a fighter requires you to balance between body and mobility to get the higher talents.

The game being very grounded in old school DnD probably explains a lot, but I really have no idea how to get a fighter past level 2.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

WarpedLichen posted:

Started playing this game a bit and I'm quite new so these are just my first impressions but:

This is true of real life as well.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
this game is neat well done

i also got smoked with a half troll melee type on level 2 but i had a good time getting there

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

2. Being a fighter feels pretty hopeless
3. Difficulty scales really fast

Like after level 3 every wizard enemy will take pot shots at you and teleport away constantly. I have no idea how a melee character is supposed to deal with that.

Yeah wizards are difficult because they are cowards. This is why I talked up the Tiefling in the summary of play, above. Tieflings have firebolt which is great for terminating fleeing enemies. Otherwise you are going to have to rely on the warrior talent Charge or have a good ranged weapon you can switch to.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have won most of my fighter runs and I don't use ranged weapons very much(past the earlygame anyways, where finishing enemies often requires it) and I never get charge. My methodology revolves around getting dual wield immediately(much easier with lone wolf) and dual wielding spears as soon as possible, which are a fantastic weapon with high damage, decent speed, boosted crits, and reach, all on top of being 1-handed.

Having the motion required to dual-wield also makes running down enemies noticeably easier.

Web still really sucks for melee characters though.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 6, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I have won most of my fighter runs and I don't use ranged weapons very much(past the earlygame anyways, where finishing enemies often requires it) and I never get charge. My methodology revolves around getting dual wield immediately(much easier with lone wolf) and dual wielding spears as soon as possible, which are a fantastic weapon with high damage, decent speed, boosted crits, and reach, all on top of being 1-handed.

Having the motion required to dual-wield also makes running down enemies noticeably easier.

Very interesting. I'm going to have to try this strategy.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Teach me your secrets. What's the build?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is the dwarf build I'm using currently. might be possible to make stronger versions of this on other species but I haven't done the math.

something this does not show is that I don't spend all the skill points, I raise melee to 2 on character creation and just bank the last point, and then at level 2 I can hit melee 3 immediately.
at that point I have all the prereqs for dual wield, I just need to hit level 3 to get the talent point for it. could change the build to get it at level 2 but I don't think it's worth it.

I also already have all the prereqs at this point for improved melee criticals, health surge, and squirm, all of which I want.

e: I do also put points into ranged combat after a bit specifically to get close combat ranged, because it works with spears. and via that you can reliably melee nearby enemies with your spears while you are caught in webs/slime.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 6, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Still get anywhere with a melee or ranged build but my gnome wizard just ascended to godhood.

Burned a lot of resources randomly exploring Zorbus and fighting Demogorgon. Had to flee because I couldn't match up to his regen and web wasn't working. Luckily I had 37 potions of blink that could get me out of trouble.

After that close run in with death decided to just end it and fight a god. Was able to beat the wizard with some orbs of anchoring which are amazing.

Does this mean that my future runs will have my character help me out in the final fights? That would be sweet.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

WarpedLichen posted:

Does this mean that my future runs will have my character help me out in the final fights? That would be sweet.
Yes, ascended characters stay there and help you in the fights.

Just note that updating the game clears ascended characters.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Kinda sad that I didn't show up on the online leaderboards even though I had the option checked.

Is there some other step I'm missing?

nvm: made it as Antorm the Gnome

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 13, 2020

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 38 (13-Jul-2020)

