Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Noted, I'll switch out noscript for umatrix(I'm already using ublock). Thanks guys.
You can use uBlock Origin to block javascript too; quoting myself from another thread:

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you enable advanced user functionality in ublock origin, you can enable dynamic filtering which lets you have noscript-like functionality, and if you then set the "Relax blocking mode" to ctrl+alt+b, you can turn it off for individual pages with one or maybe two presses of that key combination.

EDIT: The basic ruleset I'm using might even be better than the default-deny ruleset above:
pre:
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
behind-the-scene * 3p noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-frame noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-script noop
behind-the-scene * image noop
behind-the-scene * inline-script noop
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
no-scripting: behind-the-scene false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
With the full multi-account containers extension, is there any way to have the same behavior as the Facebook container extension, but only for some containers? For Facebook and friends I want the container to close and open a new tab in the default container if I navigate elsewhere or open a new tab from the Facebook container, but for some other stuff I want the default MAC behavior, where links visited or tabs opened from a container remain in it, even if the new site isn't in that container's list of applicable domains.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They put the tab bar context menu entries for closing multiple tabs in a submenu and they still didn't add "Close Tabs to the Left", so now it's a whole submenu for "Close Tabs to the Right" and "Close Other Tabs". :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Firefox had tab control perfect. Well, Tab Mix Plus did. Remember being able to choose from a massive list of commands and have them - and only them - show up in your context menu?

Now it's just so irritating to do anything with multiple tabs.

I'm still annoyed that, to bookmark all open tabs, you have to first select all tabs, then go to bookmark tabs. It's a pointless extra step. And, more importantly, takes more time which is a big issue given that the only time I want to bookmark everything is if something is going wonky or the power has started flickering.

Or opening multiple tabs without it stealing focus which I can't even believe is still a thing. How about a big "Do you ever want a tab or popup to steal focus? Yes/No?" line in about:config.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 4, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Or opening multiple tabs and not having it bog itself down by trying to load everything at exactly the same time, instead of just placing them a bit, which also helps prevent servers from blocking you with 429 errors.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Firefox had tab control perfect. Well, Tab Mix Plus did. Remember being able to choose from a massive list of commands and have them - and only them - show up in your context menu?

RIP Tab Mix Plus, you were too beautiful for this world.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I too am here to complain about tabs.

The new Firefox for Android tabs are a huge downgrade. Who thought it was a good idea to make an additional tab button necessary for opening a new tab and to place it at the furthest possible point on the screen from the first?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Whoever Mozilla hired to work on the stuff for tabs must have submitted this as their resumé:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
So, the Facebook Container extension has some feature where not only do sites in a container's list open in that container, the container will close and open a new tab in the default container if you navigate away from them. If I'm on Facebook, within the Facebook container, and click a link to fartpiss.com, fartpiss.com opens in a default container tab. The same is true if I enter a new URL in the address bar of an existing containerized tab.

With the full-blown multi-account container extension, this is different: when inside a container, navigating to a link or typing a URL whose domain isn't in the container list the tab remains inside the container/does not reopen a new tab in the default container.

I want the MAC extension behavior for some containers but not for others--Facebook and such I generally only want Facebook itself inside the container, and nothing else. Is there a way to toggle whether the containers use the FBC default behavior versus the MAC default behavior? If it's not possible to set on a per-container basis I'd be fine setting it to use the FBC-like behavior always.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Geemer posted:

Add an exception for youtube here:

Modern follow-up to this: To manage sites in the latest Firefox, how do I add them to this list?
:thunk: (Buttons obviously not there. No context menus, either.)

E: Solved, if somewhat poorly.
If I set the default to Block Audio and Video and then visit a site that plays video, I can then click the media icon in the URL bar to add an exception setting, then return the default to normal. Then change that specific site to what I want.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 6, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

So, the Facebook Container extension has some feature where not only do sites in a container's list open in that container, the container will close and open a new tab in the default container if you navigate away from them. If I'm on Facebook, within the Facebook container, and click a link to fartpiss.com, fartpiss.com opens in a default container tab. The same is true if I enter a new URL in the address bar of an existing containerized tab.

