Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I think Dion is way better than Meyers. I got Meyers course for my A+ and felt unprepared when I started the practice tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I take my AWS CSA Associate on the 16th, time to take some practice exams and figure out where specifically I have no idea what I'm doing.

My job doesn't have an open position in the cloud team that I would fit in, but they are hiring for a more senior position so maybe if I get this cert they will promote one of their current guys to that one and I can get into his old spot.

Or if they say "maybe once the economy recovers" or "we don't have a position right now but here's some work you can do to see what it will be like," well, I'm working remotely so they have no way of knowing my personal computer will be on Indeed and Dice all day long.

Best thing for me studying for that exam was to do some real world labs. Use S3 to make a personal backup space for you. Use EC2 to launch a website and learn about VPCs, etc. Good luck!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I’m looking into getting a few certs to start going into Data Security (namely A+ and Security+ to start). Does anyone have a recommendation for the book for Security+? The link in OP goes to a dead amazon page.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I’m looking into getting a few certs to start going into Data Security (namely A+ and Security+ to start). Does anyone have a recommendation for the book for Security+? The link in OP goes to a dead amazon page.

I took the Sec+ 2 years ago. I used Darrel Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead book. He has a kindle edition for :10bux:
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Get-Certified-Ahead/dp/1939136059/

Good book, but what I found most helpful were the study guides and practice quizzes. Gibson has a package on his website for an extra $40 or so but the practice quizzes were very close to what the real exam had and, for me, would be highly recommended.
https://getcertifiedgetahead.com/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Just passed the Security+ exam. I felt cheated because there were no questions about war-chalking, war-driving, bluejacking, or even bluesnarfing.

For studying, I used three sources:
This book https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-SY0-501-Guide-Certification/dp/0789758997
Pluralsight- Christopher Rees' video series
LinkedIn Learning- Mike Chappel's video series.

Of the three, and from knowing most of the material already, I found Make Chappel's videos to be the most helpful for exam prep. The videos were structured in a way that was easy to pick up on key exam bits and used easy to follow diagrams to break down some of the more complicated concepts.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

Just passed the Security+ exam.

Congrats! :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microsoft Azure Free Virtual training + Exam Voucher

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trainingdays

quote:

These 1 and 2 day virtual events will give you the opportunity to expand your skillset and connect with Microsoft experts. Save your seat at an upcoming event in Microsoft Azure, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Dynamics 365, or Microsoft Power Platform. Find out how Microsoft is your trusted partner in envisioning the future—and watch your organization transform.

Join us for Microsoft Azure Training Day: Fundamentals to improve your understanding of cloud concepts and acquire the knowledge you need to earn the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification. Learn basic strategies for transitioning to the cloud along with concepts including security, high availability, scalability, elasticity, agility, fault tolerance, and disaster recovery.

Attendees will receive free vouchers to take the AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification exam via email 5-7 business days post event based on attendance of entire event.

This is a 6 hour training split across two, 3-hour sessions. I'm not 100% sure but I read that the session will also be available after the fact if you can't make it live.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 10, 2020

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

FCKGW posted:

Registered! Thanks for the heads up :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FCKGW posted:

This is a 6 hour training split across two, 3-hour sessions. I'm not 100% sure but I read that the session will also be available after the fact if you can't make it live.

Oh, hey! Thanks for that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, 3 hours 40 minutes until I either get my AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate cert or have to take it again on my own dime. I'm hoping for the first one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, 3 hours 40 minutes until I either get my AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate cert or have to take it again on my own dime. I'm hoping for the first one.

Good luck, you can do this!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have to say, 130 minutes is generous. Within 30 seconds to a minute you should have an answer, right or wrong.

I apparently got most of them right, because I passed.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Congrats!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have to say, 130 minutes is generous. Within 30 seconds to a minute you should have an answer, right or wrong.

I apparently got most of them right, because I passed.

Congratulations! Going for the SysOps Associate as well?