Most of the stuff in this release is implemented after feedback, so big thanks for it!
  • Hopefully fixed a severe infinite loop bug that could happen when you looted home furniture of charmed creatures. (thanks to Horvatii and Mkok)
  • Companions no longer enter a teleporter that you just came out from. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Companions follow the player better in corridors and other tight areas. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Resting 100 rounds for Health / Stamina is interrupted when one of your companions reach full Health / Stamina. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Companions use ammunition now more intelligently. (thanks to Claudio)
  • You can give a Flask of Poison or a Flask of Slime to a companion who will then automatically use it.
  • New feature: Autoammo. When autoammo is enabled, the best ammunition against a target is automatically selected. Autoammo tries to restrain, poison, or otherwise select an ammunition that the creature is most vulnerable to. Ammunition of Dismiss or Explosion are not used, but ammunition of Slime and Poison are. Can be toggled with CTRL + Q. Can be toggled from the main game mode or from target mode. A green "AA" text is shown in the weapon set box when a ranged weapon and autoammo is active.
  • Squirm talent grants a bonus when trying to squirm through a restraining map effect (web, slime).
  • Fixed checking if a creature is on a restraining map effect when he uses reach or ranged attack.
  • AI spellcasters are not so spammy with web / poison cloud spells.
  • It is no longer possible to edit inventories of summoned celestials. (You could summon them, take their weapons and sell them at the shop, thanks to Mkok for reporting this)
  • Drow companion now has a proper dualwield talent that is listed on his character sheet. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Log viewer separates which messages belong to a given round. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Amulet of Health no longer grants immunity to poison but resistance of 2 points.
  • The miscellaneous statistics in obituary files shows the number of animated and summoned creatures.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
How do you use target mode? I'm trying to get the red corners around the enemy to use R for attack marked.

But nowhere in the help or on the internet does it explain how to do anything but examine creatures with target mode.

All I can get is the solid red box around enemies. It won't stay targeted. How do I target?

EDIT: OK I see how it auto-targets for ranged. I guess I was hoping it would move towards enemies and attack in melee.

ZLogic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 15, 2020

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

This game is pretty great. It differentiates itself well from Crawl. The sounds, npc interaction, character customization, and smart ai are a really nice touch.

My only complaint is the inability to auto-move and auto-attack using melee weapons. I see that you can do it with reach and ranged attacks, but the enemy flee AI makes chasing them down kind of a headache otherwise. Especially without a keypad.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

ZLogic posted:

My only complaint is the inability to auto-move and auto-attack using melee weapons. I see that you can do it with reach and ranged attacks, but the enemy flee AI makes chasing them down kind of a headache otherwise. Especially without a keypad.

I was previously really against auto-move/attack, but now that you mention it, it actually could be a really nice feature. I'm just thinking how to mark the target creature as a chase target. Red is currently for ranged/reach target, aqua for throw attack targets and yellow for talent targets.

If you use arrow keys to move, have you tried shift + arrows to move diagonally? I don't have a numpad myself either.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Yes I'm using the shift+arrows, and it takes some getting used to, but combined with the flee AI it becomes frustrating. My first character was a half-troll with no ranged, and I would sit there running in circles indefinitely and never catching the enemies. It also becomes pretty hard on the fingers, especially with a compact keyboard. Right now I don't want to play any melee characters because of it.

I would use the normal R-Attack Marked button and for melee simply have it take one step towards the closest enemy or attack if in range. If multiple are at same range, choose a random enemy and stick with it until no longer tied for closest. The same logic as in Crawl. You might not want to have the red mark visible in this case, since it would almost always be visible. If you renamed it 'Auto attack' or something like that, then it wouldn't imply that the mark would always be visible.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Also, on the esc menu, I think the "Return to Main Menu" button should warn players that they are about to delete their current character.

I lost a nice character that way, assuming it would be saved.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

ZLogic posted:

I would use the normal R-Attack Marked button and for melee simply have it take one step towards the closest enemy or attack if in range. If multiple are at same range, choose a random enemy and stick with it until no longer tied for closest. The same logic as in Crawl. You might not want to have the red mark visible in this case, since it would almost always be visible. If you renamed it 'Auto attack' or something like that, then it wouldn't imply that the mark would always be visible.

This sounds quite good, but there might some annoyances:
If you have a melee / throw weapon equipped, R is also used for throwing at marked target if the distance is greater than reach distance. Imagine rapidly pressing R and then throwing your spear although you didn't mean to.

I could change the binding A for autopilot to CTRL + A, and use A for approach & (melee / reach) attack.

Good point about the "Return to Main Menu", have to make it save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

zorbus posted:

If you have a melee / throw weapon equipped, R is also used for throwing at marked target if the distance is greater than reach distance. Imagine rapidly pressing R and then throwing your spear although you didn't mean to.

Yea I thought about that. My preference would be assuming melee for auto-attack, and then using F if you want to throw the weapon, since melee attacks seem more common than throwing a weapon, which can only be done once per weapon. You could make F-F be equivalent to F-Enter, so that it feels almost as quick as pressing R.