Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If you're a person above a certain age like me, your formative years music was probably full of the worst generic poo poo on the planet that would come pouring out of the radio circa 2004

naturally I'm talking about nu-metal which is just a garbage genre of trash that pretty much almost killed the entire subset of music

listen to this trash and I'm pretty sure KORN was the originator of this rear end genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's spelled KoЯn fuckface

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
It's "corn" you illiterate fuckwits.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Cubone posted:

it's spelled KoЯn fuckface

you're not wrong and i'm sorry its egregious but I stand on the fact it still sucks balls

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's "maize" you colonialist bastard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Well no poo poo. I thought it was garbage back then too (only thrash and NWOBHM for me, thanks) but I thought by now this is widely accepted to be the case.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

i dunno what to tell you mobby i just reminisced with a friend about just hanging out and driving around and listening to awful numetal on the radio cause his car only had a tape deck

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"nu-metal" isn't really a coherent genre and there's a lot of stuff that just gets kind of lumped into it because it was hard rock/metal being made in the late 90s

like Korn and Papa Roach and Drowning Pool etc are what typically gets defined as the genre, an attempt at fusing rap with metal, and... yeah, they're absolute loving garbage

but then you have industrial metal from that era like Static X, Spineshank, Orgy etc that just got called "nu metal" because everyone forgot NIN and Fear Factory existed, there's a bunch of kinda poo poo post-grunge like Staind and Godsmack, there's actual metal bands like Machine Head and Sepultura and Faith No More that get called nu metal because they influenced nu metal, and then you have stuff like Deftones and SOAD where it mostly just got called "nu metal" because nobody was really sure what the gently caress else to call it

and then there's a bunch of bands like Disturbed and Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin that just kinda do slightly-heavier-than-usual radio rock and nobody, including the bands, is really sure why the hell they got lumped into nu metal

e: like, I'll give you that any one of these bands sucks, but the "genre" is spread way the gently caress out quality-wise and isn't really one genre, so unless you basically just hate all radio-friendly buttrock it's kind of silly to dunk on as a whole

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

"nu-metal" isn't really a coherent genre and there's a lot of stuff that just gets kind of lumped into it because it was hard rock/metal being made in the late 90s

like Korn and Papa Roach and Drowning Pool etc are what typically gets defined as the genre, an attempt at fusing rap with metal, and... yeah, they're absolute loving garbage

but then you have industrial metal from that era like Static X, Spineshank, Orgy etc that just got called "nu metal" because everyone forgot NIN and Fear Factory existed, there's a bunch of kinda poo poo post-grunge like Staind and Godsmack, there's actual metal bands like Machine Head and Sepultura and Faith No More that get called nu metal because they influenced nu metal, and then you have stuff like Deftones and SOAD where it mostly just got called "nu metal" because nobody was really sure what the gently caress else to call it

and then there's a bunch of bands like Disturbed and Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin that just kinda do slightly-heavier-than-usual radio rock and nobody, including the bands, is really sure why the hell they got lumped into nu metal

e: like, I'll give you that any one of these bands sucks, but the "genre" is spread way the gently caress out quality-wise and isn't really one genre, so unless you basically just hate all radio-friendly buttrock it's kind of silly to dunk on as a whole

I do hate on all radio-friendly buttrock for sure. I am a huge fan of Sepultura though.

Godsmack blows, Staind is straight rear end. Orgy is bad and I don't remember STatic X or Spineshank. NIN is great and Korn through Drowning Pool are terrible

who was the awful awful band that did the song HEADSTRONG

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

mobby_6kl posted:

Well no poo poo. I thought it was garbage back then too (only thrash and NWOBHM for me, thanks) but I thought by now this is widely accepted to be the case.

seen from 2017, Korn’s Jonathan Davis seems like a pioneer who never got to reap the associated cultural capital. In the middle of the big, placid strip-mall of the late ’90s, Davis was often reduced to a caricature, ridiculed in the press for his “tantrums.” But revisiting a song like “Daddy”—a horrifyingly explicit account of molestation—is to hear someone about 20 years ahead of his time. Today, exploring messy traumas on record is accepted, even commonplace.

Davis would perform “Daddy” live in one long, escalating scream, turning himself inside out in front of stadium audiences, pounding his chest and hurling himself on the floor and entering the most primal, presocial part of trauma. He also embraced a gender fluidity that no other rap-rock act would dare get near. “I’ll kiss a dude,” he told Melody Maker in 1999.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I watched a movie last night that was basically a not good version of Midsommar and one of the deputy characters looked really familiar.
Fast forward to me 20 minutes later going "Oh wait... Holy poo poo. That's Fred Durst."
It's called Population 436.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm doing it.
I'm dunking on it as a whole.

lol every single one of the bands in this post loving sucked a fat long one. Hard.