I had the same feeling with regards to the length of the exam.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might, if you've taken both what would you say is the main difference in focus between the two? Looking at job postings it seems like I need to learn more about the IaC stuff (and also finally learn more Python than a hello world) for most cloud positions.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might, if you've taken both what would you say is the main difference in focus between the two? Looking at job postings it seems like I need to learn more about the IaC stuff (and also finally learn more Python than a hello world) for most cloud positions.

I wanted to do SysOps straight after but ex employer organized a group SAFe course I did first and am now doing CKAD before the voucher expires.

Going for SysOps in the fall. I overprepped for the Solution Architect and did the A Cloud Guru SysOps course as well. From what I saw so far it’s less wide and goes a bit deeper on some subjects than SAA. For SysOps it seems to focus mostly on Networking, EC2, S3, RDS, Cloudwatch and IAM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I feel like those are kind of where I'm already strongest and I'm missing the automation parts so I think I might go for the Developer associate before SysOps. I've got an AS in computer science and can more or less program my way out of a wet paper bag, but I feel like that's definitely my weak spot right now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Right now my plan through end of 2021 is to finish my Net+ in the next 45 days. Immediately jump into Sec+. There's a new Sec+ announced and I'd like to get mine before the new version is the only one offered. After that I'm considering the following: Linux+, CySA+, and Pentest+

How would you all rate those final three? I know eventually I need to shift from CompTIA, but I'm also still at an MSP so it's hard to find what I really enjoy since my exposure is limited to low level work. I'm planning on installing Ubuntu this week to get a feel for Linux. I see many many jobs at least mentioning it, if not requiring exposure so I may as well get it installed and at least getting my feet wet.

I'm also considering picking up python as a side project to learn more between sec+ and the next cert after that. It's more to supplement my learning as I'm not sure if I'll enjoy programming. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Right now I'm slightly leaning away from believing that I'll enjoy it based on what I can infer from it.

It's a very daunting career switch I'm in the middle of and I'm trying to make the most of my pandemic learning as I approach the end of my first year at an MSP. Once the holidays are over I'll be at the 15-16 month mark and I hope to be in something different by then.

Whelp network Chuck had a video that I just found that basically lined up with my first 4 certs so it seems to reinforce my plan.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 20, 2020

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'd recommend holding off on the CySA+ and Pentest+ certs until you figure out where you want to go career-wise. Linux+ would be a good way to get into Linux in a structured way and force you to get comfortable with a command-line interface.

If you want to make yourself more marketable to get away from the MSP, you could look into picking up an entry-level Cloud certificate (AWS, Azure).

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm already hammering job apps. I'm at 9 months in the MSP role and I'm itching to get out. I want to start to get more hands on with technology. Its gonna be finish up Net+, do sec+, Linux+. That's the 6 month plan. I could prob do net+ in the next 2-3 weeks depending on what other poo poo life throws at me after this week. I'm finishing up Dion's course on udemy tomorrow, and I'm gonna start practice testing and filling in the blanks with Messer. I don't want to delay much after I get it before I head into Sec+. Ive heard numerous times there's a lot of overlap so I'd like to capitalize on it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I can confirm that there is a good amount of networking stuff in the Sec+ exam. Even had a subnetting question to make you doubt yourself.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you’re serious about linux I’d go straight for RHCSA and skip Linux+ unless it’s a requirement for a job. I think Sec+ is a requirement for DoD? Alternative is LPIC but both are in higher regard than Linux+. And if you want to take the Linux route you’ll do either (or both) later anyways, making Linux+ a waste of time/money.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I hear that. One thing about that is on the network Chuck video I watched someone asked a very similar question about that, something like "isn't lpic better to get than Linux+" and he sort of agreed and disagreed and what it came down to was searching for job using both and LPIC just wasn't on job requirements nearly as often as Linux+ in his area, the Dallas area. I just did a search in my area for LPIC and had one result come up in a major east coast city. I'm sure it's a more comprehensive exam and forces you to know more about the OS. In the next 6-7 months I just want to build a solid base from which to expand upon rather than going too deep with one thing. Plus wouldn't Linux+ at least teach enough that it would make jumping into rhcsa or LPIC easier to come up to speed on?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 20, 2020