With the full-blown multi-account container extension, this is different: when inside a container, navigating to a link or typing a URL whose domain isn't in the container list the tab remains inside the container/does not reopen a new tab in the default container.

I want the MAC extension behavior for some containers but not for others--Facebook and such I generally only want Facebook itself inside the container, and nothing else. Is there a way to toggle whether the containers use the FBC default behavior versus the MAC default behavior? If it's not possible to set on a per-container basis I'd be fine setting it to use the FBC-like behavior always.

Sorry I don't think that's possible. MAC has no options.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

Modern follow-up to this: To manage sites in the latest Firefox, how do I add them to this list?
:thunk: (Buttons obviously not there. No context menus, either.)

E: Solved, if somewhat poorly.
If I set the default to Block Audio and Video and then visit a site that plays video, I can then click the media icon in the URL bar to add an exception setting, then return the default to normal. Then change that specific site to what I want.

:lol: What is UX design? And here I was thinking the original design was poorly thought out.

E: Wanna bet any bug report about it will be WONTFIX'd because the manbaby who designed it can't take any criticism and the roundabout bullshit you gotta do is "more intuitive"?

Geemer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 6, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Firefox has an incomprehensible labyrinthine UX that keeps changing for no good reason.

WONTFIX It keeps the Minotaur from escaping.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The list of sites for Enhanced Tracking Protection has the same problem.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Testing it on SA, the problem is as described. Viewing a page with embedded MP4 files won't normally give you a permissions dropdown from the icon in the url bar. But it will if you block all video by default.

At least on streaming sites it seems to work as intended and give you the dropdown straight away regardless of your default setting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that's a stupid design everywhere in Firefox. You can't add a site to a list (as exception or whatever) ahead of time, only way is to visit it and then find where the option to add it is buried, and maybe you need to activate something so the site requests the permission, before you're allowed to add it.
The Multi-account Containers extension has the same issue: I can't define a container and then a list of URLs to apply it to, I have to jump through hoops to put a site into a container. There isn't even an "open in a new container" thing for links.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea, though.
Design by committee?
(A committee being the only lifeform with many mouthes, more asses, and no brain)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the trick to force them to make changes is to write a nice addon that circumvents bad functionality. If it gets sufficiently popular then they get shamed into correcting it. Passive aggressive development. Could you add a range of autoplay block exceptions through an addon?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ola posted:

I think the trick to force them to make changes is to write a nice addon that circumvents bad functionality. If it gets sufficiently popular then they get shamed into correcting it. Passive aggressive development. Could you add a range of autoplay block exceptions through an addon?

Mozilla is way ahead of you: extensions can't interact with those types of settings.

I used to handle cookies this way, with firefox set to session only by default and a whitelist of sites to allow permanently. There was an extension that made adding to the whitelist very easy. Then mozilla changed things so that extensions couldn't touch the whitelist anymore, and I had to switch to Cookie Autodelete.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
So why don't more people in this thread actually just stop using FF, instead of complaining non stop.

Seems far easier. Or is the whinging what you want out of this.

i don't meant to be mean, but some of the reactions in here from people are literally hysterical. Like, seek help.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 7, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

A Grand Egg posted:

So why don't more people in this thread actually just stop using FF, instead of complaining non stop.

i don't meant to be mean, but some of the reactions in here from people are literally hysterical. Like, seek help.

Because chrome is worse, and no other browser is even worth mentioning

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I assume he's just here to troll given the lack of post history in this thread and his rap sheet. Someone looking for actual discourse wouldn't open by dismissing people's comments as hysterical and telling them to seek help.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Grand Egg posted:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I usually only post here to bitch about something, but I still really like Firefox.

It's sill leagues ahead of Chrome or Edge in letting the user control their experience.

We bitch because we care.

Also, because we remember when we could do this:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
don't reply to pariahs who have rap sheets like

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You have, without exaggeration, half a dozen banned alts, and yet you show no signs of slowing down. When you return, please try to figure out what it is you're doing wrong before you fast-track to a lifetime achievement award.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So at my work we're finally looking at switching over from the 32-bit ESR to the 64-bit as we move from version 68 to 78, since we've finally reached the point where the majority of our PCs are on 64-bit versions of Windows. But apparently Firefox considers the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browsers different release channels, so if I uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit it starts up with a brand new profile. It's easy enough for an experienced user to switch back with the profile manager, but this is way beyond our average user's capability.

