Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

merk posted:

Only thing I've seen so far too: ##vote Token Female.

Weird tone for Token.

Nah, It will all make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Token Female posted:

not the most relieving response. I agree JX and Tokes responses are weird.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The person I most hope is town is Sandwolf because it was Tom Tucker and him that I had the strongest town reads on and whose takes made sense to me in my first game, and I felt he was encouraging to me when I wasn't sure how I was doing. So I recognize I need to be on my guard I guess about taking that read into this game no matter if he is town or scum, and trust my own takes rather than being led. But since he is probably the person I think could best sucker me as scum, I hope he is town.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

aw man I missed it

Anyway, imma ##vote Hal who hasn't participated in content game but was around for talking about the mechanics of this day event.

I also agree with scumalong's vote and think it is a good one.

So you are voting me for being around at a certain time and not the other. My defense is I was around last night and busy before that

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

So you are voting me for being around at a certain time and not the other. My defense is I was around last night and busy before that

That’s weird because you’ve been typing nonstop in the scum chat

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Sandwolf posted:

not the most relieving response. I agree JX and Tokes responses are weird.

Why are they weird?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DGK2000 posted:

Why are they weird?

Tokes is weird because it seems like it’s trying to engage with the question while purposefully dodging any information be pulled from their response. The follow-up cagey response by having “information” was worse.

Jen X’s weird because it’s just a weird phrasing. The forced use of “our side” struck me particularly.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Sandwolf posted:

Tokes is weird because it seems like it’s trying to engage with the question while purposefully dodging any information be pulled from their response. The follow-up cagey response by having “information” was worse.

Jen X’s weird because it’s just a weird phrasing. The forced use of “our side” struck me particularly.

Thanks. I haven't played with Tokes in like, 8 years and I've never played with Jen. You explained your reasoning well imo.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

There it is, I’m Town, DGK signed off on it

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Sandwolf posted:

There it is, I’m Town, DGK signed off on it

Maybe a little too well :clint:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Maybe a little too well :clint:

Oh poo poo! The jig is up DGK! Scram!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I see the points about tokes bit as always wouldn't scum NOT try to be so cagey and difficult? What is tokes gaining from these exchanges as scum

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

C'mon, that's nonsense. I'm voting you for not having any content and instead of commenting on any of the existing content or providing your own, you were instead talking about the mechanics of the word puzzle.

It's not like my content game or all the hot hot responses were 15 pages back.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

DGK2000 posted:

The first player to publicly decode this message will receive a small boon

I still don’t know how people worked this out.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

I see the points about tokes bit as always wouldn't scum NOT try to be so cagey and difficult? What is tokes gaining from these exchanges as scum

The cagey response is a town tell. I agree. ##unvote; ##vote Jen X

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Token Female posted:

That’s not entirely reassuring

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Tokes do I need to stay on you or what

Slowly developing better day 1 reads (lol)

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

hambeet posted:

I still don’t know how people worked this out.

Simplest way to start is to go in assuming it’s a 1 for 1 encryption. The first word is 3 letters and one of the most common 3 letter words in the English language is “the” so that works for a start. Then you can take those 3 letters and fill them in through the rest of the cryptogram. Same with “a”. Then you keep going from there.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Token Female posted:

I know we're still technically in joke, but this is not an answer that spawns any real confidence

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

why Jen X then?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sandwolf posted:

why Jen X then?

Sandwolf posted:

uhhhh

##vote sandwolf

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

But merk wasn't responding to or quoting Sandwolf?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

This is just WIFOM isn't it?

merk posted:

The cagey response is a town tell. I agree.

Really? Seems pretty weak to make an alignment call based on it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jen X posted:

uhhhh

##vote sandwolf

This strikes me as opportunistic. sandwolf’s asking what makes a vote on you preferable, not what could cause it.

##vote Jen x for this and the odd post addressed elsewhere

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rather preferable given the stated line of reasoning

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Humalong posted:

gently caress around and find out.

wellity wellity wellity

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asiina posted:

So let's not waste this D1, even if it's extra long. It looks like Somber put a lot of work into this flavour, which is very cool, and so I don't want it to be a lurky game.

Open question for everyone because I haven't played in a while and honestly don't have meta reads on most of you: who are you hoping isn't scum this game and why?