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Is anyone still going after any MCSA certs since it got extended to next year?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've decided I'm going to get certified in all 3 Cloud providers. It's a good start to doing other stuff I'm interested in. I currently can't afford CloudGuru\PluralSight, is there some recommended YouTube channels for learning?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zotix posted:

I hear that. One thing about that is on the network Chuck video I watched someone asked a very similar question about that, something like "isn't lpic better to get than Linux+" and he sort of agreed and disagreed and what it came down to was searching for job using both and LPIC just wasn't on job requirements nearly as often as Linux+ in his area, the Dallas area. I just did a search in my area for LPIC and had one result come up in a major east coast city. I'm sure it's a more comprehensive exam and forces you to know more about the OS. In the next 6-7 months I just want to build a solid base from which to expand upon rather than going too deep with one thing. Plus wouldn't Linux+ at least teach enough that it would make jumping into rhcsa or LPIC easier to come up to speed on?

I can’t speak for Linux+ as I’ve only studied for LPIC/RHCSA exams. I live in Europe and (at least in my country) Linux+ just isn’t a thing. I’ve never seen it listed on any job requirement ever. It’s sometimes LPIC but mostly RHCSA.

Learning about a topic will always make a next step into it easier. If it’s listed on job ads and you prefer to test the waters a bit before choosing which route you want to take, by all means go for it. If you kinda know you’re going to go deeper into Linux, take the 6 months to study for RHCSA. It’ll be the difference between landing a heldesk position or a junior linux admin job.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e. nvm, link expired

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I can’t speak for Linux+ as I’ve only studied for LPIC/RHCSA exams. I live in Europe and (at least in my country) Linux+ just isn’t a thing. I’ve never seen it listed on any job requirement ever. It’s sometimes LPIC but mostly RHCSA.

Learning about a topic will always make a next step into it easier. If it’s listed on job ads and you prefer to test the waters a bit before choosing which route you want to take, by all means go for it. If you kinda know you’re going to go deeper into Linux, take the 6 months to study for RHCSA. It’ll be the difference between landing a heldesk position or a junior linux admin job.

That's the thing. I've posted in the career questions thread over the past week. I'm at an MSP. I've been there 9 months. I really don't know which direction I want to go next due to not having a ton of access to deeper technologies. I just know I want out of the bottom of entry level asap. I want to start getting more hands on so I can really find my passion in IT. As I said I'm getting the CompTIA trifecta first as it should give me a nice baseline. I'm just hesitant to devote 6 months of study to something to find out down the line I may not want to keep with that. Linux is so popular that I'm going to need to know it at some level though.

EternalNysa
Sep 9, 2017
I just took my CYSA+ (passed). Knowing your way around a Linux terminal will help. Ideally you'll probably benefit from taking Security+ -> CySA+ (blue teaming with some red team introduction concepts) -> Pentest+ (red team) in that order.

Picking up Python would be a great tool as would some Powershell for Windows systems. Jobs you'd land from both Cysa+ and Pentest+ would benefit from writing your own scripts. Python 3 (Don't start on 2 -- it's dead for support. Go to 3.x) is a pretty easy scripting language to pick up over all with a ton of libraries.

Zotix posted:

Right now my plan through end of 2021 is to finish my Net+ in the next 45 days. Immediately jump into Sec+. There's a new Sec+ announced and I'd like to get mine before the new version is the only one offered. After that I'm considering the following: Linux+, CySA+, and Pentest+

How would you all rate those final three? I know eventually I need to shift from CompTIA, but I'm also still at an MSP so it's hard to find what I really enjoy since my exposure is limited to low level work. I'm planning on installing Ubuntu this week to get a feel for Linux. I see many many jobs at least mentioning it, if not requiring exposure so I may as well get it installed and at least getting my feet wet.

