Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I've talked to a few people about my round today and this was literally the only response I wanted. Thank you.

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Started today's round with three straight birdies, then proceeded to shoot 6 over par on the next 6 holes for a 39 on the front. Got it together on the back and shot even with one bogey and one birdie. Other than putting, I played as well today as yesterday but I think I missed four putts inside of 5 feet. Nobody else played well today though so 69-73 was good for a pretty wide margin of victory. Three time club champion!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Congrats dude. That's awesome.

We're still not allowed to have tournaments at my club since the city considers it to be a gathering.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There are no active cases in my part of the county so people have gotten pretty lax about precautions. Still no ball washers or bunker rakes on the course, but people are crowding in the clubhouse, sharing carts, etc. Really hoping we don't see a spike after this holiday weekend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1279561344447119367

Bryson (who is fat, OP) had an extremely normal one in Detroit

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Well gently caress him then. Us average golf players WANT to see the pros at their worst because it makes us feel like hey, these guys are normal.

Now I hope they follow his every shot and only show his misses because gently caress that fat piece of poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

He's always struck me as a fragile piss baby.

Probably going to win today too

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

In other embarrassing Bryson news.

https://twitter.com/BrendanPorath/status/1279512618961702912

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
God I love BDC

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bryson is worse than P Reed now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fukkn lol that shirt, oh my god

Anno
May 10, 2017

AndrewP posted:

Bryson is worse than P Reed now

Eh I wouldn't personally go that far. Bryson is definitely a villain, but it's for his eccentricities and golf, not because he's a weird cheater. Golf could use more oddities like Bryson.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

:colbert:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Cais posted:

...spin the crown on my watch to the right club...

what now

Anno
May 10, 2017

I just assume this is most of golf tbh. It's a hard sport in which to find many progressive voices.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a career best 86 today. No 7's 1 birdie, 4 pars, and a whole bunch of bogies.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

what now

Apple Watch I’m guessing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

daslog posted:

Shot a career best 86 today. No 7's 1 birdie, 4 pars, and a whole bunch of bogies.

Congrats! That’s awesome.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress he’s going to win too

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Why do they have to say "flatstick" now. I feel like I've only been hearing that term in the past year or year and a half? It feels so contrived. Standing on my front lawn with my fist raised yelling "JUST CALL IT A PUTTER!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it feels forced as hell

Anno
May 10, 2017

lmao what the hell is this trophy

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1279907357112381440

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
While DeChambeau can be a bit of an rear end, I like how he's challenging the status quo in golf and finding success with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wow, I'd tell the tournament to keep it, just give me the check.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the dumbass "O" in quicken loans' shady rear end rocket mortgage company

Shrapnig posted:

Wow, I'd tell the tournament to keep it, just give me the check.

christ, same

E: lol the more I look at it, the more it looks like Bryson's trying to hold it as far from him as he realistically can

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 6, 2020

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
It's the only suitable trophy for the 3-1-3 challenge

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hit golf balls for the first time in over 2 years. That's right, I hadn't even been to a golf store. There's no PGA Tour Superstores here in DC, just Dick's Sporting Goods. There's a Golf Galaxy 25 min away but I thought they went down the drain after DSG bought them. Have they gotten better? There are a couple tiny independent stores but there's also a place called Golfdom that seems like the size of an old Golfsmith which is pretty good.

Anyway, I think I finally found a decent public track to make my "home course" that's 25-30 min away without traffic, Laurel Hill Golf Club. 7010 yd, 74.1/145 on a par 71 which is really impressive. They have a large grass range and good short game practice facility. Putting green was running about 10 after a brief shower earlier in the day, which is a good sign. Greens fees are just okay, $54 after 2pm and $39 after 4pm on weekdays. It jumps up to $84/$49 on the weekend, but that weekday price is valid on Fridays which is nice.

I definitely need to build my speed back up, but I was carrying driver about 260 yd with range balls which isn't terrible. I had a giant draw on everything though. I want to play this week but I'm going to look like an rear end in a top hat if I shank it around from the tips.

This is disgusting.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I hit golf balls for the first time in over 2 years. That's right, I hadn't even been to a golf store. There's no PGA Tour Superstores here in DC, just Dick's Sporting Goods. There's a Golf Galaxy 25 min away but I thought they went down the drain after DSG bought them. Have they gotten better? There are a couple tiny independent stores but there's also a place called Golfdom that seems like the size of an old Golfsmith which is pretty good.

Anyway, I think I finally found a decent public track to make my "home course" that's 25-30 min away without traffic, Laurel Hill Golf Club. 7010 yd, 74.1/145 on a par 71 which is really impressive. They have a large grass range and good short game practice facility. Putting green was running about 10 after a brief shower earlier in the day, which is a good sign. Greens fees are just okay, $54 after 2pm and $39 after 4pm on weekdays. It jumps up to $84/$49 on the weekend, but that weekday price is valid on Fridays which is nice.

I definitely need to build my speed back up, but I was carrying driver about 260 yd with range balls which isn't terrible. I had a giant draw on everything though. I want to play this week but I'm going to look like an rear end in a top hat if I shank it around from the tips.