I listened to garbage music growing up in the 90's and was so disappointed in the utter trash that the early 2000's turned into musically. What an absolute wasteland in general.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

acting like a freaj on a lesah feeling like I. Have no release

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

caleb posted:

I watched a movie last night that was basically a not good version of Midsommar and one of the deputy characters looked really familiar.
Fast forward to me 20 minutes later going "Oh wait... Holy poo poo. That's Fred Durst."
It's called Population 436.

Is that also the number of tickets they sold for it?

BOOM ROASTED OWNED FRED DURST HAHA

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

rolin rollin rolkin rolling what

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Not too long ago there was a ska thread...now there's a nu metal thread...hmmm. Goons seem to like talking about bad musical genres.

Alright I'm gonna do the next thread and its going to be about whatever genre Radiohead and Coldplay fall into.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

one thing
I don't know why?
It doesn't seem to have mattered.
How hard I tried.

Keep that in mind.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Not too long ago there was a ska thread...now there's a nu metal thread...hmmm. Goons seem to like talking about bad musical genres.

Alright I'm gonna do the next thread and its going to be about whatever genre Radiohead and Coldplay fall into.

The genre should be called "Trashcan" because that's the only thing they deserve to 'fall into'

Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Big Beef City posted:

The genre should be called "Trashcan" because that's the only thing they deserve to 'fall into'

Preach

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

craling in my skin

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Big Beef City posted:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Now I know y'all be lovin this poo poo right here
L
I
M
P
Biz kit is right here

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Deftones were good

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
sounds the same/better than all the normal metal that gets touted around as classics, in flames sounds worse than limp bizkit

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
this isnt a defense of nu metal either, metal is a worse genre than country

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Is that also the number of tickets they sold for it?

BOOM ROASTED OWNED FRED DURST HAHA

special

you think you're special, you do

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I saw Metallica, limp bizkit, and Deftones, think there were some others at jean-drapeau in Montreal think it was like 2002/03, was ok

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I like nu-metal. FNM, Orange 9mm, Soulfly, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Mudvayne, etc. are all good. Sure there's some crap, but overall it's good stuff. In fact, my biggest disappointment from Covid-19 is missing FNM/Korn/Helmet in September.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Beef City posted:

I'm doing it.
I'm dunking on it as a whole.

lol every single one of the bands in this post loving sucked a fat long one. Hard.

I listened to garbage music growing up in the 90's and was so disappointed in the utter trash that the early 2000's turned into musically. What an absolute wasteland in general.

only bands i'd go to bat for as Actually Great in that post are Deftones and Faith No More, to be fair (if you don't like either of those bands you suck)

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
The state of popular music of the early 2000s precludes me from ever living in a state of nostalgia, I am free to move always through the moment as it is

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

The state of popular music of the early 2000s precludes me from ever living in a state of nostalgia, I am free to move always through the moment as it is

the 2000s were like a 2nd 1960s for music dude they ruled

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

hakimashou posted:

the 2000s were like a 2nd 1960s for music dude they ruled

what a bad take

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
More like poo-metal

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuq-VAiW9kw

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Glenn Quebec posted:

what a bad take

maybe they sucked if you like metal or something but that poo poo sucks anyway

great pop music, phenomenal hip hop, indie rock, it was a good time for music

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
There is nothing worse than getting together with your friends in your thirties, getting hammered, and blasting all of the terrible music you all listened to back in the day.

Actually, that's a lie, it's fun as hell. Just push the shame down the next day and act like it never happened.

Aug 3, 2014

3 A.M. Radio posted:

There is nothing worse than getting together with your friends in your thirties, getting hammered, and blasting all of the terrible music you all listened to back in the day.

Actually, that's a lie, it's fun as hell. Just push the shame down the next day and act like it never happened.

I'm 29 so I've got a ways to go before my 30s but thanks for the tips on what to avoid lmao later grandpaaaa

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
It was followed by radio ready emo, watered down indie and now whatever the hell modern rock radio is, so I'm gonna go ahead and remember it as a much better era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Linkin Park has aged the best out of everything in that dumpster because they're the only one that summons powerful enough nostalgia that I've stopped hating them