I'm also considering picking up python as a side project to learn more between sec+ and the next cert after that. It's more to supplement my learning as I'm not sure if I'll enjoy programming. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Right now I'm slightly leaning away from believing that I'll enjoy it based on what I can infer from it.

It's a very daunting career switch I'm in the middle of and I'm trying to make the most of my pandemic learning as I approach the end of my first year at an MSP. Once the holidays are over I'll be at the 15-16 month mark and I hope to be in something different by then.

Whelp network Chuck had a video that I just found that basically lined up with my first 4 certs so it seems to reinforce my plan.

EternalNysa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just did the Certified Rancher Operator: Level One course.

It’s a free course with exam/cert you can take online without a proctor. I don’t really care as I wanted to get a bit more familair with Rancher and the course material is really nice.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LochNessMonster posted:

Just did the Certified Rancher Operator: Level One course.

It’s a free course with exam/cert you can take online without a proctor. I don’t really care as I wanted to get a bit more familair with Rancher and the course material is really nice.

Wow, they are taking this cattle terminology all the way aren't they?

More on topic, anyone have any experience with the palo alto certification track? My new job is like 60% palo alto firewalls and I think it's a good time to pivot my career from traditional networks into security anyway

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Sprechensiesexy posted:

More on topic, anyone have any experience with the palo alto certification track? My new job is like 60% palo alto firewalls and I think it's a good time to pivot my career from traditional networks into security anyway

Just passed the PCNSE. The first exam in the chain they have is not worth it. PCNSA is pretty easy and you can pass it with some administration experience and a bunch of high-level knowledge of the Palo platforms. PCNSE is all nuts-and-bolts with complicated configuration questions, you have to know your firewalls and panorama. Their digital center has good up-to-date courses, you should definitely watch 110 (firewalls), 114 (advanced features) and 120 (Panorama) and then request the labs to dig around in them.

Some Palo engineers are also hosting a PCNSE bootcamp and uploading one video per-week. They are not in-depth, more like an overview but give some interesting insights into some features and the exam: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmLLiVYaHYie29AT-hb48lA

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Our Palo Alto SE did 6 study sessions/presentations and they were helpful. I used the latest PCNSE study guide and was able to take the exam remotely. I have 3 years experience intermittently messing around with them. Also just got my NNP-SDDC because I somehow made it a work goal.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I need to renew mine. I work on them pretty extensively so hoping I don’t need to do too much review. I haven’t used 9.1 much, so hopefully there won’t be too much material about it on there. I don’t know if it’s been updated, but the learning portal had a nice prep course when I took it two years ago. Wasn’t intended to be comprehensive but a nice review before taking it. One of the videos went over some examples of likely questions, some of which were pretty much word for word what was on my exam.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Are the Udemy courses good enough to get most of the way at least in starter certs for stuff like Google Cloud, AWS? I know MS has their own learning for Azure. I can't really afford the monthly of CloudGuru right now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Irritated Goat posted:

Are the Udemy courses good enough to get most of the way at least in starter certs for stuff like Google Cloud, AWS? I know MS has their own learning for Azure. I can't really afford the monthly of CloudGuru right now.

Stephane Maarek on Udemy has excellent AWS content and there's tons of other good reviews besides mine - I give him tons of credit for confidently passing AWS SA Associate and I plan to take his other courses as I go through the other certs

You can probably find it on sale too, I think I paid about 30 something for the associate level courses

air- fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 30, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I used the ACloudGuru course on Udemy to get my AWS SA cert. Worked well enough for me.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I used the ACloudGuru course on Udemy to get my AWS SA cert. Worked well enough for me.

This is enough to pass the exam. Do practice labs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seconded from personal experience.