Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My group prefers using tabletop simulator. It’s so real, we even have superstitions about certain dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Agrikk posted:

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with roll20?

My long time gaming group are gathering once again after scattering to the four winds seven years ago, and we are going to be using roll20 and Discord. I've paid my $50 for an annual subscription (gently caress ads) but I'm trying to figure out my workflow for document management, background lore, lists of people met, etc.

Is there a method to store all of this within a game, or should I just plan on google docs to store stuff?
I just use the free version because waiting 15 seconds to get to the actual game doesn't bother me, and I have an ad blocker.

You can add character sheets if someone has made one for the game you're playing (I think there's a paid tier where you can make/upload your own but I don't know which one), but you have to assign that sheet to that player. You can make handouts too, using both text and/or images. These are both on the third tab in the game. You can also group things by folders. The fifth tab from the left contains decks (default is playing cards) and tables that you want to roll on. You have to enter each entry on the table one at a time. Everything is GM-locked by default, so if you want a given player to be able to control the token representing their PC, you have to give them control. You also have to give them control of their sheet, manually allow each table to be rollable by players, etc.

All in all it is decidedly Okay™ at being a VTT. There's a lot of weird borderline-obnoxious quirks in it, but all the VTTs have those. If you want, you can PM me with specific questions and I'll answer them as best I can. I've been using it for 7 years now so I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Preechr posted:

My group prefers using tabletop simulator. It’s so real, we even have superstitions about certain dice.

That black d10 is marvellous, even if it is just the same stock one as the red.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Agrikk posted:

My long time gaming group are gathering once again after scattering to the four winds seven years ago, and we are going to be using roll20 and Discord. I've paid my $50 for an annual subscription (gently caress ads) but I'm trying to figure out my workflow for document management, background lore, lists of people met, etc.

Is there a method to store all of this within a game, or should I just plan on google docs to store stuff?

Not worth paying a dime for, but it works okay if you're forced to use it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

My TRPG players are adorable idiots, they've never played before and are just breaking from thinking it's a video game.

DM (me) - hands them a page covered in numbers formatted |34,10,7|
Ranger - "This looks like a book cypher..." (I was impressed with this)
Rogue - "What was in that satchel the witch asked us to deliver?"
Ranger - "Just a boring book on horse laws and a bronze token with a symbol on it"
Rogue - "Oh well we'll figure it out eventually I guess"

Then they got thrown out of 3 different places for specifically asking for help finding a witch when they knew this town is somewhat anti magic

Before they got in to the city I explained that there was a shady tent/shanty town outside the walls and even from the road it looked sketchy as gently caress
First grifter to ask them to go in his tent and have chat about selling some loot they were carrying (a small crate of silks) they were just like "yeah sure, we need to sell this anyway"
They got jumped...

They get in the city and go to an inn, they ask about the witch they're looking for and the wizard face man fails his CHR check so I cut them some slack and have the barmaid explain that talking about this is bad poo poo and even if she did know she wouldn't tell them.

I tell them the silks were stolen from a shipment headed to this city and the stamp on the crate matches a clothier on the main strip, they have the idea to trade the cloth for info on the witch.
They then utterly piss the clothier off by not only straight demanding the info but also demanding money for returning the cloth too.
He throws them out and the gnome rogue has to go back when he's cooled off and solo do the deal because the clothier now hates our Cleric.
They get info on the inn the witch hangs out in and get a description of her after a lot of grovelling and apologising.
what do they do?

go straight to that fuckin inn, walk up to the barman and go "Yo, you seen this witch that hangs out here, she looks like this...."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Speaking of adorable idiots, what is the line between leading your players by the nose and reminding them of obvious poo poo? Because it's one thing to not tell the Ordo Xenos about the myths of "Sky eggs" of the local tribesmen and another to forget that a shrouded vessel shot your lighter down. I mean I am not a fast GM and this was two weeks ago but I need to know what calls for an Intelligence roll and what calls for just telling them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kavak posted:

Speaking of adorable idiots, what is the line between leading your players by the nose and reminding them of obvious poo poo? Because it's one thing to not tell the Ordo Xenos about the myths of "Sky eggs" of the local tribesmen and another to forget that a shrouded vessel shot your lighter down. I mean I am not a fast GM and this was two weeks ago but I need to know what calls for an Intelligence roll and what calls for just telling them.

for thing in previous sessions, ask for an int roll and whatever they roll succeeds

unless it would be really funny for them not to remember and they get a nat 1, in which case 'you totally don't remember that shrouded fighter'

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was DMing a game in Roll20 and removed juuust a little too much fog of war, revealing a bit of hallway behind a hidden door. Of course the players suddenly became very interested in investigating this wall.

They roll their perception checks.
6, 8, 8, 9.

