Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here in Iceland during the day babies sleep almost exclusively outdoors if the weather allows (anything short of a storm).

It's a thing In all the nordic countries and there's basically no reason other than "that's what we've allways done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

My dad had one of those for his cats. Plastic, with clear walls. I don't think it had vents. Just gave them a nice view of the outside, and could support lounging in a way narrow windowsills couldn't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just gonna throw out one word: pigeons

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My grandma napped my dad/his siblings on the porch during Buffalo, NY winters. She suggested it to my mom when I was born and my mom thought she was nuts.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Cold air is good for the lungs. Just need to keep to core temperature up.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Here's one lost on me.

In Alison Bechdel's "Fun Home" she recounts the story her grandmother would tell of Alison's father stuck out in a muddy field at age 3 for some time in the late 1930s. He was found by the milkman who brought her father to her grandmother who proceeded to put him into the oven to warm him up.

Alison said it really freaked out her and her siblings, thinking about how that would work with a "modern" (late 60s) oven with heating elements and presumably turning it on.

I've read it several times and I can't find where she explains how exactly it DID "work" for pre-electric/pre-gas stoves. Were those ovens just steel cavities that could have fit a 3 year old child and that without a fire going, it would just allow the child's body heat to reflect back upon them? Or with embers going from the previous meal, just have enough heat to be "pleasantly warm" instead of actually cooking/roasting?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cheesus posted:

I've read it several times and I can't find where she explains how exactly it DID "work" for pre-electric/pre-gas stoves. Were those ovens just steel cavities that could have fit a 3 year old child and that without a fire going, it would just allow the child's body heat to reflect back upon them? Or with embers going from the previous meal, just have enough heat to be "pleasantly warm" instead of actually cooking/roasting?

Keep the door open and they can stay merely warm.

Often used to heat up semi-frozen kittens and the like

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Cold air is good for the lungs.

There's literally no scientific reason to why we let kids sleep outside.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

As a parent, it lets me have loud sex without fear of waking the kid. Also I forget to change the air inside by opening windows, which is bad for both me and my kid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

As a parent, it lets me have loud sex without fear of waking the kid. Also I forget to change the air inside by opening windows, which is bad for both me and my kid.

By all means, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Just that we shouldn't pretend that it is a rational reason as to why we do it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Research shows that babies sleep better / longer when they sleep in cold air. We've discussed this a couple of times in the parenting thread!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sleeping more is strongly correlated with mortality!

in adults

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Moo the cow posted:

Keep the door open and they can stay merely warm.

Often used to heat up semi-frozen kittens and the like

Nobody likes cold pussy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

in adults

Not a mark against it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

in adults
This guy hasn't woken up in three days. Let's see if he's dead.

Mmmmyep. Oh man, this dataset is coming together nicely.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
In the intro to “Tellers of Tales”, Maugham writes “A culture is meagre that cannot get fun out of push pin as well as out of poetry.” Apparently this is paraphrasing Bentham, but what is push pin? Wikipedia provides this amusingly opaque description while noting that it “may be confusing or unclear to readers”:

quote:

Push-pin was an English child's game played from the 16th until the 19th centuries In push-pin each player sets one pin (needle) on a table and then tries to push his pin across his opponent's pin. The game is played by two or more players.

But what were the rules? Was it literally just pushing the needles across the table? No one seems to know for sure because there are conflicting descriptions and references to it from various times (maybe it was played on a hat? Or the needles were aimed at object? Or it was like jacks?). So this was common enough in past centuries that every child played it and it was an easily referenced useless pastime but now nobody would know wtf this was.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 15, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Push-pin is primarily played on top of a hat (but also any flat, jostlable surface). Each player wagers a needle and places them on top of the hat. Each player takes turns hitting/probably flicking the side of the hat to jostle the needles on top. The first player to get both needles to cross over one another wins both.

Bentham uses push-pin as his example because it embodies the basest form of entertainment and holds no intrinsic merit. There may have been other versions, but this is the traditional variant.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If I recall from QI there are some old pub games that nobody has any clue how they were played

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I watched a pro loving click on YouTube the other day with a delightful old guy from the British Museum who deciphered the oldest known rulebook for a board game, the Royal Game of Ur, which was played almost 5,000 years ago. In the video this utterly charming old guy teaches another young guy how to play the game with him.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2020

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Imagined posted:

teaches another young guy how to play the game with him.
I don't recall his presentation skills coming in to play too much in that particular video, but that young guy is Tom Scott, who has a lot of videos on interesting history, computer stuff, linguistics, and over 2.5 million YouTube subscribers (so not a nobody, but not a famous influencer or whatever).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How is 2.5M not at least mildly famous? Is a billion the new million or something?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tom Scott kept popping up as a guest in videos for me recently and then in my recommendations, and I subsequently found out I've actually known about him since forever and he was the kid behind the clip where they chuck a drumset of a cliff to make the "ba-dum-pshh" sound.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I recall from QI there are some old pub games that nobody has any clue how they were played

Also, no one knows the rules to the mesoamerican ball game despite it being a major cultural institution for ages.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
And despite still being played today, nobody knows the rules to cricket.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

And despite still being played today, nobody knows the rules to cricket.