This is disgusting.

I honestly love your self deprecation about your game because your bad days are what a lot of us aspire to.

Other than Matt and Superflip, gently caress those guys.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I honestly love your self deprecation about your game because your bad days are what a lot of us aspire to.

Other than Matt and Superflip, gently caress those guys.

To put into perspective how bad the rest of us are this was a good drive from me earlier today:

Kirios fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 6, 2020

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

daslog posted:

Best score bro’s high five.

I feel like I’m never going to break through to the low 80’s, shooting 92,88,94,90. I’ve played 3 times in the last 5 days and I hope to keep that kind of pace. I’m going to do it this year damnit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore/status/1279942679799959555?s=19

heh

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I snuck out for 18 holes last night, I love this time of year in MN cause I can play until almost 930 and still have light.

Tre time was at 6:09, and it took 40 minutes to play the first two holes. But I had a cart so I hopped around and found the gap in groups due to a big rainstorm and was able to finish up just as it was getting too dark to see.

Overall, great round! Shot a 74, 8/14 fairways, 11/18 greens.

Highlight was the par 5 16th hole, which is like 510 yards or so, but has a 90 degree dogleg left. You can cut off the corner, but if you pull it left you are in the woods. Also has a bunker through the fairway that you will find if you don’t turn the ball over or cut the corner.

I found the bunker, but had a good lie and 205 yards to the pin. I picked it clean with my 5 iron, right at the pin. Ended up about 12 feet short of the hole. I of course missed the putt, but walked away with a tap in birdie. It’s been awhile since I’ve hit a shot so cleanly out of a fairway bunker, feels good man.

Of course, the question everyone is wondering, how did the new putter that I bought from mattfl work? Pretty great! 30 putts, lag putting was phenomenal, made a couple par/bogey saves in the 8-12 foot range, just felt right.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I snuck out for 18 holes last night, I love this time of year in MN cause I can play until almost 930 and still have light.

Tre time was at 6:09, and it took 40 minutes to play the first two holes. But I had a cart so I hopped around and found the gap in groups due to a big rainstorm and was able to finish up just as it was getting too dark to see.

Overall, great round! Shot a 74, 8/14 fairways, 11/18 greens.

Highlight was the par 5 16th hole, which is like 510 yards or so, but has a 90 degree dogleg left. You can cut off the corner, but if you pull it left you are in the woods. Also has a bunker through the fairway that you will find if you don’t turn the ball over or cut the corner.

I found the bunker, but had a good lie and 205 yards to the pin. I picked it clean with my 5 iron, right at the pin. Ended up about 12 feet short of the hole. I of course missed the putt, but walked away with a tap in birdie. It’s been awhile since I’ve hit a shot so cleanly out of a fairway bunker, feels good man.

Of course, the question everyone is wondering, how did the new putter that I bought from mattfl work? Pretty great! 30 putts, lag putting was phenomenal, made a couple par/bogey saves in the 8-12 foot range, just felt right.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you!

I'm hoping my new drive comes in this week. They said 2-3 week build time and this will be week 3.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Hey golf thread! I’m in my third serious year of golf, using clubs I inherited from my dad. They are sentimental, so not looking to upgrade all any time soon but I can’t get used to the putter. It’s a belly style, with a bit of weight behind it.

The problem is I don’t know what to replace it with. I tried out some putters at Golf Galaxy, both blade and mallet style. The guy wasn’t super interested in getting me fit, just sized me up and said to get a 35”.

I don’t like the way the ball comes off the putter, but I can’t tell if it’s because of my grip, swing, weight, or the insert. I can’t seem to find consistency. I know putting is individual, but any tips for a new player on what to look for? Here’s a shot of my bag:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Many avid golfers have multiple sets, so if you feel like getting new clubs, feel free to do so while hanging onto your dad’s oldies. Besides, it’s not like a golf bag takes up much space in the closet/garage/basement.

As for your putter search, there are technical reasons why a putter or mallet would fit your stroke better, but as you're still relatively new to the game, I wouldn't worry about that yet and just get something you like and you're comfortable with. I would at least do extensive testing in-store of a blade and a mallet. They look different, align differently depending on whether you're left or right eye dominant, and have different rates of face closure. Feel free to play around with length and weight as well.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 7, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

Pretty nuts.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1280327325310242817

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Tiger's 142 straight made cuts streak is his most impressive wtf stat I think.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just can’t like this Bryson dude. I admittedly don’t know a ton about him, but I’ve heard he’s a slow player and just oozes pretentiousness.

I do think it’s hilarious that he beefcake leveled up while golf was away and all of a sudden carried the ball like 340 yards. What a beast.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I do think it’s hilarious that he beefcake leveled up while golf was away and all of a sudden carried the ball like 340 yards. What a beast.

Never loved him but if he keeps breaking professional golf I'll come around on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29425201/source-ryder-cup-postponed-2021-presidents-cup-pushed-back

Ryder cup has been postponed a year