Nope, nothing weird here! No you can't investigate the wall again, you're really quite sure that it's a normal wall! Never seen them so frustrated.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

HellCopter posted:

I was DMing a game in Roll20 and removed juuust a little too much fog of war, revealing a bit of hallway behind a hidden door. Of course the players suddenly became very interested in investigating this wall.

6, 8, 8, 9.

Nope, nothing weird here! No you can't investigate the wall again, you're really quite sure that it's a normal wall! Never seen them so frustrated.

That’s what they get for trying to metagame. In our rogue trader group, only the ork managed to succeed a forbidden lore check to recognize the tyrannids we just fought, and his knowledge of them is in an extremely orky context. The players all know that the stasis tubes we recovered have rippers in them. Since our characters don’t, we are going to do the logical thing and sell them to a slave trader so we can restaff our miserable clusterfuck of a colony after the dark eldar depopulated it largely consensual promethium refinery following a mysterious manpower shortage.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Always remind them of obvious poo poo. Your players have a week of lives and jobs and not being ground into a paste by hellworld in between sessions, they can be forgiven for forgetting plot from elfgames.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HellCopter posted:

6, 8, 8, 9.

I would have let them find it. Why have a secret door on a map if not for the characters to find? Unless bad guys were supposed to come out of that secret door later on and zap the characters. As a DM I've made plenty of goofs, and if they favor the players I let 'em stand. Everyone gets a laugh and morale goes up because fate broke in their favor.

I had a GM once who set up this incredible mystical setting, drawing up maps and encounters and nifty magic items. But we rolled lovely and only found maybe a tenth of the mysteries within and I remember coming away feeling a bit odd about the place. Months later the GM said, "Yeah you missed the bulk of the place because you couldn't spot the secret doors." I remember being dumbstruck about how all of his preparation, all of his beautiful maps, all of his wondrous secrets, all of his exotic encounters going to waste, because of ~missed dice rolls~.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If it's something the players should find, give them the means to find it.

If it's a helpful shortcut to a later part of the dungeon and they don't find it early, have the exit be open in the other room so at least they can say "Oh, so that's where that goes, at least we've got a faster way out if the boss turns out to be load bearing!" ... And then make the boss load bearing so they've got an excuse to use the secret passage they found to escape the dungeon with time to spare grab a little extra loot.

If it's a treasure room, make sure the boss's chief lieutenant has a map pointing out the secret door's location and the convoluted steps necessary to open it hidden in his journal of secret plans to loot the boss's secret treasure room of all the boss's ill-gotten loot before he tries to usurp control of the evil horde for himself. Except he's gotten one step wrong and he knows it but he can't remember whether turning the candlestick to the left opens the door or sets off the spike trap in the candlestick, and that's the only reason he hadn't acted yet...

If it's something you don't want the players to find, like a secret treasure room in the CR2 Kobold Cave with a +5 vorpal nuclear missile, just... don't put it on the map at all. :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Secret doors and dungeon traps are for a different style of play than most current dungeoncrawling

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It was a "secret door for lore reasons" to a room that they found the regular entrance to twenty minutes later (and succeeded on the rolls to see it from that side), no biggie.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HellCopter posted:

It was a "secret door for lore reasons"

Okay, now I'm curious. :justpost:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Whybird posted:

Always remind them of obvious poo poo. Your players have a week of lives and jobs and not being ground into a paste by hellworld in between sessions, they can be forgiven for forgetting plot from elfgames.

Yup. I do a brief recap of the last session to begin with but if later there are things that the players have clearly forgotten about that their characters certainly would not have I'll give them a reminder. Of course, in an ideal world they'd all be taking detailed notes but oh well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Aleth posted:

Of course, in an ideal world they'd all be taking detailed notes but oh well.

My first real games (WoD Flash chat client but still) I kept character journals for all my PCs even of petty banal roleplaying stuff.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I would have let them find it. Why have a secret door on a map if not for the characters to find? Unless bad guys were supposed to come out of that secret door later on and zap the characters. As a DM I've made plenty of goofs, and if they favor the players I let 'em stand. Everyone gets a laugh and morale goes up because fate broke in their favor.

My favourite ever OOC goof, which ended up being treated as an IC mistake, happened in a Hunter game. One of the players was running a secret traitor kind of character, sent to infiltrate the party by a foe. At one point the player sent the GM a secret note by text message, informing him what the next step in his treacherous plan was. Only, he didn't actually send it to the GM, he accidentally sent it to one of the other players, who was playing the party's muscle. With the whole "secret traitor" thing now revealed, the GM ruled that the character had actually sent an incriminating text to the wrong person and blown his own cover. He didn't last very long after that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HellCopter posted:

It was a "secret door for lore reasons" to a room that they found the regular entrance to twenty minutes later (and succeeded on the rolls to see it from that side), no biggie.