I know this is a common joke, but I don't really get it, cricket isn't THAT complicated... But I'm also a huge baseball fan, so maybe I'm used to complicated sports

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I know this is a common joke, but I don't really get it, cricket isn't THAT complicated... But I'm also a huge baseball fan, so maybe I'm used to complicated sports

Cricket is only incomprehensible to people who expect it to be a variant of baseball.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
To quote Raphael "You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket."

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PizzaProwler posted:

To quote Raphael "You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket."

To be fair, there are regional differences over what a crumpet is, yet all of those regions agree on the rules of cricket.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Imagined posted:

I watched a pro loving click on YouTube the other day with a delightful old guy from the British Museum who deciphered the oldest known rulebook for a board game, the Royal Game of Ur, which was played almost 5,000 years ago. In the video this utterly charming old guy teaches another young guy how to play the game with him.

You can actually read a paper Irving Finkel (the guy in the video) wrote about this: https://www.academia.edu/15173145/On_the_Rules_for_the_Royal_Game_of_Ur

He goes into a bunch of detail about the kinds of dice, ways of betting on the game, and proposes several more complex rules than the simplified rule set in that video.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senet was really popular in ancient Egypt. People were buried with the boardgame and murals depicts people playing it:

Yet we have no idea how to actually play it.

Hnefatafl was a popular norse boardgame but the rules to it is either incomplete or mistranslated.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So there's this new show out on Netflix called The Babysitters Club, and in the first episode, they use a landline phone, but no one is sure if it actually works or not because its so old, and to them, old is about 35 years.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Alhazred posted:

Senet was really popular in ancient Egypt. People were buried with the boardgame and murals depicts people playing it:

Are we sure it's a board game and a display for one's dildo collection?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

So there's this new show out on Netflix called The Babysitters Club, and in the first episode, they use a landline phone, but no one is sure if it actually works or not because its so old, and to them, old is about 35 years.

35 years before I was a teenager there were Colored and White drinking faucets so that checks out.

Do Zoomers even know what a dial tone is?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Alhazred posted:

There have been attempts at reconstructing the rules, but all the attempts have resulted in what seems like a really boring game. Which, of course, raises the obvious question: are we missing some major aspect of the game, or was it just the ancient equivalent of Monopoly, a terrible game that was nonetheless ubiquitous?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not so much exclusively an older media thing but more of a general pet peeve.

Movies, TV shows and even news casters and politicians continue to say something was "caught on tape" or "we have it on tape"

Listen to the tapes. Watch the video tape.

Tape hasn't been used for decades to record poo poo but people still say stuff is "on tape".

Interesting to me even further to rewatch a show like, say, The WIre where this stuff comes up a lot and there was a REAL wire and a REAL tape recording back then.

Also, probably been mentioned but I bet modern audiences are completely baffled by the idea of busy signals, answering machines and (going back further) adjusting rabbit ears on a TV like in Fargo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Dashboards” haven’t blocked clods from horse feet for a century.

“Pen knives” continue to be called that even though quill pens were outmoded two centuries ago.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Busy signals are still a thing, especially if you’re calling for take out at a busy local restaurant in COVID times.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The fitness supplements/powders thread in YLLS refers to supplements as "tapes" because... I forget why; that's just how it is.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Alea Iacta est "The die is cast", the line that Caesar is said to have uttered prior to crossing the Rubicon, is actually a reference to a line in a comedy that Menander wrote.

As funny as it is to think of this, cheque writing in grocery lines may actually finally become completely outmoded in our lifetimes. My children might not have any idea what that actually means. I used to see it all the time when I was a kid in the early 2000s, but the number of times I've seen someone write a cheque in a grocery line has become fewer and fewer as the years go by. The last time was six months ago. In a decade, I might go two or three years before some positively ancient codger writes a check for groceries.

VFW halls are also beginning to go by the wayside as the Vietnam veterans start really dying off. Their popularity was driven by the huge number of men and women who served in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. All events which are fading from memory. WW2 and Korea sucked in a tremendous number of Americans, but by comparison, Vietnam had far less of an impact on the the number of people who served. Roughly 18 million Americans served in all three wars, which drove a tremendous expansion in the number of people who would go to a VFW hall. While I doubt the VFW will disappear altogether (as we're still fighting many, many smaller wars in other places), the number of people available to go to the VFW bar continues to plummet year by year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Alea iacta est. <:mad:>