Is there any way to force Firefox to just use the existing profile from first launch, even if it's from a different Firefox channel? I assume there's some file somewhere in that profile that tells what channel it's for, maybe I can mess with that?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Knormal posted:

So at my work we're finally looking at switching over from the 32-bit ESR to the 64-bit as we move from version 68 to 78, since we've finally reached the point where the majority of our PCs are on 64-bit versions of Windows. But apparently Firefox considers the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browsers different release channels, so if I uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit it starts up with a brand new profile. It's easy enough for an experienced user to switch back with the profile manager, but this is way beyond our average user's capability.

Is there any way to force Firefox to just use the existing profile from first launch, even if it's from a different Firefox channel? I assume there's some file somewhere in that profile that tells what channel it's for, maybe I can mess with that?
This doesn't really surprise me, as Firefox has also started making even point-releases (syntax being major.minor.point, ie. 78.0.0 to 78.0.1) version-incompatible, so if you update the on-disk binary, the in-memory binary will complain that it's not the newest version.

I just tested, and it looks like for me it pops up an 'Important News' dialogue-box where it basically says you have to setup a firefox account to sync stuff - so since you're in an enterprise environment, you may want to look into setting up your own sync server, and you'll probably also want to use autoconfig to set up authentication against the syncserver (which unfortunately can't be done with group policies, I think).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 7, 2020

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Setting up an on-prem sync server is way more work than I'm prepared to go through, but thanks for looking at it. I'm assuming we'll just have to rip the band-aid off and send out instructions on how to restore your profile, then hand-hold everyone who can't follow them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure when I updated to FF 78 but I can no longer Picture in Picture netflix? The blue button when you mouse-over the video doesn't appear. Anyone else experiencing that?

e; Ctrl + Shift + ] is the shortcut key to force it :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 8, 2020

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Is there a way to make this go away other than waiting for it to randomly disappear?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Booourns posted:

Is there a way to make this go away other than waiting for it to randomly disappear?

Click on it?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Booourns posted:

There's now a checkbox in it to hopefully turn it off for good.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Knormal posted:

You could try messing around with C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

Maybe changing the line StartWithLastProfile=1

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Geemer posted:

O poo poo looking forward to them removing that thanks

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

The checkbox just makes it not light up.

To get rid of it entirely, in about :config
browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled set to false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.providers.whats-new-panel edit the string to change "enabled":true, to false

then restart ff

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If that's not deliberate obfuscation, I don't know what is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Throw it in an arbitrary about:config setting no one will ever find" has been their way for quite a while now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

The checkbox just makes it not light up.

To get rid of it entirely, in about :config
browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled set to false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.providers.whats-new-panel edit the string to change "enabled":true, to false

then restart ff

Thank you for saving me from having to ask how to actually get rid of it next time Firefox updates! :tipshat:

E: I already had the first one set to false, so it must've been controlled by one of the two checkboxes I unticked in that panel.

D. Ebdrup posted:

If that's not deliberate obfuscation, I don't know what is.

It's better than the random poo poo they throw in and give no configuration options for, or even go out of their way to remove already present ones.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 8, 2020

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there an extension I can install to automate the execution of arbitrary JS on certain URLs? I created bookmarklets that set styles on certain elements to center fixed-width content. They work great when I remember to click them. I'd like something that will automatically execute these small snippets of JS when I'm on a matching URL.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

IAmKale posted:

Is there an extension I can install to automate the execution of arbitrary JS on certain URLs? I created bookmarklets that set styles on certain elements to center fixed-width content. They work great when I remember to click them. I'd like something that will automatically execute these small snippets of JS when I'm on a matching URL.
That's essentially what TamperMonkey does, isn't it? In a way. Don't know if you even have to adapt the JavaScript a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Using Javascript to implement CSS always feels wrong. I recall some concern about Stylish, but does it have a monitored for security alternative yet?