Ok, well, now it's obvious why you couldn't just let them in.

One does not simply walk into Lore Door.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Phy posted:

One does not simply walk into Lore Door.

:perfect:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Deleted this post for a subsequent update.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 26, 2020

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my GM, I am not longer allowed to try to combine the best aspects of automatic weapons and manual transmissions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

CobiWann posted:

According to my GM, I am not longer allowed to try to combine the best aspects of automatic weapons and manual transmissions.

:thunk:
I'm not even sure how that would work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

V8-powered minigun with the ROF selected by a six-speed? Reverse gear may not be fully functional

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Zorak of Michigan posted:

V8-powered minigun with the ROF selected by a six-speed? Reverse gear may not be fully functional

It's obviously just an excuse to be able to shout "this minigun is clutch!" at the gaming table

Also obviously a minigun would use a rotary instead of a V8 :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CobiWann posted:

If it doesn't involve a general plane motion calc, are you really making the most of your crafting skills?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

NumptyScrub posted:

Also obviously a minigun would use a rotary instead of a V8 :v:

Look, that is obviously a better joke than the one I made, and no amount of posturing on my part can change that. On the other hand, the holy v8 is an end of itself. I think the extra rumble of a crossplane crank would also add a nice undertone to the torrent of gunfire.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

On the other hand, the holy v8 is an end of itself.

This but

Nothing. Nothing can improve upon the artistry, the beauty, the joy in aluminum form, that is the V8.

A bolt on minigun is close, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

:thunk:
I'm not even sure how that would work.

You laugh, but the original prototype Maxim gun had a throttle for controlling how fast the gun fired. This also meant it didn't have a trigger because it would just keep shooting until it was out of ammo or you set it to 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6uguv3Dxs

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

chitoryu12 posted:

You laugh, but the original prototype Maxim gun had a throttle for controlling how fast the gun fired. This also meant it didn't have a trigger because it would just keep shooting until it was out of ammo or you set it to 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6uguv3Dxs

Now that I can readily admit that I didn't actually know. Haven't exactly really gone through all of the FW videos available. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was inspired to eventually work on a steampunk mech combat setting and it's been fun figuring out how to integrate Victorian weapon technology into it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I was inspired to eventually work on a steampunk mech combat setting and it's been fun figuring out how to integrate Victorian weapon technology into it.

Giant needlefire rifles with paper cartridges the size of a model T

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gigantic percussion cap revolvers, with caps the size of a dinner plate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's post-cartridge development, but I've thought of poo poo like the French using the mitrailleuse as their arm-mounted machine gun platform with a clockwork system for automatically replacing empty cartridge plates, while the Americans use Gatling guns and the British have Hotchkiss 37mm revolving cannons and Maxims. Or Hale and Congreve rocket launcher gauntlets.

The Koreans get a hwacha.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
punt gun punt gun punt gun

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, a how-to-guide on Lambada does not count as a tome of eldritch lore.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Try square dancing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, a how-to-guide on Lambada does not count as a tome of eldritch lore.

But, it’s the forbidden dance, how does a book on it not count as a source of lore beyond the ken of normal man?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I've been running a homebrew of old 7th Sea that a buddy and I wrote a few years back, way before the actual second edition came out. We had a fun case of something on a player's character sheet lying in wait and emerging at the most dramatic/hilarious time.

The campaign's main plot is two-fold. The party is in competition with an evil merchant prince to acquire all the pieces to an ancient relic that turns out to be an airship. It's basically a race to see who can get this piece of tech and spring it on a 1668 world in which it could wreak havoc. The other, increasingly related plot involves a long-lost heir to the Castillian (Spanish) throne. The current king is a boy who is badly over-matched by the Montaigne (French) invaders in his country. The party has found this lost woman who has a claim to the throne over the boy king, and is a powerful practitioner of the supposedly extinct Castillian fire sorcery (and a sign of her ancient royal lineage).

So after a dozen or so sessions, the party has finally assembled all the necessary pieces and beat the merchant prince to the airship. They find it guarded by a sleeping dragon. Dragons are supposed to be extinct, and were driven extinct by the same efforts that made the Castillian fire mages all but extinct. The dragon wakes up, as the fire mage in the group has dragon blood in her veins and he wants to speak to her after eons of fitful sleep. She being an NPC/walking macguffin, I set her and the dragon aside as they begin a tense negotiation, because the party has to go deal with the merchant prince's minions who have just showed up. I contrive write a scenario in which each PC has to face one member of the merchant prince's team. This is happening during the airship's startup sequence, so the stakes are everything, at least up to this point.