I feel like it's probably merk for me because he can either be disengaged or really aggro as a player, as either alignment and both I have a really hard time reading, especially the latter, since I tend to have a lot of doubt in my own reads when someone pushes back on them.

Hal because he's played more games than anyone else and therefore is probably the best at being scum.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Is there gonna be a lot of these secret message things? I want a small boon too.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I got something small for you right here

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

t a s t e posted:

This strikes me as opportunistic. sandwolf’s asking what makes a vote on you preferable, not what could cause it.

##vote Jen x for this and the odd post addressed elsewhere

Your vote seems a bit opportunistic as well. I just think it's way too easy to pin a vote on Jen X there as a bad response (because it is) and vote her for it. Like, if she tried to dress it up and make it seem like some hidden OMGUS vote because of her pointing out what she thought was hypocrisy from Sand that's one thing, but I think she legitimately thinks Sand was hypocritical there even if I don't necessarily agree with it. (I'm also trying to branch away from voting people with OMGUS-y replies/votes in general because that led me astray last game.)

The "our side" phrasing from Jen is the worst thing about her posts but even then it's something I can see someone on either "side" saying.

##vote Tokes because I don't understand her tone as others have pointed out. At the very least she sounds like some ominous 3P.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jen X posted:

uhhhh

##vote sandwolf

people have made the other points but additionally, it felt like he was setting up a dichotomy of “either Jen X or Tokes” - which felt scummiest to me

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sandwolf posted:

people have made the other points but additionally, it felt like he was setting up a dichotomy of “either Jen X or Tokes” - which felt scummiest to me

I suppose it would be hypocritical to not give you the benefit of the doubt interpretation-wise, fine

##vote taste

"strikes me as opportunistic" is bullshit

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

merk posted:

##vote merk This is the same lazy as poo poo play he's had the last couple of his scum games and I'm not cool with it. He has enough to press people but is taking the lazy way out.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

merk posted:

---

JX has the scummiest content game answer. Buddying up to yuming in a weird way.

merk posted:

The biggest weakness of my town game is letting past games influence alignment reads of a current game. These aren't meta cases; they're just reactions to players I've played with before who I usually read as scummy (in this game: Sandwolf, DBD, Fisk). I really really really try to go into every game without any previous game bias, so this content game question is not a fun one for me.

merk posted:

Hello, I'm also starting this game late, but it won't me I lose right away hopefully.

In reverse order, these are his game posts. The most 'content' he has is talking about his town game in a weird way in regards to being asked who he hopes isn't scum. This is not a player who is town.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hal because he's played more games than anyone else and therefore is probably the best at being scum.

:laugh:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I still like my Hal vote and don't want to move it yet, although I wish other people would comment on whether they think it's anything.

I agree with taste and it is opportunistic and Jen's OMGUS on him is a bad reason for a vote, but I dunno this feels like real emotion right now? Jen's reason is a bad reason, but I don't know if it's a scummy reason.

I could probably get behind a merk vote.

Also if nothing else, would vote a lurker at deadline. Chic's having a rough weekend and may replace out, so I'd choose pera or yuming who only have 3 and 4 posts.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
@Asiina, it didn't bother me that Hal didn't participate in "content game" or rather, come in fashionably late with some post trying to force content for the hell of it if it felt past due to him. I don't think I would've responded at the point where he entered the thread either. I feel okay about him actually.

The only thing that intrigues me is this reply in regards to Tokes:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Why do it in the first place though? If there is no benefit as scum, what's the benefit of doing it as town? That's why I got a weird 3P vibe from it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jen X posted:

I suppose it would be hypocritical to not give you the benefit of the doubt interpretation-wise, fine

##vote taste

I mean, the alternative is you misinterpreted a simple and obvious post

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt your OMGus non withstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Jen X posted:

##vote taste

t a s t e posted:

I mean, the alternative is you misinterpreted a simple and obvious post

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt your OMGus non withstanding

Hm.

I didn't mind it with Sandwolf but Jen making back to back votes on two people that gave reasons on why she seemed scummy (whether you agree or not) is something to be noted, especially when you give no ~real~ reason as to why you vote each person who commented on you or voted you.

And by reason I mean, it's obvious you think their reasons are bullshit, I get it, but you vote them without context for anybody else but you. Are you implying that Sandwolf's posts/taste's posts are knowingly wrong/misguided from their pov and that means they're scum?