So the party goes to rounds in their respective duels up on/around the airship, while the would-be queen speaks to the dragon on a platform below where the ship is hanging.

Here's the thing: I had to run one player's duel in a separate session due to a schedule conflict. So I did his earlier in the week, and knew its results as the rest of the duels kicked off during the regular session later in the week. In the regular session, the players did a great job. Those who had decent (randomized) matchups gritted their way through their duels. Those who had bad matchups found clever, resourceful ways to trick or cajole the opponents out of combat. It was a good session all around, and a couple characters even had some development alongside the bad guys.

But back to the first PC, the one who did his duel earlier in the week. His character is the one most interested in the airship, and most equipped to learn to pilot it. So he's at the helm as the duels begin. He gets into a jam with his duel, so when his turn comes up one last time as he's on the edge of incapacitation, I ask him what is his action.

"I look up, away from the enemy, and say, 'I could really use some help, Old Friend.' "

I had honestly forgotten about this thing on his character sheet. At character creation, he and I discussed an advantage his character has called Sidhe Ally. The Sidhe are powerful fae, bizarre and inscrutable. It's understood in the rules that a Sidhe Ally can be powerful, but costly and unpredictable. The player mentioned then that his character helped a strange hunter in the woods one time, and had earned a life boon. He knows this "person" only as "My Old Friend." Think like the fable of the mouse and the lion, but here the mouse is a human and the lion is a gatdamn alien.

The pull stunned me. I had honestly forgotten about it, as it had been several months since we discussed it. I had it in my notes, but... :shrug:

But here's the thing: it was perfect for the drama of the scene, totally by accident. Better yet, the player had no idea about why, as he is brand new to 7th Sea and its lore. He did not anticipate what came next. He just wanted to get out of his duel alive.

The Old Friend shows up, gliding down into the mouth of this volcano atop an eerily-glowing, enormous antelope. The rider is androgynous and regal as gently caress. They are dressed and equipped for a hunt. As a horn blares from.... somewhere?, the Old Friend fires an arrow at the PCs foe. That duel was just about over, as both of them were close to incapacitation, so it felt fair to give the player the duel at that point. So the Old Friend's arrow strikes the baddie and literally puts her to sleep. Like Sleeping Beauty. She slowly sinks to rest atop a bed of flowers that spontaneously generate under her. So that's that.

The Old Friend and the PC have a short dialogue before the Old Fiend notices the dragon on the platform below them.

The Old Friend's sonorous voice changes suddenly into a jarring, discordant cacophony of five voices at once. And they say,

"What is the meaning of this? What say you of this dragon here in your realm?"

The character and the player both blithely explain that their friend is negotiating with the dragon right now. Neither of them know that the Sidhe absolutely hate the dragons and will kill them on sight.

"Tally ho then, my boy," the Old Friend says in their normal voice. Then switches again to say, "The hunt is on." With that, they leap their alien antelope thing off the ledge and onto the lower platform. poo poo immediately goes bananas down there, and the tense negotiation of the fire mage ends abruptly and violently.

Now: fast forward a few days to the other players' duels. They all do their thing, win the day and all that. Good stuff. As I conclude the last combat and we go back into a more dramatic mode, one player says in character,

"Alright. The ship is operational. As long as Aodhan stood his ground at the helm and that dragon isn't freaking out, we should be alright."

They emerged from their rooms to see a cone of flame seemingly incinerate the NPC macguffin they had been protecting for eight sessions. (As a fire mage, she is immune to fire, but in the moment most of them forgot this both in and out of character). Then the dragon took wing to pursue them in their airship, which they scarcely know how to pilot.

At least they'll have a powerful alien flying around as their wingman. They're going to need it. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Agrikk posted:

A bit late, but I wanted to put in my two cents.

Started playing as a player earlier this year in a paid D&D module and thereafter running as a DM in another one once the pandemic hit. It's relatively easy to drop in & get started this way; but you might need to rely upon Zoom, Discord or something else because the video chat is not great. There are a lot of tools & you will need to play around with it to figure out how to make it do what you want, but even then it is sometimes buggy.

With a paid module the maps, tokens, handouts, etc. being there for you are an enormous time saver to creating your own on spec. I say this being in the process of working up another campaign world up on spec. Roll20 charges for almost everything, and it is easy to feel nickel & dimed. You can find free resources out there & there are some excellent tabletop artists out there that you can support if you like (for instance check out neutral party- https://neutralpartymaps.tumblr.com/ or two minute tabletop- https://2minutetabletop.com/ ).

Best case is it is a pleasant, if mildly annoying, alternative to in-person play with some useful & fun added functionality at a time where people really need a break, socialization & levity.

Worst case is it is a slightly too expensive debacle where you will spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to rotate a tile using an out-dated wiki article for the map you're building.